na-soccer-digest V95 #184

Showing 1-1 of 1 messages
na-soccer-digest V95 #184 owner-na-so...@hoplite.org 5/15/95 12:00 AM
------------------------------

na-soccer-digest            Monday, 15 May 1995        Volume 95 : Number 184

This Digest contains:
NAS Note on the Ramblers' sked
NAS Match Report: Texas Lightning - Arkansas A's, 5/13/95
NAS join Sam's Army: the US Soccer Fan Club
NAS Bad news, folks...
Re: NAS ESPN & The List
Re: NAS Bad news, folks...
NAS Queiroz back  with Sporting Lisbon
NAS Richmond Kickers vs Nashville Monarchs (USISL)
Re: NAS Queiroz back  with Sporting Lisbon
Re: NAS Match Report: Texas Lightning - Arkansas A's, 5/13/95
NAS Shootout Rules
NAS usisl results
NAS Hampton Roads Mariners Results 12 -13 May
NAS [R] Chicago Stingers v. Minnesota Thunder
NAS St. Louis Knights Results
NAS (UN)SUBSCRIBING INSTRUCTIONS

------------------------------

From: SOCCE...@delphi.com
Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 01:09:20 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: NAS Note on the Ramblers' sked

First, thanks to SteveO for posting the Ramblers schedule -- since
the league hasn't seen fit to send/call/fax us regarding New Hampshire/
Montreal's venue switches or anything else on the subject for that
matter.  I imagine the league doesn't see it as necessary since we
don't have to travel to Montreal/New Hampshire this season, though
they do come to North Jersey on June 10.

A quick note on the NH sked: the "New Jersey" of August 5 is the
Jersey Dragons.

Thanks,

Mark
North Jersey Imperials

------------------------------

From: dus...@metronet.com (Dustin R. Christmann)
Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 05:07:39 -0500
Subject: NAS Match Report: Texas Lightning - Arkansas A's, 5/13/95

Texas Lightning         4 (2)   Depaah 13; Jones 20,57; Ferri 44
Arkansas A's            1 (0)   Haudrich 33

Texas: White jerseys with black trim, white shorts, white socks
Arkansas: Black and yellow plaid (yes, plaid) jerseys, black shorts, navy socks

Site: Anderson Stadium, Mansfield, TX
Att: Several hundred, maybe a thousand
No starting lineups due to late arrival.

This is my first match report, so please forgive any problems you might have
with it. :-)

The Lightning returned home to the friendly confines of Anderson Stadium
this weekend after their roadtrip to the wacky Southeast, where you can't
tell which team is in which league without a program, visiting the Atlanta
Don't-Have-Visa-Problems (nee Magic) and the Chattanooga Choo-Choos (nee
Express), picking up 11 points (let me recheck my math, yeah, 11) in the
process on the strength of a 2-3 win over the Magic on 5/5 and a 8-2
drubbing by the Express the next day.  Someone should look into the records
of visiting teams playing the second game of the weekend.

Meanwhile, the A's were playing their second game in the Metroplex in as
many nights, playing Friday night at Franklin Field in Dallas against the
class of the South Central Division, the D/FW Toros.  I was out on a date
with my girlfriend, so I couldn't make it to the Toros-A's game.  Given
Arkansas' record thus far this season, however, albeit versus mostly pro
teams, I'd be willing to guess that the Toros won.  In any case, the A's
could not have been feeling too good coming into their game against the
Lightning.

Once the match started, any optimism they might have had quickly vanished.
From the outset, Texas dominated the match, passing crisply, controlling the
ball well, and winning balls easily.  Arkansas, clearly outclassed, resorted
to thuggish tactics and dangerous play.  They blatently shoved, yanked
jerseys, and tackled from behind without a pretense of playing the ball.
The "A" must stand for "Arsenal."

Danny Depaah, the Lightning's dread-locked center midfielder, scored midway
through the first half, dribbling the ball from the center stripe to inside
the Arkansas box, hammering a shot past the Arkansas keeper, Brian Armstrong.

Upon the restart, it was more of the same.  Texas had several chances in a
row, broken only by the occasion Arkansas attack, usually consisting of a
lone attacker, usually met by four Lightning defenders.  Texas keeper Jason
Walls was rarely challenged in the first half, thanks to constant offensive
pressure and superb defense.  Forward A.J. Jones poached the second goal for
the Lightning in the 20th minute during a scramble in the box.

