OT: new strava challenge

Showing 1-28 of 28 messages
OT: new strava challenge Faye 10/10/12 4:15 PM
This is the perfect challenge for sf2g peeps- with commuting, you already log a ton of hours, and then the prize could not be more appropriate- a custome beer stein :)

as an off-topic of my already off-topic thread, here is the coolest story of a strava athlete who lost 300 pounds and just did his first Cx race:
Re: OT: new strava challenge Peter Chang 10/10/12 4:20 PM
2012/10/10 faye steiner <faye.s...@gmail.com>:
> This is the perfect challenge for sf2g peeps- with commuting, you already
> log a ton of hours, and then the prize could not be more appropriate- a
> custome beer stein :)
> http://app.strava.com/challenges/cannondale-oktoberfest-with-tim-johnson

is that 60hrs rolling time? those stoplights add up :-)

\p
Re: OT: new strava challenge dmw...@gmail.com 10/10/12 4:30 PM
 60 hours in 21 days.  that seems like a challenge mostly for pfc..

even in the month i rode the most this year (which includes a week i took off of work to ride to la - alc), i only managed 53 hours in the saddle.

darrin

Re: OT: new strava challenge Peter Colijn 10/10/12 4:37 PM
I did 79 hours in bike to work month, but that was commuting every day
+ at least 20 miles a day on weekends. And the rolling time question
is a good one; stop lights are easily 10-20 minutes on bayway.

Peter
Re: OT: new strava challenge David Goldsmith 10/10/12 4:41 PM
I'm doing a century on 10/20 (Foxy's out of Davis) to get started on
this. Will be away the following weekend, so virtually no chance of
finishing the challenge :-)

Anyone else coming to Davis?
Re: OT: new strava challenge Patrick Kitto 10/10/12 4:43 PM
+1.

Turning strava on for commutes to/from the train station will help with an additional 15-25 minutes a day

CX warm ups and cool downs too. thats an extra 2 hours a week there.

Mix in a couple HMBWs and we are in the money. er, free stein i mean.

-PK
Re: OT: new strava challenge Peter Chang 10/10/12 4:45 PM
2012/10/10 Darrin Ward <dmw...@gmail.com>:
> even in the month i rode the most this year (which includes a week i took
> off of work to ride to la - alc), i only managed 53 hours in the saddle.

that's why i asked how hours were counted since most of the commute
miles include a reasonable chunk of waiting but you don't want to
encourage 'padding' of rides.

strava says my bike to work month was 114 hours so it seems doable w/o
scrosby's description of 'monk-like devotion to bike commutng'.

\p
Re: OT: new strava challenge Peter Chang 10/10/12 4:46 PM
2012/10/10 Patrick Kitto <patric...@gmail.com>:
> CX warm ups and cool downs too. thats an extra 2 hours a week there.

good point. weird miles are still miles (or hours).

\p
Re: OT: new strava challenge Brooks Sizemore 10/10/12 4:46 PM
On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Peter Colijn <caff...@colijn.ca> wrote:
> And the rolling time question is a good one; stop lights are easily 10-20 minutes on bayway.

Total ride time is what counts for this challenge: moving time + resting time.

--
Brooks Sizemore
bro...@darg.net
On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Brooks Sizemore <bro...@darg.net> wrote:
> Total ride time is what counts for this challenge: moving time + resting time.

Hmm. That seems to leave it open to padding and seems a bit weird,
encouraging nice lengthy breaks at the waterstop for example. On the
plus side, maybe I'll stop cursing the lights so much...

Peter
Re: OT: new strava challenge Judd 10/10/12 4:59 PM
What luck, I'm going on a 15 hour ride tomorrow! Ride to work, take a quick 8-10 hour break at my desk, then finish off with a ride to the train station...

Re: OT: new strava challenge David Goldsmith 10/10/12 5:01 PM
You could add a couple of hours to that if you waited until the train came before stopping your GPS.
Re: OT: new strava challenge Peter Chang 10/10/12 5:01 PM
2012/10/10 Judd Blair <judd...@gmail.com>:
> What luck, I'm going on a 15 hour ride tomorrow!

dude, it starts on the 20th. you're going to waste your ride :-)

\p
Re: OT: new strava challenge Judd 10/10/12 5:04 PM
Dammit, and it was going to be epic!

Re: OT: new strava challenge Ramesh G 10/10/12 5:07 PM

I have already joined this Strava challenge :)

I can't commute everyday due to some work commitments but I have planned for two long distance commute rides on a weekly basis. Plus three consecutive mellow century rides (~8 hours) on all three weekends which roughly gives 20 hours of elapsed time per week to finish the challenge.

