This topic has been hidden because it was flagged for abuse.

Re: 10/12 Friday Friendly Skyline + Portola 6:30 AM RRR Style 2 or 3 bonnie 10/10/12 5:10 PM
+1, game for Bunker Hill again

-Bonnie
Re: 10/12 Friday Friendly Skyline + Portola 6:30 AM RRR Style 2 or 3 Eva Guo 10/10/12 10:57 PM
+.5 from John Daly as I live near the Daly City BART. I've never done this, so big maybe. :) Might chicken out and do Millbway since that has zero climbing. What might be your ETA at John Daly and Junipero Serra? Thx

On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 12:01:52 PM UTC-7, Ramesh G wrote:
Re: 10/12 Friday Friendly Skyline + Portola 6:30 AM RRR Style 2 or 3 Erik Sunden 10/11/12 12:51 PM
+1 to just past Stanford

On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 12:01:52 PM UTC-7, Ramesh G wrote:
Re: 10/12 Friday Friendly Skyline + Portola 6:30 AM RRR Style 2 or 3 Caitlin Johnson 10/11/12 1:06 PM
Re: 10/12 Friday Friendly Skyline + Portola 6:30 AM RRR Style 2 or 3 Ryan Minobe 10/11/12 1:53 PM
+.75, been doing flatland all week with exception of our fun ride up MSB, need my skyline fix.
Re: 10/12 Friday Friendly Skyline + Portola 6:30 AM RRR Style 2 or 3 Mark Kahn 10/11/12 3:32 PM
+4 or so (three of us will be joining at JDB/Skyline, perhaps 1-2 more from Ritual)
Re: 10/12 Friday Friendly Skyline + Portola 6:30 AM RRR Style 2 or 3 Ben Kochie 10/11/12 7:40 PM
+.5
Re: 10/12 Friday Friendly Skyline + Portola 6:30 AM RRR Style 2 or 3 Andy Stadler 10/11/12 9:25 PM
I'm in unless I look out at the weather and chicken out.  But it's
supposed to be clearing up.

I'll be waiting along Mission near Cafeto, see you all around 6:45 I expect.

--Andy
Re: 10/12 Friday Friendly Skyline + Portola 6:30 AM RRR Style 2 or 3 Andy Stadler 10/11/12 9:28 PM
p.s.  No Portola for me;  From Woodside I'll be turning left and
heading toward Sand Hill Road, in case anyone needs to get down to
Palo Alto, Mountain View, or Google.

--Andy
Re: 10/12 Friday Friendly Skyline + Portola 6:30 AM RRR Style 2 or 3 Matt Smart 10/11/12 9:54 PM
+.5

On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 12:01:52 PM UTC-7, Ramesh G wrote:
Re: 10/12 Friday Friendly Skyline + Portola 6:30 AM RRR Style 2 or 3 Andy Stadler 10/11/12 10:33 PM
Alemany is fine.

Don't wait for me if you don't see me.  Let's make JD+Skyline the
regroup, in case I wind up a little ahead or a little behind you, and
others have already said they'll be meeting us there.

--Andy
Re: 10/12 Friday Friendly Skyline + Portola 6:30 AM RRR Style 2 or 3 Mark Kahn 10/12/12 6:04 AM
-1 (not sure about the others who were going to meet at jdb/skyline)
Re: 10/12 Friday Friendly Skyline + Portola 6:30 AM RRR Style 2 or 3 Caitlin Johnson 10/12/12 6:15 AM

-1 slipped on wet muni tracks. Need to get arm checked out. Be careful folks!

Re: 10/12 Friday Friendly Skyline + Portola 6:30 AM RRR Style 2 or 3 Mark Kahn 10/12/12 6:30 AM
+1 after all
Re: 10/12 Friday Friendly Skyline + Portola 6:30 AM RRR Style 2 or 3 Mark Kahn 10/12/12 1:39 PM
Oof...glad you're ok, Ramesh.  We had a good, slow ride down with our colleague, Julia, who was new to Skyline.  Thanks for calling the ride.
Re: 10/12 Friday Friendly Skyline + Portola 6:30 AM RRR Style 2 or 3 impunity 10/12/12 1:43 PM
ouch, sorry to hear it dude.  I've heard of a couple crashes today -- first rain on oily roads and all.  glad you're alright.
Re: 10/12 Friday Friendly Skyline + Portola 6:30 AM RRR Style 2 or 3 blizzzz 10/12/12 2:02 PM
After doing some very mediocre repairs on various road rash injuries thus resulting in infections / very lengthy healing process... someone on our Pen Velo team did a write up on the prescribed cleanup and maintenance for road rash.. I fully endorse.