For the rest of the first half, two things became readily apparent.  First,
the only things that would prevent the Lightning from making the match a
rout were Jones' timidness in shooting deep in the Arkansas end and other
players' wide shots.  Secondly, the fatigued Arkansas side were playing a
very defensive game on the road, hoping to keep the score low and trying to
get whatever points they could.  This strategy clearly wasn't working, and
the first half ended with Texas on top 2-0.

For our halftime entertainment, the Lightning present a match between the
U-8 Lightning girls vs. the U-8 Sidekicks girls, both playing in the
Mansfield Soccer Association.  I went to the concession stand.

The second half could have been titled, "Same Story, Different End."  The
A's put a slight twist in the plot by actually scoring a goal.  In the 33rd
minute, the Lightning defense was playing at the center stripe during
another offensive charge.  However, the Arkansas defense managed to clear it
over the Lightning defense.  Midfielder David Haudrich ran under it, only
needed to beat the GK, did so, and tapped it in for the Arkansas goal.
Suddenly, a comfortable 2-0 lead had shrunk to 2-1.  A goal scored, thanks
to a long ball... Hmmm, can you say ARSEnal?

This seemed to put the fire back into the A's and shamed the Lightning
defense for conceding such a needless goal.  The next ten minutes saw some
very exciting play, as both sides looked for the goal that would cushion the
lead or destroy it.  The answer came in the 44th minute when Ray Ferri
punched a shot past Armstrong to give the Lightning a 3-1 lead.

At this point, the Lightning attack seemed content to take the air out of
the ball and kill some clock, playing keep-away in the Arkansas zone, with
an occasional thrust toward the goal.  Meanwhile, the A's appeared to run
out of gas, as they mounted very few attacks.  At the same time, they made
sloppy and sometimes dangerous challenges when they did not have the ball.
To their credit, however, they did so out of the sight of the referee.
Meanwhile, our boys did not have the good sense to follow suit, and were
called for some questionable fouls.

The final Lightning goal came in the 57th minute as Jones poached another
goal during another scramble in the box, putting the punctuation mark on a
result which had not been too much in doubt since early in the match.

In the 59th minute, Jason Walls was given a chance to redeem himself, as the
Lightning were given their 7th foul and the A's were awarded a live
shootout.  As the Arkansas player approached, Walls rushed up and tackled
the ball away.  Another A's player recovered it, and was lining up for a
shot when Walls literally threw himself on the player's foot and held onto
the ball.  The horn sounded shortly after and the Lightning had gained
another 9 points (I think...lemme see... victory is 6 points, point for
every goal up to 3... yeah, 9).

On the downside, if there was a match that needed Sam's Army, this was it.
I don't want to be the one to suggest that there were too many kids at this
match, far from it.  However, many times the only noise coming from the
stands (other than a certain na-soccer subscriber's catcalls at the
"referee") was the thump-thump-thump of kids running up and down the metal
bleachers, oblivious to the fact that a football match was in progress.  Of
course, the same could be said for their elders, who seemed to treat this
game as a relaxing way to get out and get some fresh air.  For some reason,
I couldn't see these "soccer moms and dads" chanting "Ole Ole Ole" or even
chanting "AJ, AJ, AJ" for crissake, and "You're sh*t and you know you are"
would have been unheard of.  The few times I yelled anything two things
happened:

1) the place was so quiet I'm sure everyone heard me.
2) I got several funny stares.

[Sigh]

Anderson Stadium is certainly a long way from White Hart Lane.

Next week is the Metroplex derby (oops, don't tell Messrs. Rothenberg and
Marcos that I used that foreign term.  It might scare off the American
sports fan) against the D/FW Toros.  The Toros won 6-1 at Franklin Field the
first game of the season, but the Lightning have been playing better as of
late and they'll have the home field advantage (yeah right), so I expect a
close match.

Calling all D/FW na-soccer readers...

Thanx,
Dustin "Fun, fun, fun in the American 3rd division" Christmann

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 May 95 04:08 PDT
Subject: NAS join Sam's Army: the US Soccer Fan Club

Announcing  SAM'S ARMY, the unofficial Fan Club of the US National Soccer
team.  Below are the goals of this club, plans and ticket info for US Cup 95,
and an information form.  Please pass this along to anyone you know who is up to
the task.

SAM'S ARMY
==========
by Mark Spacone and John Wright of _BOOKABLE OFFENSE_ the US SOCCER FANZINE

This is it soccer fans... The beginning of something we hope will be
beautiful...SAM'S ARMY!

