Bart Bobbitt: 20-shot 3.325" group at 800 yards

Showing 1-8 of 8 messages
Bart Bobbitt: 20-shot 3.325" group at 800 yards Joe Dioso 5/10/97 12:00 AM

Leafing through my copy of the May 1997 issue of Precision Shooting, I
encountered an ad for Krieger Barrels, Inc. that showed an actual-size
copy of a 20-shot group shot at 800 yards by "Bert Bobbit [sic] with
his Krieger Barrelled PALMA rifle."  Now this group has a .942" mean
radius, with an extreme spread of 3.325.  If it were a 5-shot group,
you'd say, "Somebody else has shot that well at 1,000 yards."  But a
20-shot group?  God!!

At first I wondered if this was rec.guns's own BartB because of the
spelling in the ad.  Then I realized the odds against having two superb
riflemen with such similar names were almost as great as having
obtained a 20-shot group that small through chance and chance alone.

All I can say is, if BartB and any other poster ever disagree about
anything having to do with shooting, I'll know whom to believe.

Joe Dioso   |  Delta Consulting  |  Psychometrics & Statistics
"Joe Dioso"@columbia.edu
http://www.columbia.edu/~jd152/index.html

        [MODERATOR: There are days when I consider getting 20 shots
         on paper to be a good group .... ]

Bart Bobbitt: 20-shot 3.325" group at 800 yards Bartbob 5/10/97 12:00 AM

I've heard that my name was mispelled in John Krieger's PS Magazine ad,
but I don't take Precision Shooting anymore.  Guess I'll have to call
Krieger and suggest someone check the information I sent them. Thanks to
this post's author for spelling it correctly and for the kind words, too.

Although this 20-shot group is impressive to some folks, it is very
representative of what modern Palma rifles can do.  Several folks have
rifles and load ammo that reqularly performs just as well.  And there's a
few that, in my opinion, shoot a little bit better.  They use Stolle
Panda, Paramount/RPA, Win. M70, or square-bottom-sleeved Rem. M700/40X
actions, but usually with Krieger or Obermeyer or Medesha barrels.

I only wish I could shoot groups like that with metallic sights when the
wind blows and I'm not using a front-hand rest.

Bart Bobbitt

Bart Bobbitt: 20-shot 3.325" group at 800 yards John or Jenn 5/10/97 12:00 AM

In article <5l25np$a...@xring.cs.umd.edu> Joe Dioso, jd...@columbia.edu
writes:
#All I can say is, if BartB and any other poster ever disagree about
#anything having to do with shooting, I'll know whom to believe.

Youąre just figuring this out???

:-)

Bart Bobbitt: 20-shot 3.325" group at 800 yards Don Thaxton 5/12/97 12:00 AM

#
#Youąre just figuring this out???
#
#:-)
#
Bart Bobbit is the real thing.  I knew him when I lived in Colo. and the man
is for real.  He is the best shooter and gentlemen I have ever had the
privilage to know. Went with him to the Camp Perry matches one year and was
amazed at what he could do with a rifle. A class act.

Don

Don Thaxton
Progressive Technologies Group
(541)757-7817
Corvallis, Or.
e-mail tha...@ptgroup.com

Bart Bobbitt: 20-shot 3.325" group at 800 yards don 5/12/97 12:00 AM

Joe Dioso (jd...@columbia.edu) wrote:
: Leafing through my copy of the May 1997 issue of Precision Shooting, I

: encountered an ad for Krieger Barrels, Inc. that showed an actual-size
: copy of a 20-shot group shot at 800 yards by "Bert Bobbit [sic] with
: his Krieger Barrelled PALMA rifle."  Now this group has a .942" mean
: radius, with an extreme spread of 3.325.  If it were a 5-shot group,
: you'd say, "Somebody else has shot that well at 1,000 yards."  But a
: 20-shot group?  God!!

Did he use a 7.62 NATO / .308 Win.?

Don

: Joe Dioso   |  Delta Consulting  |  Psychometrics & Statistics

: "Joe Dioso"@columbia.edu
: http://www.columbia.edu/~jd152/index.html

:         [MODERATOR: There are days when I consider getting 20 shots
:          on paper to be a good group .... ]

Bart Bobbitt: 20-shot 3.325" group at 800 yards Clint McKee 5/13/97 12:00 AM

In article <5lat2v$2...@xring.cs.umd.edu>,
        swar...@pilot.msu.edu (Stephen Swartz) wrote:
#Well, as long as the bandwagon is rolling please let me add that
#not only does Mr. B. have the right answers but he seems to be
#more than willing to help us newbies out when we are going astray.
#More than once he has politely and patiently provided me (and
#others) with a well thought out, well explained answer to a question
#or correction to a mistaken idea.
#Not only does he know his s**t but he is willing to help the
#clueless without making a big deal over it.
#What a guy!!!
Hi Steve & Group!

The best dogs leave the tail wagging to others. So, I shall wag a little for ol' Bart B. After all, he is one of the best dogs around!

I agree with you 100% Steve. Bart B. is a "what a guy" kind of person.

He does help "newbies" & I might add, "oldbies" as well :)

Recently I asked Bart for a clarification of a *very* simple thing: how much sight movement is required for a 1 MOA change (based in this case on the M1 Garand/M14). I was thinking it was 4 thous. But I was wrong. I was mistaken in my calculation based on NM threads & should have used the standard G.I. threads.

Anyway, Bart *most* graciously, politely, patiently, clearly & most accurately showed me the solution. Selflessly. No agenda. Just put me back on the right path. So simply. So effortlessly. So *nicely*. His reply now sits proudly upon my bench so I won't forget!

If Bart says he shot the balls off a gnat at 300 yards, I'd believe him. Why? Because he would not say so if he did not. He's just that kind of guy.

So, as the wagon rolls on, I'm thankful to be part of the Clydesdale team.

Clint McKee
Owner
Fulton Armory

Fulton Armory specializes *exclusively* in the M14/M1A, M1 Garand, M1 Carbine & AR15. We offer world class rifles, services, parts, accessories, tools, gauges, books, etc. It's all we do! Please visit our new & constantly updated Web Site @
http://www.fulton-armory.com

Thanks for the kind interest!

Bart Bobbitt: 20-shot 3.325" group at 800 yards Bartbob 5/13/97 12:00 AM

I used a .308 Win. with Sierra's 155-gr. Palma bullet with 45.3gr. of
IMR4895 and RWS Primers in full-length sized WCC60 match cases.  Had a 20X
scope on the English Paramount action and shot prone with a bag under my
front hand to steady the rifle.  It was about 6AM in dead-calm wind
conditions.

BB

Bart Bobbitt: 20-shot 3.325" group at 800 yards Stephen Swartz 5/13/97 12:00 AM

Well, as long as the bandwagon is rolling please let me add that
not only does Mr. B. have the right answers but he seems to be
more than willing to help us newbies out when we are going astray.

More than once he has politely and patiently provided me (and

others) with a well thought out, well explained answer to a question
or correction to a mistaken idea.

Not only does he know his s**t but he is willing to help the

clueless without making a big deal over it.

What a guy!!!

Steve

In article <5l7flv$n...@xring.cs.umd.edu>, tha...@ptgroup.com (Don Thaxton) says:
#
##writes:
###All I can say is, if BartB and any other poster ever disagree about
###anything having to do with shooting, I'll know whom to believe.
##
##Youąre just figuring this out???
##
##:-)