  • If possible cover dirty wound in triple antibiotic ointment as soon as possible to keep area moist until cleaning is possible
  • Cover wound with 4x4 gauze and soak gauze with antiseptic wash. Sold at CVS and has a 2% Lidocaine concentration to numb area.
  • Soak 10 to 15 min to allow Lidocaine to numb area.
  • Shower and clean area thoroughly but gently with antibacterial soap. No wash cloths or sponges necessary, just your hands.
  • Using a sterile needle or syringe tip, carefully pic all rocks and heavy debris out of wound. The idea here is to not increase trauma.
  • Cover wound in Bacitracin or Neosporin. Bacitracin has a lower incidence of allergic reactions (which develops as a pimple like rash)
  • Place NON-STICK dressing over wound.
  • Cover dressing in 4x4 gauze to absorb weeping which will occur for three to four days.
  • Once weeping ceases, then place a second skin or Tegaderm (I prefer the the bees wax type because it provides a bit of padding/protection and keeps the area moist) over wound with a touch of antibiotic ointment.
  • The longer the wound is kept covered, moist and out of the sun, the quicker and better it will heal.
        • Using this method I change the dressing every day until the weeping stops. Then I use the wax or Tegaderm like dressing for as long as the dressing lasts, and keep wound dressed until it is fully healed.

Crashing takes a toll on the body. It takes a lot of energy to repair the damaged tissue so taking it a bit easy for several days is recommended.

Bummer about the kit. :(
Re: 10/12 Friday Friendly Skyline + Portola 6:30 AM RRR Style 2 or 3 steve 10/12/12 2:13 PM
since crash season is likely to be in full bloom from ye olde archives
here's Xtons wisdom:

http://blog.sf2g.com/2009/08/roadrash.html

-s
Re: 10/12 Friday Friendly Skyline + Portola 6:30 AM RRR Style 2 or 3 Jozias Dawson 10/12/12 2:20 PM
Sorry about that man, road rash never feels good. :(
Re: 10/12 Friday Friendly Skyline + Portola 6:30 AM RRR Style 2 or 3 Chris Ryan 10/12/12 2:21 PM
One thing about Tegaderm that I learned the hard way: if it itches a lot, you might be reacting to *it* and not just healing. If you keep using it, the road rash will heal fine, but you'll have another (regular) rash to deal with. And you might start reacting to other adhesivey things too (band aids, etc), at least for a bit...

Sent from my iPhone.
Re: 10/12 Friday Friendly Skyline + Portola 6:30 AM RRR Style 2 or 3 thorpej 10/12/12 2:24 PM

On Oct 12, 2012, at 1:43 PM, Scott Crosby <scr...@gmail.com> wrote:

ouch, sorry to hear it dude.  I've heard of a couple crashes today -- first rain on oily roads and all.  glad you're alright.

Yah, the roads are slippery... My usual Friday lunch spin in LAH had some puckery moments on the paint lines.

Sorry to hear about your crash, Ramesh -- hope you feel better soon.

-- thorpej

Re: 10/12 Friday Friendly Skyline + Portola 6:30 AM RRR Style 2 or 3 Eva Guo 10/12/12 3:20 PM
Sorry to hear about your crash, Ramesh. Glad you're ok. :)

On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 12:01:52 PM UTC-7, Ramesh G wrote:

Traditional Skyline route with no extra climbing. This would be a chill, Friday friendly ride with regroups on top of the two Skyline climbs but definitely not a NRLB type. SCT joggers & deers love mellow riders so let's go down there & say hello to them.

Route:

Alemany - JD/Skyline - Skyline Drive - SCT - Bunker Hill - Portola - Foothill - AAPL

Rollout: Ritual Roasters 6:30 AM

JD/Skyline Intercept: 7:05 AM

Bonus Edition:

If there is any interest at all, we can do the short & steep Bunker Hill detour instead of the usual Polhemus/Ralston detour:

http://app.strava.com/rides/22703754#405355432

It's Friday & let's ride bikes. Who wants to join me? :)

Ramesh.

