Vagrantfile plugin dependencies

Showing 1-6 of 6 messages
Vagrantfile plugin dependencies Bjorn W 1/8/14 2:42 AM
Hi,

I'm creating a Vagrantfile which uses https://github.com/cogitatio/vagrant-hostsupdater to automatically setup a host's /etc/hosts file so I can access Virtualhost on guests easily from the host. If I'm distributing this Vagrantfile with other people how can I make sure this plugin will be loaded for them when using my Vagrantfile?

Thanks,

grtz
BjornW
Re: [vagrant-up] Vagrantfile plugin dependencies Mitchell Hashimoto 1/8/14 8:06 AM
Bjorn,

At the moment, all you can do is a `Vagrant.has_plugin?` check. There is also `Vagrant.require_plugin` but that is not what you expect and is deprecated in 1.5 (does nothing).

In the future, you'll be able to actually list out plugin dependencies, but as of now that isn't the case. The best you can do now is show an error.

Best,
Mitchell

Re: [vagrant-up] Vagrantfile plugin dependencies Torben Knerr 1/8/14 10:02 AM

Hey Bjorn,

Check out bindler in the meantime:
https://github.com/fgrehm/bindler

@mitchellh: great to hear that plugin dependency management will be part of vagrant core soon!

HTH,
Torben

Re: [vagrant-up] Vagrantfile plugin dependencies Bjorn W 1/8/14 12:56 PM
Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for your quick reply. I'll look into Vagrant.has_plugin and
Bindler (thanks Torben!) to solve my issue. Looking forward to see
plugin management becoming part of Vagrant.

ps: Thanks for your work on Vagrant, it is very much appreciated!

grtz
BjornW

On 01/08/2014 05:06 PM, Mitchell Hashimoto wrote:
> Bjorn,
>
> At the moment, all you can do is a `Vagrant.has_plugin?` check. There
> is also `Vagrant.require_plugin` but that is not what you expect and
> is deprecated in 1.5 (does nothing).
>
> In the future, you'll be able to actually list out plugin
> dependencies, but as of now that isn't the case. The best you can do
> now is show an error.
>
> Best,
> Mitchell
>

> On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 2:42 AM, Bjorn W <buro...@gmail.com
> <mailto:buro...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     I'm creating a Vagrantfile which uses
>     https://github.com/cogitatio/vagrant-hostsupdater to automatically
>     setup a host's /etc/hosts file so I can access Virtualhost on
>     guests easily from the host. If I'm distributing this Vagrantfile
>     with other people how can I make sure this plugin will be loaded
>     for them when using my Vagrantfile?
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     grtz
>     BjornW
>     --

met vriendelijke groet,
Bjorn Wijers

* b u r o b j o r n .nl *
digitaal vakmanschap | digital craftsmanship

Werkdagen:
Van maandag t/m donderdag vanaf 10:00
Vrijdag is voor experimenteren en eigen projecten.

Postbus 14145
3508 SE Utrecht
The Netherlands

tel: +31 6 49 74 78 70
http://www.burobjorn.nl

Re: [vagrant-up] Vagrantfile plugin dependencies John Bellone 1/14/14 10:22 AM
Thanks Mitchell, awesome work!

In the future, you'll be able to actually list out plugin dependencies, but as of now that isn't the case. The best you can do now is show an error.

Is that future 1.5? Just ran into the deprecation warning and wondering how I'm able to require a plugin.

Best,
Mitchell

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 2:42 AM, Bjorn W <buro...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I'm creating a Vagrantfile which uses https://github.com/cogitatio/vagrant-hostsupdater to automatically setup a host's /etc/hosts file so I can access Virtualhost on guests easily from the host. If I'm distributing this Vagrantfile with other people how can I make sure this plugin will be loaded for them when using my Vagrantfile?

Thanks,

grtz
BjornW

Re: Vagrantfile plugin dependencies Dennis Stevense 10/19/14 12:37 PM
Hey Mitchell,

What's the latest on this? Is this still the way to go?

# Poor man's dependency management.
unless Vagrant.has_plugin?('vagrant-omnibus')
  puts 'This machine requires some plugins, please install them:'
  puts '$ vagrant plugin install vagrant-omnibus'
  exit
end

Kind regards,

Dennis