With SAM'S ARMY, we hope to show that our team is not a 3rd rate organization
which has no fan support.  No longer will Mexico, Italy, Germany and other
teams come here and make our team feel like they are playing in Azteca
stadium when, in fact, they are playing at the Rose Bowl in the USA.
Nor will the USSF have to embarrass the true American fan by hiring an
idiot who runs around banging a drum to get the crowd fired up!  We could
do that ourselves.

With the US Cup this summer, we hope SAM'S ARMY can make its debut.  We hope
you will be part of SAM'S ARMY and also recruit others to join.  This will
take some dedication on everyone's part to make it a success.  It is going to
take all of us to get off our ass and travel a "few" hundred miles to the
games. It's going to take all of us buying tickets together, in one section,
so that we will be noticed.   It's going to take all of us to bring flags,
banners, scarves and singing voices to cheer and motivate our team on the
pitch.

Who can join SAM'S ARMY?
========================
Our mission is clear, SAM'S ARMY wants enthusiastic soccer fans who
will PARTICIPATE at games; we want people who will STAND and SING for the
DURATION of the game, show their colors, bring original flags, give our team
the home field advantage, and ENERGIZE the rest of the crowd.
We want to make these events as fun as possible for everyone.
If you feel up to this challenge, then SAM'S ARMY is for you.

The goal of SAM'S ARMY is to make soccer games a more enjoyable experience for
everyone.  We will not tolerate hooligan, racist, or violent behavior.

SAM'S ARMY debuts at the US CUP 95!
===================================
SAM'S ARMY will debut at the US Cup at Foxboro on June 11, televised
live by ESPN.  We also want a strong presence at the other 2 US games
in Washington, DC on June 18 and Piscataway, NJ on June 25.
US Soccer has set aside a block of 500 tickets for SAM'S ARMY for each of
the US games.

TO ORDER TICKETS for each game in the SAM'S ARMY block
send orders and CHECKS payable to the following organizations:
Clearly mark on the check that this is FOR SAM'S ARMY.

FOXBORO    send checks payable to: Massachusetts Youth Soccer Association
June 11 2 pm                       311 Great Road
US - Nigeria                       Littleton, MA  01460

WASHINGTON send checks payable to: Soccer'94 Washington, D.C.
June 18 3:30 pm                    Attn: U.S. Cup '95
US - Mexico                        P.O. Box 71547
                                   Washington, DC  20024-1547

RUTGERS    send checks payable to: New Jersey Youth Soccer
June 25 1:00 pm                    569 Abbington Drive, Suite C
US - Colombia                      East Windsor, NJ  08520

These tickets will be $16 each with a $4 handling charge FOR EACH ORDER (not
each ticket).  There will be no credit cards accepted.  MAKE SURE YOU MAKE
IT CLEAR THAT THIS IS FOR *SAM'S ARMY*.
Credit card and phone orders CANNOT be taken.

If you can't attend US CUP 95, SAM'S ARMY still wants YOU!
However, if you can't be at the US Cup this summer, we still need you.  We
want people from all 50 states that will be able to show up and
support the team wherever they might be playing for future games.

Spread the word to your non-Internet Soccer Friends
SAM'S ARMY is not limited to the Internet crowd,
our initial publicity push is via the Internet for efficiency only.
We want the most enthusiastic and dedicated US Soccer fans around so please
pass this on to your non-Internet soccer crazies.  As long as they feel
they are up to it, we want them in our group.
Print this announcement out and pass if around to your soccer friends,
teammates, and clubs.

INFORMATION FORM
================
If you are interested in joining SAM'S ARMY or know of someone who is
please fill out this form and return it.  The addresses and numbers will
only be used for keeping you up to date with SAM'S ARMY.
The form can be returned via e-mail to:
                      join-sa...@hoplite.org

A page has been set up on the WORLD WIDE WEB, which has an entry form that
can be used.  The URL is:
           http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~mdwheel/sams-army

or via regular mail, send a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope to:
                      SAM'S ARMY
                      c/o Bookable Offense
                      P.O. Box 1606
                      Amherst NY 14226-1606

- -------------------------cut here--------------------------
Name:
Email:
Address:
Phone:

other members at same address:
block seats (how many do you plan on purchasing)
- -----------
Foxboro,MA June 11:____
Washington,DC June 18:____
Piscataway,NJ June 25:____

comments/offers to help:

------------------------------

From: "Howard H. Hamilton" <how...@ec215.residence.gatech.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 06:05:58 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: NAS Bad news, folks...

