It's Alive!

Showing 1-29 of 29 messages
It's Alive! Robin Dunn 5/23/12 11:05 PM
Hey all,

I've got some good news.  Here are a few thousand pictures to tell you
all about it:  http://wxpython.org/Phoenix/ItsAlive/

--
Robin Dunn
Software Craftsman

Re: [wxPython-dev] It's Alive! werner 5/23/12 11:33 PM
On 24/05/2012 08:05, Robin Dunn wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I've got some good news.  Here are a few thousand pictures to tell you
> all about it:  http://wxpython.org/Phoenix/ItsAlive/

Wow!

Great news, is it really just the mouse who does the happy dance?!

Werner
Re: [wxPython-dev] It's Alive! Robin Dunn 5/23/12 11:44 PM
Yeah, I was bouncing around a bit too.  :-)
Re: [wxPython-dev] It's Alive! Infinity77 5/24/12 12:02 AM
On 24 May 2012 08:05, Robin Dunn wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I've got some good news.  Here are a few thousand pictures to tell you all
> about it:  http://wxpython.org/Phoenix/ItsAlive/

Congratulations! That looks very nice (and I especially liked the
mouse dance :-D ).

Judging from the number of people wishing to have wxPython running on Python 3:

http://www.python.org/3kpoll

I am sure what you have done will be another great success. I guess
now I will have to dive into the sphinx_generator and adapt it to run
on Python 3 as well ;-)

Andrea.

http://xoomer.alice.it/infinity77/
Re: [wxPython-dev] It's Alive! mike 5/24/12 7:20 AM
Robin,Nice! Congratulations! I am going to mention this on my blog, if you don't mind. Do you have an ETA for a preview build or anything too?

-------------------
Mike Driscoll

Blog:   http://blog.pythonlibrary.org
Re: [wxPython-dev] It's Alive! Chris Barker 5/24/12 10:36 AM
Wow!

This is *seriously * geeky fun -- command-line compiler output whooo hoo!

congrats, Robin -- this is really great.

-Chris

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris....@noaa.gov
Re: [wxPython-dev] It's Alive! Robin Dunn 5/24/12 11:15 AM
On 5/24/12 12:02 AM, Andrea Gavana wrote:
> On 24 May 2012 08:05, Robin Dunn wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I've got some good news.  Here are a few thousand pictures to tell you all
>> about it:  http://wxpython.org/Phoenix/ItsAlive/
>
> Congratulations! That looks very nice (and I especially liked the
> mouse dance :-D ).
>
> Judging from the number of people wishing to have wxPython running on Python 3:
>
> http://www.python.org/3kpoll
>
> I am sure what you have done will be another great success. I guess
> now I will have to dive into the sphinx_generator and adapt it to run
> on Python 3 as well ;-)

I've already made some changes that I'll commit to SVN later.  My
changes were essentially just the minimum needed to be able to import
the sphinx-related modules, e.g. correcting for absolute/relative
imports, syntax errors, and imported modules that have moved or
disappeared.  I haven't tried running the docs building commands yet.
On 5/24/12 7:20 AM, Mike Driscoll wrote:
> Nice! Congratulations! I am going to mention this on my blog, if you
> don't mind.

Sure, go ahead.

> Do you have an ETA for a preview build or anything too?

Not yet.  Once we have some buildbot slaves set up with Python3 then
there will be daily snapshot builds being made and uploaded to
http://wxpython.org/Phoenix/snapshot-builds/.
Re: [wxPython-dev] It's Alive! mike 5/24/12 12:21 PM
Have you ever tried Travis CI or ShiningPanda? I was just reading about them the other day.

--
Re: [wxPython-dev] It's Alive! Robin Dunn 5/24/12 5:09 PM
Here is the massive changeset in case anybody is curious as to what

-------------------
Re: [wxPython-dev] It's Alive! Infinity77 6/5/12 1:39 PM
On 24 May 2012 08:05, Robin Dunn wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I've got some good news.  Here are a few thousand pictures to tell you all
> about it:  http://wxpython.org/Phoenix/ItsAlive/

Just in case someone is interested in the Windows version of that, I
was able to compile everything without a glitch (thanks to the
flexibility of the building scripts), against PortablePython 3.2.1.1
on Windows 7.

I have shamelessly copied Robin's sample app and executed...
screenshot attached :-D
Re: [wxPython-dev] It's Alive! OlyDLG 7/5/12 11:04 PM
Hi, all, and a belated congratulations and mega-thank-you to Robin: this is what I was waiting for to start to move to Py3K.

