running seafile server on low power computer (Sheevaplug, Raspberry,...)

Showing 1-12 of 12 messages
running seafile server on low power computer (Sheevaplug, Raspberry,...) FD 12/29/12 11:24 PM
Hello,

I am considering running Seafile server on a dedicated low power computer (such as Sheevaplug, maybe Raspberry,...).
Before I start trying to get this up and running:

-do you forecast the computing power of those ARM based devices will be sufficient?
-can Seafile server be compiled for ARM without problem?

Thanks,

FD.
Re: [seafile] running seafile server on low power computer (Sheevaplug, Raspberry,...) JiaQiang Xu 12/29/12 11:33 PM
Seafile server is not a CPU intensive program so ARM should be sufficient.
We haven't tried to compile seafile on ARM. But seafile is written in C and Python so it's portable.

Jiaqiang

2012/12/30 FD <francois...@gmail.com>

Re: [seafile] running seafile server on low power computer (Sheevaplug, Raspberry,...) JiaQiang Xu 12/29/12 11:35 PM
The only requirement to compile Seafile is a full Linux OS, with all the necessary libraries installed.
We'll be glad to see Seafile running on a low power computer. If you have any problem, please let use know.

2012/12/30 JiaQiang Xu <xjqki...@gmail.com>

Re: [seafile] running seafile server on low power computer (Sheevaplug, Raspberry,...) FD 12/29/12 11:48 PM
Thanks a lot for your feedback. I will then give it a try in the coming days and let you know the outcome.
Re: [seafile] running seafile server on low power computer (Sheevaplug, Raspberry,...) Flo Paul 12/30/12 1:32 PM
it works fine on a raspberry. it doesn't use a lot of cpu for transfers, but be careful which filesystem you use for storage. fuse systems like ntfs or extfat use up all the cpu and gives you transfer speeds around 1 MB/s.

here you go:

http://www.fileswap.com/dl/JYrD6QRD1j/
Re: [seafile] running seafile server on low power computer (Sheevaplug, Raspberry,...) Shuai Lin 12/30/12 6:36 PM
Hi Paul,

Glad to see you've built a Seafile server package for ARM. Indeed there is a script that can automatically build the server release tarball.  Take a look at it here

Later this week I'll write about how to use the script on the seafile github wiki.

Regards,
Lin
Re: [seafile] running seafile server on low power computer (Sheevaplug, Raspberry,...) FD 1/11/13 11:47 AM
I apologize if I missed something obvious, but my 1st install of seafile server is failing at very early stage:

---
Checking packages needed by seafile ...

Checking python on this machine ...
Find python: python2.6

  Checking python module: setuptools ... Done.
  Checking python module: python-simplejson ... Done.
  Checking python module: python-imaging ... Done.
  Checking python module: python-sqlite3 ... Done.

Checking for sqlite3 ...Done.

Checking Done.

What do you want to use as the name of this seafile server?
Your seafile users would see this name in their seafile client.
You can use a-z, A-Z, 0-9, _ and -, and the length should be 3 ~ 15
[server name]: seafile-test

What is the ip or domain of this server?
For example, www.mycompany.com, or, 192.168.1.101

[ip or domain]: 192.168.1.10

What tcp port do you want to use for ccnet server?
10001 is the recommended port.
[default: 10001 ]

Where do you want to put your seafile data?
Note: Please use a volume with enough free space.
[default: /home/fd/seafile-test/seafile-data ] /mnt/usb-disk/seafile-data

What tcp port do you want to use for seafile server?
12001 is the recommended port.
[default: 12001 ]

This is your config information:

server name:        seafile-test
server ip/domain:   192.168.1.10
server port:        10001
seafile data dir:   /mnt/usb-disk/seafile-data
seafile port:       12001

If you are OK with these configuration, press [ENTER] to continue.

Generating ccnet configuration in /home/fd/seafile-test/ccnet...

Error occured during setup.
Please fix possible problems and run the script again.
---

How can I find out what the error is?

Thanks,

Re: [seafile] running seafile server on low power computer (Sheevaplug, Raspberry,...) Shuai Lin 1/11/13 7:17 PM
Hi FD,

Please give us more details about your enviroument.

What is the OS / CPU type?

Which seafile server package are you using?

Re: [seafile] running seafile server on low power computer (Sheevaplug, Raspberry,...) FD 1/12/13 2:23 AM

Please give us more details about your enviroument.

What is the OS / CPU type?

This is Sheevaplug (ARM CPU) with Debian 6.0.6

Which seafile server package are you using?

I am using the ARM package that was published above in this thread.

Thanks for your help.

Re: [seafile] running seafile server on low power computer (Sheevaplug, Raspberry,...) Shuai Lin 1/12/13 4:37 AM
Well, please edit the file setup-seafile.sh to let it print the error message.

  1.  Find the line containing the following code:       ${ccnet_init}" -c "${default_ccnet_conf_dir}" ... 2>/dev/null 1>&2
  2. Remove the part "2>/dev/null 1>&2"
  3. Run the script again. If it fails again, please give me the error message.

Re: [seafile] running seafile server on low power computer (Sheevaplug, Raspberry,...) FD 1/12/13 12:12 PM
ok. so this line is failing:

./setup-seafile.sh: line 365: /home/fd/seafile-test/seafile-server-20121231-arm/seafile/bin/ccnet-init: No such file or directory

The file does exist, but the binary seems not to execute well:
---
fd@plug:~/seafile-test/seafile-server-20121231-arm/seafile/bin$ ./ccnet-init
bash: ./ccnet-init: No such file or directory
fd@plug:~/seafile-test/seafile-server-20121231-arm/seafile/bin$ ldd ./ccnet-init
    libssl.so.1.0.0 => not found
    libcrypto.so.1.0.0 => not found
    libresolv.so.2 => /lib/libresolv.so.2 (0x40006000)
    libglib-2.0.so.0 => /lib/libglib-2.0.so.0 (0x4001a000)
    libccnet.so.0 => not found
    libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x400ef000)
    libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x40110000)
    libpcre.so.3 => /lib/libpcre.so.3 (0x40241000)
    libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x40277000)
    /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3 => /lib/ld-linux.so.3 (0x2a000000)

fd@plug$ openssl version
OpenSSL 0.9.8o 01 Jun 2010
---

Si I probably to have the required OpenSSL version....but this is the latest (newest) one available in my Debian version (6.06) apparently...
Re: [seafile] running seafile server on low power computer (Sheevaplug, Raspberry,...) Shuai Lin 1/12/13 6:45 PM
Hi FD,

In the seafile server package there is an openssl shared library with it. Generally, we do the following:

* Copy all the shared libraries depended by seafile server programs (libevent, openssl, etc.) to the seafile/lib subdirectory
* Add the path to seafile/lib to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable when running seafile programs.

This way, the package is usable on various Linux distributions without requiring the user to install these libraries.

Since the package you are using is not packaged by us, you can try to contact Flo Paul who published the package you've used.