I got this from the Benfica mailing list regarding Queiroz.  Looks like
the USSF better find a new coach fast.

- -----------------

From Benfic...@alf.inesc.pt Mon May 15 03:09:02 1995
Date: Mon, 15 May 95 09:55:32 +0200
From: n...@inesc.pt (Nuno Espirito Santo)
To: Paulo Tenreiro <pt...@acs.bu.edu>
Subject: Queiroz

Paulo Tenreiro [pt...@acs.bu.edu] writes:
- ->Hello All,
- ->
- ->I read the other day, from a US soccer post, that Queiroz had given
- ->Sporting notice that he would not return to Sporting next year. If this
- ->is true it would be a strong sign that he is leaning towards accepting
- ->the US coaching job. Also if Queiroz did not accept the second man in
- ->line on the USSF wish list would be brasilian Carlos Alberto Perreira.
- ->Can anyone out there confirm this? or have comments?
- ->

        What  you said was  in fact true,   at least until yesterday's
night, when    Carlos Queiroz and  Pedro   Santana  Lopes (   the next
Sporting's  president  ) confirmed they'll  work   together next year.
Carlos Queiroz has signed a three year  contract, in wich he will have
total  control of Sporting's football teams,  from the youngest to the
elderly. Queiroz, who had  invocated personal reasons for  not staying
in Sporting, politely apologized the team's fans for any inconvenience
his previous  decision  had caused,   confirming that  only  know  the
conditions   were good for him to   stay, i.e., as some radio-stations
have  confirmed, his mounthly   payment went  to  10.000.000  PTE from
7.000.000 PTE first proposed.
        As  for  Santana Lopes,  who  is  willing   to ignate  a  real
revolution in Sporting  creating some enterprises in Sporting's  name,
Queiroz is the coach Sporting wants and the  coach needed to implement
such a revolution.

        Thats all for now, folks.

- --------------

(No) Cheers, Howard

- --
Howard H. Hamilton                             The North Avenue Trade School
how...@ec215.residence.gatech.edu             Aerospace Engineering Fall '96
gt8...@prism.gatech.edu                Sam's Army/US Soccer in '95 and '98!
Champions' Cup Final: Ajax vs. AC Milan, May 24, 2:00 pm LIVE on ESPN!!!

------------------------------

From: "Matthew E. Brown" <ma...@ctron.com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 09:06:08 -0400
Subject: Re: NAS ESPN & The List

Thanks Howard. Well said. While my focus is youth soccer, I am also more
interested in the USISL because there are two teams in my "backyard" now,
I enjoy reading the pro coverage, home and abroad, without all the "static"
of rss.  Even the occasional disagreement is entertaining. If it wasn't for
a full day of coaching, I'd be in Foxboro for the US Cup Nigeria match, and
given the lack of media attention here, I probably wouldn't even know about
the match except for na-soccer.

I thank Oliver for his efforts, because I get to watch a lot more soccer.
I hope I didn't come off as criticizing Oliver, because that wasn't my intent.
Efforts such as his are monumental and fundemental to improving coverage.
Somebody has to be _the_ viewer activist to galvanize fan sentiment, and
he is doing an excellent job. What I think we need is more people to make
phone calls and write letters to the various groups involved with soccer
around North America, urging them to get on-line and in touch with soccer
people across the coountry through the various means available, including
this list. I know that when I call NHSA to find out about tickets for
the New Hampshire Ramblers, I'll be asking them if and when they will be
joining us (both the Ramblers and NHSA, for that matter). I'd urge other
list-members to do likewise. Maybe we'll get lucky.

I am really enjoying the list, and I can understand the frustration, because
I feel it in other areas (as I've alluded, antagonism against soccer locally,
and second class sport status - the high school varsity coach couldn't get
permission to run a camp on his own varsity field in July!).

I also think the statements of support for soccer sponsors are a good thing.
I know that I look at a Snickers bar as a cut above the other poison at
the candy counter because of their involvement.

Matt Brown

------------------------------

From: Andrew Busa <an...@rocky.tntn.gtegsc.com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 07:45:17 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: NAS Bad news, folks...

