Backend + Frontend + Deployment

Showing 1-3 of 3 messages
Backend + Frontend + Deployment wingy 9/21/12 10:07 PM
Here is an idea for Kinvey I wanted to share.

After reading http://www.kinvey.com/blog/item/227-brightcove-and-kinvey-integrate-technologies I know for sure that the we are getting closer to one service for both ends.

At the moment I am using jQuery Mobile as the frontend to code one app that works on all mobile, tablet and desktop devices. The backend is handled by ApiGee App Services. Deployment by Trigger.io/Nodejitsu.

It's a no brainer that we will have a service giving us both the frontend, backend and deployment within a near future.

I wonder if ApiGee has looked into this and have plans for brining in frontend (jQuery Mobile?) and deployment to give us one package for every device?

If not, can those who are working at ApiGee pass on this idea to the board who can make this decision?

I feel that would benefit all ApiGee users and give us developers less headaches.

Seems like an inevitable outcome anyway so wanted to know if you have any plans for this!
Re: [usergrid] Backend + Frontend + Deployment Tim Anglade 9/27/12 4:26 PM
Hi Johnny,

one of the core goals behind Usergrid is to let people use the technologies they already know to develop their front-end, and the tools they’re already comfortable with to handle their app deployment. This can be any numbers of things, and yes, we do see a lot of people trying to build HTML5 apps with Trigger.io. But we also serve people who are building fully native apps, web apps (and even some pure server-side apps!), so you can understand our desire to make sure we are not tying ourselves to one particular way of building apps, or even one particular type of apps.

That said, we have been making efforts to be better integrated with other technologies. For Native Apps, we work nicely with RestKit, but we also took the time to make sure we play well with the Facebook Native SDK, that our REST API can be consumed from AFNetworking libraries, etc.
For JavaScript, Rod wrote an SDK that assumes as little as possible, and can be easily used to power jQuery Mobile apps (such as our own messagee) or traditional jQuery apps (e.g. our admin portal). I’ve seen users run with it and create Spine.js clients on top of it in a matter of minutes, and we’ve had some success trying to use the Backbone framework with Usergrid too.
Finally, as Scott explained in his Ruby SDK announcement yesterday, we may build particular extensions (such as a Rails compatibility layer) to bring you a totally integrated frontend/backend approach for some popular frameworks.

So you can look for more from us in that space, as we find new ways to make your development experience easier, but we don’t have any plans to tie the Usergrid technology down to a particular set of tools, or a single way of building apps. If I understood your question correctly (and if we operate on this plan successfully!), this approach should unlock the key benefit you’re after (an integrated hassle-free experience), with none of its downsides (compatibility across platforms, serving multiple use-cases, letting you start with the technologies you already know, etc.)

I hope that helps!

Cheers!
Tim

-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Usergrid group. To post to this group, send email to user...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to usergrid+u...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/usergrid?hl=en

Learn more about Apigee Usergrid at http://apigee.com/about/products/usergrid

Fork Usergrid on GitHub: https://github.com/usergrid/stack

Re: [usergrid] Backend + Frontend + Deployment Johnny Luu 9/27/12 8:45 PM
Hi Tim,

Actually when thinking about it your perspective is more optimal since people can use whatever technology in the frontend. And I clearly missed the different frontend tech part like iOS, Android and Web tech.

I love ApiGee's dedication to have a solid vision.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Wingy