video compression

Showing 1-30 of 30 messages
video compression Huck 9/22/09 5:24 PM
I posted this question once before with 0 response.  I'll try one more
time.

When I export an animation the .avi file is very big.  anyone know how
to compress it?

thanks,

Huck
Re: video compression Gaieus 9/23/09 3:43 AM
Hi Huck,
You can use Windows Movie Maker (should go with your Windows install
or get it for free on the MS websites) to create smaller still
bearable quality files.

Gai...
Re: None video compression Colin Holgate 9/23/09 7:04 AM

On Sep 22, 2009, at 8:24 PM, Huck wrote:

> I posted this question once before with 0 response.  I'll try one more
> time.

We did talk a bit about compression in the "flickering" topic.

> When I export an animation the .avi file is very big.  anyone know how
> to compress it?

Although there are compression programs that can take what you have
and make the file a lot smaller, the video quality is already ruined
by the time you have the AVI.

In a fit of optimism, I just installed 7.1 under Windows 7, and sadly,
the video is still Cinepak regardless of which codec you choose. Could
one of you Windows users log a bug about that, or is it already a
known issue?

Re: None video compression Huck 9/23/09 12:41 PM
Are you using a Mac Colin?
A friend of mine says the Mac video stuff is way better.  I was trying
to compress videos (not sketchup ones, just off my camera) and he
could get great compression very easily with a Mac program that,
unfortunately, is not available for Windows.
Re: video compression Huck 9/23/09 12:46 PM
Gai,
Any suggestions about precisely what to select in Windows Movie
Maker?  I tried that before and it was a bit confusing although I had
limited success.  As noted to Colin, my friend tells me much better
compression is possible, he does it with his Mac, but I don't know
what programs might work on the PC.

Huck
> > Huck- Hide quoted text -

Re: None Re: video compression Colin Holgate 9/23/09 1:18 PM
If you get a good compression program it could be on Mac or Windows,
and some programs are cross platform too. I think that QuickTime
Player in Windows can do the open image sequence, and save to a movie,
and you could take that into the application Gai mentioned. When
exporting from QuickTime Player to a movie, you could use the
Animation codec, at its best settings. That should be readable by any
WIndows app that can deal with video.

Re: None Re: video compression Colin Holgate 9/23/09 1:35 PM
By the way, if you want to send me a skp that is set up to do an
animation export, of a scene that is as complicated as you are likely
to get, I can do the image export test and show you how it works out
via QuickTIme Player. I can make the image sequence under Windows, to
make it a fair test, but I would make the movie version on Mac (I
don't have QuickTime Pro for Windows).

Re: None video compression Gaieus 9/24/09 5:10 AM
Hi Huck,

Virtual dub is another great (and free) app working fine on Windows:
http://www.virtualdub.org/

As for compressions and codecs, xVid is a very good one however not
everybody has this codec so you may need to "suggest" it to a client
if you want to use it and send the file:
http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/

But at least it works fine on both Mac and Windows.

Gai...
Re: None Re: video compression Colin Holgate 9/24/09 5:33 AM
For codec, I would go for H.264. With that your client can either play
it back in their preferred media player, or if they don't have any
kind of media player installed, it can be played back using Flash in a
browser window. It's one of the codecs used in Blu-Ray for showing HD
content, as well as being the one used by YouTube and others when in
the HD mode.

Re: None Re: video compression Huck 9/24/09 9:07 AM
Here is the model I have been working with. RiverDiag-6Story.skp
(I posted it in “Files”.  Did I send this link correctly?  I haven’t
figured out how to direct you to the file)

There are lots of improvements I want to make with the model but at
the moment I was trying to get the animation worked out.  I want to
figure out the animation in part because some of the improvements to
the model such as a more extensive and detailed landscape slow it down
too much to use live.

I want to use all the scenes except “plan” in the animation but I
removed all except one so as to make short tests.
Re: None Re: video compression Colin Holgate 9/24/09 9:15 AM

On Sep 24, 2009, at 12:07 PM, Huck wrote:

> Here is the model I have been working with. RiverDiag-6Story.skp

I still have that from when you first posted it. If it hasn't changed
I try a test with that same file.

I'll report back in a while.

Re: None Re: video compression Gaieus 9/25/09 5:27 AM
That's also a good tip, thanks, Colin!

Gai...
Re: None Re: video compression Colin Holgate 9/26/09 7:56 AM
I'm going to start a new topic in a moment to explain the steps I took
in my last test. I'll title it "how to export nice animation". I'm
just doing that to help out the people who subscribed to these threads
and can't get unsubscribed!
Re: None Re: video compression Gaieus 9/26/09 8:33 AM
Could you make this step by step tutorial already in the new forum?
This place will shut down soon and although will be accessible for
browsing the archives, it would be better to access it in an active
forum.

Also, if you elaborate it nicely, I'm surte catamountain would be glad
to include it to the sites.

Gai...
Re: None Re: video compression Colin Holgate 9/26/09 8:40 AM

On Sep 26, 2009, at 11:33 AM, Scc wrote:

> Also, if you elaborate it nicely, I'm surte catamountain would be glad
> to include it to the sites.

