Google Groups

Re: Spam in the group.

Kevin G. Rhoads Nov 5, 2010 1:31 PM
Posted in group: openwatcom.users.fortran
1) Yes, there is SPAM.
2) Yes, there is a way to get rid of it.
3) this has been discussed before:
             Re: SPAM
             Wed, 10 Mar 2010 10:37:41 +0000
             Jonathan de Boyne Pollard <J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups@NTLWorld.COM>
             Wacks Wicks Works
             1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5

>> I don't recall what the OpenWatcom server's reaction to cancel
>> messages is. Forged cancellations is not a route that we really
>> should go down, though.
> I presume you mean "forced cancellations"!
No.  I really do mean forged.  Cancelling the messages of someone else
whose posting one doesn't have direct authority over involves cancel
message forgery. See Tim Skirvin's cancel messages FAQ document.

> My NNTP server for OW is - guess what? -!
That's not the case for other people, remember.  This newsgroup
hierarchy is carried by many servers.  Many people can pick these
newsgroups up on their local Usenet servers, run by their ISPs. Your
initial message in this thread, for example, passed through Highwinds
Media, Robert Joosten's,, and Christof Meerwald's
servers before it reached me.

> After Easter I will probably have the time to try to set up the
> filter, and to remove the already existing SPAM.
Good.  You can tell people what regular expressions you come up with for
picking out the junk back messages.

> Question: If posts are removed from the master server, would that
> automatically remove them from mirrors, or would each mirror's
> administrator need to be involved?
Those are false premises.  The other servers aren't mirrors, and the
server that you use isn't a master.  All servers are on an equal
footing.  This is NetNews.  There's no central authority, and each
server administrator owns xyr own server sets xyr own policy.  Each
server administrator sets xyr own policy for honouring cancel messages,
too.  (This is in M. Skirvin's FAQ document, too.  I suggest reading it.)

The best that you can hope for, certainly for a retrospective cleaning
going back years, is to convince M. Chapin and server administrators
like me (and Jack Troughton, if xe is still around).  You almost
certainly have no hope of (for example) cleaning all of the junk from in
the past half decade or so of back messages in the openwatcom.*
hierarchy held on the Usenet servers of Highwinds Media.  You certainly
have no hope of cleaning anything out of Google Groups' back messages.