▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest

Showing 1-140 of 140 messages
▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest druhutch 8/21/13 8:01 PM
Hey everybody. So, we're running another Word Ladder Contest, but this time I thought we'd try it on a grander scale and have enlisted the other editors to assist in the venture. They have agreed because they are awesome.

For those unfamiliar with the last word ladder contest, basically I gave out a bunch of titles and said that if users made word ladders with those titles and they followed a few basic rules then I would EP them. As of now, at least one quiz per each title given has been EP-ed or published (or both). Sporcle HQ showed overwhelming support for the contest's entries, as you can see here:

Published
:

Not Published (but should be):

Unfortunately too brilliant/lengthy/picture-laden for Daily Dose
(But should be looked at anyway):
Word Ladder: Red Dald Row - Survivor [this one in particular deserves recognition]

In an opinion shared both by myself and the quiz author, not very good:

The New Contest:

This time, the goals of the contest are different. The purpose is to help users earn the Dean's List Badge.

This one here.

Have you resigned yourself to the fact that you'll never get an Editor Pick in a specific category (perhaps because you have no interest in/know nothing about that category)? Here's your way around that. You can make a word ladder specific to the criteria laid out by that category's editor. And maybe that editor will EP your quiz.

All word ladders, before being published, are put in the Just For Fun section. However, if a word ladder is EP-ed in a different section and then moved to JFF, the EP will still count towards the Dean's List in whatever category it was originally EP-ed. (So basically this contest will help with the Dean's List Badge but not necessarily the Crazy Ivan Badge.)

If what I just said made no sense, the bottom line is that this contest will help you get an easier editor pick in what you find to be your "hard to reach" category.

These are only the first five categories of the contest, but there are more to follow. Here's how it (these five at least) will work:

Submit a word ladder with one of the given titles or themes to the following categories. The editors of those categories have agreed to EP at least one of the submissions in each category.

Guidelines:

  • Each editor may EP as many of the quizzes as they like. They may even do so before the "contest" officially ends. It is at their discretion. But they've guaranteed me that they will pick at least one.
  • You are encouraged but not required to submit quizzes to categories where you have not received an EP.
  • You are strongly encouraged to make as many of the rungs fit the theme or title as possible. This point was heavily emphasized by several editors.
  • You should read this thing sproutcm wrote if you are not experienced in making word ladders.
  • You are encouraged but not necessarily required to make Daily Dose length word ladders. Sporcle always needs Word Ladders and this would strongly increase the chance of their being published.
  • At this point I don't see the need to enforce "One ladder per user". If you want to make more than one, go for it. Just don't make more than three. And try to spread them out a bit. And be aware there are more on the way.
  • All "titles" are fair game. Even if someone has already used a title, that title is still open.
  • Entries must be submitted after this posting. Tentative contest ending date is September 12 at 11:59PM EST.

Here are the first five categories. Any word ladder you submit with the title/theme listed under each given category must be submitted to that category. The first three include specific titles submitted by the editors.

ENTERTAINMENT:

Word Ladder: How Logo Can You Go?
Word Ladder: Just Marvel-ous
Word Ladder: It All Ads Up

LANGUAGE:

Word Ladder: Lost in Translation
Word Ladder: Shirley That's Spelt Wrong
Word Ladder: Xcellent

GAMING:

Word Ladder: ABC's Wide World of Warcraft
Word Ladder: Somebody Set Us Up the Bomb
Word Ladder: Don't Get Mad, Get GLadDOS

*These next two include three general "themes" that each editor is looking for in that category. You can make up whatever clever/goofy title you like--just remember that the more rungs related to the theme, the better. For any entries submitted in these two particular categories, you should either post links to them on this thread or list this thread as your source link. (Just to avoid a situation where an editor mistakes a non-entry for an entry.)

MOVIES:

Word Ladder: [Godfather trilogy-themed]
Word Ladder: [Hitchcock-themed]
Word Ladder: [Mel Brooks-themed]

TELEVISION:

Word Ladder: [BBC-themed]
Word Ladder: [Internet TV series-themed]
Word Ladder: [Kids' TV-themed]

There are more categories to come--we're still hammering out the specific criteria--but I wanted to get the ball rolling. You may post your entries here for visibility, but it's not required (though see the note on the Movies/TV quizzes.)

I'm sure I've overlooked something, so if you have any questions just go ahead and ask them here. HUGE thanks to the editors for getting behind this. And best of luck to all who participate.

(dru)

Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest Josh Calianos 8/21/13 8:30 PM
Oooooh this one sounds fun. BTW, that ladder not only sucked, but got EP'd right as I was leaving for camp. So no chance to edit. Oh well.

Given my grand total of 3 EP's (All by the wonderful druhutch) this will Shirley help me get that elusive badge.
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest NYYanks 8/21/13 8:40 PM
Wow dru, you really seem motivated! ;)

I definitely plan on participating.
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest Spacemaniac 8/21/13 9:08 PM
Sounds fun!

Can people with the badge also participate?

Sent from my iPhone
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest Funnyfavorer101 8/21/13 9:46 PM
Well, I suppose it can't hurt to try.
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest druhutch 8/21/13 10:08 PM
Sure thing.

On Thursday, August 22, 2013 12:08:46 AM UTC-4, Spacemaniac wrote:
Sounds fun!

Can people with the badge also participate?

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 22, 2013, at 6:01 AM, druhutch <wanna...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest Spacemaniac 8/21/13 11:15 PM
Then here's my entry:

Any feedback's welcome!

Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest rer2121 8/22/13 3:48 AM
I have a previously created word ladder that perfectly fits the theme for "Don't Get Mad, Get GLaDOS." Is it OK to use it?
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest rer2121 8/22/13 4:50 AM
Either way, I have already created another ladder, this time for the Hitchcock theme: The 32 Rungs
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest geshmonkey 8/22/13 5:42 AM
How long do we have to enter?
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest Spacemaniac 8/22/13 5:54 AM
"…Tentative contest ending date is September 12 at 11:59PM EST..."

On Aug 22, 2013, at 3:42 PM, geshmonkey <mattros...@googlemail.com> wrote:

How long do we have to enter?

Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest Purple_Parrot 8/22/13 6:28 AM
I really wish that entries made before this contest were allowed, since I released a quiz less than a month ago that foresaw this exact idea. Oh well.

PP
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest NYYanks 8/22/13 8:56 AM
Here;s my ladder for Word Ladder: Just Marvel-ous
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest druhutch 8/22/13 9:39 AM

@rer2121:

 I feel bad shooting down the Word Ladder Curator but it's better to only accept newly submitted quizzes. Sorry! (And sorry, Purple_Parrot.) That being said, the editors are obviously free to EP whatever quizzes they like. But as far as "official" entries go, the more new quizzes that come out, the more visibility the contest gets.

More Categories:

RELIGION:

Word Ladder: Jesus Schlepped
Word Ladder: Mythy Gritty
Word Ladder: Torah! Torah! Torah!

SCIENCE:

Word Ladder: Leading Horticulture
Word Ladder: Let's Get Physical
Word Ladder: A Bone to Pick

LITERATURE*:

Word Ladder: [Chick Lit/Romance]
Word Ladder: [Horror/Thriller]
Word Ladder: [Classic Literature]

*Themed category. See note above Movies and Television in the first post.

