Youporn Relaunches Tomorrow On Symfony2!

Showing 1-26 of 26 messages
Youporn Relaunches Tomorrow On Symfony2! Eric Pickup 1/23/12 6:54 PM

The site is obviously not safe for work (well your work not mine).

Tomorrow our site, with over 100 million page views per day, will be relaunching running on Symfony2.  This is a complete rewrite.  Prior to that it was running the Catalyst Engine written in Perl.

Working in Symfony2 has been great and everyone involved loves Symfony2.  I want to thank you guys for all your hard work.  You've created a great framework.

Wish us luck!

~Eric

This e-mail may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender does not waive any related rights and obligations. Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information it contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized. If you received this e-mail in error, please advise me (by return e-mail or otherwise) immediately. Ce courrier électronique est confidentiel et protégé. L'expéditeur ne renonce pas aux droits et obligations qui s'y rapportent. Toute diffusion, utilisation ou copie de ce message ou des renseignements qu'il contient par une personne autre que le (les) destinataire(s) désigné(s) est interdite. Si vous recevez ce courrier électronique par erreur, veuillez m'en aviser immédiatement, par retour de courrier électronique ou par un autre moyen.
Re: Youporn Relaunches Tomorrow On Symfony2! Richtermeister 1/30/12 11:21 AM
That's awesome, congratz!

I'm sure that would make for a great case study as to why you switched
and what challenges you encountered/overcame..
Any interest in sharing details?

Daniel
RE: [symfony-devs] Re: Youporn Relaunches Tomorrow On Symfony2! Eric Pickup 1/30/12 6:55 PM
Hi Daniel,
I plan to put one together.  I need to see with the CTO how many details I can give away.  We have a pretty cutting-edge stack of components so I'm hoping to let the world know.

I can tell you right away that clearing the app/cache when you change templates, configs, routing, etc is a complete nightmare.  Webservers will run at 100% for 5-6 minutes even with Varnish handling most hits.  503s are a pain.

Once I finish putting out fires like "this hidden and undocumented feature that was implemented years before I got involved is now broken", I'll put some detailed information together and run it by the CTO for clearance to publish.

~Eric