Giving away 2 Glass Explorer invites...

Showing 1-6 of 6 messages
Giving away 2 Glass Explorer invites... http://Ultimaker.com Team 2/27/14 9:09 AM
I think it's safe to consider you all explorers and pioneers: You all already live in the future, with a 3D printer in your home.

For those who are interested, I have two invites for the Google Glass explorer program. The Google rules are as follows (which is a bit of a shame):
  • It's not exactly cheap... 1500 USD for the Glass device
  • You need to be a US citizen
  • Pick it up in LA, SF or NYC or have it shipped to a US residence
I've managed to get myself a hold on Glass (couldn't resist to check it out). So far my own experiences are:
  • that it's not very distracting (you forget that you're wearing it just like regular glasses)
  • I'm getting notifications of the latest new YouMagine posts on it... (easy, through IFTTT + YouMagine's RSS feed)
  • developing an app for it seems not ridiculously hard to do (managed to get an modified example app loaded)
  • it needs a 3D printing remote control app! (related to the previous point :) )
  • it's great for showing things you need two hands for (I plan to use it for tutorials)
  • it's quite a conversation starter, nice but the downside is that it sometimes distracts people a bit from 3D printing, which IMHO is still way cooler. This is just a next step, but it's still not fundamentally different than a phone with good voice input.
Anyway, I wanted to give you guys the first opportunity if you're interested...

I hope you'll accept me sharing something that's a bit off topic.

Erik
Re: Giving away 2 Glass Explorer invites... Ian Spring 2/28/14 12:10 AM
big question is Erik !... does it make you look cool ?? ;-)

Ian :-)
Re: Giving away 2 Glass Explorer invites... Daid 2/28/14 2:41 AM
My opinion. No. Sorry Erik.

Cool piece of tech, but it does make you look a like a geek. It's quite visible.
Re: Giving away 2 Glass Explorer invites... Jelte 2/28/14 2:51 AM

Additionally, when I saw people use it, and they focused on the screen,
it made them look like they were having a stroke.

Apart from the cool-new-gadget factor I personally wasn't overly
impressed with it, tbh. For a similar price you can have a 3d printer ;)

On 02/28/2014 11:41 AM, Daid wrote:
> My opinion. No. Sorry Erik.
>
> Cool piece of tech, but it does make you look a like a geek. It's quite
> visible.
>
> On Friday, February 28, 2014 9:10:47 AM UTC+1, Ian Spring wrote:
>
>     big question is Erik !... does it make you look cool ?? ;-)
>
>     Ian :-)
>

>     On Thursday, 27 February 2014 18:09:28 UTC+1, http://Ultimaker.com
>     Team wrote:
>
>         I think it's safe to consider you all explorers and pioneers:
>         You all already live in the future, with a 3D printer in your home.
>
>         For those who are interested, I have two invites for the Google
>         Glass explorer program. The Google rules are as follows (which
>         is a bit of a shame):
>
>           * It's not exactly cheap... 1500 USD for the Glass device
>           * You need to be a US citizen
>           * Pick it up in LA, SF or NYC or have it shipped to a US residence
>
>         I've managed to get myself a hold on Glass (couldn't resist to
>         check it out). So far my own experiences are:
>
>           * that it's not very distracting (you forget that you're
>             wearing it just like regular glasses)
>           * I'm getting notifications of the latest new YouMagine posts
>             on it... (easy, through IFTTT + YouMagine's RSS feed)
>           * developing an app for it seems not ridiculously hard to do
>             (managed to get an modified example app loaded)
>           * it needs a 3D printing remote control app! (related to the
>             previous point :) )
>           * it's great for showing things you need two hands for (I plan
>             to use it for tutorials)
>           * it's quite a conversation starter, nice but the downside is
>             that it sometimes distracts people a bit from 3D printing,
>             which IMHO is still way cooler. This is just a next step,
>             but it's still not fundamentally different than a phone with
>             good voice input.
>
>         Anyway, I wanted to give you guys the first opportunity if
>         you're interested...
>
>         I hope you'll accept me sharing something that's a bit off topic.
>
>         Erik

> ultimaker+...@googlegroups.com
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/ultimaker?hl=en
>
> For information about the Ultimaker, visit: http://Ultimaker.com
>
> ---
> Groups "Ultimaker" group.
> an email to ultimaker+...@googlegroups.com.

Re: Giving away 2 Glass Explorer invites... Nancy Liang 3/1/14 7:15 AM
My friend also 3d scans object in real life with his Google Glass -- http://toddblatt.blogspot.com/2013/06/3d-scanning-through-glass.html

For me, the price tag is a little too high (and I can just play with my friend's GGlass). Though I also have an invite if there's anybody else who wants one. :)

Hehe, if there's enough people in NYC who are interested, maybe we can collectively get one. Not sure how that would work, but my sense is that Google Glass is probably cool for the first few weeks.. and for such a price tag, maybe just "renting" it for a few weeks at a time is better. Plus, if it's part of a collective you'd get a bunch of people hacking away at it. Then you'd probably have to deal with insurance and whatnot, I don't know. Just an idea I have after my morning coffee.

Nancy
Re: Giving away 2 Glass Explorer invites... Luis E. Rodriguez 3/1/14 9:01 AM
I need my glasses to see clearly so I'd hack it for my own dork glasses. Todd is awesome!

I think it's ideal for the perfect viewpoint for how-to videos. I'm curious but need the money. Anybody want to buy an old cupcake, thingomatic and extra gen 4 boards!?

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/ultimaker?hl=en

For information about the Ultimaker, visit: http://Ultimaker.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ultimaker" group.

Luis E. Rodriguez