Need a new nickname to replace "Silicon Beach"

Showing 1-41 of 41 messages
Need a new nickname to replace "Silicon Beach" Matto Rochford 10/4/12 10:06 PM
Folks, I wish it were otherwise, but "Silicon Beach" is not going to happen.

LA is sometimes referred to as Silicon Beach and now this Reuters article:

Rio bets it can be Brazil's 'Silicon Beach'

http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/business-it/rio-bets-it-can-be-brazils-silicon-beach-20121005-273ei.html

In a three-way tussle with LA and Rio to be rightfully and universally known as Silicon Beach, Sydney and/or Australia will not win.

So it's time for something else like Silicon Gully or [Whatever] Valley or something else that alludes to Silicon Valley but with an internationally recognised Australian/Sydney flavour.

Again, I wish it were otherwise.

Re: [SiliconBeach] Need a new nickname to replace "Silicon Beach" Jason Brown 10/5/12 5:11 AM
Silicon Harbour?

silicon-beach-australia+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at

Jason Brown
e+msn: stopthat...@gmail.com
skype: stopthatastronaut
m: 0405 130 409
web: http://skepticator.com/
blog: http://mycolleaguesareidiots.com/
twitter-corporate: @socmotor
twitter-personal: @drunkenmadman

Re: Need a new nickname to replace "Silicon Beach" Alison Lee 10/5/12 5:23 AM
Silicon South?
Re: [SiliconBeach] Re: Need a new nickname to replace "Silicon Beach" Shane Greenup 10/5/12 5:28 AM
Silicon Dioxide?

Shane

silicon-beach-australia+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at

Re: [SiliconBeach] Re: Need a new nickname to replace "Silicon Beach" silviapfeiffer 10/5/12 5:35 AM
Silicon Sails? ;-)
S.
Re: [SiliconBeach] Re: Need a new nickname to replace "Silicon Beach" chinmiester 10/5/12 5:44 AM
Do we have to carry the silicon brand? How about something Australian like...

Opal Valley?

Lets just not perpetuate the Iron ore/fossil fuel export thing. "Iron
ore valley"... Shudders

Alwin
Re: [SiliconBeach] Re: Need a new nickname to replace "Silicon Beach" Michael Guilfoyle 10/5/12 5:48 AM
Silicon Colony

ValleyDownUnder
RE: [SiliconBeach] Re: Need a new nickname to replace "Silicon Beach" Dean Collins 10/5/12 6:03 AM

I can tell you that Americans wont understand Silicon “Gully”

My vote would be for Silicon Colony as that would make sense to Americans and also resonates with the issues the Australian startup community are facing eg. isolationism

Regards,

Dean Collins
Cognation Inc
dean@cognation.net