Re: [zines aus] Digest for zine...@googlegroups.com - 1 Message in 1 Topic

Showing 1-4 of 4 messages
Re: [zines aus] Digest for zine...@googlegroups.com - 1 Message in 1 Topic Elle 7/6/11 4:19 AM
There's something about voting for your zine mates in a popularity
contest that makes me feel distinctly uncomfortable. And it
feels...nepotistic. I may just be in my own isolated bubble feeling
this. One of the hard things for me with zines is always being alert
to avoiding falling into self contained circles or cliques. We're all
guilty of this to a certain degree, it comes with any small sub
culture. For me, a competition like this just reinforces a crappy
notion of zine celebrity. Like a "who's hot who's not". Which for me
is really distasteful. Am I alone in this? Just wondering what others
thought?

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 7:39 PM,  <zines-au...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>   Today's Topic Summary
>
> Group: http://groups.google.com/group/zines-aus/topics
>
> Preliminary Voting [1 Update]
>
>  Topic: Preliminary Voting
>
> Simon Gray <yummyl...@gmail.com> Jul 05 08:37PM +0930 ^
>
> Hello & thank you for nominating for the 2011 Golden Stapler Award
>
> The awkward preliminary voting is up on the webpage now:
> http://goldenstapler.tumblr.com/
>
> I say awkward because this is where the larger list of every nominee
> gets shortened via the voting to the more exclusive, more voted for,
> short list. If the Golden Stapler awards were a reality show, this is
> the painful elimination episode.
>
> If you're a nominee, I'd like to strongly suggest to make sure you stock
> your zines in available zine shops, for which I have included some
> contact details for below, from the zines shops we're aware of. There
> are also some great distros out there you can find to stock with as well.
>
> con...@format.net.au
> PO Box 8119
> Station Arcade
> Adelaide 5000
> South Australia
> http://format.net.au/
>
> zine...@gmail.com
> http://www.zineshop.com.au/
>
> downs...@stickyinstitute.com
> Sticky Institute
> PO Box 310
> Flinders Lane
> Melbourne, Victoria 8009
> http://www.stickyinstitute.com/
>
> chris(at)thepapermill.org.au
> contact(at)thepapermill.org.au
> The Paper Mill
> Ash St, Shop 2, 1 Angel Pl
> Sydney NSW 2000
> Australia
> http://www.thepapermill.org.au/
>
> In theory, people can access & read your zine from here & make an
> informed vote.
> Of course, at this stage, I assume you can also spam the hell out of
> your friends & try to get votes that way. You yourself can vote as much
> as you like. Short of assembling a national zine awards jury, the
> uninformed popularity vote is the best we have to go on to dole out the
> 2011 Golden Stapler Awards.
>
> GO BANANAS

Re: [zines aus] Digest for zine...@googlegroups.com - 1 Message in 1 Topic Miss Helen 7/6/11 5:00 AM
Thanks Elle.

To me, zines are so NOT about competition that I can't help but take
it light heartedly, while still respecting Simon Grey and his zine
related adventures!

I think being in self contained circles is something that I love about
zines- that your zine doesn't need to reach everyone, it doesn't have
to be in every shop that wants to sell zines, that you can cast the
nest big or keep it small.

Zine celebrity, to me, is always a bit of a crock, because the most
beautiful part of the whole zine process, to me, is so quiet and slow
and private. Making them in your bedroom, quietly photocopying and
collating them, making a quiet personal connection with readers on a
very deep level.

Anyone else? If you're reading, please feel free to chime in. We are
australian zine culture. You *are* qualified to voice your opinion, so
do, if you wanna!

--
www.spycore.net

Re: [zines aus] Digest for zine...@googlegroups.com - 1 Message in 1 Topic Simon Gray 7/6/11 5:37 PM
Perhaps I should stress in response to Eloise's message that voting is
optional, as was nominating. People/zines who want to avoid this kind of
attention can & are. There are loads more zines produced in the past 12
months that were never nominated, as much as I hope they had the chance
to hear about the golden stapler awards, even as amazing & award
deserving I thought various zines to be, they're not listed out of their
choice.

& They can remain content in their shy cliques, away from the glory I
think they deserve as zine makers.

Simon

http://www.redbubble.com/people/yummylychees

Re: [zines aus] Digest for zine...@googlegroups.com - 1 Message in 1 Topic Emma 7/6/11 6:03 PM
like helen, when simon sent his call out i thought it was such a silly idea it could only really be taken lightheartedly. elle's comment has made me feel a bit embarrassed to have been nominated, because i certainly don't want to seem like i'm seriously, blood-thirstily competing with my zine making comrades to be top banana. i can see where she's coming from, but would anyone really be treating this as a way of competing their way to the top of the zine scene? how could they, when no such thing exists, at least not in the unified way she suggests. for me, this is evidenced in the fact that i haven't heard of many of the people/zines in this first round of nominations. that says a lot about my own involvement with zines, but also confirms, i think, what helen says about zines already existing in contained circles. so maybe this competition (which is really only as competitive as say, trying to win best costume at a fancy dress party) will be a way of demonstrating how diverse the australian zine community/communities is/are, and hopefully allowing some of those more shy zinesters to nominate/vote for themsleves and their friends so that the usual suspects don't get a shoe in. if it does do that, it will be a good thing. if it doesn't, i don't think it will do any harm.

oh, sorry if this got a bit long! xEmma d