How to pronounce Langevin?

Showing 1-40 of 40 messages
How to pronounce Langevin? Twist Turner 4/25/04 7:25 AM
I just talked to a guy who had been in the studio business for 45 years,
his cusom built board from the 60's was built with AM16 modules. He
pronounced it Lanj-a-vin, I always thought it was pronounced Lang-a-vin.
Which is right?

Twist Turner
http://tinyurl.com/ul70

Re: How to pronounce Langevin? ScotFraser 4/25/04 9:12 AM
<< I just talked to a guy who had been in the studio business for 45 years,
his cusom built board from the 60's was built with AM16 modules. He
pronounced it Lanj-a-vin, I always thought it was pronounced Lang-a-vin.
Which is right?   >>

The first pro board I ever worked in the 70's was a Langevin & the old timer
who had heavily modded it said "Lonj-van", with the emphasis on the first
syllable, as it would be in French. That's how I've pronounced it since.

Scott Fraser

Re: How to pronounce Langevin? John 4/25/04 10:29 AM
>From: Blu...@webtv.net  (Twist Turner)

>I just talked to a guy who had been in the studio business for 45 years,
>his cusom built board from the 60's was built with AM16 modules. He
>pronounced it Lanj-a-vin, I always thought it was pronounced Lang-a-vin.
>Which is right?

We need to just get EveAnna to reply to this.  Since Manley owns the name, I
suppose they own the pronounciation of it too.  The only thing I know about it
is that the q is silent.
-John Vice
www.summertimestudios.com

Re: How to pronounce Langevin? Bert Kraaijpoel 4/25/04 10:37 AM
If it is French the prononciation will be close to what Scot Fraser
indicates except for the emphasis. I don't know about Canadian French,
at home, my wife and I, we speak French French. The emphasis should be
on the last syllable.

My regards,
Bert

Re: How to pronounce Langevin? Cass Anawaty 4/25/04 11:17 AM
Blu...@webtv.net (Twist Turner) wrote in message news:<2442-408...@storefull-3317.bay.webtv.net>...

> I just talked to a guy who had been in the studio business for 45 years,
> his cusom built board from the 60's was built with AM16 modules. He
> pronounced it Lanj-a-vin, I always thought it was pronounced Lang-a-vin.
> Which is right?
>

> Twist Turner
> http://tinyurl.com/ul70

Hahaha.  I asked this very question at their booth at Winter Namm.  I
was told it's "Lawn-juh-vin"....
CAA

Re: How to pronounce Langevin? EggHd 4/25/04 2:14 PM
<<  I was told it's "Lawn-juh-vin".... >>

That's how I have always pronounced it.

---------------------------------------

Re: How to pronounce Langevin? Richard Crowley 4/25/04 3:22 PM
"EggHd"  wrote ...

> <<  I was told it's "Lawn-juh-vin".... >>
>
> That's how I have always pronounced it.

Likewise.

Re: How to pronounce Langevin? Phil Brown 4/25/04 3:55 PM
>> <<  I was told it's "Lawn-juh-vin".... >>
>>
>> That's how I have always pronounced it.
>
>Likewise.

We had racks of Langevin preamps at CBS and we always said "lanj-a-vin."
Phil Brown

Re: How to pronounce Langevin? Arjan P 4/25/04 5:29 PM
John wrote:
> We need to just get EveAnna to reply to this.  Since Manley owns the
> name, I suppose they own the pronounciation of it too.

And they did refer to it on their website too:
http://www.manleylabs.com/containerpages/LDVC.html (scroll down; first
question in the Langevin FAQ)  Not that they really answer the question,
they just say the G is soft..

Luck, Arjan

--
----Real email: news then at then soundbyte then dot then nl----

Re: How to pronounce Langevin? NewYorkDave 4/25/04 5:34 PM
Blu...@webtv.net (Twist Turner) wrote in message news:<2442-408...@storefull-3317.bay.webtv.net>...
> I just talked to a guy who had been in the studio business for 45 years,
> his cusom built board from the 60's was built with AM16 modules. He
> pronounced it Lanj-a-vin, I always thought it was pronounced Lang-a-vin.
> Which is right?

