Using Sequel in Production, Testimonials?

Showing 1-7 of 7 messages
Using Sequel in Production, Testimonials? Jeremy Evans 8/22/11 5:26 PM
During my PgWest presentation next month, I'm planning on having a
slide about production uses of Sequel.  If you are using Sequel in
production and would like to be mentioned, please reply (either
publicly here or privately to me) and let me know what you are using
Sequel for.  If you want to include a company logo, that would be
helpful too.

Also, if anyone wants to write a testimonial for using Sequel (e.g.
"We started using Sequel at XXX and found that we write code faster,
it runs faster, and it has fewer bugs"), I'd be interested in that as
well.  Not just for the presentation, but possibly also for a page on
Sequel's website.

Thanks,
Jeremy
Re: Using Sequel in Production, Testimonials? Jim Morris 8/23/11 1:41 PM
I've used Sequel for my production blog engine, initially with Merb then ported to Rails3, full source code is here http://github.com/wolfmanjm/wolfmanblog_rails.

I have not found too many examples of sequel usage as the ORM in Rails3 but I prefer it over activerecord..

I also use Sequel extensively for Database maintenance scripts, whether it be for pruning, cleanup, extracting information etc.

It really simplifies database access, and of course in cases where MySQL and PostgreSQL are used it can use the same script. Although I primarily use PostgreSQL.

Lastly I use the Sequel migrations for maintaining database schemas whether or not they are rails apps.
Re: Using Sequel in Production, Testimonials? Peter van Hardenberg 8/23/11 1:57 PM
I'm a huge fan of Sequel, and we use it extensively throughout our database service. It makes a great compromise between traditional Rails developers who prefer to keep their noses clean and stay out of SQL and database-centric engineers who know how to get in and write a custom query that will make the optimizer sing. Personally, my favorite element of SQL is the malleable Dataset, which allows me to take a query back and forth between SQL and Ruby with ease.

-p

Peter van Hardenberg
San Francisco, California
"Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt." -- Kurt Vonnegut
Re: Using Sequel in Production, Testimonials? Clint Pachl 8/25/11 3:26 AM
In my previous life I was a hard real-time embedded C programmer. The
complexities and bloat of web frameworks and ORMs don't fit my
paradigm. But then I discovered Rack/Sinatra and Sequel. These
programs are clean, elegantly designed, and their documentation is
excellent.

In late 2010, I rewrote my custom e-commerce site, TargetMeister.com,
utilizing Sinatra and Sequel. I can attest my app code was reduced by
over 40%. Moreover, my efficiency as a programmer as been increased by
orders of magnitude. I will be using the Sinatra/Sequel combo
exclusively on all future web projects.

In the past, implementing additional database back-end use to require
lots of planning, testing, and writing huge, custom data models.
Sequel just makes sense; it is amazingly clean, efficient, and fun!
Thanks to Jeremy for keeping the Ruby & Sequel ports on OpenBSD update
to date. :-)

Clint Pachl
Re: Using Sequel in Production, Testimonials? Serg Podtynnyi 9/1/11 9:14 AM
Using Sequel in our intranet and backends for accessing MSSQL server, generating reports, statistics and  as interactive shell to database to collect real time information. SPB Software spb.com
Re: Using Sequel in Production, Testimonials? rohit 9/5/11 10:59 AM
Hi Jeremy,

We have been using Sequel in production for over a year to flawlessly
process hundreds of millions of transactions on http://www.offers.com.
We ported an ASP/.Net data analysis and reporting system to JRuby/
Rails 3/Sequel. The old system had 70K+ lines of high maintenance and
impractical to test SQL Server stored procedures and 20+ SSIS
packages. All of that has been replaced with testable, maintainable
Sequel. Less code, more code re-use, far fewer bugs and a huge
increase in my teams productivity. The elegance and flexibility of
Sequel made this possible.

Thank you for your awesome support and dedication to Sequel.

Rohit Namjoshi
VP of Technology
Vertive, LLC.
http://www.vertive.com
Re: Using Sequel in Production, Testimonials? Christian MICHON 9/6/11 8:29 AM
On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 2:26 AM, Jeremy Evans <jeremy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> During my PgWest presentation next month, I'm planning on having a
> slide about production uses of Sequel.  If you are using Sequel in
> production and would like to be mentioned, please reply (either
> publicly here or privately to me) and let me know what you are using
> Sequel for.  If you want to include a company logo, that would be
> helpful too.

I believe I cannot disclose here anything confidential related to my
day work without proper prior approval. But without disclosing any
strategic info, I can share that our most complex use of Sequel at day
work involves Sequel models with pagination and xml serialization.

> Also, if anyone wants to write a testimonial for using Sequel (e.g.
> "We started using Sequel at XXX and found that we write code faster,
> it runs faster, and it has fewer bugs"), I'd be interested in that as
> well.  Not just for the presentation, but possibly also for a page on
> Sequel's website.

On a personal usage point of view, Sequel is the only ORM I can use
with jruby and H2 databases. I use it for my code explorations on
small web applications (sinatra or ramaze).

--
Christian