[good] Google notice of changes in the ToS

Showing 1-5 of 5 messages
[good] Google notice of changes in the ToS Hugo Roy 7/17/12 7:26 AM
I forgot whether I already mentioned this one here :-)
(that sort of thing should not happen a lot more once Michiel codes a
great interface for us to keep track of all data :-))

        Google posts notice of changes, which will apply no sooner than
        14 days later.
                Google “will post notice of modifications to these terms
                on this page. [They] will post notice of modified
                additional terms in the applicable Service. Changes will
                not apply retroactively and will become effective no
                sooner than fourteen days after they are posted.”

--
Hugo Roy
  French Coordinator, FSFE       chat: hu...@jabber.fsfe.org

Re: [good] Google notice of changes in the ToS Ian McGowan 8/28/12 1:44 PM
Posting changes on the ToS page seems a fairly passive way to notify users. I know for their recently combined policies they sent out an email to all Google account holders informing them of the upcoming changes (back in March). However, I've had an account for years and can't recall being notified of any previous changes (which, to be fair, doesn't mean I wasn't notified).

Still, although they suggest that users read the ToS page regularly, no one (except this group, probably, haha!) does. I would give this a more neutral rating rather than a full thumbs up. The 14 days to allow users to decide (if they're aware) on the changes is good, though.

Thoughts?
Re: [tosdr:718] Re: [good] Google notice of changes in the ToS Hugo Roy 4/29/13 8:57 AM
Le mar. 28/08/12, 13:44, Ian McGowan <irmc...@gmail.com>:
> Posting changes on the ToS page seems a fairly passive way to notify users.
> I know for their recently combined policies they sent out an email to all
> Google account holders informing them of the upcoming changes (back in
> March). However, I've had an account for years and can't recall being
> notified of any previous changes (which, to be fair, doesn't mean I wasn't
> notified).
>
> Still, although they suggest that users read the ToS page regularly, no one
> (except this group, probably, haha!) does. I would give this a more neutral
> rating rather than a full thumbs up. The 14 days to allow users to decide
> (if they're aware) on the changes is good, though.
>
> Thoughts?

Let's have a look at the global scale on "Changing the terms". It
ranges from "we can change any time, without notifying you" to "we
notify you by email and give you 6 weeks to make up your mind".

So Google's current clause on how they change terms seem fairly on
the green side to me. Although I agree it could be improved, but
again right now it's 25/100 wich seems consistant with everything
else. But it's true that we could adjust it a little bit. Let's do
this when we have more points :-)

--
Hugo Roy, Project Lead
Terms of Service; Didn't Read | www.tosdr.org

Our Privacy Policy may change from time to time. We will not reduce your rights under this Privacy Policy without your explicit consent. We will post any privacy policy changes on this page and, if the changes are significant, we will provide a more prominent notice (including, for certain services, email notification of privacy policy changes). We will also keep prior versions of this Privacy Policy in an archive for your review.

I updated the point up to 30 to reflect this.