HOLIDAY:

Here's something a little different: Make a holiday-related word ladder. But make every rung somehow fit the theme. Also, if you can, try to include a camel somewhere. Seriously.

That's it for now! Stay tuned.

Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest Funnyfavorer101 8/22/13 9:58 AM
A camel? Okay, I think that sounds like fun.

Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest HPGirl 8/22/13 10:08 AM
Here is the word ladder I made. Word Ladder: Just Marvel-ous

Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest Hullabaloo 8/22/13 11:36 AM
Hah, Marvel-ous caught my eye, then I saw two people have done it already!
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest Funnyfavorer101 8/22/13 12:07 PM
Okay, here's my attempt: http://www.sporcle.com/games/funnyfavorer101/something-spells-fishy-around-here (Shirley That's Spelt Wrong).
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest Leppyfresh 8/22/13 12:25 PM
Here's my contribution: Word Ladder: Mythy Gritty
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest zaphenath 8/22/13 1:37 PM
Planning to do a Hitchcock themed ladder.
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest Josh Calianos 8/22/13 1:38 PM
Oh, I'll take kiddie TV!

Thoughtfully thumbed from the MyPhone

Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest Hullabaloo 8/22/13 3:34 PM
unk...@googlegroups.com 8/22/13 4:37 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest zaphenath 8/22/13 6:13 PM
My Entry:

On Wednesday, August 21, 2013 9:01:06 PM UTC-6, druhutch wrote:
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest druhutch 8/22/13 10:07 PM

By the by: You are of course free to announce your intention to take on a particular title or theme. But just like last time, you cannot "call dibs" on it. Every category/title will remain open for all throughout the contest.

(I'm not saying people were calling dibs but I just wanted to clear it up for anyone who might think they were.)

Oh, and:

Here's two more:

HISTORY:

Word Ladder: Been There, Done That
Word Ladder: Miss-Quoted
Word Ladder: It Was a Very Good Year

MISCELLANEOUS:

Word Ladder: Climbing the Corporate Ladder
Word Ladder: The Old College Try
Word Ladder: It's All About the Image

Sports, Geography, and Music will be on the way soon. Just For Fun will probably sit this contest out, though I'm not 100% sure yet.
RE: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest Rich Milligan 8/22/13 10:22 PM

Here’s my effort for the Word Ladder: [BBC Theme] category - http://www.sporcle.com/games/BGCollector/beeb

Enjoy

BGC

[...]

Internal Virus Database is out of date.

Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest Spacemaniac 8/22/13 11:07 PM
Here's my second entry: Word Ladder: Torah! Torah! Torah!

From: sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com [mailto:sporc...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of druhutch Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest

Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest EMyre 8/23/13 2:52 AM
After finishing my entry, I noticed that there is some overlap with rer2121's earlier one, but I think I'll try my luck anyway. Here it is: Word Ladder: Don't Get Mad, Get GLaDOS

Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest zaphenath 8/23/13 6:38 AM
Don't know if this was mentioned earlier (and I missed it), but is there a limit to how many entries one can submit?

And just when I thought I was being unproductive enough at work . . .
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest teddy109768 8/23/13 6:43 AM

Zaphenath, the limit is 3

On Aug 23, 2013 9:38 AM, "zaphenath" <jcb...@hotmail.com> wrote:
Don't know if this was mentioned earlier (and I missed it), but is there a limit to how many entries one can submit?

And just when I thought I was being unproductive enough at work . . .

Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest Purple_Parrot 8/23/13 6:56 AM
Today is a day to celebrate. Why, you may ask? Because every day is a holiday! (No, seriously, it's true. For example, today, August 23rd, is National Spongecake Day. Who knew?) And what is a better way to celebrate the occasion than with a camel?! I can't think of anything else I'd prefer. (By the way, I took the liberty of choosing a Bactrian camel. I hope I have not hurt the feelings of any Dromedary lovers.)

Okay, okay. I'll "wrap up" my introduction now. My gift to you Word Ladder: Guess What Day It Is.

PP
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest beforever 8/23/13 9:36 AM
Check out what druhutch did to the Word Ladder subcategory... http://www.sporcle.com/games/curatorpicks/#fun

It's kicking rer2121's CP nominating into overdrive. Hilarious!
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest rer2121 8/23/13 11:26 AM
Yeah...isn't it marvel-ous...
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest zaphenath 8/23/13 4:59 PM
Entry #2:

Hopefully this doesn't exceed the boundaries of good taste.  And yes, I've bent the rules by altering the title a bit.  Please, no lawyers.
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest teddy109768 8/23/13 6:28 PM
Here is my first entry: http://www.sporcle.com/games/teddy109768/word-ladder-weightt-thats-knot-rite (Shirley That's Not Spelled Right)

Just an FYI, under the published list in the first message, my word ladder "Word Ladder: The Bourne Ladderacy" was NOT published. I guess it's not really that important, but I thought I'd tell you.

teddy109768
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest druhutch 8/23/13 9:48 PM

Last Four...

MUSIC:

Word Ladder: And She's Buying a Word Ladder to Heaven
Word Ladder: It Was Twenty Years Ago, Today
Word Ladder: Here We Are Now, Entertain Us

GEOGRAPHY

Word Ladder: Bragging Rights
Word Ladder: All the Way to Timbuktu
Word Ladder: Have a Little Kyrgyz

SPORTS

Here's what we're going to do for sports. There are two options:

1. Word Ladder: _____ vs. ______
Those blanks can be filled with whatever you like. Famous rivals, matches, confrontations, etc. Just try and have as many rungs fit the theme as possible.

2. Word Ladder: [Sportscaster catchphrase]
The title of this ladder should be a famous catchphrase or some kind of terminology commonly used by sportscasters. Here are some examples:

Word Ladder: Let's Get Ready to Rumble
Word Ladder: And Boom Goes the Dynamite
Word Ladder: Goooooooaaaaal!
Word Ladder: He could. Go. All. The way.
Word Ladder: Juuuuuuuust a Bit Outside

And so forth. You can have the ladder fit the title in whatever creative way you see fit.

JUST FOR FUN:

Make a word ladder promoting this contest. Try to use the third column for the titles/themes of the contest ladders. Basically, make it as much like this one as you can:

This is for the benefit of users who do not come to this forum. I'd like to cast the net as widely as possible and make sure those people can participate as well. If you make a great ladder promoting the contest, I will happily abuse my powers and EP it. This particular section of the contest only lasts until 11:59PM Wednesday 8/28.

At some point soon I'll try to put together all of the categories in one posting as well as a list of the entries so far.
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest JoeBeta 8/24/13 4:24 AM
Well, this is very odd. I started working on this word ladder - Word Ladder: Stairway To Heaven on August 19. I remember the exact date because I had launched a Led Zeppelin Songs word ladder on the 18th. needapausebutton had commented on that quiz - "Awaiting the 6-letter ladder version, called... "Stairway to Heaven"?". I went to bed that evening and fell asleep while puzzling over whether I could actually make that ladder. When I woke up, I thought to myself, why don't I just make a word ladder and use the lyrics to Stairway To Heaven if at all possible. Amazingly (or perhaps not so much) it turned out that the last ten lines of the song all had at least one 4-letter word. I then thought, it would be pretty cool if I could keep all those verses in the correct order. After a few days of work I launched the ladder on August 23 at 20:33 GMT (4:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time where I live). I know the exact time because I wrote the first quiz comment (which I almost never do) one minute after I launched the quiz, and the comment is time-stamped.