Re: 10/12 Friday Friendly Skyline + Portola 6:30 AM RRR Style 2 or 3 serena 10/12/12 7:32 PM
sorry to hear this and hope you're ok. i went down on wet rails 6 wks ago and didn't think much about it because the urgent care doc told me i was fine. i wish i had known how tricky/painful wrists are if you don't deal with them properly. if your wrist was affected, you might want to immobilize it with a splint. i got an excellent one at BB&B for $15.

On Friday, October 12, 2012 6:15:52 AM UTC-7, Caitlin Johnson wrote:

-1 slipped on wet muni tracks. Need to get arm checked out. Be careful folks!

Re: 10/12 Friday Friendly Skyline + Portola 6:30 AM RRR Style 2 or 3 serena 10/12/12 7:42 PM
bummer -- hope you're feeling better, ramesh.
further to dave's road rash rundown:
after the initial healing of the skin (when it's no longer "raw"), i found this funky "dit da jow" chinese remedy a martial arts friend told me about helped the skin heal faster. it's a magic potion, brand name "scar family." the website looks kind of hokey to me, but my rash from august healed well, so as far as i'm concerned, it's good magic. maybe it could be like bringing an umbrella, so if you buy it, you won't need it:

On Friday, October 12, 2012 2:03:17 PM UTC-7, blizzzz wrote:
[...]

Re: 10/12 Friday Friendly Skyline + Portola 6:30 AM RRR Style 2 or 3 Andy Stadler 10/12/12 8:57 PM

I have a crash story to share, too.

I was (briefly) part of the OTF group, but dropped back during SAT. I don't mind riding solo and I had podcasts to keep me company, but by the end of SCT, I was wetter and muddier than I like to be, so I decided to head downhill and get out of the clouds.

I took Crystal Springs down to AdlP and turned right, thinking I would try the fleaway for a while.

Not far along, I came along a rather striking scene. A black Mercedes was halfway up on the sidewalk, but backed into the retaining wall; A woman was lying on the ground in front of the Mercedes, badly bruised but conscious; And two or three bystanders were starting to help out (one was kneeling by the woman and one was on the phone to 911 already).

I stopped to help. I was only marginally useful - the kneeling woman turned out to be a doctor so we just stayed out of her way and asked if she needed anything. The 911 woman needed a bit of encouragement, she was very nervous/shaky and I helped her tell the dispatcher a few important facts. Finally, with my ugly bright red jacket I figured I was best equipped to get out and wave traffic through until police & fire arrived about 5 minutes later.

Here's the disturbing part. By the time the police had arrived, we (bystanders) had determined that none of us had seen it happen. But from looking at the scene and putting on our CSI hats, we think that the woman parked on an uphill slope and got out of her car, and left it in neutral. As far as we could tell she was run over by her own car rolling downhill.

I left after the fire & ambulance arrived. By this point I was *done* so I headed straight downhill to Hillsdale CT, which miraculously rolled up in about 2 minutes, and boarded the rear car where I was greeted by our own Mr. Crosby. Which was good because I was glad to have someone to tell my story to and decompress a little.

Stay safe, my friends,
--Andy

Re: 10/12 Friday Friendly Skyline + Portola 6:30 AM RRR Style 2 or 3 Julia Davis 10/13/12 10:43 AM
Sorry to hear about your crash, Ramesh. Hope you heal well and quickly. Thank you for calling the ride and being so friendly to newcomers. This was my first time riding Skyline and it was a challenge yet everyone was so friendly and helpful I'm looking forward to riding again!
Re: 10/12 Friday Friendly Skyline + Portola 6:30 AM RRR Style 2 or 3 Rob 10/15/12 2:56 PM

On Friday, October 12, 2012 6:15:52 AM UTC-7, Caitlin Johnson wrote:

-1 slipped on wet muni tracks. Need to get arm checked out. Be careful folks

ouch.  hope your arm checked out.
Re: 10/12 Friday Friendly Skyline + Portola 6:30 AM RRR Style 2 or 3 Rob 10/15/12 3:01 PM

On Friday, October 12, 2012 1:05:18 PM UTC-7, Ramesh G wrote:

Not so cool part of the ride was this. I crashed. There was some road work & lane closure thing going on in Sand Hill.

That sucks.  Glad to hear you're alright.  Since there's been lots of construction on sandhill and now foothill is a clusterfuck I'm just sticking with portola valley until it is finished.

I hate how signs get placed in the bike lanes.