I've seen dozens around the net, but wanted to post my 2 cents...

Showing 21-43 of 43 messages
I've seen dozens around the net, but wanted to post my 2 cents... babygenius55 8/28/09 4:49 AM
Release the source, or compile it for debian distros...any actually.
GS is by far the most fluid 3D drafting program out there. I've used
LightRipple(not sure what's permitted), Gaia version 4-current, and
3DSTax along with a plethora of other smaller niche programs that let
you do 3D stuff. When it come to pumping out architecture, Or planning
out in-room (mine) storage units, and much more - I love this program.
I know The Home Depot would appreciate it.

I hope this isn't too esoteric.
Re: I've seen dozens around the net, but wanted to post my 2 cents... aerilius 8/28/09 6:06 AM
I want to confirm, you're not alone, and I hope Google knows that
there are much more linux users than we two.

Sketchup is the ONLY reason why i am bound to the good, but
inefficient slow Windows.
Currently, your request "should" work this way:
http://wiki.winehq.org/GoogleSketchup
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=14562
But I only see a black screen (I think the graphics card developer do
not collaborate with linux)

The Sketchup team is currently very busy. I don't know about what
(because SU is a closed source app, they keep everything secret), but
I'm sure. In contrast to Firefox, Sketchup is not built cross-platform
from scratch. The difficulties with the Mac version show that. And a
linux version would need a completely new development.

We'll have to wait. I HOPE not long (!!!). But I'm very sure that the
world of Sketchup will have some kind of revolution. Google plans
"BIG" things, especially when we combine the O3D file format with
Chrome OS and 3d-web...
Don't forget, Chrome OS is linux with a not yet developed "Google
overlay" and the already known web apps.
Re: I've seen dozens around the net, but wanted to post my 2 cents... olaf 8/28/09 8:01 AM
would be interesting to hear a statement by Google...
Re: I've seen dozens around the net, but wanted to post my 2 cents... bob 8/28/09 10:44 AM
> The Sketchup team is currently very busy. I don't know about what
> (because SU is a closed source app, they keep everything secret), but
> I'm sure. In contrast to Firefox, Sketchup is not built cross-platform
> from scratch. The difficulties with the Mac version show that. And a
> linux version would need a completely new development.

"The difficulties with the Mac version show that. And a linux version
would need a completely new development."

Can you elaborate on this? I recieved invitations to joint the
Sketchup-club more or less from day one, on my Mac.

They seem to be taking Mac quite seriously. It tends to lean on
graphics card capabilities, though.
Re: I've seen dozens around the net, but wanted to post my 2 cents... aerilius 8/28/09 11:05 AM
Sketchup is not like other cross-platform opensource applications. The
firefox I have does not much differ from the firefox on a Mac (only
the xul-engine). I only recognized that there are Mac-specific
problems and Windows-specific ones. I know they take Mac seriously and
I hope it will not be too much additional work load to make the linux
version.
And I would not understand why Google should deny a Google app to its
future Chrome users? I'm very confident...
Re: I've seen dozens around the net, but wanted to post my 2 cents... gerd 8/28/09 2:26 PM
Would be really nice to hear something more from Google than "no linux
version"?
At least I'm interested what the prospects are?

And what if I would change to Chrome OS, will I be disadvantaged? What
are the future plans?
Re: I've seen dozens around the net, but wanted to post my 2 cents... r 8/28/09 4:16 PM
Believe it or not but i am totally telling the truth here Google. The
only thing stopping me uninstalling my Vista OS and then taking a
hammer to installation disc so i will never be infected with any of M
$'s vile offerings again is Google SketchUp, Yes you heard me, Google
SketchUp.

Every proprietary application on this stinking OS has an open source
cousin available that is more usable, more tweakable, more secure,
less buggy, and gives me the full power to change the software as i
see fit to suit MY needs and or remove what i don't like or want! But
there is no replacement for SketchUp, nothing even comes close.

Google i beg of you, save us from this hell of perpetual updates and
this prison of locked-in proprietary file types. The constant plagues
of chronic virus infestation that pollute our systems, and the
elephant sized bloat-wares clogging our hard drives like so much
artery clogging saturated fats. Google release Chrome OS now before it
is too late, and release a SketchUp that can be installed on any and
all nix boxes easily.