Thanks for the tips. I just finished typing it (it's long), would you
be willing to suggest ways to make it more generally useful?

Re: None Re: video compression Gaieus 9/27/09 5:41 AM
I have just gone through the post and indeed, it's a nice description
of the process (including some seemingly basic and "obvious" info like
bitrate and fps I am sure many users are not aware of though).

BTW the mov file gave me an error and my QT couldn't play it.

Gai...

p.s. as for making it more useful - wait for comments and questions
maybe to see if something is not clear for others.
Re: None Re: video compression Colin Holgate 9/27/09 5:59 AM

On Sep 27, 2009, at 8:41 AM, Scc wrote:

> BTW the mov file gave me an error and my QT couldn't play it.

If you managed to download just the MOV, it would give errors, as it's
just a reference file. It needs to be next to the MP4 file, and should
be playing ok in a browser window. Maybe that's a browser thing to
think of that some plugins are set up to download the file and play
it, which will fail. At the end of the other thread I was leaning more
towards just using self contained MOVs anyway.

> p.s. as for making it more useful - wait for comments and questions
> maybe to see if something is not clear for others.

Too late! Yesterday I made this article (which I'm sure I can edit
over time):

http://sites.google.com/site/sagesuwiki/tutorials/tips#TOC-Exporting-Animation-for-Web-Playbac

Right now the animated GIF in the teaser has some dithering issues.
I've sent in a replacement that looks nicer.

Re: None Re: video compression Gaieus 9/27/09 6:14 AM
OK, I see what you mean about the mov file. Probably it could play in
my QT Plugin in FF but I disabled the plugin because no matter what I
set in FF, it always wanted to play everything (I mean EVERYTHING from
avi to mpg and all) in the browser window which is not my preference.

On Sep 27, 2:59 pm, Colin Holgate <co...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On Sep 27, 2009, at 8:41 AM, Scc wrote:
>

> > BTW the mov file gave me an error and my QT couldn't play it.
>
> If you managed to download just the MOV, it would give errors, as it's
> just a reference file. It needs to be next to the MP4 file, and should
> be playing ok in a browser window. Maybe that's a browser thing to
> think of that some plugins are set up to download the file and play
> it, which will fail. At the end of the other thread I was leaning more
> towards just using self contained MOVs anyway.
>

> > p.s. as for making it more useful - wait for comments and questions
> > maybe to see if something is not clear for others.
>
> Too late! Yesterday I made this article (which I'm sure I can edit
> over time):
>
> http://sites.google.com/site/sagesuwiki/tutorials/tips#TOC-Exporting-...
Re: None Re: video compression Huck 9/27/09 8:39 AM
Colin,
The tutorial is great!

Problem: I'm using Windows Media Player 11 (the latest version as far
as I know).  It won't play the MP4 file.

Huck
> > I've sent in a replacement that looks nicer.- Hide quoted text -
Re: None Re: video compression Colin Holgate 9/27/09 9:03 AM

On Sep 27, 2009, at 11:39 AM, Huck wrote:

> The tutorial is great!

Thanks!

> Problem: I'm using Windows Media Player 11 (the latest version as far
> as I know).  It won't play the MP4 file.

I'm testing with Windows 7, which may make a difference as it uses
Windows Media Player 12, but try this in your player:

Open Windows Media Player 11.

Press Control-M to show the Menu Bar.

Select File/Open URL.

Paste in: http://xfiles.funnygarbage.com/~colinholgate/video/bigriver.mp4
  and click OK.

Does it play now?

Re: None Re: video compression Colin Holgate 9/27/09 9:22 AM
I found this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945416

that suggests that WMP 11 won't handle H.264 MPEG-4 by default. The
suggested work arounds are to install a third party MP4 DirectShow
decoder, or to just rename the file as .avi instead of .mp4.

I've tried the rename approach, see if this file works any better than
the .mp4 one:

http://xfiles.funnygarbage.com/~colinholgate/video/bigriver.avi

Re: None Re: video compression Huck 9/27/09 8:46 PM
None of the above approaches worked.
Re: None Re: video compression Colin Holgate 9/27/09 9:01 PM

On Sep 27, 2009, at 11:46 PM, Huck wrote:

> None of the above approaches worked.

Which of the MP4 DirectShow decoders did you try? Here's an article
that goes into great detail about getting things going:

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/how_to_play_mp4_files.cfm

As the article mentions, VLC ( http://www.videolan.org ) is another
option for playing MP4 files. Also, could you play the files with Real
Player? How about the Flash version?

The worse case is that you have to set up animations for Flash, but at
least then about 95% of people will be able to view it without an
extra download. You could also export the QuickTIme movie of the image
sequence, using the Animation codec (at its Best settings). Even Video
for Windows version 1 can read those files, so you could use a PC
application to recompress it to WMV9. That would reach most PC users
ok, and Mac users have an add-on they can download in order to view
the files.

Re: None Re: video compression Huck 9/27/09 9:40 PM
Hi Colin,

I posted this comment on your topic on animations, then thought maybe
I better post it here.

