LTS release

Showing 1-3 of 3 messages
LTS release Lukas Kahwe Smith 11/18/11 5:48 AM
Hi,

Fabien has mentioned several times now that he doesnt expect Symfony2.1 to become the first LTS release of the 2.x tree.
So I would like to first ask Fabien why he feels this way but also to gather the ideas of how we can best decide on which release to make the first LTS release.

regards,
Lukas Kahwe Smith
m...@pooteeweet.org

Re: [symfony-devs] LTS release Fabien Potencier 11/18/11 6:06 AM
On 11/18/11 2:48 PM, Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Fabien has mentioned several times now that he doesnt expect Symfony2.1 to become the first LTS release of the 2.x tree.
> So I would like to first ask Fabien why he feels this way but also to gather the ideas of how we can best decide on which release to make the first LTS release.

4 components were not marked as stable when we released 2.0: Config,
Form, Security, and Serializer.

* As of today, I'm quite confident about the stability and the API for
the Form component.

* We have not really worked on the Config component since 2.0, so it's
probably a good sign that it is also stable enough (we need of course to
merge the documentation feature before.)

* For the Serializer, I'm less confident as this is an area I don't know
that much and it seems like there is some refactoring going on.

* Last, but not the least, the Security component. Again, I think the
API is now quite stable, but as nobody has really worked on the possible
simplification, I'm still not ready to mark it as stable (API wise of
course).

Also, as we have quite a few interesting features in master already, I
feel like releasing a 2.1 early would be better than waiting too much
just to be able to mark this version as a LTS. So, my point of view is
to release more frequently but not necessarily have a LTS version later
than expected.

Fabien

> regards,
> Lukas Kahwe Smith
> m...@pooteeweet.org

Re: [symfony-devs] LTS release Lukas Kahwe Smith 11/18/11 6:10 AM

On Nov 18, 2011, at 15:06 , Fabien Potencier wrote:

> On 11/18/11 2:48 PM, Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Fabien has mentioned several times now that he doesnt expect Symfony2.1 to become the first LTS release of the 2.x tree.
>> So I would like to first ask Fabien why he feels this way but also to gather the ideas of how we can best decide on which release to make the first LTS release.
>
> 4 components were not marked as stable when we released 2.0: Config, Form, Security, and Serializer.
>
> * As of today, I'm quite confident about the stability and the API for the Form component.

Me too.

> * We have not really worked on the Config component since 2.0, so it's probably a good sign that it is also stable enough (we need of course to merge the documentation feature before.)

Yeah, there is kbond's PR which builds on what is there already.

> * For the Serializer, I'm less confident as this is an area I don't know that much and it seems like there is some refactoring going on.

Yes, then again its not too large.

> * Last, but not the least, the Security component. Again, I think the API is now quite stable, but as nobody has really worked on the possible simplification, I'm still not ready to mark it as stable (API wise of course).

Indeed, this is the tricky area.

> Also, as we have quite a few interesting features in master already, I feel like releasing a 2.1 early would be better than waiting too much just to be able to mark this version as a LTS. So, my point of view is to release more frequently but not necessarily have a LTS version later than expected.

Yeah, imho its better to stick to a 6 month release cycle. If we delay for features, then you never know how long you will slip and with a release every 6 months its clear when the next chance is to get something in.

regards,
Lukas Kahwe Smith
m...@pooteeweet.org