The time has come for Google to rule on high as "sultan of software"
and leave Microsoft crouched whimpering in the corner like a poor
neglected orphan on Christmas morning.
Re: I've seen dozens around the net, but wanted to post my 2 cents... olaf 8/28/09 6:38 PM
silence (???)
Re: I've seen dozens around the net, but wanted to post my 2 cents... gerd 8/29/09 12:39 AM
They don't want to answer.
Re: I've seen dozens around the net, but wanted to post my 2 cents... 3dBloke 8/29/09 9:11 AM
Just to add my vote, here.  I tried to move to Ubuntu earlier this
year and all was well until I tried SketchUp.

SU is a must-have app for me.  So it was back to WinXP.
Re: I've seen dozens around the net, but wanted to post my 2 cents... gerd 8/29/09 12:06 PM
We need to wait until monday. I hope Google will give us some info,
because they need to regain ground. This hitherto secret development
can cause much disappointment.
I better do not mention that there are on the internet quite advanced
plans for something called "openUp".
Re: I've seen dozens around the net, but wanted to post my 2 cents... olaf 8/29/09 4:31 PM
Why? What's this?
There are also some Blender-overlay ideas.
Re: I've seen dozens around the net, but wanted to post my 2 cents... gerd 8/29/09 4:41 PM
Pshhhh! Here's not the best place for this...
Re: I've seen dozens around the net, but wanted to post my 2 cents... r 8/29/09 5:00 PM
On Aug 29, 6:41 pm, gerd <ger...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Pshhhh! Here's not the best place for this...

psst, the tool class cometh...

Re: I've seen dozens around the net, but wanted to post my 2 cents... aerilius 8/30/09 2:29 AM
Dear Sketchup team,
it should not look like if we are only demanding something that might
be lots of work. I much appreciate the much work you spent in SU8
(although we have only a rough idea what). You indicated that there
will be great features that make us still trust in your efforts.

We should not lose confidence, but as you see, it preys on our mind,
that Sketchup is not THE 3d-app that runs on our systems. We want to
support you as much as we can (although it is not easy to contribute
to a closed source app...). I would like to dig this former idea up:

"SWT (Standard Widget Toolkit) runs on top of widget toolkits for
Windows, Linux, OS X, and others. Porting SketchUp to SWT would permit
a single code base for all of these systems. Check out www.eclipse.org/swt."

For me, it seems to be a forward-looking approach, it would make it
easier to maintain the Mac version and would keep all options open for
future systems (like on portable devices). Not to speak about the
ChromeOS / O3D plans.

I would muchly like to get an impression of what the prospects are and
where our hopes should reside.
Re: I've seen dozens around the net, but wanted to post my 2 cents... jaredhardy 8/30/09 2:37 AM
On Aug 28, 6:06 am, aerilius <aeril...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> In contrast to Firefox, Sketchup is not built cross-platform
> from scratch. The difficulties with the Mac version show that.

I would be very surprised if most of SketchUp wasn't built on OpenGL,
which is a cross-platform library. I'm not familiar with the Mac OSX
conversion issues, but maybe they're converting major portions of the
frame UI into native Coacoa. I wish they would use a cross-platform
GUI library for more things, like wxWidgets. Google Talk and other
Desktop related apps have always lagged on non-M$ platforms because of
this odd preference for using separate native GUI libraries.

Jared
Re: I've seen dozens around the net, but wanted to post my 2 cents... LewisWadsworth 8/30/09 8:41 AM
Gerhard asked me to stop by this discussion group.

I spoke to the SketchUp team about this topic at the Googleplex in
Mountain View last summer: I'm sorry to inform you that you will not
find SketchUp as a native application in any Linux distro in the
foreseeable future.  There are only a handful of people working on
SketchUp in the Google Boulder office, and I was told that there is
simply not the manpower to develop and maintain any more versions of
it.  Development on Windows and Macintosh versions is continuing
(don't even think to ask about that), of course, but any Linux version
is a non-starter. You can infer from this that SketchUp, as beloved as
it is by a certain relatively-small user group which includes myself,
is not a priority for Google in a larger sense.  It is simply not a
core product for the company.

Your best bet is better performance with SU on Linux using WINE.
However, I do not consider this a particularly hopeful avenue...with
the kind of complex architectural models I develop using SketchUp, the
screen-redraw lag makes SketchUp unusable on Linux systems for me, and
I have wasted too much time that frankly could be better used
elsewhere in attempting to make the software work acceptably in Linux.