The point of all of this - My word ladder seems to fall smack into the middle of one of the themes posted for the Music section of this contest - Word Ladder: And She's Buying a Word Ladder to Heaven . I did not create this word ladder for the contest. It was launched hours before the announcement of the Music themes. If I had created it for the contest, I would have had a bunch of musical clues in the hint section of the quiz so that it would be more appropriate for the Music category instead of Just For Fun. I do hope to enter this contest in the future, but it will be in a category other than Music.
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest Michael Mackie 8/24/13 9:47 AM
My entry for Word Ladder: Don't Get Mad, Get GladDOS:

Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest druhutch 8/24/13 12:04 PM
@Joe: as needapausebutton pointed out to me, your word ladder technically was released after the contest began and does match the category titles. So you are more than welcome to move it over to music and consider it a submission if you like. If you want to make others, that's fine too. (As of now users can submit up to three so you can have it both ways too)

On Saturday, August 24, 2013 7:24:11 AM UTC-4, JoeBeta wrote:
[...]

Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest JoeBeta 8/24/13 12:32 PM
@druhutch: Thanks for the offer, but I'll shoot for 3 new word ladders in some mostly unexplored foreign categories for me.
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest Mic747 8/24/13 4:27 PM
Here's my first contest entry ever: Mythy Gritty
Feedback is more than welcome.
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest JoeBeta 8/24/13 8:32 PM
You should eliminate the middle element of this sequence - MINUS, MINES, MINAS, but that will even out your ladder to 24 clues. The only way I know of to prevent what is commonly called a "bung" in Sporcleland is to say the letter change positions out loud while pointing to them. Your ladder currently goes - 5, 3, 4, 1, 2, 4, 4, 3, ... If you ever say the same number twice in a row, it's a problem. Eliminating MINES fixes that problem. I would also suggest that you increase the font size up one size larger. Otherwise I liked the ladder and was able to finish it in time although I almost got stuck in those MINES :)

On Saturday, August 24, 2013 7:27:43 PM UTC-4, Mic747 wrote:
Here's my first contest entry ever: Mythy Gritty
Feedback is more than welcome.
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest naqwerty3 8/24/13 9:47 PM
Here's my entry: Word Ladder: It All Ads Up

I really like all the titles chosen for this contest!
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest Esvadude 8/25/13 11:55 AM
This is my entry for the Word Ladder: [Internet TV-Series Themed] category.

unk...@googlegroups.com 8/25/13 5:47 PM <This message has been deleted.>
unk...@googlegroups.com 8/25/13 5:48 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest Kazaxat 8/25/13 5:49 PM
I was a bit unsure how to approach 'Word Ladder: How Logo Can You Go?'. A combination of Logos and Ladders seemed an odd one, as images aren't generally associated with ladders. That of course got me thinking of how they would be combined at all, which leads me to this: Word Ladder: How Logo Can You Go? (Slideshow)

A Slideshow Word Ladder! I don't like the overall result as much as I did the original concept in my head, and it took longer to finish that I anticipated with the Photoshop required, but hopefully the novelty counts for something (though I assume I'll now find out this has been done before, and better).

Also, if appending '(Slideshow)' to the name is a problem, let me know and I'll take it out. I just thought I should be as informative as possible.
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest Purple_Parrot 8/25/13 8:48 PM
I hope that Word Ladder: This Week in Baseball steps up to the plate and knocks it out of the park as my second entry.

PP
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest Leppyfresh 8/26/13 11:56 AM
unk...@googlegroups.com 8/26/13 2:34 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest Hejman 8/26/13 2:50 PM
Dru- You forgot the miscellaneous ones!
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest needapausebutton 8/26/13 2:57 PM
And also, History
unk...@googlegroups.com 8/26/13 3:09 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest druhutch 8/26/13 3:15 PM

Whoops. I'll delete the last post.

Categories and entries together as of now:

HISTORY:

Word Ladder: Been There, Done That

Word Ladder: Miss-Quoted

Word Ladder: It Was a Very Good Year

MISCELLANEOUS:

Word Ladder: Climbing the Corporate Ladder

Word Ladder: The Old College Try

Word Ladder: It's All About the Image

RELIGION:

Word Ladder: Jesus Schlepped

Word Ladder: Mythy Gritty

Word Ladder: Torah! Torah! Torah!

SCIENCE:

Word Ladder: Leading Horticulture

Word Ladder: Let's Get Physical

Word Ladder: A Bone to Pick

LITERATURE:

Word Ladder: [Chick Lit/Romance]

Word Ladder: [Horror/Thriller]

Word Ladder: [Classic Literature]

HOLIDAY:

Word Ladder: [every rung and a camel]

[...]

JUST FOR FUN

[Promotional Word Ladder]

I believe these are the entries so far:

Word Ladder: Somebody Set Us Up the Bomb by Spacemaniac

Word Ladder: The 32 Rungs by rer2121

Word Ladder: Just Marvel-ous 1 by NYYanks

Word Ladder: Just Marvel-ous 2 by HPGirl

Word Ladder: Shirley That's Spelt Wrong by funnyfavorer101

Word Ladder: Mythy Gritty by leppyfresh

Word Ladder: Just Marvel-ous 3 by Hullabaloo

Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest teddy109768 8/26/13 4:45 PM
Here is my second entry:

Word Ladder: The Master of Suspense by zaphenath

Word Ladder: Auntie's Ladder - BBC Theme by BGCollector

Word Ladder: Torah! Torah! Torah! by Spacemaniac

Word Ladder: Don't Get Mad, Get GLaDOS by EMyre

Word Ladder: Guess What Day It Is by Purple_Parrot

Word Ladder: Let's Get (a) Physical by zaphenath

Word Ladder: Shirley That's Spelt Wrong by teddy109768

Word Ladder: Don't Get Mad, Get GLaDOS by michaelm

Word Ladder: Mythy Gritty by mic747

Word Ladder: It All Ads Up by naqwerty3

Word Ladder: 5-South FloorEver by esvadude

Word Ladder: How Logo Can You Go? (Slideshow) by Kazaxat

Word Ladder: This Week in Baseball by Purple_Parrot

Word Ladder: The Godfather by leppyfresh

Please let me know if I screwed anything up.

Plenty of time for more. And plenty of options to choose from. Thanks for contributing. The entries we've seen thus far are just Marvel-ous.

teddy109768
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest iglew 8/26/13 5:36 PM
@teddy:  I wonder if your ladder would work better upside-down. The first two clues are solvable but only indirectly by working backward. I worry that two seemingly impossible clues right at the start may be off-putting to players.

I realize there's a similar issue at the other end of the ladder, but it seems like it wouldn't be as bad that way.

Was there some other reason I'm not aware of for running it in this direction?