> I got this from the Benfica mailing list regarding Queiroz.  Looks like
> the USSF better find a new coach fast.
>
> ->I read the other day, from a US soccer post, that Queiroz had given
> ->Sporting notice that he would not return to Sporting next year. If this
> ->is true it would be a strong sign that he is leaning towards accepting
> ->the US coaching job. Also if Queiroz did not accept the second man in
> ->line on the USSF wish list would be brasilian Carlos Alberto Perreira.
> ->Can anyone out there confirm this? or have comments?
>
>         What  you said was  in fact true,   at least until yesterday's
> night, when    Carlos Queiroz and  Pedro   Santana  Lopes (   the next
> Sporting's  president  ) confirmed they'll  work   together next year.
> Carlos Queiroz has signed a three year  contract, in wich he will have
> total  control of Sporting's football teams,  from the youngest to the
> elderly. Queiroz, who had  invocated personal reasons for  not staying
> in Sporting, politely apologized the team's fans for any inconvenience
> his previous  decision  had caused,   confirming that  only  know  the
> conditions   were good for him to   stay, i.e., as some radio-stations
> have  confirmed, his mounthly   payment went  to  10.000.000  PTE from
> 7.000.000 PTE first proposed.

ouch!!!!  What a horrible start to the week.  God help us if we now go
out and sign Pererra(sp).

andy

------------------------------

From: BSAIPA05!BSAIMAIL01!Sel...@bsaiatt.attmail.com
Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 09:01:00 +0000
Subject: NAS Queiroz back  with Sporting Lisbon

According to the Associated Press, Carlos Queiroz, widely touted as the next
US National Team coach, has signed a three year contract with Sporting
Lisbon.

Anyone know any good coaches out there?

Alex

------------------------------

From: jfa...@cabell.vcu.edu (Jim Fajohn)
Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 09:53:00 +0100
Subject: NAS Richmond Kickers vs Nashville Monarchs (USISL)

This is my first attempt at any type of match report so please bear with me.

The game was played on a perfect night at the University of Richmond
Stadium, site of the 1995 and 1996 NCAA Men's final four soccer playoffs
and attracted a crowd of >> 7,437 << fans! This supposedly set a new
attendance record for the USISL. The pitch looked like a carpet and seemed
to play really well. On one occasion, a Richmond player fell and slid
approximately 10 yards on a dry field without tearing up any turf so it
looks sturdy. The only potential problem I see for the final four games is
the fact that the University of Richmond gridiron team will play there this
fall. Hopefully, the NCAA has some kind of commitment from Richmond about
resodding the field if necessary prior to the final four games. Also, the
PA system is rather weak and I hope they fix that before December.

The Richmond team is loaded with talent this year, only four of last
season's players have returned, none of them starters. Prominant among the
names on the roster are Todd Yeagley (1994 University of Indiana star
midfielder), Mike Clark (also from Indiana), Brian Bates, Ben Crawley, Tain
Nix, Richie Williams, David Cox and Jeff Causey ( all from the University
of Virginia), Rob Ukrop (local player who led the nation in scoring at
Davidson three years ago), Brian Kamler (Creighton All-American), and Marlo
Campbell (North Carolina State). The team is coached by Dennis Violett,
current coach of Jacksonville University and former scoring whiz for
Manchester United in the 1960's.

The game itself was an interesting contrast in tactical philosophy.
Richmond played a very Liverpool-like possession game, with the occasional
long clearance by the defense. Nashville, on the other hand, preferred a
Bloody Arsenal-like Route 1 football approach with frequent clearances and
less reliance on possession play. This lead to an interesting mix of
opportunities for both teams.

Nashville drew first blood, Icelandic striker Tony Siikala jumped on a
Richmond give-away at the top of the eighteen, drove across the box and
fired a perfect shot back across the goal into the upper right hand corner
that left former UVA standout keeper Causey contorted in the air. Causey
redeemed himself quite well throughout the remainder of the match, making
seven saves, several of them outstanding efforts. He especially handled
several high crosses and corner kicks well, much better than his
illustrious predecessor at UVA :) :). Richmond was frustrated several times
by Nashville's offside-traps but finally equalized on a kick-in by Brian
Bates that Rob Ukrop headed in from the penalty spot. The half ended tied
at 1 all.

Richmond finally solved the offside trap in the second half, keeping
pressure on Nashville goalie Justin Terranova the entire 30 minutes. Richie
Williams attoned his give-away in the first half by feeding Brian Kamler a
perfect through pass on a 2-1 break and he quickly dispatched it to the
upper left hand corner of the net, giving Richmond the lead with 17:37
remaining. at the 58:01 mark, Nashville committed its seventh foul,Ben
Crawley took the shootout and beat Terranova on a nice shot to the left
corner of the net to put Richmond up 3-1. Rob Ukrop completed the scoring
with a goal mouth tap-in after a pretty cross from Crawley with :04 left on
the clock.

