Danny Elfman is a THIEF!

Showing 1-19 of 19 messages
Danny Elfman is a THIEF! pen_dejo,_pen_dejo 4/10/96 12:00 AM
Danny Elfman is credited for writing the Simpson's Theme song
when in fact it is a re-written version of the Jetson's theme song:

"It's the Simpons"   ala
"Meet the Jetsons"........

Hum the two songs, you'll see.  Plain and simple.

Precidence of this dates to the SHIRELLS vs GEORGE HARRISON scandal!

Danny Elfman is a THIEF! Dana Caro James 4/10/96 12:00 AM
In article <316bf622...@news.dmv.com>, PenDejo,PenDejo joined the
discussion by writing...

Hmmm... can you hum a few bars of "The Jetsons"?  When I try remembering
it, I hear "The Flintstones" theme instead.  But now that I think about
it, maybe Danny actually lifted "The Flintstones" for "The Simpsons"
theme; "The Simpsons" and "The Flintstones" have a few of the same notes
in common, don't they?  Of course, they're in a different order and are
hidden within quite a few other, dissimilar notes =>.

If you think *that's* plagiarism, how about that music for one of the
trailers of "James and the Giant Peach"?  It sounds a lot like _What's
This?_ from "Nightmare Before Christmas".  Wait a minute -- it *IS*
_What's This?_ from "Nightmare Before Christmas".

Every composer has been accused of ripping off someone, but Elfman's
extensive catalog of great music is testimony to the fact that this man
indeed has more than adequate original talent.

-Caro

Danny Elfman is a THIEF! H. Stephen Wright 4/10/96 12:00 AM
In article <316bf622...@news.dmv.com>,  <Pen Dejo, Pen Dejo> wrote:
>Danny Elfman is credited for writing the Simpson's Theme song
>when in fact it is a re-written version of the Jetson's theme song:
>
>"It's the Simpons"   ala
>"Meet the Jetsons"........
>
>Hum the two songs, you'll see.  Plain and simple.

You're missing the point.

Elfman's "Simpsons" theme is a miniature encyclopedia of TV-sitcom-theme
devices.  It has stylistic similarities to "The Jetsons," "The
Flintstones," "Bewitched," "I Dream of Jeannie," "Dennis the Menace," and
practically every other theme from a 1960s television comedy.  We're
*supposed* to notice that.

I don't think it's close enough to "The Jetsons" or any other particular
theme to warrant calling Elfman a "thief" in a public forum.

steve

H. Stephen Wright                                        Music Library
hswr...@niu.edu                          Northern Illinois University

Danny Elfman is a THIEF! Bradley Kent 4/10/96 12:00 AM
On 10 Apr 1996 19:46:31 GMT, evi...@nc5.infi.net (Dana Caro James) wrote:
>If you think *that's* plagiarism, how about that music for one of the
>trailers of "James and the Giant Peach"?  It sounds a lot like _What's
>This?_ from "Nightmare Before Christmas".  Wait a minute -- it *IS*
>_What's This?_ from "Nightmare Before Christmas".

It is common practice to use another work for movie trailers and television
adds.  Although not plagiarism, I sure wish they'd credit the work since I'm
often left wondering what movie the music is from.

Danny Elfman is a THIEF! Colin Fish 4/10/96 12:00 AM
Pen Dejo, Pen Dejo wrote:
>Danny Elfman is credited for writing the Simpson's Theme song
>when in fact it is a re-written version of the Jetson's theme song:
>
>"It's the Simpons"   ala
>"Meet the Jetsons"........
>
>Hum the two songs, you'll see.  Plain and simple.

What songs are you humming?  What is plain and simple is that they are NOTHING
alike.