Great ladder, though.  I gave it five globes, and I'm a tough grader.
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest teddy109768 8/26/13 5:41 PM

It was only that way by chance, I will change it when I get to my computer, thanks!

Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest zaphenath 8/26/13 10:41 PM
My third and final entry:

Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest geshmonkey 8/28/13 11:45 AM
This is my first (and maybe only) entry, in Religion:

Loving all of these titles, and please read the comment before complaining on how the structure fails :)
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest iglew 8/28/13 5:29 PM
I read the note.  I appreciate the difficulty of the challenge you set for yourself, but that doesn't change the fact that you have an unusually high incidence of obscure words, plus some repeats.  Sometimes you have to make a few stretches to get a ladder to work, but there is only so far you can go before the ladder suffers for it.  At some point you just have to admit that an idea is unworkable.

Also, you go from BEET to BETH, which isn't a link.
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest geshmonkey 8/29/13 1:50 AM
I get what you're saying iglew, but I realised I'd got so far, and now I've fixed all of the spelling, grammar etc. I figured I might as well have a shot at it (and I've also fixed the second rung link.)
So I'm just going to hope that the small overlap of religion-word ladder-users (of which 10 currently exist) will enjoy it.
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest HPGirl 8/29/13 1:39 PM
Here is my second entry (this time for sports) : Word Ladder: Chicago vs. New York.
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest druhutch 8/29/13 10:27 PM
There are plenty of open opportunities left in the contest! (Okay, all of the opportunities will remain open, but there are plenty of titles/themes and even whole categories that haven't seen submissions yet.) Deadline will still be September 12th.

Entertainment seems to be the most popular category as of now. This may be because people lack editor picks there or because slipkid is handing them out like peanut M&M's. In either case, thanks slipkid! Speaking of, thanks also to Word Ladder Curator rer2121 who has likewise been CP-ing like crazy in support of the contest.

I thought it would be more helpful to list the entries in their respective categories:

HISTORY:
Word Ladder: Been There, Done That
Word Ladder: Miss-Quoted
Word Ladder: It Was a Very Good Year

Submissions:
CATEGORY IS WIDE OPEN

MISCELLANEOUS:
Word Ladder: Climbing the Corporate Ladder
Word Ladder: The Old College Try
Word Ladder: It's All About the Image

Submissions:
CATEGORY IS WIDE OPEN

RELIGION:
Word Ladder: Jesus Schlepped
Word Ladder: Mythy Gritty
Word Ladder: Torah! Torah! Torah!

Submissions:

Word Ladder: Torah! Torah! Torah! by Spacemaniac
Word Ladder: Mythy Gritty by leppyfresh
Word Ladder: Mythy Gritty by mic747
Word Ladder: Jesus Schlepped by geshmonkey

SCIENCE:
Word Ladder: Leading Horticulture
Word Ladder: Let's Get Physical
Word Ladder: A Bone to Pick

Submissions:

Word Ladder: Let's Get (a) Physical by zaphenath

LITERATURE:

Word Ladder: [Chick Lit/Romance]
Word Ladder: [Horror/Thriller]
Word Ladder: [Classic Literature]

Submissions:
Word Ladder: Classic Literature by teddy109768

[...]

Right, so no one made a promotional ladder, and I don't blame them. It was worth a shot trying to get someone to do my work for me. Instead, I'm going to hold a non-word ladder, impossible to win 30-day Just For Fun side contest.

NON-WORD LADDER IMPOSSIBLE-TO-WIN 30-DAYJUST FOR FUN SIDE CONTEST

Submit a quiz in the JFF section that gets more plays than Stanford0008's Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (Clickable) over the course of one day without the aid of an Editor or Curator pick. Release it at midnight EST any day over the next 30 days. If you are able to beat that quiz I will not only EP your quiz, I'll personally make a quiz about you or whatever subject you name and crown you the King or Queen of Sporcle. The quiz can be about whatever you like. It can even be a word ladder, despite the name of the contest. Hell, if you make a word ladder that gets more plays than that quiz, I'll also mail you a trophy fashioned from things I find around my apartment.
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest Spacemaniac 8/30/13 1:43 AM
Okay, I have an idea for a quiz, it's called… uh… damn it dru! That's impossible! ;)

On Aug 30, 2013, at 8:27 AM, druhutch <wanna...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Submit a quiz in the JFF section that gets more plays than Stanford0008's Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (Clickable) over the course of one day without the aid of an Editor or Curator pick. Release it at midnight EST any day over the next 30 days. If you are able to beat that quiz I will not only EP your quiz, I'll personally make a quiz about you or whatever subject you name and crown you the King or Queen of Sporcle. The quiz can be about whatever you like. It can even be a word ladder, despite the name of the contest. Hell, if you make a word ladder that gets more plays than that quiz, I'll also mail you a trophy fashioned from things I find around my apartment.
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest geshmonkey 8/30/13 1:48 AM
And you know, just in case you get anywhere close, he can just EP it and disqualify you... oh well.
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest geshmonkey 8/30/13 1:50 AM
Actually, brainwave! Epic idea. Does it count if you keep going backwards across the world (like with the dateline and so forth) to constantly give yourself more hours?
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest slipkid 8/30/13 4:28 AM
Hmmmm...peanut M&M's.
-slipkid

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 4:50 AM, geshmonkey <mattros...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Actually, brainwave! Epic idea. Does it count if you keep going backwards across the world (like with the dateline and so forth) to constantly give yourself more hours?

Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest stanford0008 8/30/13 6:13 AM
Yeah, sorry for that quiz Dru, I was young and naive at the time and didn't realize what I was unleashing on the JFF category until it was too late. On the bright side, instead of having 5 idiot quizzes clogging up the JFF board you have one idiotic quiz, so that's something right...right?

On a side note, peanut M&M's should totally be given out with every EP.

Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest Josh Calianos 8/30/13 6:44 AM
This could be done. Remember when someone posted on the League of Legends Reddit and it got 50,000 plays in a day?

We just have to do that...x10.
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest NYYanks 8/30/13 6:56 AM
Does it count if I just play it over and over and over and over again until I get it?
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest geshmonkey 8/30/13 7:21 AM
Entry #2 - http://www.sporcle.com/games/geshmonkey/it-also-comes-in-handy-spelling-axe-and-extra-fox

Hope you can guess from my Seuss-quoted title (loved that audio set, alphabet, lorax, the fish, the grinch), but if not, it's in Language:
Word Ladder: Xcellent
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest beforever 8/30/13 7:53 AM
Gave you some feedback there, gesh. I think it might help make it look a bit better.
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest geshmonkey 8/30/13 8:38 AM
And so it did.

But shouldn't Peanut M&Ms go out for Miscellaneous, under food?
Actually, you can just hoard them instead (the M&Ms for Entertainment - not for yourself, nor the metaphorical EPeanut M&Ms)

Alas alack, I digress, thanks again Beforever.
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest iglew 8/30/13 10:33 AM
@NYYanks:  Sure, that counts.  But to meet the goal in one day, you'd have to play it about five times per second.  For 24 hours.

