Scala SVN -> Github Migration

Showing 1-9 of 9 messages
Scala SVN -> Github Migration Josh Suereth 11/30/11 6:13 AM
Hello Scala Community!

We're migrating the Scala SVN repository to github.   This means that in a few short hours, the *official* scala repository will be http://github.com/scala/scala.

A few quick notes:

  • The unofficial repository currently located at  http://github.com/scala/scala will be moved to  http://github.com/scala/legacy-svn-scala.  It's history will no longer be supported.   We've rewritten the SVN history to make it faster for users to fork, read commits and make changes.  Those who have pull-requests against the *unofficial* repository can expect support from yours truly in migrating their pull-requests to the official repo.  Send me an email if you need help migrating your commits.
  • You will *STILL* be required to sign the CLA before any patches/pull requests can be accepted into the main repository.  Patches should *still* be accompanied by appropriate tests and will have to be reviewed by a core commiter for merging.  The unofficial repository didn't have any official set of rules on the github site.  See here for some good information from the scaladoc maintainers on what contribution requirements are: https://wiki.scala-lang.org/display/SW/Contributing  (Pay note to the CLA and copyright ownership clauses).
  • Things will be in a state of flux for a period of time, until we get a handle on the new development workflow.  While we have a lot of things we'd like to get in place (e.g. an automated bot that will run tests on pull requests and comment directly on your open pull requests, alleviating some of the burden of verification of patches), this first venture will be a bit more fluid.  Please bear with us as we migrate all of our ecosystem to git and github.
  • The official Scala wiki will *still be* http://wiki.scala-lang.org, and is not migrating to Github.
  • The old SVN repository is now READ ONLY.

We hope this venture will improve the Scala development process and, most importantly, allow more community involvement and a more rapid response from the core team to contributions.   We thank you all for your patience and understanding in the move.

- Josh Suereth
Re: Scala SVN -> Github Migration Simon Ochsenreither 11/30/11 6:18 AM
Absolutely brilliant!

Thanks a lot!
Re: Scala SVN -> Github Migration Xuefeng Wu 11/30/11 6:24 AM
excellent!
Re: Scala SVN -> Github Migration Simon Ochsenreither 11/30/11 6:34 AM
What should happen to the links in ScalaDoc pointing to the Trac/SVN stuff?

Any chance being able to link methods to line numbers with the code being on GitHub now?
Re: [scala-user] Re: Scala SVN -> Github Migration Josh Suereth 11/30/11 6:37 AM
Good question.  I know you can make URL links in github to code.  That'll probably be one of things we tackle immediately after the switch.
Re: [scala-internals] Re: Scala SVN -> Github Migration Adriaan Moors 11/30/11 6:42 AM

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 3:34 PM, Simon Ochsenreither <simon.och...@googlemail.com> wrote:
What should happen to the links in ScalaDoc pointing to the Trac/SVN stuff?

Any chance being able to link methods to line numbers with the code being on GitHub
absolutely

now?
well, not *now* as in this instant, but soon! -- all help (even if it's just pointing out what broke) much appreciated!

in any case, I'm super-excited!

a big thanks to Josh, Paul, Greg, and to all those involved in the migration (I hear it involved quite a bit of scripting, filtering, scrubbing and trimming)

cheers
adriaan
Re: [scala-user] Scala SVN -> Github Migration Ismael Juma 11/30/11 7:15 AM
Great work Josh. :)

Best,
Ismael
Re: [scala-user] Re: Scala SVN -> Github Migration Matthieu Moy 12/1/11 10:39 AM
Simon Ochsenreither <simon.och...@googlemail.com> writes:

> What should happen to the links in ScalaDoc pointing to the Trac/SVN stuff?
>
> Any chance being able to link methods to line numbers with the code being on GitHub now?

Not sure I understand what you mean, but does this answer the question:

https://github.com/scala/scala/blob/master/src/library/scala/collection/Iterator.scala#L24-28

(click one line number to start, then shift-click to get the end of the
range, and you get the URL)

--
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/

Re: [scala-user] Re: Scala SVN -> Github Migration Simon Ochsenreither 12/1/11 1:32 PM
The question is how expensive it is to drag the source code placement through the whole compiler until it can be processed by scaladoc (or if there is a better approach)?

Would need to have a look how the code is read into scaladoc...