IMPORTANT - master has *REMOVED* replication

Showing 1-11 of 11 messages
IMPORTANT - master has *REMOVED* replication Shawn Pearce 5/18/12 10:53 AM
The master branch (and thus Gerrit 2.5) no longer supports replication
out of the box. The relevant support has been ejected to a plugin:

  https://gerrit.googlesource.com/plugins/replication

If you use replication, you will need to build the plugin and install
it on your server in the plugins/ directory. It uses the same
configuration as before.
Re: IMPORTANT - master has *REMOVED* replication MartinFick 5/18/12 10:56 AM
I think we should plan to host the jar file for the plugin
somewhere.  Didn't you say you had some space for that?

-Martin

--
Employee of Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. which is a
member of Code Aurora Forum
On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Martin Fick <mf...@codeaurora.org> wrote:
On Friday, May 18, 2012 11:53:55 am Shawn Pearce wrote:
> The master branch (and thus Gerrit 2.5) no longer
> supports replication out of the box. The relevant
> support has been ejected to a plugin:
>
>   https://gerrit.googlesource.com/plugins/replication
>
> If you use replication, you will need to build the plugin
> and install it on your server in the plugins/ directory.
> It uses the same configuration as before.

I think we should plan to host the jar file for the plugin
somewhere.  Didn't you say you had some space for that?

http://code.google.com/p/gerrit/downloads/list certainly has space, don't know if that's what Shawn had in mind though.

-Martin

--
Employee of Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. which is a
member of Code Aurora Forum

Re: IMPORTANT - master has *REMOVED* replication Shawn Pearce 5/18/12 12:43 PM
On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Dave Borowitz <dbor...@google.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Martin Fick <mf...@codeaurora.org> wrote:
>>
>> I think we should plan to host the jar file for the plugin
>> somewhere.

Agreed.

>>  Didn't you say you had some space for that?
>
> http://code.google.com/p/gerrit/downloads/list certainly has space, don't
> know if that's what Shawn had in mind though.

I'm not really happy with the downloads list for organizing plugins.
It would get messy fast.

We have a Google Cloud Storage project for gerrit that hosts the
gerrit-api storage bucket. We can add a gerrit-plugin bucket and host
plugins out of that.
Re: IMPORTANT - master has *REMOVED* replication Greg Hurrell 5/26/12 11:46 PM
Can you provide any tips on how to build the plug-in? (I don't have a lot of experience with the Java toolset and I've probably been spoiled by how easily you can do a simple `mvn package` in the main gerrit repo).

Doing `mvn package` in a clone of the replication repo tells me the "com.google.gerrit:gerrit-plugin-api:jar:2.5-SNAPSHOT" artifact is missing. I get the sense that I'm going to have to build the master branch of the gerrit repo first and somehow let the plugin repo know about it, but I am not sure how.

-Greg

Re: IMPORTANT - master has *REMOVED* replication Greg Hurrell 5/27/12 1:36 AM
Just to answer my own question: `mvn install` in the gerrit repo seems to be what is required for `mvn package` to work in the replication repo.

-Greg

Re: IMPORTANT - master has *REMOVED* replication Shawn Pearce 5/27/12 10:04 AM
Yes. We hope to have the plugin API stabilize enough soon that plugins
can peg to a specific version of Gerrit and be built using a pre-built
API, avoiding the need for `mvn install` in the main gerrit tree. But
anytime a plugin wants -SNAPSHOT something, you will need to `mvn
install` in the main Gerrit tree to get the latest and greatest.
Re: IMPORTANT - master has *REMOVED* replication Arvid E.P. 12/12/12 8:13 AM
should /#/admin/plugins/  display anything when i dropped  replication-1.0.jar into gerrit/plugins ?
(yes i restarted)
Re: IMPORTANT - master has *REMOVED* replication Shawn Pearce 12/12/12 10:29 AM
On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 8:13 AM, Arvid E.P. <darkwin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> should /#/admin/plugins/  display anything when i dropped
> replication-1.0.jar into gerrit/plugins ?
> (yes i restarted)

Yes. The plugin should be registered and listed on this page.
Re: IMPORTANT - master has *REMOVED* replication Manuel Vacelet 12/18/12 6:55 AM

Hello,

Is 'mvn install' still the official way to deploy the replication plugin ?

Aside question: was the "pluginification" of replication a way to deprecate the functionality or can we rely on it ?

Thanks,
Manuel
Re: IMPORTANT - master has *REMOVED* replication MartinFick 12/18/12 9:49 AM
On Tuesday, December 18, 2012 07:55:53 am Manuel Vacelet
wrote:
> Aside question: was the "pluginification" of replication a
> way to deprecate the functionality or can we rely on it ?

Perhaps, but only in the sense that maybe something better
could come along now (not that anyone has plans that I know
of).  I think you are safe to use it, most of the main Gerrit
dev companies (besides Google) use it heavily.

-Martin