I downloaded the 7/3 build-bot snapshot, unpacked it, read the README.txt, copied the wx folder to my Python 3.2 site-packages, and didn't do anything else 'cause I'm on a Windoze 7 box.  When I type help('modules'), wx is listed, so it's being found OK.  However, the first time I typed import wx, I got:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "C:\Python32\lib\site-packages\wx\__init__.py", line 17, in <module>
    from wx.core import *
  File "C:\Python32\lib\site-packages\wx\core.py", line 6, in <module>
    from ._core import *
ImportError: DLL load failed: %1 is not a valid Win32 application.

That's when I typed help('modules') and found that wx was listed.  So I tried import wx again and this time I got:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "C:\Python32\lib\site-packages\wx\__init__.py", line 12, in <module>
    __version__ = wx.__version__.VERSION_STRING
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute '__version__'

Any ideas?  Thanks!

OlyDLG
Re: [wxPython-dev] It's Alive! Infinity77 7/6/12 8:14 AM
Hi,

On 6 July 2012 08:04, OlyDLG wrote:
> Hi, all, and a belated congratulations and mega-thank-you to Robin: this is
> what I was waiting for to start to move to Py3K.
>
> I downloaded the 7/3 build-bot snapshot, unpacked it, read the README.txt,
> copied the wx folder to my Python 3.2 site-packages, and didn't do anything
> else 'cause I'm on a Windoze 7 box.  When I type help('modules'), wx is
> listed, so it's being found OK.  However, the first time I typed import wx,
> I got:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>   File "C:\Python32\lib\site-packages\wx\__init__.py", line 17, in <module>
>     from wx.core import *
>   File "C:\Python32\lib\site-packages\wx\core.py", line 6, in <module>
>     from ._core import *
> ImportError: DLL load failed: %1 is not a valid Win32 application.
>
> That's when I typed help('modules') and found that wx was listed.  So I
> tried import wx again and this time I got:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>   File "C:\Python32\lib\site-packages\wx\__init__.py", line 12, in <module>
>     __version__ = wx.__version__.VERSION_STRING
> AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute '__version__'

I know that it may sound like a stupid question, but is your Python
installation 32-bit or 64-bit?

-
Andrea.

http://xoomer.alice.it/infinity77/

# ------------------------------------------------------------- #
def ask_mailing_list_support(email):

    if mention_platform_and_version() and include_sample_app():
        send_message(email)
    else:
        install_malware()
        erase_hard_drives()
# ------------------------------------------------------------- #
Re: It's Alive! OlyDLG 7/6/12 9:45 AM
As I didn't say, it's not a stupid question at all: 64-bit (for which I've been "scolded" previously); I assume your advice is to go 32-bit?  Thanks!
Re: [wxPython-dev] Re: It's Alive! mike 7/6/12 10:43 AM

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 11:45 AM, OlyDLG <eulergau...@gmail.com> wrote:
As I didn't say, it's not a stupid question at all: 64-bit (for which I've been "scolded" previously); I assume your advice is to go 32-bit?  Thanks!

I think all Andrea was saying was that you need to make sure your Python and your wxPython are the same. Both should be 32-bit or 64-bit. You'll have issues if you try to apply a 64-bit version of wx to a 32-bit version of Python (or vice versa).

-------------------
Re: [wxPython-dev] Re: It's Alive! Infinity77 7/6/12 11:14 AM
Hi,

On 6 July 2012 18:45, OlyDLG  wrote:
> As I didn't say, it's not a stupid question at all: 64-bit (for which I've
> been "scolded" previously); I assume your advice is to go 32-bit?  Thanks!

Well, this is the file name for the Windows binaries of Phoenix:

wxPython-Phoenix-r71948-win32-py3.2.tar.gz

There is a "win32" label on that file name, so I would suppose that it
has been built for Python 32 bit. You now have 2 alternatives:

1) Use a 32 bit version of Python 3;
2) Build Phoenix yourself on 64 bit Python 3 (I did it myself a few
weeks back, and it was surprisingly easy).

--
Re: [wxPython-dev] Re: It's Alive! OlyDLG 7/6/12 12:58 PM
Yes, but many 32-bit apps still run on 64-bit, so I figured it was worth a try; I forgot that the win32 probably (necessarily?) implied that the Python it would need to run against would also have to be 32-bit.

As far as my alternatives at this point: advice from CB notwithstanding, I'd like to give the latter a try; if I download the source, I don't suppose it comes w/ a setup.py?  If not, what's the approach?  A Visual Studio Project?  Thanks!
Re: [wxPython-dev] Re: It's Alive! Infinity77 7/6/12 1:18 PM
Hi,

On 6 July 2012 21:58, OlyDLG wrote:
> Yes, but many 32-bit apps still run on 64-bit, so I figured it was worth a
> try; I forgot that the win32 probably (necessarily?) implied that the Python
> it would need to run against would also have to be 32-bit.
>
> As far as my alternatives at this point: advice from CB notwithstanding, I'd
> like to give the latter a try; if I download the source, I don't suppose it
> comes w/ a setup.py?  If not, what's the approach?  A Visual Studio Project?
> Thanks!