Re using MP4
I found several discussions on newsgroups of this issue.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/community/newsgroups/WindowsMedia/default.mspx?query=mp4&dg=microsoft.public.windowsmedia&cat=en-us-wma-nwsgrps-gen&lang=en&cr=US&pt=ebf5eed5-9118-4689-bed7-aea5cbdd7a88&catlist=E249F6E5-0B76-4CFB-9DE3-D0119C25800A&dglist=&ptlist=&exp=&sloc=en-us
Basically it looks like WMP does not support MP4.  It seems like there
may be some work arounds but from my perspective that is not too
useful.  I’m working with inexperienced people in different
countries.  I need something that works very simply.  I could ask them
to download QuickTime but that is an extra step that I have found
problematic in the past (I’ve done that in order to use QuickTime
Virtual Reality panoramas which are great for the work I’m doing, but
the requirement to download has been a problem.  Some of the people
are working out of internet cafes.)

The flash option sounds interesting but I have never worked with that
before.  I’ll give it a try.  I think you indicated there were some
complexities when you want to use the video locally rather than on the
internet.

On Sep 27, 9:01 pm, Colin Holgate <co...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On Sep 27, 2009, at 11:46 PM, Huck wrote:
>
> > None of the above approaches worked.
>
> Which of the MP4 DirectShow decoders did you try? Here's an article
> that goes into great detail about getting things going:
>
> http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/how_to_play_mp4_files.cfm
>
> As the article mentions, VLC (http://www.videolan.org) is another
Re: None Re: video compression Colin Holgate 9/27/09 9:59 PM
The Flash download issues can be solved by making a zip file of the
bits needed. Your user would download and expand the folder, and would
open the index.html in their browser. You would have to go through the
figuring out of how to use those free Flash video players.

Other than that, stick with WMV if you like, by doing the export as
Animation I mentioned, and find a suitable PC program to do the WMV9
compression. There are other codec options in WMV, but using those
might require that PC users have to download an add-on (in fact, more
or less the same add-on as is needed to play MP4), and in one or two
cases you might pick a codec that would rule out Mac users completely.
So it would be best overall to use WMV9 if you do use WMV files.

Also think about VLC. It can play virtually anything.

Much of this would be simpler for you if SketchUp had more modern
codecs, that actually remained selected!

Re: None Re: video compression Huck 9/29/09 12:01 PM
It may or may not be interesting to know: I took your bigriverref2.mov
and Exported it with QuickTime to .AVI.  instead of about 13MB it was
18MB, however the quality was disastrously awful.

On Sep 27, 9:59 pm, Colin Holgate <co...@verizon.net> wrote:
> The Flash download issues can be solved by making a zip file of the
> bits needed. Your user would download and expand the folder, and would
> open the index.html in their browser. You would have to go through the
> figuring out of how to use those free Flash video players.
>
> Other than that, stick with WMV if you like, by doing the export as
> Animation I mentioned, and find a suitable PC program to do the WMV9
> compression. There are other codec options in WMV, but using those
> might require that PC users have to download an add-on (in fact, more
> or less the same add-on as is needed to play MP4), and in one or two
> cases you might pick a codec that would rule out Mac users completely.
> So it would be best overall to use WMV9 if you do use WMV files.
>
> Also think about VLC. It can play virtually anything.
>
> Much of this would be simpler for you if SketchUp had more modern
> codecs, that actually remained selected!
Re: None Re: video compression Colin Holgate 9/29/09 12:23 PM

On Sep 29, 2009, at 3:01 PM, Huck wrote:

> It may or may not be interesting to know: I took your bigriverref2.mov
> and Exported it with QuickTime to .AVI.  instead of about 13MB it was
> 18MB, however the quality was disastrously awful.

Well, you already said it was AVI!

Seriously though, AVI can have many codecs, and the default one
selected is Cinepak. There are several DV ones too, intended for
video, but there is also None and BMP, You could export as None, and
hopefully would get a massive file that Windows programs could
recompress to WMV9.

In other words, don't use AVI. It's many years I think since Microsoft
gave up on it.

Re: None Re: video compression Colin Holgate 9/29/09 1:10 PM
Here's something you'll find very encouraging:

http://xfiles.funnygarbage.com/~colinholgate/video/bigriver.wmv

Even though this is a recompression of my H.264 movie, it still looks
as good. It did grow by 1MB, but that's not too bad. It uses the WMV9
codec that I've been saying to use for WMVs.

Re: None Re: video compression Huck 9/29/09 11:50 PM
How did you generate it?
It played on my WMP11 with no problem and no upload or anything.
Re: None Re: video compression Colin Holgate 9/30/09 5:50 AM

On Sep 30, 2009, at 2:50 AM, Huck wrote:

> How did you generate it?
> It played on my WMP11 with no problem and no upload or anything.

I'm a trained professional you know! Well, more likely, I've been
doing this stuff long enough to have various good tools to use. In
this case I use a program called Episode. I have the pro version, but
the lesser ones, and other product names, should be able to make WMV9
based WMVs just as nice as this one. Here's their product page:

http://www.telestream.net/telestream-products/overview.htm

More topics »