Re: Setting up Repo for a personal project requires full URL in fetch attribute in manifest

Showing 1-2 of 2 messages
Re: Setting up Repo for a personal project requires full URL in fetch attribute in manifest Shawn Pearce 10/8/12 9:51 AM
On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 8:25 PM, Gulshan Singh <gsing...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm setting up repo so I can use it in a personal project. Everything's
> going great and I even got it working, but I'm doing something I don't think
> I should be doing and wanted to ask about it.
>
> On the remote server, I have the Git repositories manifest and client in the
> same folder. My manifest.xml is in the manifest folder and looks like this:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <manifest>
>   <remote name="origin"
>           fetch="remote-server-url:/path/to/dir" />
>
>   <default remote="origin"
>            revision="master" />
>
>   <!-- path is for the local path on your machine, name is the path
>   on the remote repository -->
>   <project path="client" name="client" />
> </manifest>
>
> But in the manifest for AOSP, the fetch attribute for remote is "..". I
> should be able to do the same, because the URL I use with the -u flag in
> repo init should be appended with the fetch URL and then appended with the
> project name. However, when I use ".." for the fetch URL, I get
> fatal: '../client' does not appear to be a git repository
>
> I then go to my local directory and check clients.git/config to see if the
> remote URL is correct, but it turns out the remote URL doesn't contain the
> URL used with the -u flag in repo init. That's why I'm forced to use the
> entire path.
>
> So my question is why do I need the entire URL as the fetch attribute as
> opposed to using ".." like in the AOSP manifest? Am I doing something wrong?

What version of repo are you using? It sounds like your repo is old
and doesn't support fetch="../" style URLs, and a simple upgrade of
repo to a current version would fix it.
Re: Setting up Repo for a personal project requires full URL in fetch attribute in manifest Gulshan Singh 10/8/12 10:18 AM
Here's what repo version gives:
repo version v1.10.4
repo launcher version 1.17
       (from /home/gulshan/bin/repo)
git version 1.7.9.5
Python 2.7.3 (default, Aug  1 2012, 05:14:39)
[GCC 4.6.3]

I believe that that is the latest version. Any other ideas?
--
Gulshan Singh
University of Michigan, Class of 2015