Re: [zines aus] Digest for zine...@googlegroups.com - 4 Messages in 1 Topic

Showing 1-3 of 3 messages
Re: [zines aus] Digest for zine...@googlegroups.com - 4 Messages in 1 Topic Elle 7/7/11 5:10 AM
Hey Emma has made a really good point, as per miss helen, about the
goodness of the golden staple awards raising the profile of zines you
might not otherwise have come across, BECAUSE of the way small circles
of zinemakers operate. So good point. And true, it's a pisstake
competition thing, so I'm going to one extreme in my thinking.
I guess the problem with the golden staple awards is that
-it's going to be super hard to get to read all the nominated zines,
because there's no organised way to access their work
-only friends will be aware of other friends works, so it's more
likely that if this becomes an annual event, it's going to be the same
names coming up each year, the same people voting for the same people.

I guess what would make it better would be some organised way for the
golden staples to make the zines accessible to anyone who wants to
take part, in fact that's the best possible outcome, maybe a mail
order pack you can buy from format that contain all the nominations?
so people are being exposed to titles they wouldn't otherwise? In
which case it's a positive thing.

but it comes back to...only the people knowing about the nominated
zines/zinemakers who are likely to vote, like the whole thing is
encouraging cliques rather than breaking them down.

Like Simon has pointed out, the whole thing is optional, and designed
to raise the profile of zines and like others have said, it's a piss
take, so I'm overthinking the whole thing. It's a classic Eloise
moment. "Enjoy".

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 7:16 PM,  <zines-au...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>   Today's Topic Summary
>
> Group: http://groups.google.com/group/zines-aus/topics
>
> Digest for zine...@googlegroups.com - 1 Message in 1 Topic [4 Updates]
>
>  Topic: Digest for zine...@googlegroups.com - 1 Message in 1 Topic
>
> Eloise Peace <three...@gmail.com> Jul 06 09:19PM +1000 ^
>
> There's something about voting for your zine mates in a popularity
> contest that makes me feel distinctly uncomfortable. And it
> feels...nepotistic. I may just be in my own isolated bubble feeling
> this. One of the hard things for me with zines is always being alert
> to avoiding falling into self contained circles or cliques. We're all
> guilty of this to a certain degree, it comes with any small sub
> culture. For me, a competition like this just reinforces a crappy
> notion of zine celebrity. Like a "who's hot who's not". Which for me
> is really distasteful. Am I alone in this? Just wondering what others
> thought?
>

> Miss Helen <miss....@gmail.com> Jul 06 10:00PM +1000 ^
>
> Thanks Elle.
>
> To me, zines are so NOT about competition that I can't help but take
> it light heartedly, while still respecting Simon Grey and his zine
> related adventures!
>
> I think being in self contained circles is something that I love about
> zines- that your zine doesn't need to reach everyone, it doesn't have
> to be in every shop that wants to sell zines, that you can cast the
> nest big or keep it small.
>
> Zine celebrity, to me, is always a bit of a crock, because the most
> beautiful part of the whole zine process, to me, is so quiet and slow
> and private. Making them in your bedroom, quietly photocopying and
> collating them, making a quiet personal connection with readers on a
> very deep level.
>
> Anyone else? If you're reading, please feel free to chime in. We are
> australian zine culture. You *are* qualified to voice your opinion, so
> do, if you wanna!
>

> --
> www.spycore.net
>

> Simon Gray <yummyl...@gmail.com> Jul 07 10:07AM +0930 ^
>
> Perhaps I should stress in response to Eloise's message that voting is
> optional, as was nominating. People/zines who want to avoid this kind of
> attention can & are. There are loads more zines produced in the past 12
> months that were never nominated, as much as I hope they had the chance
> to hear about the golden stapler awards, even as amazing & award
> deserving I thought various zines to be, they're not listed out of their
> choice.
>
> & They can remain content in their shy cliques, away from the glory I
> think they deserve as zine makers.
>
> Simon
>

> http://www.redbubble.com/people/yummylychees
>

> Eloise Peace wrote:
>

> Emma Davidson <eternal...@gmail.com> Jul 07 11:03AM +1000 ^
>
> like helen, when simon sent his call out i thought it was such a silly idea
> [...]

Re: [zines aus] Digest for zine...@googlegroups.com - 4 Messages in 1 Topic Sarah Howell 7/8/11 8:13 AM
I like the idea of people getting packs of zines. My hubbie Dave got
asked to judge a New Zealand mini-comics award thing and got sent a
pack of the nominated comics. They deliberately wanted someone outside
their scene to contribute to the judging.

Of course saying these things doesn't help the Golden Stapler awards
as they are set up now, but this discussion Eloise has prompted is
definitely useful.

Sarah H

Re: [zines aus] Digest for zine...@googlegroups.com - 4 Messages in 1 Topic Simon Gray 7/8/11 7:30 PM
Zine packs do sound great but there are limits to how much time I can
dedicate to this, a Google form once a month & a trip to Newcastle I'll
do. But I'll require a volunteer to go around administrating mailing
lists, if anyone wants to do that, please come into the Format zine shop
& make yourself known, we're open 3-6PM Monday to Saturday here in Adelaide.
 From my own point of view at Format, I've heard of a marginal amount of
the nominated zines myself, & hardly any have responded to the
announcement of the preliminary voting which I posted to them with their
supplied e-mail address, so any mailing list admins will need to solicit
the zines & have them delivered before they can then in turn mail them
out to any interested parties. Next month, when it's short list voting
time, I'd be encouraging zine shops to solicit the nominated zinesters,
not the other way around, so people can get their hands on the
hot-with-contest zines.

I'd also love to assemble a respectable jury to award the prizes, but as
has been pointed out here in these e-mails, zines are produced in small
communities & these awards are attempting to stretch recognition of
these respective talent pools nationally. The stretch is proving a tad
uncomfortable as the voting tightens in. The idea of a jury that
accurately represents zine expertise as well as the geographic spread of
our national population, & communicates well enough to achieve consensus
& stays in touch long enough for as many years as the awards can keep
going for, well, forgive me, this seemed a tad unrealistic so I opted
for a Logies style popularity contest.

Did anyone hear who won that award that Queensland library was giving
away for a zine, the one with the $30 entry fee?

Simon
Format Zine Shop
http://goldenstapler.tumblr.com/

http://www.redbubble.com/people/yummylychees