Danny Elfman is a THIEF! Timothy Dailey 4/10/96 12:00 AM
sorry chum, an inspired reharmonization is not theft!
same scalar and harmonic does not  a ripoff make...
consider the lame pop tune"sunglasses in bed" which
force fitted the guitar accent lick from "beat it" onto
the chassis of "sweet dreams" by eurythmics. but hey
they were just mama cass with a drum machine anyway.
To be a theft there must be a total lack of inspired interpretation.
Elfman is nothing else if not inspired.
-
  TIMOTHY DAILEY  PZA...@prodigy.com

Danny Elfman is a THIEF! JUST WHAT _IS_ CHEESEWIZ? 4/10/96 12:00 AM
In article <316bf622...@news.dmv.com>, Pen Dejo, Pen Dejo writes:
> Danny Elfman is credited for writing the Simpson's Theme song
> when in fact it is a re-written version of the Jetson's theme song:
>
> "It's the Simpons"   ala
> "Meet the Jetsons"........
>
> Hum the two songs, you'll see.  Plain and simple.

I don't think they sound alike, but I haven't seen Jetsons in a while..

Danny Elfman is a THIEF! Nuno Markl 4/11/96 12:00 AM
Pen Dejo, Pen Dejo wrote:

You just didn't get the point... The Simpsons theme is a brilliant
joke around not only the Jetsons theme, but the typical sitcom theme.
When you see a Zucker-Abrahams-Zucker film, like "Naked Gun", when
they quote films like The Untouchables, Basic Instinct and so on, do
you think that's a theft?
Hmmm...
Danny Elfman is the best film composer Hollywood has these days, along
with John Williams and (altough this is not 100% Hollywood) the
mythical Ennio Morricone. And if you have a doubt, check his recent
"To Die For" score, one of his most original (and check the others -
Nightmare B4 Xmas, Edward Scissorhands, Batman, Sommersby, etc., etc)

Danny Elfman is a THIEF! John 4/11/96 12:00 AM
Pen Dejo, Pen Dejo wrote:

 Don't you just love people to whome everything is a conspiracy? I
tried humming it I think you are either TONE deaf or do not know what
you are talking about...

                                                      -John-

Danny Elfman is a THIEF! Steve Carter 4/11/96 12:00 AM
In article <4kh5am$l...@corn.cso.niu.edu>,

   c60...@corn.cso.niu.edu (H. Stephen Wright) wrote:
>In article <316bf622...@news.dmv.com>,  <Pen Dejo, Pen Dejo> wrote:
>>Danny Elfman is credited for writing the Simpson's Theme song
>>when in fact it is a re-written version of the Jetson's theme song:
>>
>>"It's the Simpons"   ala
>>"Meet the Jetsons"........
>>
>>Hum the two songs, you'll see.  Plain and simple.
>
>You're missing the point.
>
>Elfman's "Simpsons" theme is a miniature encyclopedia of TV-sitcom-theme
>devices.  It has stylistic similarities to "The Jetsons," "The
>Flintstones," "Bewitched," "I Dream of Jeannie," "Dennis the Menace," and
>practically every other theme from a 1960s television comedy.  We're
>*supposed* to notice that.
>
>I don't think it's close enough to "The Jetsons" or any other particular
>theme to warrant calling Elfman a "thief" in a public forum.
>
>steve

Okay folks..... Let's call a spade a shovel, shall we.

Most major modern music magicians..er, sorry, I got stuck there for a
sec... composers "borrow" quite blatently from scores of the past.  Look at
John Williams, Alan Silvestri, Jerry Goldsmith to name a few.  Some are
more blatent than others but all are quite inspired by peers and classical
composers.

If you really want to get down and dirty on this issue I shall point you to
the Cyrano De Begerac (diepardieu release) soundtrack.  Listen to the
"Gates of Niselle" (sp) track.  Tell me if you think it is only slightly
reminiscent of Elfman's Dark Knight title track!  Copyright dates on the
films place Elfman's theme first historiclly.

"jus makes ya go Hmmmmmmmm..."

Respectfully submitted

Steve

Danny Elfman is a THIEF! Lukas Kendall 4/11/96 12:00 AM
Steve Carter (sca...@ins.com) wrote:
> If you really want to get down and dirty on this issue I shall point you to
> the Cyrano De Begerac (diepardieu release) soundtrack.  Listen to the
> "Gates of Niselle" (sp) track.  Tell me if you think it is only slightly
> reminiscent of Elfman's Dark Knight title track!  Copyright dates on the
> films place Elfman's theme first historiclly.

According to Jean-Claude Petit, composer of Cyrano, he originally did
that as a joke for the director, who then insisted they kept it in.
So Petit gritted his teeth and complied.

