Needs to be updated for Firefox 57

Showing 1-5 of 5 messages
Needs to be updated for Firefox 57 Blue Raja 10/22/17 4:12 AM
Firefox 57 is going to stop supporting legacy extensions, like Shelve.  This addon needs to be updated for WebExtensions.
Re: [shelve] Needs to be updated for Firefox 57 lith 10/22/17 4:52 AM
AFAIK that's not entirely possible due to missing APIs. I haven't made up my mind yet what to do.

Regards

Re: [shelve] Needs to be updated for Firefox 57 tem...@mail15.com 12/26/17 10:34 PM
A quantum update would be nice indeed, but that's easier said than done.

Another question: what alternatives do we have? I'm think I'm not that bad at using google and other search engines, and it it seems like there's nothing that comes close to shelve. A packet sniffer maybe, but if you open a HTML file captured by a packet sniffer, if doesn't show the embedded images, etc., because it doesn't convert the links to relative links like shelve does.

However, if you know a good alternative to shelve, please let us know.

On Sunday, October 22, 2017 at 1:52:34 PM UTC+2, lith wrote:
AFAIK that's not entirely possible due to missing APIs. I haven't made up my mind yet what to do.

Regards

Re: [shelve] Needs to be updated for Firefox 57 lith 12/26/17 10:50 PM
It depends on your use case. From you proposal, I assume you want to capture all visited pages? If so, you might rather want to use a caching proxy anyway. Not sure if you could configure squid, polipo or maybe wwwoffle accordingly. I don't think these proxies support caching multiple versions of a page though, if that's relevant.

If that's not your use  case, there are some add-ons like "Save in" that is somewhat close to shelve -- I couldn't get it to work though.

Regards
Re: [shelve] Needs to be updated for Firefox 57 tem...@mail15.com 12/27/17 4:43 AM
Thanks for the infos. wwwoffle looks promising.

Proxy offline browser is another alternative, unfortunately it's proprietary software, and the saved pages only look good if you view them through the proxy. If you open the html files directly in the browser, the images, css, etc. are not displayed. And proxy offline browser only keeps the latest version of a page.

If someone wants to store several versions of a page, you might want to search for a "warc proxy" on github. Such a proxy saves your browser traffic into warc files, which let's you later create your own little wayback machine with the help of the openwayback software. However I tried some of these warc proxies a few years ago, and they all seemed pretty unstable or just didn't work at all, but maybe I just wasn't using them right.