Formal Scala Reference

Showing 1-40 of 40 messages
Formal Scala Reference Andreas Hangler 9/23/13 2:12 AM

Are there any (possibly unpublished) attempts to formalize the Scala Language Specification?

I appreciate Scala (which I got to know about a year ago) very much for, both, its academic background and great suitability for practical use.

Being an enthusiast mathematician and software developer, I am heavily interested in a formal language reference complementing the available semi-formal verbal version.

... and I am willing to contribute myself to it as far as time permits it!

Although probably useful, what I do NOT mean by formalization of the language reference is

  • theoretic foundation of language aspects (e.g. type system)

  • refining/updating the available verbal version

  • formalization based on different ressources (e.g. in alignment with the reflection api)

  • ...

In my intention, this formalization SHOULD instead

  • closely follow terminology and structure of the verbal version

    • thus provide the reader with – no more and no less – a locally self-contained formal translation of the verbal version without introducing different/additional concepts

  • be expressed in machine-processable syntax, preferably in Scala, in order to

    • prevent/detect terminological inconsistence or incompleteness

    • possibly build executable reference prototypes for severral language aspects (like type correctness, execution model etc.) based exclusively on information provided by the language specification

Apart from me, is there anybody else interested therein?

If so, I would be glad to cooperate in sharpening the ideas therefore and starting with first steps.

Regards

Andreas

Re: [scala-language] Formal Scala Reference martin 9/23/13 4:11 AM

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 11:12 AM, Andreas Hangler <and...@softval.at> wrote:

Are there any (possibly unpublished) attempts to formalize the Scala Language Specification?

I am not aware of anything extending to the full spec.
I think this would be great, if the timing is right. Right now the SLS is behind the actual Scala compiler. To understand (an approximation of) what Scala is, you need to pair the SLS with the accepted SIP documents.

I do intend to change that at some point but did not have the time yet, and nobody else has stepped forward to do this. In fact my current priority is to get an experimental version of the Scala compiler done (code name "Dotty"), which corresponds closely to the DOT calculus (an early version of the latter was published in FOOL 12). I believe this calculus and compiler could be a better basis for a formal spec. But it will take at least some more months to finish.

Best

 - Martin

Regards

Andreas

Re: [scala-language] Formal Scala Reference Simon Ochsenreither 9/23/13 5:02 AM

... and nobody else has stepped forward to do this.

I don't think that's an accurate claim.
Re: [scala-language] Formal Scala Reference Hossein 9/23/13 5:11 AM
Dear Andrea,

I am very glad to see someone else interested in this. In fact, my
research is on what I call language mechanisation [1], and, I
currently implement my stuff in Scala. More interestingly, over a chat
with Tiark Rompf during ICFP'12, we both thought about mechanisation
of Scala in itself -- perhaps using my stuff.

Regarding the executability and the like of the Scala semantics that
you cheerfully shouted for: This has long been a research topic in the
LDF [2] community. Mature LDFs like Maude [3] enjoy a lot of
proficiency on the matter but on their own metalanguage. I am not
aware of any embedded LDF in any general programming language.

Embedded PL mechanisation needs to answer more questions than what the
LDF community has been struggled with over decades. Yet, endeavours
like Feature-Oriented [4], Sugar Scala [5], and (our humble)
Component-Based [1] stuff are all shooting for the ease of generating
PL variation. In an ideal world, someone would use these to mechanise
Scala in itself. Do you think you're up for it? It's a long way after
all, and, I'm still grappling with the foundational level... It's a
great project to cooperate over though. :)

Cheers,
--Hossein