On Friday, August 30, 2013 6:56:49 AM UTC-7, NYYanks wrote:
Does it count if I just play it over and over and over and over again until I get it?
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest MovieGuru 8/30/13 10:38 AM
Challenge accepted.
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest iglew 8/30/13 10:40 AM
If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

I was working on a history-themed ladder anyway, so I guess I may as well enter it in the contest.

unk...@googlegroups.com 8/30/13 12:25 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest druhutch 8/30/13 12:27 PM
Stanford0008: I don't blame you. I only blame the unholy beast you unleashed that feeds upon the world.

And you know, just in case you get anywhere close, he can just EP it and disqualify you... oh well.

Hah! That's would be fiendishly awesome. But I promise I will not do that.

I'd also like to point out that the Millionaire quiz has received no editor or curator picks and it's Reddit/Stumble/etc. stats at the top are minimal. So if that damn thing can sit at half a million plays any of your quizzes can too.
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest rer2121 8/31/13 5:54 AM
Here's my second entry: Word Ladder: It Was Twenty Years Ago Today
My super-mega-ultra-humongo-uber minefield is coming soon...
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest NYYanks 8/31/13 9:20 AM
My second entry: Word Ladder: Mel Brooks
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest Josh Calianos 8/31/13 8:25 PM
Regarding *the quiz* that we have to beat, it currently has a joy factor of 200. I've never seen anything higher than 185 before- is this abnormal or just me being stupid?

for those who haven't been following, that quiz is Who Wants to be a Millionaire (clickable)
Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest teddy109768 8/31/13 8:35 PM
amazingjosh, skuban's
  • Country Trivia Logic Puzzle
  •  had a 300+ joy factor once upon a time!

    On Sat, Aug 31, 2013 at 11:25 PM, Josh Calianos <joshm...@gmail.com> wrote:
    Regarding *the quiz* that we have to beat, it currently has a joy factor of 200. I've never seen anything higher than 185 before- is this abnormal or just me being stupid?

    for those who haven't been following, that quiz is Who Wants to be a Millionaire (clickable)

    teddy109768
    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest Josh Calianos 8/31/13 8:40 PM
    Ok.

    Not surprising, I remember when it got published. 20000-odd plays, dozens of faves, etc.  All before publish.
    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest Purple_Parrot 8/31/13 9:27 PM
    Please pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is "Joy Factor," and how is it equated?

    PP
    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest druhutch 8/31/13 11:02 PM
    @Purple_Parrot:

    On Sunday, September 1, 2013 12:27:58 AM UTC-4, Purple_Parrot wrote:
    Please pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is "Joy Factor," and how is it equated?

    PP
    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest Josh Calianos 9/1/13 5:54 AM
    It was an idea to have a leader board for the best quizzes WHERE RATINGS DIDN'T MATTER.

    You can see that as Stanford0008's quiz had a really high joy factor with a 2.65 rating.

    I think it involves if you finish the game (or get mined) rather than give up. So it may unfairly bias onto minefields, because who gives up on a minefield?

    Again, I don't know this for sure. But, there is a blog post on this too.

    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest skuban 9/1/13 6:37 AM
    Actually it does kind of the opposite. Joy Factor is supposed to take all of the following into consideration:
    - Ratings
    - Plays
    - Favorites
    Maybe something else.

    However, it takes ratings very seriously, probably more seriously than any of the other criteria. I've had a quiz drop off the Joy Factor board after just one 1-bomb, and I've definitely seen highly rated and highly favorited quizzes there with fewer than 1000 or even 500 plays.

    Country Trivia Logic Puzzle is my pride and joy. :) It was actually only around 5 points away from a 400 Joy Factor overall before it was published.
    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest JoeBeta 9/1/13 7:58 AM
    Unless somebody has the secret recipe for Joy Factor and wants to divulge it, I think there's value in puzzling over it in this forum. I think that the "something else" in the list of elements in the Joy Factor equation is probably Time. If a quiz starts to receive less and less plays over time, it's joy factor goes down. I noticed that when I curator pick a recently launched quiz, it will have a much higher Joy Factor than a quiz that has been around for a few more days or a week. If I curator pick a quiz that's been around for a much longer time, it will start out with an extre
    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest JoeBeta 9/1/13 8:00 AM

    On Sunday, September 1, 2013 10:58:17 AM UTC-4, JoeBeta wrote:
    Unless somebody has the secret recipe for Joy Factor and wants to divulge it, I think there's value in puzzling over it in this forum. I think that the "something else" in the list of elements in the Joy Factor equation is probably Time. If a quiz starts to receive less and less plays over time, it's joy factor goes down. I noticed that when I curator pick a recently launched quiz, it will have a much higher Joy Factor than a quiz that has been around for a few more days or a week. If I curator pick a quiz that's been around for a much longer time, it will start out with an extremely low Joy Factor. (Somehow this got posted before I finished my thoughts :(  )

    On Sunday, September 1, 2013 9:37:15 AM UTC-4, skuban wrote:
    Actually it does kind of the opposite. Joy Factor is supposed to take all of the following into consideration:
    - Ratings
    - Plays
    - Favorites
    Maybe something else.

    However, it takes ratings very seriously, probably more seriously than any of the other criteria. I've had a quiz drop off the Joy Factor board after just one 1-bomb, and I've definitely seen highly rated and highly favorited quizzes there with fewer than 1000 or even 500 plays.

    Country Trivia Logic Puzzle is my pride and joy. :) It was actually only around 5 points away from a 400 Joy Factor overall before it was published.
    unk...@googlegroups.com 9/1/13 9:12 AM <This message has been deleted.>
    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest Purple_Parrot 9/1/13 9:39 AM
    All titles are still "open" for this contest. Even if somebody has used a title already, you can make a different ladder with the same title (hence the 3 "Just Marvel-ous" entries).

    On Sunday, September 1, 2013 12:12:10 PM UTC-4, Fusty wrote:

    What ones are left for this competition. I have only ever had one EP and want another.

    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest Esvadude 9/1/13 12:56 PM
    Entry #2, for the Science category:

    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest Mic747 9/1/13 3:07 PM
    Here's my second entry: All the Way to Timbuktu

    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest Purple_Parrot 9/3/13 8:36 PM
    For my third entry, here is a little night music (or perhaps a little day music, depending on your time zone): Word Ladder: Here We Are Now, Entertain Us.
    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest druhutch 9/3/13 10:33 PM
    There's more than a week left for this contest and I think this is what we're going to do when the deadline is up:
    Any categories where all three titles or themes have been used at least once will be closed out.

    (At this point that would be Religion, Movies, and Entertainment, but there may be several more filled up before the 12th. Oh, and Holiday. But that one's weird so maybe we'll leave it open.)

    You may still submit to all categories before September 12th but after that the "full" categories will be closed. The rest will remain open for one more week until September 19th. During this "extended" deadline, users who have made three quizzes should feel free to make a fourth.
    Before then, I will try to make a promotional ladder on the site for users who don't go to this forum. I just really don't feel like making a word ladder, and the irony of that is not lost on me. Luckily, sproutcm cheekily posted rungs for a "Marvel-ous Word Ladder 4" on the Editor's forum and I think I might just plagiarize those.

    Here's an updated list!