A few thoughts on the game, the rules and the players.

Nashville had just played 24 hours earlier (4-3 loss to Washington) but
were a big, physical team with excellent execution. I look for them to do
well this season. Jeff Causey has a real future in soccer, either here or
abroad. I think that Justin Terranova also will do well in the nets for
someone. Brian Bates is a much better player than he has shown in the past,
he has a wonderful touch on the ball and is confident to the point of
arrogance. Several times he would dribble into and out of tight spaces,
seemingly daring the Nashville players to take the ball. He had one
tremendous run from about 45 yards out, weaving through no less than five
Nashville players befor having Terranova stop his shot point blank from the
penalty spot. He had a lot of excellent combinations with Williams and
Cambell (another good player) but also showed himself to be a real hard-man
in the Neil Ruddock mold. Crawley and Kamler were also a strong duo, moving
the ball well together. Richie Williams is an excellent midfielder and I
can't wait to see him play along side Yeagerly who was injured and didn't
play Saturday night.

I must admit that the kick-in isn't such a bad idea. I saw no real time
wasting, both teams tried to put the ball in play quickly, Richmond's first
goal came off a wonderful curling kick from Bates right at the 35 yard
stripe and both teams had several other opportunities. There were no blue
cards issued and only two yellow. The 60 minute clock I can deal with but
don't bring the A-League time-outs to the real American soccer league!
Finally, get rid of that stupid shootout, its not soccer and never will be.

Lastly, there was one problem that should be corrected soon. The south end
of the field was in shadows due to an osprey nest at the top of a bank of
lights! It seems that there is a federal statute that prohibits the moving
of osprey eggs or chicks up to a certain age and the field will continue to
be in shadows until the chicks hatch and can be removed under the guidance
of Federal game officials. Go figure. All-in-all, it was a very
entertaining game and I saw several players who have legitimate shots at
the MLS next spring.

Sorry for the length of the report!

------------------------------

From: "Jeff Kerber" <kerber@Onramp.NET>
Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 21:15:42 +600
Subject: Re: NAS Queiroz back  with Sporting Lisbon

> According to the Associated Press, Carlos Queiroz, widely touted as the next
> US National Team coach, has signed a three year contract with Sporting
> Lisbon.
>
> Anyone know any good coaches out there?

There are lots of good coaches out there...

The better questions are:
1) Will US Soccer open the purse strings?
2) Will any foreign coach be interested after the way Bora was
treated in his "resignation"?
Jeff Kerber ** IDX Systems Corp. (Dallas ESD) Software Engineer 1
MAILTO:ker...@onramp.net ******* OR ******* MAILTO:ker...@idx.com
http://rampages.onramp.net/~kerber

------------------------------

From: gri...@mail.utexas.edu (ERic Vormelker)
Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 08:21:34 -0600

>Express), picking up 11 points (let me recheck my math, yeah, 11) in the
>process on the strength of a 2-3 win over the Magic on 5/5 and a 8-2
>drubbing by the Express the next day.  Someone should look into the records
>of visiting teams playing the second game of the weekend.

Well, my very unscientific survey of results last year lead me to believe
that this sort of schedule is hell on teams.  I see you're completely
surprised;-)

My memory is that the second game would be lost around 75% of the time.
But I think the important measure would be to find out the difference
between the % of wins in the first game of a weekend double and compare it
to the % of wins in the second game.

Anyone interested in performing this calculation can use last year's
results on my USISL website:

(http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~griiki/quitameehu/usisl/usisl.html).

There should be plenty of games available from last year to give a good
measure on this.

But then again, with all the various rules changes last year, I don't see
how we can do *any* reliable statistical measurements...

>would have been unheard of.  The few times I yelled anything two things
>happened:
>
>1) the place was so quiet I'm sure everyone heard me.

:-)  My girlfriend has to mentally prepare to go to Lone Stars games with
me.  My yelling makes her *real* uncomfortable:-)

>2) I got several funny stares.
>
>[Sigh]
>
>Anderson Stadium is certainly a long way from White Hart Lane.

Welcome to the exciting world of Texas soccer.  Where the fans are often
indistinguishable from the bleachers themselves.  At least you get a good
turnout.

I've nearly got a Lone Stars song worked out.  I'm hopeful that I can get
two or three people singing with me this weekend.:-)

>Next week is the Metroplex derby (oops, don't tell Messrs. Rothenberg and
>Marcos that I used that foreign term.  It might scare off the American
>sports fan) against the D/FW Toros.  The Toros won 6-1 at Franklin Field the
>first game of the season, but the Lightning have been playing better as of
>late and they'll have the home field advantage (yeah right), so I expect a
>close match.

