JOFA conference to address sexual abuse in the Orthodox community.

Showing 1-1 of 1 messages
JOFA conference to address sexual abuse in the Orthodox community. Protect Children 2/13/04 1:12 PM
For full program see:
http://www.jofa.org/about_currentconf.php
JOFA - Jewish Orthodox Feminist Alliance
Fifth International Conference on Feminism and Orthodoxy
"Zachar U'Neqevah Bara Otam: Woman and Men in Partnership
Sunday, Febuary 15 - 16th, 2004
Grand Hyatt Hotel, New York, NY

3 Workshops to be held on Rabbinic/sexual abuse in the Orthodox
community.

Shattering the Silence
Sunday, Febuary 15, 2004
10:45 am - 12:00 pm Workshop:
Vicki Polin, Michael Salamon and NaĆ¢ama Yehuda
The Orthodox community often downplays the occurrence of child sexual
abuse and sometimes even discourages reporting acts of abuse to
secular authorities. This "silence is golden" attitude leads to the
misperception that abuse simply does not occur in the Orthodox
community. Several key indicators and techniques to help the community
recognize and diminish cases of abuse will be reviewed.

Monday, Feburary 16, 2004
9:15 am - 10:30 am
Opening Plenary: When Authority Breaks Down: The Abuse of Power
Rabbi Yosef Blau and Rabbi Mark Dratch
Moderator: Judy Heicklen
What are the parameters of respect? What behavior is and is not
acceptable? How do we teach those parameters to children and to the
community in general? How should we train Rabbis and other authority
figures in the proper boundaries?

How do we train them to deal with a breach by their colleagues? How
should we think about these issues in the Context of Orthodoxy, where
authority figures are almost always male? What special mechanisms do
we have to deal with abuse?

Monday, Feburary 16, 2004
2:00 pm - 3:10 pm
The Politics of Gender in Confronting an Abusive Rabbi
Judy Klitsner
A personal account of a surreal journey: suffering abuse by a rabbi,
struggling to find an appropriate reaction within the possibilities
deemed acceptable by the system, confronting an entirely male
religious establishment that works to promote and protect the abuser.
How do male/female dynamics and politics affect the responses of
victims of abusive rabbis? What role do these dynamics play in the
religious establishment? How do the religious educational messages
sent to young women and to rabbis perpetuate and strengthen these