    HISTORY:
    Word Ladder: Been There, Done That
    Word Ladder: Miss-Quoted
    Word Ladder: It Was a Very Good Year

    Word Ladder: Been President, Done That by iglew

    RELIGION:
    Word Ladder: Jesus Schlepped
    Word Ladder: Mythy Gritty
    Word Ladder: Torah! Torah! Torah!

    Word Ladder: Jesus Schlepped by geshmonkey

    MISCELLANEOUS:
    Word Ladder: Climbing the Corporate Ladder
    Word Ladder: The Old College Try
    Word Ladder: It's All About the Image

    No submissions in this category yet. You people may not be aware of this but [*whispering*]
    Hejman happens to be consigliere to the Sporcle Mafia and it's a great insult to a man like that not to submit any quizzes to his category. It would be best for all of us if someone made a ladder as soon as possible before something bad happens, if you know what I mean.

    SCIENCE:
    Word Ladder: Leading Horticulture
    Word Ladder: Let's Get Physical
    Word Ladder: A Bone to Pick

    LITERATURE:
    Word Ladder: [Chick Lit/Romance]
    Word Ladder: [Horror/Thriller]
    Word Ladder: [Classic Literature]

    Word Ladder: Classic Literature by teddy109768

    HOLIDAY:
    Word Ladder: [every rung and a camel]

    MOVIES:
    Word Ladder: [Godfather trilogy-themed]
    Word Ladder: [Hitchcock-themed]
    Word Ladder: [Mel Brooks-themed]

    Word Ladder: The Godfather by leppyfresh
    Word Ladder: Mel Brooks by NYYanks

    TELEVISION:
    Word Ladder: [BBC-themed]
    Word Ladder: [Internet TV series-themed]
    Word Ladder: [Kids' TV-themed]

    Word Ladder: 5-South FloorEver by esvadude

    ENTERTAINMENT:
    Word Ladder: How Logo Can You Go?
    Word Ladder: Just Marvel-ous
    Word Ladder: It All Ads Up

    LANGUAGE:
    Word Ladder: Lost in Translation
    Word Ladder: Shirley That's Spelt Wrong
    Word Ladder: Xcellent

    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest NYYanks 9/4/13 8:59 AM
    My third entry: Word Ladder: Kids TV

    Gosh, it has been a while since I watched these....
    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest Esvadude 9/4/13 11:39 AM
    My final entry, for Music: Word Ladder: Here We Are Now, Entertain Us

    Um, I swear that the fact Purple_Parrot's ladder and mine have the same number of rungs is completely coincidental.
    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest amazingjosh 9/4/13 2:15 PM
    Ma foist entrie-
    Word Ladder: A Little Bit of Kyrgyzstan was really tough to make, and as such, only has 4 themed rungs.  I doubt I could pass as a Kyrgyzstani.

    Maybe more to come.
    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest amazingjosh 9/4/13 2:40 PM
    Oops- wrong title.  Will be fixed.

    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest amazingjosh 9/4/13 3:49 PM
    My second entry- Word Ladder: A Bone to Pick

    I even fit more Kyrgyzstan in!
    unk...@googlegroups.com 9/4/13 4:41 PM <This message has been deleted.>
    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest Hullabaloo 9/4/13 4:42 PM
    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest Quizmaster91 9/4/13 5:32 PM
    OK! I caved under the pressure of the Sporcla Nostra! Are you happy now?
    Here's my corporate word ladder: Word Ladder: Climbing the Corporate Ladder
    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest beforever 9/4/13 5:33 PM
    The caliber of all of your word ladders, guys, has been outstanding to experience. I've played each and every one of them, and I'm so impressed. I look forward to seeing a lot of these hit the front page eventually. :)
    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest beforever 9/4/13 9:20 PM
    Here's my bone to pick, although I don't really need the Science EP:

    Word Ladder: A Bone to Pick

    I just felt like taking part in all the fun. :)
    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest Scott 9/5/13 4:03 AM
    Here is my classic literature entry: Word Ladder: Dante's Inferno

    On Thursday, August 22, 2013 1:01:06 PM UTC+10, druhutch wrote:
    Hey everybody. So, we're running another Word Ladder Contest, but this time I thought we'd try it on a grander scale and have enlisted the other editors to assist in the venture. They have agreed because they are awesome.

    For those unfamiliar with the last word ladder contest, basically I gave out a bunch of titles and said that if users made word ladders with those titles and they followed a few basic rules then I would EP them. As of now, at least one quiz per each title given has been EP-ed or published (or both). Sporcle HQ showed overwhelming support for the contest's entries, as you can see here:

    Published
    :
    Word Ladder: Bursting With Flavor <a href="http://www.sporcle.com/user/JoeBeta" target="_blank" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-ri
    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest Scotty (usmcfunkymunky) 9/5/13 7:25 AM
    Here's my quiz:  Have a Little Kyrgyz http://www.sporcle.com/games/Usmcfunkymunky/we-meet-again-kyrgyzstan . Enjoy!

    On Wednesday, August 21, 2013 11:01:06 PM UTC-4, druhutch wrote:
    Hey everybody. So, we're running another Word Ladder Contest, but this time I thought we'd try it on a grander scale and have enlisted the other editors to assist in the venture. They have agreed because they are awesome.

    For those unfamiliar with the last word ladder contest, basically I gave out a bunch of titles and said that if users made word ladders with those titles and they followed a few basic rules then I would EP them. As of now, at least one quiz per each title given has been EP-ed or published (or both). Sporcle HQ showed overwhelming support for the contest's entries, as you can see here:

    Published
    :
    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest JoeBeta 9/5/13 12:27 PM
    My first entry (finally) - Word Ladder: Been There, Done That in the History Category.

    On Wednesday, August 21, 2013 11:01:06 PM UTC-4, druhutch wrote:
    Hey everybody. So, we're running another Word Ladder Contest, but this time I thought we'd try it on a grander scale and have enlisted the other editors to assist in the venture. They have agreed because they are awesome.

    For those unfamiliar with the last word ladder contest, basically I gave out a bunch of titles and said that if users made word ladders with those titles and they followed a few basic rules then I would EP them. As of now, at least one quiz per each title given has been EP-ed or published (or both). Sporcle HQ showed overwhelming support for the contest's entries, as you can see here:

    Published
    :
    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest Scott 9/6/13 4:35 AM
    Here is another entry for children's TV!

    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest JoeBeta 9/6/13 11:19 AM

    My second entry in the contest in the Miscellaneous Category -  Word Ladder: The Old College Try .
    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest Tom007 9/10/13 7:51 PM

    Hey everyone, first time poster to Sporcle U and first created word ladder. Hope it lives up to the great expectations set out thus far. Any constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.

    In music, Here We Are Now, Entertain Us:
    http://www.sporcle.com/games/Tom007/with_the_lights_out_its_less_dangerous

    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest amazingjosh 9/10/13 8:03 PM
    Left a comment on the ladder; hope you get to see it.

    Really, really good first ladder. If you read the thread all the way from the beginning, you can see how *my* first ladder went... (Yeah, it's that one.)

    It takes a lot to earn the Hutcheson Seal Of Official Disapproval.