If it's French, it's "lanj-VAN"

But, like Twist Turner, I always want to pronounce it Lang-a-vin.

Re: How to pronounce Langevin? marty 4/26/04 1:46 AM
On the subject of pronouncing gear names;
I always wondered how Neve is pronounced.
One or two syllables? Should I pronounce the last 'e' ? Is the first
'e' long or short? Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks!

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 09:25:59 -0500, Blu...@webtv.net (Twist Turner)
wrote:

>I just talked to a guy who had been in the studio business for 45 years,
>his cusom built board from the 60's was built with AM16 modules. He
>pronounced it Lanj-a-vin, I always thought it was pronounced Lang-a-vin.
>Which is right?
>

>Twist Turner
>http://tinyurl.com/ul70

Re: How to pronounce Langevin? Geoff Wood 4/25/04 3:07 AM
EggHd wrote:
> <<  I was told it's "Lawn-juh-vin".... >>
>
> That's how I have always pronounced it.

I'd vote for "long van"

geoff

Re: How to pronounce Langevin? Geoff Wood 4/25/04 3:10 AM
marty wrote:
> On the subject of pronouncing gear names;
> I always wondered how Neve is pronounced.
> One or two syllables? Should I pronounce the last 'e' ? Is the first
> 'e' long or short? Can anyone enlighten me?

I always pronounced it nev-eh, like the snowfeild.  But Rupert says it's
Neve as in "leave".

geoff

Re: How to pronounce Langevin? HenryShap 4/26/04 3:18 AM
It's "long-john's". The solid state ones are plaid, the older tube ones are red
with the flap in the back.

Henry

Re: How to pronounce Langevin? LightningRod 4/26/04 7:06 AM
Blu...@webtv.net (Twist Turner) wrote in message news:<2442-408...@storefull-3317.bay.webtv.net>...
> I just talked to a guy who had been in the studio business for 45 years,
> his cusom built board from the 60's was built with AM16 modules. He
> pronounced it Lanj-a-vin, I always thought it was pronounced Lang-a-vin.
> Which is right?
>

> Twist Turner
> http://tinyurl.com/ul70

I had a friend I use to work with with that name... his pronounciation

Lan Juh Vin

Re: How to pronounce Langevin? Andre Majorel 4/26/04 10:26 AM
In article <2442-408...@storefull-3317.bay.webtv.net>, Twist Turner wrote:

> I just talked to a guy who had been in the studio business for 45 years,
> his cusom built board from the 60's was built with AM16 modules. He
> pronounced it Lanj-a-vin, I always thought it was pronounced Lang-a-vin.
> Which is right?

He is.

Langevin is a name from the North-West of France. In French, G
followed by E is always a soft, flat J sound, as the last G in
garage.

You may or may not pronounce the e, both are acceptable.

Unfortunately, it's difficult to find an equivalent in English,
as the AN in lan, the E in ge and the IN in vin are three sounds
that don't exist in English. But "lanjevin" is definitely the
closest. Just don't make it sound like "langgevin" or
"landjevin".

Langevins born in France between 1891 and 1915:

  http://www.cartedefrance.tm.fr/cgi-bin/geopatro/francepatro.cgi?numero=0036152&periode=1

--
André Majorel <URL:http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/>
1, 2, 3... Testing... Does this thing work ?