I have no idea what happened to the Lightning that first match.  The Toros
are definitely beatable.

I just wish the Austin had an easier start.  We get El Paso this weekend...

Maybe the silence in the stadium will unnerve them:-)

ERic

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
ERic Vormelker                                  Phone:  (512) 835-3074
Official Title:  Computer Operator        Current Favorite Dance:  Patrunino
More Accurate Title:  Factotum                      SoccerRocker
Applied Research Laboratories                  Univ. of Texas at Austin
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

------------------------------

From: Dave Hogg <hoggd@Oakland.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 10:26:28 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: NAS Shootout Rules

This is for everyone who has gone to a USISL game:

How was the seven-foul/shootout rule being called?

In Detroit's three home games, the blue cards have only been displayed
on fouls in the offensive half of the field. Because of that, we have
never gotten close to a shootout. However, both the Pennslyvania and
Chicago coaches claim it should be given on *any* direct-kick foul,
and only the seventh needs to be in the offensive end.

And didn't someone on the list say the 7th had to be in the
*defensive* end?

Dave

------------------------------

From: gri...@mail.utexas.edu (ERic Vormelker)
Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 09:28:30 -0600
Subject: NAS usisl results

I've started receiving the USISL results from Matt McGlocklin (I hope I
spelled that right), the man in charge of collecting all the results for
the league.  He emails them to me on Sunday night.  I'm guessing that he's
taken charge of collecting the scores so that the NE division can produce
an unofficial table to get out to the press a day earlier than the league.

For this week, I've decided to forward it to y'all, even though I'm
planning on reposting the entire results listing again tomorrow, arranged
as usual, by division, once I get the official fax from the league.  There
are still a few teams that aren't/don't care to call Matt to give him their
results, so there are a few missing.

However, I'll not do this any more if I get enough protests from y'all, so
email me to let me know your preferences:

1. Eric, my mailbox is flooded.  I don't need to see these results twice.
Soccer is really not that important to me ;-) Please wait until after you
get the fax to post the results.

2. Eric, I can't stand it.  My local newspaper doesn't tell me ANYTHING!
My local USISL team doesn't answer the phone.  I want to know the results
as soon as you can get them to me.

Oh, and I'm beside myself with glee.  I asked Matt if he could put the
listings as Home Team First...  and he did!:-):-)

> [...]
>Delaware                3       Albany                  1
>New York                3       New Hampshire           2
>

>USISL LEAGUE RESULTS
>Friday 5/12
>Ann Arbor               4       Grand Rapids             1
>Colorado                1       New Mexico               0
>Dallas /Ft. Worth       4       Arkansas                 3
>Sioux City              1       St Louis                 3
>Chicago                 1       Minnesota                4
>Washington-Nashville    NO SCORE
>Rhode Island            4       Baltimore                3
>Birmingham              4       Roanoke                  2
>Lexington               0       Hampton Roads            6
>Charleston              3       Louisville               1
>El Paso                 3       Tuscon                   0
>Long Island             2       New Hampshire            0
>Cocoa                   3       Tampa Bay                1
>Florida                 4       Ft. Lauderdale           1
>CCV Hydra               1       S.F. All Blacks          2
>Pennsylvania            5       Albany                   3
>Chattanooga-Columbus    NO  SCORE
>

>Saturday 5/13
>Valley Golden   1       San Diego       0
>Reno            0       S.F. All Blacks 1       (OT)
>Hawaii          5       Oregon          0
>Puget Sound     2       Everett         1
>Yakima          0       Portland        4
>CCV Hydra       5       Montclair       1
>Wichita         0       San Antonio    11
>Los Angeles     6       Arizona         1
>New Mexico      3       Tucson          0
>Des Moines      2       St. Louis       3       (SO)
>Columbia        2       Orlando         4
>Milwaukee       3       Chicago         2
>Minnesota       2       Rockford        1       (OT)
>Myrtle Beach    3       Louisville      0
>Richmond        4       Nashville       1
>S. Florida      0       Ft. Lauderdale  5
>Cape Cod        6       Baltimore       2
>Jersey          1       Long Island     2
>Greensboro      1       Charlotte       2
>New Orleans     0       Raleigh         1
>Cincinnati      3       Hampton Roads   5
>Detroit         1       Grand Rapids    2
>Tampa Bay       0       Cocoa           1
>North Jersey    4       Connecticut     2
>Delaware        3       Albany          1
>Las Vegas       3       Inland          2
>New York        3       New Hampshire   2
>S.F. Diablos-Chico  NO SCORE
>Texas           4       Arkansas        1  (This was actually a no score, but
>it's here thanks to Dustin's match report)
>Atlanta-Columbus    NO SCORE (Chris, you might want to point this out to the
>right people, since you know them:-)
>Mobile-Jackson      NO SCORE
>
>Sunday May 14
>Monterrey       3       Montclair       1
>Colorado        0       Reno            3
>San Diego       3       Arizona         1
>Oklahoma City   2       San Antonio     1
>Roanoke         5       Greensboro      3