This is what I did (based on Robin's recommendations):

1) Got the wxWidgets sources from SVN;
2) Got the Phoenix sources from SVN;
3) Installed cygwin;
4) Installed Visual Studio 2008;

Then followed Robin's advice, quoted below:

"""
I think you should probably already have everything else that you need
since you are able run the etg scripts and build the docs.  The
build.py tool will download a sip binary (and will also update it when
I switch to new versions) so if you also have Visual Studio 2008 then
I think you should be good to go.  Just make sure that the cl.exe
executable is on the PATH and that the link.exe found first on the
PATH is the one from VisualStudio and not the one from cygwin.  I
don't remember for sure but some of the command line tools like nmake
may be an optional part of the install for Visual Studio, so you may
want to double check that.

Currently the "build" command in build.py will run both the build_wx
command (which builds wx widgets) and the setup_py command (which will
build Phoenix using setup.py.)  There is also a new build command
available for building Phoenix called "waf_py" which uses the waf tool
instead of setup.py.  It doesn't support installs yet which is why I
haven't switched it to be the default, but since you can run in-place
after the build using the Phoenix/wx dir as your wx package there
hasn't been a strong need for duplicating install and other distutils
commands yet.  Anyway, building with waf is lots faster[1] because it
can do parallel builds (build.py defaults to 1 build job per processor
core) and it will do better dependency checking and skip recompiling
files that don't need to be rebuilt.  Build.py will download a copy of
waf automatically if you run this command so you don't need to worry
about installing anything and keeping it up to date, just like the sip
binary.  To use it use the "build_wx waf_py" commands with build.py
instead of just "build".
Re: [wxPython-dev] Re: It's Alive! OlyDLG 7/6/12 1:22 PM
OK, I installed 32-bit Py3.2.3 on my work comp. and downloaded today's 32-bit snapshot build, and it imports fine, so I'm confident that, one way or another, I can make it work on my pers. comp.; now all I have to do is hope that (I can get) SPE, numpy, and perhaps PIL (to) work--anyone happen to know if any of these definitely _won't_ work in Py3K and/or "play nice" w/ Phoenix?
Re: [wxPython-dev] Re: It's Alive! OlyDLG 7/6/12 1:24 PM
Excellent!  (And good to have this in this in this list somewhere--or is it already in another thread, in which case, sorry.)  Wish me luck, and thanks again!
Re: [wxPython-dev] Re: It's Alive! mike 7/6/12 1:27 PM

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 3:22 PM, OlyDLG <eulergau...@gmail.com> wrote:
OK, I installed 32-bit Py3.2.3 on my work comp. and downloaded today's 32-bit snapshot build, and it imports fine, so I'm confident that, one way or another, I can make it work on my pers. comp.; now all I have to do is hope that (I can get) SPE, numpy, and perhaps PIL (to) work--anyone happen to know if any of these definitely _won't_ work in Py3K and/or "play nice" w/ Phoenix?

PIL doesn't officially support Python 3, but I've been told about this unofficial channel: http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/

I don't know about the others.

Re: [wxPython-dev] Re: It's Alive! Robin Dunn 7/6/12 1:47 PM
On 7/6/12 9:45 AM, OlyDLG wrote:
> As I didn't say, it's not a stupid question at all: 64-bit (for which
> I've been "scolded" previously); I assume your advice is to go 32-bit?

Yes.  I haven't set up any build slaves to make Win64 builds yet.
Anybody want to host one?  It will need to have cygwin, MS VisualStudio
2008, a 64-bit Python[1], and maybe a couple other things I don't
remember at the moment.

[1] The build slave tools will require Python 2.7 since they depend on
things that are not available in Python3 yet.  If the build slave will
also be used to build binaries for Python3 then it will also need to
have Python 3.2 installed.
On 7/6/12 1:22 PM, OlyDLG wrote:
> OK, I installed 32-bit Py3.2.3 on my work comp. and downloaded today's
> 32-bit snapshot build, and it imports fine, so I'm confident that, one
> way or another, I can make it work on my pers. comp.; now all I have to
> do is hope that (I can get) SPE, numpy, and perhaps PIL (to)
> work--anyone happen to know if any of these definitely _won't_ work in
> Py3K and/or "play nice" w/ Phoenix?