LK

Danny Elfman is a THIEF! Evil Ed666 4/13/96 12:00 AM
Even if Danny did get some Divine Inspiration by another theme, I guess
that means that James Horner has to give bach both of his Oscers.  In
Bravehart, he borrows several old themes from several symphonies, as well
as using old folk songs.  In Aliens he ripps off the last movement of the
Gayan Ballet Suite by Katcheturian (though in his his defence, it seems
like Danny's Pee-Wee theme was  inspired by the Sabre Dance from the same
ballet).
     Face it, composers in proper situations will emulate past composers
that they like.  It's a composers form of flattery.  So Everyone getting
on Danny's case needs to chill, O.K.?

--Evil

Danny Elfman is a THIEF! 007-Mr. GQ 4/14/96 12:00 AM
evil...@aol.com (Evil Ed666) wrote:
>Even if Danny did get some Divine Inspiration by another theme, I guess
>that means that James Horner has to give bach both of his Oscers.  In
>Bravehart, he borrows several old themes from several symphonies, as well
>as using old folk songs.  In Aliens he ripps off the last movement of

Just to clarify, James Horner has never won an oscar, only nominated
which is a shame.  I wouldn't call it theft, but style.  A person is
shaped by what is profound to them as they develop and composers are no
different.  How many times would you find a composer who can come with 60
minutes of new material for each film.  Goldsmith, Barry, Horner and yes
elfman have a style that allows their scores to sometimes be easily
ascertained.

Danny Elfman is a THIEF! Evil Ed666 4/14/96 12:00 AM
I've gotten a few E-mails ripping on me since my last reply to this.  Let
me clarify, I was trying to defend Danny (and I have nothing against James
Horner).  Sorry it didn't come across that way.

--Evil

Danny Elfman is a THIEF! Eric Gottesman 4/18/96 12:00 AM

It does not say "It's the Simpsons," it just says "The Simpsons." It is
no longer in the same rythm now, is it?

Danny Elfman is a THIEF! Del Ahlin 4/22/96 12:00 AM
In article <31772B...@netproductions.com>, Eric Gottesman
<er...@netproductions.com> wrote:

Oh brother, I've heard it all!  You'll have a great time trying to prove
that one in court!  If Danny Elfman can be credited with ANYTHING--it
would be originality.

Danny Elfman is a THIEF! Christine & Mike Emberley 4/23/96 12:00 AM
de...@mogames.com (Del Ahlin) wrote:

All I know is that The Jetsons theme doesn't sound anything like the
Simpsons... I don't even see how someone thinks that's even worth
suggesting...

Danny Elfman is a THIEF! Corey Sims 4/24/96 12:00 AM

We can love Elfman's music and still admit that the 2 themes are
similar.  I thought "Jetsons" myself before I saw the original post.
There are actually 2 very similar parts of the music for both themes.

Let me demonstrate in the most intelectual and precise manor of
showing this....

Simpsons:    duh, duh, duh, duh, duh

Jetsons:     duh, duh, duh, duh, duh,
(as you can see they only differ by one comma)

Here's the second:

Simpsons:  duh duh,
Jetsons:   duh duh

See!! I told you.

I'm sure Danny would admit the similarity because he is not blind.

Danny Elfman is a THIEF! BOINGObOY 4/24/96 12:00 AM
On 24 Apr 1996, Corey Sims wrote:

> Let me demonstrate in the most intelectual and precise manor of
> showing this....
>
> Simpsons:    duh, duh, duh, duh, duh
>
> Jetsons:     duh, duh, duh, duh, duh,
> (as you can see they only differ by one comma)
>
> Here's the second:
>
> Simpsons:  duh duh,
> Jetsons:   duh duh

   aaaaaaaaaaaauuughhh! Duh!!!!:)
*****JP...@AXE.HUMBOLDT.EDU*-*HUMBOLDT STATE UNIVERSITY*-*ARCATA CA 95521*******

                 Hope is the destination we seek.
                    Love is the road that leads to hope.
                        Courage is the motor that drives us.
                            We travel out of darkness into faith.
                           -THE BOOK OF COUNTED SORROWS-

            Faith is an ocean you can walk on-Dime Store Prophets