[bad] delicious new terms 4. cookies will be used for targeted ad!

Showing 1-4 of 4 messages
[bad] delicious new terms 4. cookies will be used for targeted ad! Hugo Roy 6/20/12 10:02 AM
http://www.delicious.com/privacy
Like many websites and online services, we use "cookies" on our Service to collect information. A cookie is a small data file that we transfer to your computer's hard disk. Most Internet browsers automatically accept cookies.  We may use both session cookies and persistent cookies to better understand how you interact with our Service, to save your preferences and personalize the Service for you, to monitor aggregate usage by Delicious Users and web traffic routing on our Service and to improve our Service generally.  Third party advertisers may also place or read cookies on your browser.  You can instruct your browser, by changing its options, to stop accepting cookies or to prompt you before accepting a cookie from the websites you visit.  If you do not accept cookies, however, you may not be able to use all portions of the Site or all functionality of the Service.
Moreover there is no information regarding how long the collected information is kept.
--
Hugo Roy
  French Coordinator, FSFE       chat: hu...@jabber.fsfe.org

'personalize the service for you' is a euphemism for profiling. allowing third party cookies is really evil, but afaik, 49 out of the 50 biggest websites do set cookies, and a lot of them set cookies for third-parties.

Re: [bad] delicious new terms 4. cookies will be used for targeted ad! Hugo Roy 6/20/12 11:02 AM
Le mercredi 20 juin 2012 à 19:52 +0200, Michiel de Jong a écrit :
> yeah, cookies are evil. to be fair, iirc we gave points to twitter for
> explicitly stating that you may disable cookies, and that some of the
> functionality will still work, but maybe not everything.
>
> 'personalize the service for you' is a euphemism for profiling. allowing
> third party cookies is really evil, but afaik, 49 out of the 50 biggest
> websites do set cookies, and a lot of them set cookies for third-parties.

After our discussion I re-considered the twitter point:
→ Twitter does not require cookies to function

point-OR7vkW34mm4 is now [not bad] rather than [good]

Twitter does not mention third-party cookies. Do they use them?
Re: [bad] delicious new terms 4. cookies will be used for targeted ad! Hugo Roy 6/20/12 11:05 AM
Le mercredi 20 juin 2012 à 20:02 +0200, Hugo Roy a écrit :
> Le mercredi 20 juin 2012 à 19:52 +0200, Michiel de Jong a écrit :
> > yeah, cookies are evil. to be fair, iirc we gave points to twitter for
> > explicitly stating that you may disable cookies, and that some of the
> > functionality will still work, but maybe not everything.
> >
> > 'personalize the service for you' is a euphemism for profiling. allowing
> > third party cookies is really evil, but afaik, 49 out of the 50 biggest
> > websites do set cookies, and a lot of them set cookies for third-parties.
>
> After our discussion I re-considered the twitter point:
> → Twitter does not require cookies to function
>
> point-OR7vkW34mm4 is now [not bad] rather than [good]
>
> Twitter does not mention third-party cookies. Do they use them?

Yes.
        Third-Party Service Providers: Twitter uses a variety of
        third-party services to help provide our Services, such as
        hosting our various blogs and wikis, and to help us understand
        the use of our Services, such as Google Analytics. These
        third-party service providers may collect information sent by
        your browser as part of a web page request, such as cookies or
        your IP address.

But that's better than Delicious' 'Third Party advertisers'