Comments and observations:

- - Aaron's beloved SF United continues on it's path to the double, with two
more wins.  Colorado Springs may be the only one that can stop them in the
West.

- -Tampa Bay played their first games, a home and away weekend pair against
Cocoa.  Though they lost both, I'd say that 2 and 1 goal differences are
pretty impressive numbers against the SE powerhouse, if you ask me.

- -Greensboro loses TWO MORE!  To Charlotte, and to an AMATEUR TEAM, Roanoke!
BIG trouble in the land of the Dynamo!  (however, with the playoff system,
it would be unprescedented for them not to make the playoffs.  Then, all
they need is a good run.)

- -Hampton Roads remains undefeated, and look to be best in the Atlantic.

- -And we have our first double-digit blowout, San Antonio tallying 11
against Wichita.  Shades of last year.  I wonder if Veselka got 7 like he
did last year when he played for Austin?

ERic

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

From: Steve Robbins <s...@inri.com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 11:13:12 -0400
Subject: NAS Hampton Roads Mariners Results 12 -13 May

 Quick Report on the Mariners weekend:

12 May
Lexington 0 -- 6 Hampton Roads

13 May
Cincinnati 3 -- 5 Hampton Roads

Both games were "exhibition" games so they should not count
in the Atlantic standings. However, in my book, that brings
the Mariners' record to a hearty 6 and 0!

Later,
Steve-O

------------------------------

From: Jeff Ray <dj...@wwa.com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 10:34:19 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: NAS [R] Chicago Stingers v. Minnesota Thunder

First off, my thanks to fellow NASer Pat O'Hern for joining me out in
northwest Cook county for the Stingers home games the past weeks.  At
least until Northwestern ends for the year, we should keep up the strong
NAS presence at the Stingers matches.

Well, before I begin, a few notes on the atmosphere of the Stingers home
games, at the "Hive" aka Franklin High School.

First, let me say that the brass of the Stingers are quite obviously
pushing the team to the youth market.  I'd estimate that 50%+ of both
home games were attended by under 15's.  Makes for a shrill evening :).
But, these kids knew the players by name and clearly enjoyed themselves.

Second, the operation itself is very well done.  This weekend, there were
carnations and a cosmetics bag for all the soccer moms at the game (and
boy were there a bunch).  Everything is done in a way that seems like a
really major league outfit.  I have to say I am impressed.

Now for the laughs.  The "Euro-Brigade" will love this - one of the PA
guys favorite songs is "ole ole ole".  Some of the readers of the League
of Ireland list will cringe at this.  I was surrounded by 10 year olds
singning "ole ole ole".  Sigh . . .

Yes, I've saved the best for last.  The Stingers mascot is - a chicken.
Yes, a chicken.  And not a nicely costumed chicken.  The outfit looks
like it has mange.  But, the kids love him.  I actually want to take out
a contract on him, but that's me.  Having the PA guy tell me to follow
along with the Stingers Chicken makes me wonder if this isn't just a
really bad dream.

Okay, now to the match.  It was a nice evening, and the freezing cold of
the previous Friday night seemed unlikely.  I was curious to see
Minnesota since last week the Stingers played against - well, token
resistance of DesMoines.  The Thunder promised to be a different
proposition all together.

The game started out very fast paced.  The ball was moving up and down
the field.  The first few minutes made me think that a new blue-card
directive had gone out.  There was more physical play in the first five
minutes than in the previous match.  Finally, in an effort to see how far
the ref would go, a Stingers player earned a yellow card - the first I'd
seen.

After about ten minutes of back and forth, Stingers midfielder Harkness
(sorry, I don't have my roster handy) drilled a shot from the top of the
area - and it got past everyone into the goal!  The place erupted - the
Stingers drew first blood.

The remainder of the half saw the Thunder looking more a...