Re: How to pronounce Langevin? Analogeezer 4/26/04 11:06 AM
Blu...@webtv.net (Twist Turner) wrote in message news:<2442-408...@storefull-3317.bay.webtv.net>...
> I just talked to a guy who had been in the studio business for 45 years,
> his cusom built board from the 60's was built with AM16 modules. He
> pronounced it Lanj-a-vin, I always thought it was pronounced Lang-a-vin.
> Which is right?
>

> Twist Turner
> http://tinyurl.com/ul70

This kind of reminds me of how the Roland Corp. got it's name. The
founder wanted a name that would be pronounced the same regardless of
language (well within reason), and was in London, and saw the name in
a phone book.

so he decided to call the company "Roland"

Analogeezer

Re: How to pronounce Langevin? Bob Olhsson 4/26/04 6:12 PM

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051    http://www.hyperback.com
"EggHd" <eg...@aol.com> wrote in message

> <<  I was told it's "Lawn-juh-vin".... >>
>
> That's how I have always pronounced it.

And that's how I always heard it other than from an occasional person who
knew nothing about audio.

Re: How to pronounce Langevin? Roger W. Norman 4/28/04 6:40 AM
"Bob Olhsson" <o...@hyperback.com> wrote in message

> And that's how I always heard it other than from an occasional person who
> knew nothing about audio.

Shucks, then after all these years of paying attention to you and Glenn
Meadows and Ethan and Bill Park I still haven't learned anything because I
always pronouced it wrong.  Then again, I wasn't think "french".  In my case
it was always Lang -a-vin.  Then again, truth be told, I don't recall
actually ever actually "pronoucing" it.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

Re: How to pronounce Langevin? Steve King 4/28/04 10:24 AM
"Roger W. Norman" <rno...@starpower.net> wrote in message

Unless 32 Langevin AM 5116-B (tube) preamps/line amps were used in the first
console you built.... then, inevitably, the word comes up in
conversations.;-)

Steve King

Re: How to pronounce Langevin? Don Cooper 4/28/04 5:44 PM

EggHd wrote:

> <<  I was told it's "Lawn-juh-vin".... >>
>
> That's how I have always pronounced it.

Me too. We had several at a studio I worked at in the late '70's - early
'80's. It was the model that they show in the intro of the early E!
"Howard Stern" shows.

Don

Re: How to pronounce Langevin? EveAnna Manley 4/30/04 9:10 PM
Arjan P <fa...@email.id> wrote in message news:<108olvh...@corp.supernews.com>...

> John wrote:
> > We need to just get EveAnna to reply to this.  Since Manley owns the
> > name, I suppose they own the pronounciation of it too.

We say "Lawnjuhvan" around here. Sorry I don't know how to type those
schwa things (upside down "e") that probably should sorta be there. We
try to pronounce it fairly french-like as that's where the name came
from. Right?

My maiden name is French. "Dauray"
Rhymes with "door way"

It used to be D'Auray a long time ago...
I have been to Auray. It's a nice place.
---
Cheers,    EveAnna Manley, President
Manley Laboratories, Inc. 13880 Magnolia Ave. Chino, CA. 91710
Tel: (909) 627-4256    Fax: (909) 628-2482
<http://www.manleylabs.com>

Re: How to pronounce Langevin? John 5/1/04 12:39 PM
>From: manle...@yahoo.com  (EveAnna Manley)
>Date: 5/1/2004 12:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time

Sweet.  She replied to my request.  I have this strange vicarious feeling...
Like that's about as close as I'm going to get to owning an actual piece of
their kit.
-John Vice
www.summertimestudios.com

Re: How to pronounce Langevin? Justin Ulysses Morse 5/2/04 8:04 PM
Paul <pa...@scorestudio.com> wrote:

> I had a friend I use to work with with that name... his pronounciation
>
> Lan Juh Vin

You can't count on people to know how to pronounce their own name.  I
had a high school English teacher named Mrs. Dubois.  She pronounced it
Do-Boys.  Good thing she wasn't a French teacher.  I'm not saying your
friend is as dumb as my English teacher, but you never do know can
tell.

ulysses

Re: How to pronounce Langevin? Justin Ulysses Morse 5/2/04 8:07 PM
Andre Majorel <amaj...@teezer.fr> wrote:

> Langevin is a name from the North-West of France. In French, G
> followed by E is always a soft, flat J sound, as the last G in
> garage.
>
> You may or may not pronounce the e, both are acceptable.
>
> Unfortunately, it's difficult to find an equivalent in English,
> as the AN in lan, the E in ge and the IN in vin are three sounds
> that don't exist in English. But "lanjevin" is definitely the
> closest. Just don't make it sound like "langgevin" or
> "landjevin".