I heard yesterday from another numpy user that numpy hasn't started on a
Python3 port and has no plans in the short-term to do so.  I expect that
SPE will not work as it is based on wxPython and there will be a number
of API changes in Phoenix, plus the wx.lib modules have not been ported
to Phoenix and Python3 yet.
Re: [wxPython-dev] Re: It's Alive! Amaury 7/6/12 2:00 PM
2012/7/6 Robin Dunn <ro...@alldunn.com>:
> I heard yesterday from another numpy user that numpy hasn't started on a
> Python3 port and has no plans in the short-term to do so.

Really?
Its source code contains specific code for python3
   https://github.com/numpy/numpy/blob/master/setup.py#L159
And there are win32 binaries to download for Python 3.1 and 3.2:
   http://sourceforge.net/projects/numpy/files/NumPy/1.6.2/

--
Amaury Forgeot d'Arc
Re: [wxPython-dev] Re: It's Alive! Chris Barker 7/6/12 2:03 PM
On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 1:47 PM, Robin Dunn <ro...@alldunn.com> wrote:

> I heard yesterday from another numpy user that numpy hasn't started on a
> Python3 port and has no plans in the short-term to do so.

Huh?

numpy has had a py3k version for quite a while -- not sure how well
used/tested it is, but it's there.

There are even Windows binaries for it on the official download site:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/numpy/files/NumPy/1.6.2/

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
NOAA/NOS/OR&R            (206) 526-6959   voice
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax
Seattle, WA  98115       (206) 526-6317   main reception

Chris....@noaa.gov
Re: [wxPython-dev] Re: It's Alive! Robin Dunn 7/6/12 2:04 PM
On 7/6/12 2:00 PM, Amaury Forgeot d'Arc wrote:
> 2012/7/6 Robin Dunn<ro...@alldunn.com>:
>> I heard yesterday from another numpy user that numpy hasn't started on a
>> Python3 port and has no plans in the short-term to do so.
>
> Really?
> Its source code contains specific code for python3
>     https://github.com/numpy/numpy/blob/master/setup.py#L159
> And there are win32 binaries to download for Python 3.1 and 3.2:
>     http://sourceforge.net/projects/numpy/files/NumPy/1.6.2/

Ah, that's good to hear.  I guess the person who told me was not fully
informed and up to date.

--
Robin Dunn
Software Craftsman

Re: [wxPython-dev] Re: It's Alive! Infinity77 7/6/12 2:40 PM
On 6 July 2012 22:47, Robin Dunn wrote:
> On 7/6/12 1:22 PM, OlyDLG wrote:
>>
>> OK, I installed 32-bit Py3.2.3 on my work comp. and downloaded today's
>> 32-bit snapshot build, and it imports fine, so I'm confident that, one
>> way or another, I can make it work on my pers. comp.; now all I have to
>> do is hope that (I can get) SPE, numpy, and perhaps PIL (to)
>> work--anyone happen to know if any of these definitely _won't_ work in
>> Py3K and/or "play nice" w/ Phoenix?
>

> I heard yesterday from another numpy user that numpy hasn't started on a
> Python3 port and has no plans in the short-term to do so.  I expect that SPE
> will not work as it is based on wxPython and there will be a number of API
> changes in Phoenix, plus the wx.lib modules have not been ported to Phoenix
> and Python3 yet.

About the wx.lib porting effort: I have given a shot at modernize:

https://github.com/mitsuhiko/python-modernize

Which seems to behave reasonably well (I just did a very quick test).
Of course, it adds dependencies on the `six` module and it doesn't
guarantee the results, so I'll try and run some more intelligent tests
this week end. Or we may just start with Amaury's patches and try and
backport them to make the source 2 and 3 compliant (not sure how much
fun that will be).

As far as I can see, all the major site-packages now have a Python 3
version (at least all of the ones I use), except py2exe and wxPython.
But py2exe is easily replaceable, wxPython is not :-)

One question, before I'll dive into this wx.lib fun stuff: is anything
going to happen to the Py* classes (i.e., wx.PyScrolledWindow,
wx.PyControl and so on)? Sorry if I missed this info in the Phoenix
readme files.

Andrea.

http://xoomer.alice.it/infinity77/

# ------------------------------------------------------------- #
def ask_mailing_list_support(email):

    if mention_platform_and_version() and include_sample_app():
        send_message(email)
    else:
        install_malware()
        erase_hard_drives()
Re: [wxPython-dev] Re: It's Alive! Robin Dunn 7/7/12 12:05 AM
On 7/6/12 2:40 PM, Andrea Gavana wrote:
> One question, before I'll dive into this wx.lib fun stuff: is anything
> going to happen to the Py* classes (i.e., wx.PyScrolledWindow,
> wx.PyControl and so on)? Sorry if I missed this info in the Phoenix
> readme files.

They are still there, but are deprecated aliases of the real class.
More topics »