    Maybe they should have a badge for that... but then I'd be the only one with it. He's too nice.
    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest druhutch 9/10/13 8:09 PM
    There have been 46 entries for this contest so far (I think). How about that! Very impressive. This Thursday, September 12 at 11:59PM we will close out the categories of Movies, TV, Entertainment, and Religion. So if you still want your shot at an EP in any of those categories, get your entries in now!
    The rest will remain open for another week until the 19th. For that week, if you've already made three, you can make a fourth.

    HISTORY:

    Word Ladder: Been There, Done That
    Word Ladder: Miss-Quoted
    Word Ladder: It Was a Very Good Year

    Word Ladder: Been There, Done That by JoeBeta

    RELIGION:
    Word Ladder: Jesus Schlepped
    Word Ladder: Mythy Gritty
    Word Ladder: Torah! Torah! Torah!

    Word Ladder: Jesus Schlepped by geshmonkey

    MISCELLANEOUS:
    Word Ladder: Climbing the Corporate Ladder
    Word Ladder: The Old College Try
    Word Ladder: It's All About the Image

    SCIENCE:
    Word Ladder: Leading Horticulture
    Word Ladder: Let's Get Physical
    Word Ladder: A Bone to Pick

    Word Ladder: Let's Get (a) Physical by zaphenath
    Word Ladder: Leading Horticulture by esvadude
    Word Ladder: A Bone to Pick by beforever
    Word Ladder: A Bone to Pick by amazingjosh

    LITERATURE:
    Word Ladder: [Chick Lit/Romance]
    Word Ladder: [Horror/Thriller]
    Word Ladder: [Classic Literature]

    HOLIDAY:
    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest needapausebutton 9/10/13 8:17 PM
    Just a little bit of a side "kudos to you, dru" for not only setting up links to the already-made-quizzes, but to the contributors' profile pages as well.

    That's some might fine taking-care-of-the-folks-who've-been-participating you've got goin' on here!

    - pause
    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest amazingjosh 9/10/13 8:20 PM
    And there's one more Holiday ladder too... with a camel... and a made up holiday... and an EP... and-
    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest goseaward 9/11/13 7:55 AM
    An entry from me: Shirley That's Spelt Wrong
    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest metashades 9/11/13 3:11 PM
    My first-ever word ladders! (And my first ever post here!). Citkeane already offered some great feedback (and I really have tried to make some of the Watership Down clues less difficult). If anyone else has feedback it would be appreciated, thanks!:

    Word Ladder: Watership Down (for Classic Literature)
    Word Ladder: Two-Faced (for Literature: Horror/Thriller)

    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest amazingjosh 9/11/13 5:15 PM
    Entry #3, in the Trashy Romance category.

    I posted a disclaimer in the game note, and felt a need to post here too.

    "Novel curator and all, I'm ashamed to say that I know nothing about Danielle Steel"   So feel free to comment, if you have any clue about this lady.

    Ben's quiz about her is both a) factually correct, and b) holding a 1.8 rating.  So maybe she's not a (fill in your favorite author here)
    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest zaphenath 9/12/13 12:40 PM
    OK, so I misread the instructions and was making a fourth ladder for next week which would go into the TV category (Kids' TV-themed) -- but then I read more closely and saw that this is one of the categories that will close today.  Can I substitute this ladder for my science entry?

    On Tuesday, September 10, 2013 9:09:02 PM UTC-6, druhutch wrote:
    There have been 46 entries for this contest so far (I think). How about that! Very impressive. This Thursday, September 12 at 11:59PM we will close out the categories of Movies, TV, Entertainment, and Religion. So if you still want your shot at an EP in any of those categories, get your entries in now!
    The rest will remain open for another week until the 19th. For that week, if you've already made three, you can make a fourth.
    unk...@googlegroups.com 9/12/13 2:45 PM <This message has been deleted.>
    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest metashades 9/12/13 3:12 PM
    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest druhutch 9/12/13 7:48 PM
    @zapenath:

    Eh, we can count them both. Let's just say users who have made three can make a fourth and fifth in the coming week if they like.
    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest druhutch 9/12/13 7:51 PM

    Also, apologies to untitled--I'll include your entries in the updated list here in a bit.
    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest druhutch 9/12/13 9:05 PM
    Entertainment, Movies, Television, and Religion are now CLOSED. The rest of the categories are STILL OPEN UNTIL SEPTEMBER 19th. Users who have made three ladders may now make a fourth and a fifth if they so choose.

    If anyone knows of any other ladders I've missed in the list below, please let me know.

    You may have noticed that some editors have already handed out EPs. In some cases, multiple EPs. Remember that the editors have only agreed to make one pick. If they choose to pick more, then terrific, but do not expect every editor to do that or you are destined for disappointment.

    But wow, so there are something like 56 entries now, and only about a third are called "Word Ladder: Here We Are Now, Entertain Us". Seriously though, there have been some incredible Word Ladders in this contest. Amazing work all around. Last time I was able to go through and play all of the entries. This time I plan to do that as well, it will just take much much longer.

    HISTORY: STILL OPEN

    Word Ladder: Been There, Done That
    Word Ladder: Miss-Quoted
    Word Ladder: It Was a Very Good Year

    Word Ladder: Been There, Done That by JoeBeta
    <w
    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest untitled 9/13/13 1:08 PM
    Oh, no worries, I could have made it easier for you to include my entries on the list by, y'know, actually posting my entries here in the first place. I'm a big fan of these contests and trying to figure out how to make quizzes that fit the parameters, but sometimes I'm a little weak on the clerical housekeeping side of things.

    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest NYYanks 9/13/13 4:09 PM
    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest zaphenath 9/14/13 1:26 AM
    Aarrgghh, started working on this before I saw yours posted, NYYanks:

    Inevitable that there'll be some overlap; but hopefully they'll be different enough.

    OK, that was number 5 for me.  I'm all done.

    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest amazingjosh 9/15/13 9:10 AM
    Entry #4- Word Ladder: A Very Long Tennis Match in the ______ vs. _______ category.  I can't list the names because they are two of the answers.... but I'm sure tennis fans will know what I'm talking about.

    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest Scotty (usmcfunkymunky) 9/15/13 1:09 PM
    Ok, here's my second entry: http://www.sporcle.com/games/Usmcfunkymunky/miss-quoted

    On Wednesday, August 21, 2013 11:01:06 PM UTC-4, druhutch wrote:
    Hey everybody. So, we're running another Word Ladder Contest, but this time I thought we'd try it on a grander scale and have enlisted the other editors to assist in the venture. They have agreed because they are awesome.

    For those unfamiliar with the last word ladder contest, basically I gave out a bunch of titles and said that if users made word ladders with those titles and they followed a few basic rules then I would EP them. As of now, at least one quiz per each title given has been EP-ed or published (or both). Sporcle HQ showed overwhelming support for the contest's entries, as you can see here:

    Published
    :
    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest Purple_Parrot 9/15/13 8:33 PM
    My fourth entry is a tribute to a whole plethora of events from the year 2000 (aside from Y2K). Contributed to the History category, here is Word Ladder: 2000 was a Very Good Year.
    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest metashades 9/15/13 10:47 PM
    My 4th entry:

    Word Ladder: He Could Go All The Way! (for sportscaster catchphrase)
    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest Mic747 9/16/13 9:37 AM
    Since my literature ladder wasn't very good and already done before, I retracted it and deleted my former post.
    I have remade it and recontributed it and it should be a lot better now (I hope).
    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest geshmonkey 9/16/13 12:27 PM
    My 3rd Entry (http://www.sporcle.com/games/geshmonkey/black-white-and-read-all-over) in History.

