How dangerous are nonstandard titles and suffixes?

Showing 1-2 of 2 messages
How dangerous are nonstandard titles and suffixes? Steve G. 1/3/12 8:37 AM
Contacts Cleaner is brilliant and a lifesaver.

Are nonstandard titles (i.e. Rev. or Congressman) and nonstandard
suffixes (i.e. OD , C.F.P. and Ph.D.) dangerous, or just overlooked by
the developer?
Are compound suffixes like Paul Chung, RPh, MA, MS, PharmD, RAC so
complicated that they should be religated to the Notes field?
Does "Ignore This Conflict" mean forever, or this session?
I wish the Undo command worked.
I wish there was a Provide Feedback menu item under the Application
menu à la iTunes.

"Receiving feedback is a sign users care about your app and it makes a
difference in their lives. Getting no feedback is a sign that users
have given up because (a) it was hopelessly incompetent, (b) didn't
serve a need, or © served its purpose." -me
Re: How dangerous are nonstandard titles and suffixes? Larry Hendricks 1/3/12 10:58 AM
On Jan 3, 8:37 am, "Steve G." <sgv2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Contacts Cleaner is brilliant and a lifesaver.

Thanks!

> Are nonstandard titles (i.e. Rev. or Congressman) and nonstandard
> suffixes (i.e. OD , C.F.P. and Ph.D.) dangerous, or just overlooked by
> the developer?

It depends on what applications and services your data interoperate
with. Some services (such as Google) store contact names as a single
text field and not as separate title/first name/middle name/last name/
suffix fields like Address Book does. Google and Spanning Sync both
use some logic to parse the contact name "blob" into the correct
fields when syncing to Address Book. If an incoming title isn't
recognized, it could end up being the contact's first name, and
likewise for suffix/last name.

> Are compound suffixes like Paul Chung, RPh, MA, MS, PharmD, RAC so
> complicated that they should be religated to the Notes field?

See above. It's really a matter of whether you sync with anything that
doesn't understand the concept of "suffix" (or title).

> Does "Ignore This Conflict" mean forever, or this session?

This session.

> I wish the Undo command worked.

That would be tricky since Contacts Cleaner doesn't own the data
store, but it's a reasonable request. I'll add it to the to-do list.

> I wish there was a Provide Feedback menu item under the Application
> menu à la iTunes.

It's in Help > Contact Us. Maybe I'll move it.

> "Receiving feedback is a sign users care about your app and it makes a
> difference in their lives. Getting no feedback is a sign that users
> have given up because (a) it was hopelessly incompetent, (b) didn't
> serve a need, or © served its purpose." -me

Thanks
--
Larry Hendricks
la...@spanningsync.com