Okay, but if you're going to follow all the rules of French
pronunciation then the 2nd N should be silent.  Lahn-je-vah.  That's
why I quit French and switched to Spanish in school.  I always felt
silly only saying half of every word.

ulysses

Re: How to pronounce Langevin? Mike Rivers 5/3/04 5:35 AM

In article <020520042204178788%ulyssesnospam@rollmusic.com> ulysse...@rollmusic.com writes:

> You can't count on people to know how to pronounce their own name.  I
> had a high school English teacher named Mrs. Dubois.  She pronounced it
> Do-Boys.  Good thing she wasn't a French teacher.

I had an English teacher in high school who insisted that the name of
the character in the book Don Juan was pronounced JOO-wahn, because
the author was English, not Spanish.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - (mri...@d-and-d.com)

Re: How to pronounce Langevin? Scott Dorsey 5/3/04 7:39 AM
In article <znr1083581956k@trad>, Mike Rivers <mri...@d-and-d.com> wrote:
>In article <020520042204178788%ulyssesnospam@rollmusic.com> ulysse...@rollmusic.com writes:
>
>> You can't count on people to know how to pronounce their own name.  I
>> had a high school English teacher named Mrs. Dubois.  She pronounced it
>> Do-Boys.  Good thing she wasn't a French teacher.
>
>I had an English teacher in high school who insisted that the name of
>the character in the book Don Juan was pronounced JOO-wahn, because
>the author was English, not Spanish.

Hey, that's how Byron pronounced it and that's good enough for me.
--scott

--
"C'est un Nagra.  C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

Re: How to pronounce Langevin? S O'Neill 5/3/04 11:46 AM
Justin Ulysses Morse wrote:

> Okay, but if you're going to follow all the rules of French
> pronunciation then the 2nd N should be silent.  Lahn-je-vah.

Actually not silent but a nasal N.  Definitely an N dressed up as an H.

Re: How to pronounce Langevin? Geoff Wood 5/2/04 12:37 PM
Mike Rivers wrote:
> In article <020520042204178788%ulyssesnospam@rollmusic.com>
> ulysse...@rollmusic.com writes:
>
>> You can't count on people to know how to pronounce their own name.  I
>> had a high school English teacher named Mrs. Dubois.  She pronounced
>> it Do-Boys.  Good thing she wasn't a French teacher.
>
> I had an English teacher in high school who insisted that the name of
> the character in the book Don Juan was pronounced JOO-wahn, because
> the author was English, not Spanish.

When I was living in Mexico a visiting friend made a genuine attempt at a
restaurant to request more cheese in espanol.  Mas queso  (qwey-zoh, as is
quaver)  por favor.  Which has lived on in our memories for15 years !

geoff

Re: How to pronounce Langevin? Last Samurai 5/3/04 2:33 PM
Justin Ulysses Morse <ulysse...@rollmusic.com> wrote in message news:<020520042204178788%ulyssesnospam@rollmusic.com>...
> Paul <pa...@scorestudio.com> wrote:
>
> > I had a friend I use to work with with that name... his pronounciation
> >
> > Lan Juh Vin

> You can't count on people to know how to pronounce their own name.  I
> had a high school English teacher named Mrs. Dubois.  She pronounced it
> Do-Boys.  Good thing she wasn't a French teacher.  I'm not saying your
> friend is as dumb as my English teacher, but you never do know can
> tell.
>
> ulysses

isn't that how the Dubois, Idaho pronounced as?

I was told that there is some story behind it. IIRC, something about a
weird name that the people wanted to register for their town, the
officials refused and at the last moment picked a random name, of some
city official. People were pissed and they decided to pronounce it as
Doo-Boys.

