OT: Hawk Hill justice

Showing 1-18 of 18 messages
OT: Hawk Hill justice Daniel Chao 10/2/12 8:29 PM

This guy almost killed me and a couple of siteseers on Conzelman.  Misjudged the road when Conzelman turns goes to a single lane and this is what happened.  Glad nobody was hurt.  This guy got away easy in my book.  Could have been much worse had he missed left instead of right.

Re: OT: Hawk Hill justice Daniel Chao 10/2/12 10:19 PM

Sounds like the photo is not viewable by all.  Here it is again.

Re: OT: Hawk Hill justice Eric A 10/2/12 11:50 PM
Hey now that's some skilled driving.

Out of curiosity, what kind of car is that?
Re: OT: Hawk Hill justice Daniel Chao 10/3/12 11:00 AM
eric - i wondered the same thing and glanced over the car as i passed on my bike.  couldn't find anything recognizable (emblem, make, model, etc).  my car buff friend thinks it could be a mangusta.  if so, OUCH!  http://www.qvaleauto.com/car.htm
Re: OT: Hawk Hill justice nadavis 10/3/12 11:05 AM
With any luck the car is totalled and they guy actually learned a lesson... probably not though.

-- Nathan
Re: OT: Hawk Hill justice thorpej 10/3/12 1:18 PM

On Oct 3, 2012, at 11:00 AM, Daniel Chao <daniel...@gmail.com> wrote:

eric - i wondered the same thing and glanced over the car as i passed on my bike.  couldn't find anything recognizable (emblem, make, model, etc).  my car buff friend thinks it could be a mangusta.  if so, OUCH!  http://www.qvaleauto.com/car.htm

Never really figured out the whole "put a Ford V8 into an Italian sports car" thing... (see also the Pantera...)

-- thorpej

Re: OT: Hawk Hill justice impunity 10/3/12 1:24 PM
But it's ok with British cars? AC cobra, Sunbeam Tiger, etc.  I'm down with the practice (and Panteras are cool imo).

Was also wondering what that thing is, weird looking.

On Wednesday, October 3, 2012, wrote:

On Oct 3, 2012, at 11:00 AM, Daniel Chao <daniel.s.chao@gmail.com> wrote:

eric - i wondered the same thing and glanced over the car as i passed on my bike.  couldn't find anything recognizable (emblem, make, model, etc).  my car buff friend thinks it could be a mangusta.  if so, OUCH!  http://www.qvaleauto.com/car.htm

Never really figured out the whole "put a Ford V8 into an Italian sports car" thing... (see also the Pantera...)

-- thorpej

Re: OT: Hawk Hill justice thorpej 10/3/12 1:41 PM

On Oct 3, 2012, at 1:23 PM, Scott Crosby <scr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> But it's ok with British cars? AC cobra, Sunbeam Tiger, etc.  I'm down with the practice (and Panteras are cool imo).

Ok, you got me there.  Few cars are more awesome than the Sunbeam Tiger.  And, yes, the Pantera is very cool.  I'm pretty sure, among the saved bits of my youth stashed at my parents' house in Oregon, is a Matchbox De Tomaso Pantera.

-- thorpej

Re: OT: Hawk Hill justice steve 10/3/12 1:45 PM
In the case of British cars 'merican motors are fine, better they take
the non-Lucas electrical systems.  of course anything annointed by
Carol Shelby is just fine.  interesting the Pantera/Mangusta
connection might explain the power plant decision.

i was also thinking it might be a Jag of some sort but I'm not that
familiar with their butts.

-s

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 1:23 PM, Scott Crosby <scr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> But it's ok with British cars? AC cobra, Sunbeam Tiger, etc.  I'm down with
> the practice (and Panteras are cool imo).
>
> Was also wondering what that thing is, weird looking.
>
> On Wednesday, October 3, 2012, wrote:

Re: OT: Hawk Hill justice Judd 10/3/12 1:56 PM
"I'm terribly sorry, I almost ran over a bunch of peds and cyclists...in my Jaaaagggg": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eWIrBOc3zE

But yeah, this is definitely a Qvale Mangusta - check out the badges to the left/right of the plate above the lights and the little lip holding the brake indicator light - it's also got the retractable hardtop: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Qvale_Mangusta_rear.jpg

Only 284 of those babies made...ouch.
Re: OT: Hawk Hill justice Eric A 10/3/12 1:59 PM
Wow that's a hideous car (from the back, at least).
Re: OT: Hawk Hill justice murphstahoe 10/3/12 4:24 PM
This begs to be on SFist !!!

Sent from my iPhone
Re: OT: Hawk Hill justice StStein 10/3/12 4:41 PM
Damn - Judd FTW.  Concours judging next?  ISO and Bizarrini also shoved American iron into much sleeker and lighter bodies than imagined by the pocket protector crowd in Detroit.

A Limerita on Friday's party car to anyone who can name the French car that came with a Chrysler V8?
Re: OT: Hawk Hill justice Peter Chang 10/3/12 4:46 PM
2012/10/3 StStein <steven...@gmail.com>:
> A Limerita on Friday's party car to anyone who can name the French car that
> came with a Chrysler V8?

le car!

\p
Re: OT: Hawk Hill justice Lina Martensson 10/3/12 4:48 PM

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 4:41 PM, StStein <steven...@gmail.com> wrote:
Damn - Judd FTW.  Concours judging next?  ISO and Bizarrini also shoved American iron into much sleeker and lighter bodies than imagined by the pocket protector crowd in Detroit.

A Limerita on Friday's party car to anyone who can name the French car that came with a Chrysler V8?

it probably wasn't a cv2.

Re: OT: Hawk Hill justice Jonathan Hunt 10/3/12 5:10 PM
Facel Vega.  Made famous by being driven my the asshole protagonist of Godard's "Weekend." (cabriolet version) (the Facel, not the Weekend).

To bad I will never see the party car again....

And, regarding Mr. Mangusta: How fast would you have to be going to leave those skidmarks? Perhaps the engineers out there can figure this out.
Re: OT: Hawk Hill justice StStein 10/3/12 5:16 PM
Nice!  Too bad you can't claim your prize.  In truth you probably don't want a Limerita anyway.
Re: OT: Hawk Hill justice impunity 10/7/12 11:56 AM
the other sweet Brit/US hybrid was the '60s TVR Griffith, again powered by Ford V8 power:

http://bringatrailer.com/2009/03/08/power-to-weight-1965-tvr-griffith-svra-racer/

and since Lina mentioned Citroën, there's of course the unusual French/Italian combo of the early 70s, the SM, the "M" meaning Maserati.  some souped up examples have exceeded 200mph.