OT: Fwd: [potrero_neighbors] Garage Break-In

Showing 1-11 of 11 messages
OT: Fwd: [potrero_neighbors] Garage Break-In Johan Beisser 10/11/12 10:13 AM

This is getting common...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: jservants <jeffse...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 10:10 AM
Subject: [potrero_neighbors] Garage Break-In
To: potrero_...@yahoogroups.com

Heads up, we had another garage break-in at 987 Rhode Island (cross-street at 22nd); this is the 2nd time in 2 years! I think the same people are probably coming back... they are only after bikes. My recommendation; don't leave bikes un-locked in your garage. Even locked, they will cut them, so it needs to be a BIG lock.

Thanks,
Jeff

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

Re: OT: Fwd: [potrero_neighbors] Garage Break-In Scott Dier 10/11/12 10:17 AM

Description of stolen goods?

Re: OT: Fwd: [potrero_neighbors] Garage Break-In Ben Kochie 10/11/12 10:18 AM
Actually, the funny thing is it shouldn't be a big lock.  It should be the smallest possible U-lock.  Or heavy duty NYC chain and padlock.

Re: OT: Fwd: [potrero_neighbors] Garage Break-In Scott Dier 10/11/12 10:21 AM

Bolt something a chain can go through to the concrete floor plus a NYC chain. :-)

Re: OT: Fwd: [potrero_neighbors] Garage Break-In Ben 10/11/12 10:24 AM
Am I the only person here who sleeps with my bike in the bed?

But seriously, garage = unsafe.Ben Blizard
Voice: (415) 692-1881
Re: OT: Fwd: [potrero_neighbors] Garage Break-In impunity 10/11/12 10:25 AM
I'll probably get all my bikes stolen from my garage someday, but at least I will have the pleasure of catching it on video: dropcam.com

works great over wifi, has night vision, sound, etc. - DVR'd offsite.  makes a great baby monitor too.

locking up your bikes every day in the garage is a good idea, but as a practical matter it's just too much hassle for me.  (and storing them in the house is not an option at my n+1 level).

-sc
Re: OT: Fwd: [potrero_neighbors] Garage Break-In Johan Beisser 10/11/12 10:26 AM
From Jeff

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/3330293607.html
Re: OT: Fwd: [potrero_neighbors] Garage Break-In Chris Ryan 10/11/12 10:31 AM
Any word on how they got into the garage itself?

Sent from my iPhone.
Re: OT: Fwd: [potrero_neighbors] Garage Break-In Johan Beisser 10/11/12 10:48 AM
Looking at the garage door, my guess is they shimmed the slat, and either hooked the trolly disconnect, or tapped the garage door opener button.

Re: OT: Fwd: [potrero_neighbors] Garage Break-In steve 10/11/12 12:40 PM
Looks to me like it's a large common garage.  All it takes is one neighbor to be careless with their door.  :(

-s
Re: OT: Fwd: [potrero_neighbors] Garage Break-In Mark P Sullivan 10/11/12 7:40 PM
I don't store my bikes in my building's common garage at Harrison x 23rd, but someone stole a bunch of others a few days ago.

Yes, one neighbor's carelessness with a door is sufficient, but also sufficient is a neighbor's lack of rudeness to the guy who bikes / walks in after the car drives out.

--mark