I find these Strava challenges & the leader boards to be quite motivating to get on my bike everyday but the prizes given for those who completes the challenge are not so motivating. For the previous 20,000+ feet of climbing challenge that we had to complete in a week, a small piece of badge stating that you have completed the challenge was awarded. hmmm.... I don't know ;)

Ramesh.

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Brooks Sizemore <bro...@darg.net> wrote:

Re: OT: new strava challenge Carlin Eng 10/10/12 5:07 PM
Re: OT: new strava challenge Peter Chang 10/10/12 5:19 PM
2012/10/10 Ramesh <rames...@gmail.com>:

> I find these Strava challenges & the leader boards to be quite motivating to
> get on my bike everyday but the prizes given for those who completes the
> challenge are not so motivating. For the previous 20,000+ feet of climbing
> challenge that we had to complete in a week, a small piece of badge stating
> that you have completed the challenge was awarded. hmmm.... I don't know ;)

it's for the glory! someone did post hoc stickers for the nuun thing
so i think you're just doing the wrong challenges :-)

\p
Re: OT: new strava challenge Faye 10/10/12 5:26 PM

+1 to PfC

It's for the internal satisfaction, sillies :)

Though I thought beer steins would be fitting for sf2g folk.

Re: OT: new strava challenge Ramesh G 10/10/12 6:17 PM

lolz! I am still in & I was jus' kidding about the finisher prizes. I *love* these challenges & I am definitely completing this one!! I want those beer steins from you Faye :)

10 more days to go for some intense bike action...

Re: OT: new strava challenge thorpej 10/10/12 8:26 PM

On Oct 10, 2012, at 5:07 PM, Ramesh <rames...@gmail.com> wrote:

I find these Strava challenges & the leader boards to be quite motivating to get on my bike everyday but the prizes given for those who completes the challenge are not so motivating.

PEDAL FOR GLORY!  NOTHING[*] ELSE MATTERS!

-- thorpej

[*] Beer, burritos, and pastry not included.
Re: OT: new strava challenge Eric A 10/10/12 8:44 PM
When you're pro, you're allowed to be motivated by the actual prizes.

Mere mortals like us must be satisfied with our little manufactured glories.
Re: OT: new strava challenge Rob 10/11/12 10:52 AM

On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 4:30:20 PM UTC-7, dmw...@gmail.com wrote:
 60 hours in 21 days.  that seems like a challenge mostly for pfc..

yeah.  20 hours / week is intense.  strava says I'm averaging 17:30 / week but picking up an extra 2:30 just doesn't seem worth it.  I am passing on this one.  Hell, I rode 1,400 miles in sept and didn't have one week over 20 hours.

strava, W.
Re: OT: new strava challenge Lina Martensson 10/11/12 10:54 AM
try being slower, dude. ;)

Re: OT: new strava challenge Rob 10/11/12 11:10 AM
gotta keep my avg speed for the year > 18 mph.  i am really looking forward to 2013.
Re: OT: new strava challenge Peter Chang 10/11/12 11:13 AM
2012/10/11 Rob <rob...@manchero.org>:
> gotta keep my avg speed for the year > 18 mph.

nice!
Re: OT: new strava challenge Maciek Wojciechowski 10/12/12 9:55 AM

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Rob <rob...@manchero.org> wrote:
gotta keep my avg speed for the year > 18 mph.  i am really looking forward to 2013.

Now you're making me feel guilty for slowing you down a few times...

On Thursday, October 11, 2012 10:54:54 AM UTC-7, Lina Martensson wrote:
try being slower, dude. ;)

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 10:52 AM, Rob <rob...@manchero.org> wrote:

On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 4:30:20 PM UTC-7, dmw...@gmail.com wrote:
 60 hours in 21 days.  that seems like a challenge mostly for pfc..

yeah.  20 hours / week is intense.  strava says I'm averaging 17:30 / week but picking up an extra 2:30 just doesn't seem worth it.  I am passing on this one.  Hell, I rode 1,400 miles in sept and didn't have one week over 20 hours.

strava, W.

Re: OT: new strava challenge Ryan Anderson 10/12/12 10:06 AM
On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 9:55 AM, Maciek Wojciechowski
<maciekwoj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Rob <rob...@manchero.org> wrote:
>>
>> gotta keep my avg speed for the year > 18 mph.  i am really looking
>> forward to 2013.
>

> Now you're making me feel guilty for slowing you down a few times...

Why?

That just meant he had an excuse to go extra fast another time.

--
Ryan
Re: OT: new strava challenge Daniel D. 10/16/12 12:54 PM

On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 4:46:58 PM UTC-7, Brooks Sizemore wrote:
On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Peter Colijn <caff...@colijn.ca> wrote:
> And the rolling time question is a good one; stop lights are easily 10-20 minutes on bayway.

Total ride time is what counts for this challenge: moving time + resting time.

--
Brooks Sizemore
bro...@darg.net
More topics »