Google Groups

Terminators of Endearment (was Re: Well-written Books from Baen)

Sea Wasp Mar 24, 2003 6:37 PM
Posted in group: rec.arts.sf.written
Sea Wasp wrote:
> Brenda W. Clough wrote:
> >
> > Sea Wasp wrote:

> > >   Patience found this unexpected confrontation most distressing. Mr.
> > >Connor's wonted pleasant manner and courtesy were most shockingly
> > >lacking in this most recent speech. "Mr. Connor, I beg you, do not
> > >further ruin my heretofore pleasant impression of you by insulting my
> > >friend. Whatever lies between you and Mr. Terminus -- for clearly there
> > >must be some further history than that of which I am aware -- is not
> > >something which should be permitted to render impossible the simple
> > >courtesies of speech in front of a lady to which you but recently
> > >expressed several flattering pleasantries."
> > >
> > >   Mr. Connor had smiled, in a way Patience did not find at all
> > >comforting, when in her speech she had mentioned "further history". He
> > >rose, throwing back the unruly lock of wheat-colored hair which she had
> > >found so endearing, and turned his regard upon Mr. Terminus, whose
> > >expression was, if possible, more woodenly controlled than usual. "She
> > >knows something of what you are," he began, almost entirely ignoring
> > >Patience in a manner which she found, if anything, even more annoying
> > >than his prior manner of address, "but it would seem, Mr. Terminus, that
> > >you have neglected at least some important aspects of... history in your
> > >admissions. I confess to being somewhat at a loss to comprehend the
> > >precise reasoning behind your current course of action, yet even so you
> > >cannot deny the truth -- that you were sent here to find Patience and to
> > >kill her."
> > >
> > >   Patience felt the echoes of those last words pass through her as
> > >though they had, themselves, been fired from a pistol. She noted how
> > >very odd it was that she was turning towards Mr. Terminus to hear his
> > >reply, as though this were a simple conversation of the weather and
> > >doings about town. "Mr. Terminus?" she heard herself say, as though from
> > >a great distance. "Mr. Connors words are so outre' that I can scarce
> > >believe that I comprehend what is being said to me. Please tell me that
> > >my ears deceive me."
> > >
> > >   Mr. Terminus' face seemed as controlled as ever, yet beneath it
> > >Patience could discern a great working of the emotion which the
> > >clockwork man had said were the great gift and curse of his time here.
> > >Then he bowed his head and said, "I would give anything to speak those
> > >words, Miss Patience, yet it is not in me to speak aught but truth in
> > >these matters. But believe also that I speak truth, when I say that I
> > >have come to know you in these weeks, and that any thought of harm to
> > >you is long gone, replaced by something of which I cannot even speak at
> > >this time." He stepped away, a slow movement that Patience realized was
> > >meant to keep from frightening her, as though she were a small animal
> > >which might flee if startled, and turned towards Mr. Connor. "Would you,
> > >then, risk everything for both of us, and have me explain all? The
> [...]

        Silent moments passed after that grim pronouncement, and Patience
found, to her renewed surprise, that she was taking this concept in.
Many of the details were, quite naturally, beyond her immediate ability
to grasp, yet she had the sense of it. "So if I understand you aright,
Mr. Terminus, you are saying that another machine, a... 'Terminator'...
is here to finish the task which you have laid aside? And this one will
be willing to risk more damage to the -- what did you say? Era? -- in
which I live."

        "A succinct summation, Miss Patience." Mr. Terminus replied.

        Mr. Connor nodded. "We must get you away from here."

        Patience drew back from his extended hand. Seeing the hurt in both
men's expressions (for she could not think of Mr. Terminus as anything
but a man, for so he had behaved and spoken), she softened her
expression. "Mr. Connor, I appreciate your concern, and that of Mr.
Terminus, but surely you realize that no young lady of any quality
whatsoever could possibly simply leave in the company of two gentlemen!
I would be utterly ruined were I to do so; indeed, sirs, whatever mortal
wound this machine might deal me would be a gentler fate than what would
follow such a scandal."

        Mr. Connor looked utterly taken aback, as though she was speaking a
separate language, and began to protest in the strongest terms; to his
surprise a hand on his shoulder interrupted him. "While I feel precisely
as do you, Mr. Connor," Mr. Terminus said, "I cannot help but tell you
that she is, in fact, speaking the truth as she sees it. Miss Patience
has faith in the benevolence of the Creator, and knows that if she lives
a virtuous life she will see an eternal paradise as her reward, no
matter how swiftly or painfully her life here ends; yet if she loses
both society's recognition and that of all those whom she would call
friends or even relatives, then her life will truly be a visit to a hell
as terrible as anything written in her Bible. And, depending on just how
the Creator's judgement works, she might find that after such a fall,
there was a worse one awaiting at the end of her life."

        Mr. Connor's face, in another circumstance, might have been cause for
amusement; his expression was no less droll and contorted than would be
a Bishop's who had discovered a copy of the Canterbury Tales replacing
his copy of the Holy Book. "You *cannot* be telling me you believe all
that!" he expostulated.

        "What I believe is irrelevant. I am but a machine, without a soul
surely, and what imitation of life I have is only in this world. But I
do know that she, and many others, believe these things, and as you
should know, John Connor, nemesis of my own creator, belief is the most
powerful of all human forces."

        Mr. Connor stepped back, lips tightening. Then he sighed. "Da...That
is, you're right." He massaged his temples. "Then we have no choice but
to try to be ready to defend her, and the whole area. THAT won't be
easy, not without really drawing attention to ourselves that might mess
with the timestream even more than IT will."

        The humorless laugh which Mr. Terminus gave voice to seemed entirely
too appropriate to a machine, but his wry statement following carried
all too much human inflection. "That shall be the least of our concerns,
Mr. Connor. Consider for a moment what devastation a Terminator Model
1000 could wreak, unopposed, in this era, even if it can subsist only
upon whatever energy it has stored within.Restrain not your invention,
nor mine, with concern for such minor things as changes to the
timestream; when it arrives, all lives shall be changed, and not for the
better, unless we can stop it."

        Mr Connor nodded understanding, and returned his attention to Patience.
"Miss Patience, can I at least impose upon you to this extent; as much
as you humanly can arrange, ensure that one or the other of us is near
to you. We shall try to devise such defenses as we can, but..." he
seemed reluctant to continue, perhaps fearing that he might somehow
inadvertently offend her again.

        Patience nodded. "...but neither I, nor any of the household or those
nearby, are warriors. It is fortunate that both of you have arranged the
reputation of men of considerable means, for it means that it is to be
encouraged that I see you -- under proper circumstances, of course.
Still, if you can find some means by which I could at least improve my
own protection without risking my reputation, I would not take this

        Mr. Connor smiled faintly. "You have the heart of a warrior, Miss
Patience, simply to have listened to all of this, and a mind most
uncommon indeed to have grasped it all. If either of us can do so, we
most certainly shall give you any such defense we can devise. Now, as it
has been a most extended time we have spent talking, let us escort you
back to the terrace, and we shall take our leave after some appropriate
time." He glanced back at Mr. Terminus. "And then I believe we shall
have much work to do."

        Mr. Terminus raised an eyebrow and nodded. "I believe the apropos quote
would be 'stone knives and bearskins'."

        As she was escorted back, Patience did wonder if Mr. Connor was
overwrought; his laughter at Mr. Terminus' rather cryptic comment had
seemed somewhat overdone.

                    Sea Wasp