    Word Ladder: 2004 - It was a Very Good Year
    (I was working on this at the Same Time as PurpleParrot, but I figure they're different enough)
    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest druhutch 9/19/13 8:52 PM
    Well, it was a long contest, and in a way you're all winners. But in a more accurate way, the people listed below are the winners.

    I'm only kidding. The people listed below are the winners so far. Some editors may decide to make more picks than they already have--but that is entirely as they see fit. Those editors that have picked at least one (and 12/14 already have) have fulfilled their obligations to the contest as far as I'm concerned. But regardless of how many EPs there are still to come, congratulations to all who participated in this. We've successfully riddled the site with Word Ladders (many of which have the same title). YAY!

    HISTORY
    WINNER: iglew, metashades and JoeBeta

    Word Ladder: Been President, Done That by iglew
    Word Ladder: Been There, Done That by JoeBeta
    Word Ladder: Miss-Stated Quotation by untitled
    Word Ladder: Miss-Quoted by metashades
    Word Ladder: Miss-Quoted by Usmcfunkymunky
    Word Ladder: 2000 was a Very Good Year by Purple_Parrot
    Word Ladder: 2004 - It Was a Very Good Year by geshmonkey

    RELIGION
    WINNER: Would appear to be Spacemaniac

    Word Ladder: Torah! Torah! Torah! by Spacemaniac
    Word Ladder: Mythy Gritty by leppyfresh
    Word Ladder: Mythy Gritty by mic747
    Word Ladder: Jesus Schlepped by geshmonkey

    MISCELLANEOUS
    WINNER: JoeBeta and Quizmaster91

    (congrats to Joe on the first publish of the contest as well)

    Word Ladder: Climbing the Corporate Ladder by Quizmaster91
    Word Ladder: The Old College Try by JoeBeta

    SCIENCE
    WINNER: beforever

    Word Ladder: Let's Get (a) Physical by zaphenath
    Word Ladder: Leading Horticulture by esvadude
    Word Ladder: A Bone to Pick by beforever
    Word Ladder: A Bone to Pick by amazingjosh

    LITERATURE
    WINNER: teddy109768 and Scott

    Word Ladder: Classic Literature by teddy109768
    Word Ladder: Horror-Thriller by Hullabaloo
    Word Ladder: Dante's Inferno by Scott
    Word Ladder: Watership Down by metashades
    Word Ladder: Two-Faced by metashades
    Word Ladder: Danielle Steel by amazingjosh
    Word Ladder: This ain't no Shakespearean comedy by mic747

    HOLIDAY
    WINNER: Purple_Parrot and untitled

    Word Ladder: Guess What Day It Is by Purple_Parrot
    Word Ladder: Every* Rung and a Camel* by untitled

    MOVIES
    WINNER: TBD

    Word Ladder: Auntie's Ladder - BBC Theme by BGCollector
    Word Ladder: 5-South FloorEver by esvadude
    Word Ladder: Kids TV by NYYanks
    Word Ladder: Telletubbies by Scott
    Word Ladder: Mister Rogers' Neighborhood by zaphenath

    ENTERTAINMENT
    WINNER: Everyone

    Word Ladder: Just Marvel-ous 1 by NYYanks
    Word Ladder: Just Marvel-ous 2 by HPGirl
    Word Ladder: Just Marvel-ous 3 by Hullabaloo
    Word Ladder: It All Ads Up by naqwerty3
    Word Ladder: It All Ads Up by zaphenath
    Word Ladder: How Logo Can You Go? (Slideshow) by Kazaxat

    LANGUAGE
    WINNER: teddy109768

    Word Ladder: Shirley That's Spelt Wrong by funnyfavorer101
    Word Ladder: Shirley That's Spelt Wrong by teddy109768
    Word Ladder: Xcellent by geshmonkey
    Word Ladder: Shirley That’s Spelt Wrong by goseaward

    GAMING
    WINNER: EMyre and Spacemaniac

    Word Ladder: Somebody Set Us Up the Bomb by Spacemaniac
    Word Ladder: Don't Get Mad, Get GLaDOS by EMyre
    Word Ladder: Don't Get Mad, Get GLaDOS by michaelm

    MUSIC
    WINNER: rer2121

    Word Ladder: It Was Twenty Years Ago, Today by rer2121
    Word Ladder: Here We Are Now, Entertain Us by Purple_Parrot
    Word Ladder: Here We Are Now, Entertain Us by Esvadude
    Word Ladder: Here We Are Now, Entertain Us by Tom007
    Word Ladder: Here We Are Now, Entertain Us by untitled
    Word Ladder: And She's Buying A Word Ladder to Heaven by NYYanks
    Word Ladder: And She's Buying a Word Ladder to Heaven by zaphenath

    GEOGRAPHY
    WINNER: TBD

    Word Ladder: All the Way to Timbuktu by mic747
    Word Ladder: Have a Little Kyrgyz by amazingjosh
    Word Ladder: Have a Little Kyrgyz by Usmcfunkymunky

    SPORTS
    WINNER: amazingjosh

    Word Ladder: This Week in Baseball by Purple_Parrot
    Word Ladder: Chicago vs. New York by HPGirl
    Word Ladder: Baseball vs. Football by Blackhawks65
    Word Ladder: A Very Long Tennis Match by amazingjosh
    Word Ladder: He Could Go All The Way! by metashades

    Oh, and I'll go ahead and extend the JFF Impossible-to-win Contest for another...let's say a year. Make a quiz that outperforms Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (Clickable) for one day without the aid of a Curator's Pick or Editor's Pick. If you win, I'll EP it and make a quiz dedicated to you about whatever topic you like and also dub you King of Sporcle.

    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest JoeBeta 9/19/13 9:42 PM
    A BIG congratulations to druhutch for running such a successful contest and for inspiring many of us (like me) to make the effort to create some quizzes out of our quiz comfort zones.
    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest metashades 9/19/13 10:16 PM
    Thanks Dru, great contest!
    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest geshmonkey 9/19/13 11:21 PM
    Yeah, cheers Dru, this has been run really well, so congrats to all (and a double congrats to Dru)
    Re: ▸ Massive Multi-Category Word Ladder Contest druhutch 9/27/13 1:58 PM
    Quick congrats to zaphenath and amazingjosh, the winners of the Movies and Geography categories, respectively. With those, all editors have now fulfilled their EP-ing vows. But congrats are also due to additional post-contest EPs in other categories: untitled (History), Hullabaloo (Literature), mic747 (Religion), and esvadude (Television). Great job everybody! Hope to see them all in the Daily Dose.

    On Thursday, September 19, 2013 11:52:56 PM UTC-4, druhutch wrote:
    More topics »