With regard to Chrome OS and 3D modeling, you might get a better sense
of Google's "3D" interests from their efforts with O3D:

http://code.google.com/apis/o3d/docs/techoverview.html

If Chrome OS is to be essentially a minimal gateway to "the Cloud", it
would be logical to see future developments in 3D modeling from Google
arising from things like O3D or alternative, OS-independent
implementations of 3D in Javascript that run in a web browser and
store data on a remote server as Google Docs do now.  Google is not
the only company working on Cloud-based applications of course:  for
instance, Aviary has acknowledged that it is working on a 3D modeler
called "Hummingbird" that will sync with its own Flash-based (and
fairly impressive) image editing tools.

http://aviary.com/blog/posts/advertising_artwork_for_hummingbird_revealed
Re: I've seen dozens around the net, but wanted to post my 2 cents... Colin Holgate 8/30/09 9:20 AM
Maybe SketchUp, even Free, could have an O3D exporter added to it.
That could increase its apparent value for future Google 3D
applications.

Re: I've seen dozens around the net, but wanted to post my 2 cents... r 8/30/09 10:05 AM
On Aug 30, 10:41 am, LewisWadsworth <lewiswadswo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Gerhard asked me to stop by this discussion group.
>
> I spoke to the SketchUp team about this topic at the Googleplex in
> Mountain View last summer: I'm sorry to inform you that you will not
> find SketchUp as a native application in any Linux distro in the
> foreseeable future.  There are only a handful of people working on
> SketchUp in the Google Boulder office, and I was told that there is
> simply not the manpower to develop and maintain any more versions of
> it.

No not under the current proprietary conditions, but if Google where
to open source SketchUp you would not even need to pay a light bill at
the boulder office! And to be honest i really doubt Google makes any
profit from this software (at least noticeable profit) after paying
employees, lights, overhead... seems more like a break even kinda deal
to me. Move the employees somewhere else, Google is a BIG company!

Google's main motivation (i surmise?) in acquiring this software was
to create models for GE. Open sourcing this software will cause an
avalanche of innovations to come flying in and bring much more
attention, programmers, modelers, etc, to SketchUp and GE. The free
manpower is out there waiting like hungry lions to pounce on some
fresh meat. The answer is obvious...

Open Source Google SketchUp NOW!
Re: I've seen dozens around the net, but wanted to post my 2 cents... gerd 8/30/09 10:47 AM
What many think but haven't pronounced!

How many skilled programmers and Sketchup users suffer from the
limited development of this application and no possibility to
contribute. I don't want to disregard the great efforts by the
Sketchup team, which is working frantically on it. But our beloved
application could have an         unimagined potential.

As intriguing the open source thought is, it saddens my heart when we
would not have anymore the paternal support by the Sketchup Guides. On
the other side, some free open source apps are maintained by companies
which can afford their staff. That is possible, and Canonical, Novell
and Mozilla demonstrate it.

If Google wants to initiate a revolution on the web, 3d-web based on
O3D, they need a modeler for it. And which modeler is easier to use
than coding simplest html, which modeler is easy to learn by millions
of people on the world? Currently, there's no alternative 3d modeler
with a similar sophisticated inference engine that could fulfill the
job for O3D.

The interesting question is, what is the future of Sketchup? Will it
be used for O3D? Or will Google port it onto javascript to use it for
the 3d-web?
Re: I've seen dozens around the net, but wanted to post my 2 cents... olaf 8/30/09 11:55 PM
There are currently 506 signatures at
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/linuxsketchup/index.html
In addition, there must be considered that this OS is running on
school computers in entire states/educational systems, moreover it is
supposed to be introduced in much more states, like India, parts of
the US, Mexico, Italy, Germany. That could be a critical danger to the
Sketchup on schools project.

It would be interesting to know what the future brings.
Re: I've seen dozens around the net, but wanted to post my 2 cents... olaf 9/1/09 2:14 AM
silence???
Re: I've seen dozens around the net, but wanted to post my 2 cents... Hank 9/1/09 4:11 PM
Silence broken:

Given Google's announced "Chrome OS" to be based on Linux, I suspect
that SU will eventually be ported to Linux, in addition to Windows and
Mac.

Rather than having 3 codebases I'd like to again suggest that building
SU against SWT (standard widget toolkit) so a single codebase would
run on these 3 systems and others.
See http://eclipse.org/swt/