Bad Scan Resuls Multiple Cams & Version 193

Showing 1-11 of 11 messages
Bad Scan Resuls Multiple Cams & Version 193 Marco 4/29/12 8:33 AM
Hi @all,

we are currently using Reconstructme in Version 193 which has a
working multiple Sensor Support.

Unfortunately our Scan-Results look a bit strange, you can see for
yourself under

http://tinypic.com/r/i5x2cw/6

with this little holes everywhere.

We are using David Laserscanner to combine the 3 Scan results, the
Screenshot comes directly from this software.

We tried to save the Results as *.obj or *.stl, the prob´lem remains
the same.

Several other Programs like Meshlab, Meshmixer etc. came up with the
same results so that we can exclude a software based issue.

Anyone got a Tip for us please ?
Re: Bad Scan Resuls Multiple Cams & Version 193 Mark Schafer 5/4/12 9:45 PM
Looks like some faces are backfacing. I don't see this but i am not using david scanning software.
Check to see if these faces can be seen from inside of the model.
if so then they are backfacing - else they are missing altogether.

If backfacing you need to unify the normals on the surface. Meshlab has feature to do this. so does Deep Exploration s/w (free 30 day trial)
Re: Bad Scan Resuls Multiple Cams & Version 193 Marco 5/5/12 11:27 AM
Thanks for the reply.

Could you please specify where to find the explained option in
Meshlab ?

The Deep Exploration software seems a bit too complicated.
Re: Bad Scan Resuls Multiple Cams & Version 193 Marco 5/5/12 11:32 AM
Just a short Question to Christoph :

Do you have a Release Date for the new Version of Reconstructme ?
Re: Bad Scan Resuls Multiple Cams & Version 193 MagWeb 5/5/12 2:06 PM

Am Sonntag, 29. April 2012 17:33:45 UTC+2 schrieb Marco:
Hi @all,

(....)

with this little holes everywhere.

We are using David Laserscanner to combine the 3 Scan results, the
Screenshot comes directly from this software.

These are holes, not flipped faces (DAVID shows backfaces in pale color while frontfaces are a bit shiny)

I assume your image shows a reloaded fusion result in DAVID?

If yes:
These holes could be the result of close by outliers and/or a second skin (pointing to the opposite direction). If ReconstructMe looses tracking, it sometimes constructs  flipped, doubled mesh parts. That might be the reason why Poisson based fusion cuts holes.
Before fusing the meshes you should remove outliers and/or those eversions

If Mark is right:
Meshlab/Filters/Normals,CurvaturesAndOrientation/Re-OrientAllFacesCoherentely
should fix it
Re: Bad Scan Resuls Multiple Cams & Version 193 jochen...@gmail.com 5/6/12 3:24 AM

I see the same results, when following your protocol.
But when fusing with david saoftware, the holes are closed.

Re: Bad Scan Resuls Multiple Cams & Version 193 Christoph Heindl 5/6/12 3:38 AM

Am Samstag, 5. Mai 2012 20:32:24 UTC+2 schrieb Marco:
Just a short Question to Christoph :

Do you have a Release Date for the new Version of Reconstructme ?

Hopefully next week.

Best,
Christoph
Re: Bad Scan Resuls Multiple Cams & Version 193 MagWeb 5/6/12 4:01 AM

Am Sonntag, 6. Mai 2012 12:24:19 UTC+2 schrieb jochen...@gmail.com:

I see the same results, when following your protocol.

So if the holes are in the partial results of the single Kinects this maybe a result caused by the overlapping projections.

Maybe the depth sensor detects projected points coming from two emitters as one and ignores those points/or decodes its depth value to a wrong distance as an outlier (maybe out of the volume) ?
Re: Bad Scan Resuls Multiple Cams & Version 193 Mark Schafer 5/6/12 5:14 AM

On Sunday, May 6, 2012 6:27:36 AM UTC+12, Marco wrote:
The Deep Exploration software seems a bit too complicated.

If you want to try in Deep Exploration. Go to CAD Toolbar. Press Unify normals button.
Also has excellent polygon reduction routine with interactive slider.

Outliers can be removed by R-click/tools/separate meshes and manually grabbing and deleting them in the viewport.
Re: Bad Scan Resuls Multiple Cams & Version 193 Marco 5/6/12 11:49 AM
Thanks for the reply @all

We tried the Method with Deep Exploration, without the explained
Option the Wholes are gone in Standard-View.

The explained Method with Deep Exploration did not work for us. We
opened the Shape in Deep Exploration, unify Normals and Export it as
*.obj.

Then we opened up the File in David => Same Issue.

I think we finally should ignore the little wholes and join them with
David (Hopefully this wont disturb the joining Process) and do the
rest with Meshlab.

If youre interested we will post the results.
Re: Bad Scan Resuls Multiple Cams & Version 193 Mark Schafer 5/6/12 1:41 PM
We tried the Method with Deep Exploration, without the explained
Option the Wholes are gone in Standard-View.

If you don't see holes when loaded then the faces are there. good news.
Try ctrl-H (show backfacing). It togggles the rendering mode to show/hide backfacing faces.
This will reveal if the winding of these faces is incorrect.
There are two more tools on the CAD toolbar for dealing with these kinds of faces.

(so the directoin of a normal can be correct and its face winding incorrect)
feel free to snip out a portion of the offending model, save as obj and post here.