Re: How to pronounce Langevin? Jedd Haas 5/3/04 2:35 PM
In article <020520042204178788%ulyssesnospam@rollmusic.com>, Justin
Ulysses Morse <ulysse...@rollmusic.com> wrote:

> Paul <pa...@scorestudio.com> wrote:
>
> > I had a friend I use to work with with that name... his pronounciation
> >
> > Lan Juh Vin
>
> You can't count on people to know how to pronounce their own name.  I
> had a high school English teacher named Mrs. Dubois.  She pronounced it
> Do-Boys.  Good thing she wasn't a French teacher.  I'm not saying your
> friend is as dumb as my English teacher, but you never do know can
> tell.

There's a lot of that going on here in New Orleans. Do you know the
correct pronunciation of Burgundy St., Carondelet St., and Chartres St.?

It's burr-GUN-dee, (emphasis on 2nd syllable) not burg-un-dee;
carr-ron-dell-LET, not "lay" and Chartres is pronounced charters, not like
the cathedral in France.

--
Jedd Haas - Artist
http://www.gallerytungsten.com

Re: How to pronounce Langevin? Mike Rivers 5/3/04 3:44 PM

In article <cbxlc.1605$s3.1...@news02.tsnz.net> geoff@paf.co.nz-nospam writes:

> When I was living in Mexico a visiting friend made a genuine attempt at a
> restaurant to request more cheese in espanol.  Mas queso  (qwey-zoh

The parents of a friend of mine were visiting him in Japan. They were
staying at the Hilton, which in Japanese is pronounced kind of like
HERE-oo-tin. They apparently knew this, sort of, and kept trying to
tell a cab driver hi-ROOT-in. It didn't work.

I did see someone wearing a T-shirt over there that had a picture of a
sports car and said "Load Lace."

--
I'm really Mike Rivers (mri...@d-and-d.com)

Re: How to pronounce Langevin? Geoff Wood 5/2/04 5:26 PM
Mike Rivers wrote:
> In article <cbxlc.1605$s3.1...@news02.tsnz.net>
> geoff@paf.co.nz-nospam writes:
>
>> When I was living in Mexico a visiting friend made a genuine attempt
>> at a restaurant to request more cheese in espanol.  Mas queso
>> (qwey-zoh
>
> The parents of a friend of mine were visiting him in Japan. They were
> staying at the Hilton, which in Japanese is pronounced kind of like
> HERE-oo-tin. They apparently knew this, sort of, and kept trying to
> tell a cab driver hi-ROOT-in. It didn't work.
>
> I did see someone wearing a T-shirt over there that had a picture of a
> sports car and said "Load Lace."

And talking of people unable to pronounce basic words in foreign tongues, it
is "new- clear"  not "new-kew-lar"

geoff

Re: How to pronounce Langevin? Transducr 5/3/04 7:23 PM
mri...@d-and-d.com (Mike Rivers) wrote in message news:<znr1083615429k@trad>...

> In article <cbxlc.1605$s3.1...@news02.tsnz.net> geoff@paf.co.nz-nospam writes:
>
> > When I was living in Mexico a visiting friend made a genuine attempt at a
> > restaurant to request more cheese in espanol.  Mas queso  (qwey-zoh
>
> The parents of a friend of mine were visiting him in Japan. They were
> staying at the Hilton, which in Japanese is pronounced kind of like
> HERE-oo-tin. They apparently knew this, sort of, and kept trying to
> tell a cab driver hi-ROOT-in. It didn't work.
>
> I did see someone wearing a T-shirt over there that had a picture of a
> sports car and said "Load Lace."

 i SERIOUSLY want that shirt.

Re: How to pronounce Langevin? S O'Neill 5/4/04 12:51 AM

The name of the town was Never Sweat, at the headwaters of the Wind
River in western Wyoming.  It grew large enough they wanted a post
office, so they submitted it to the PG of the US.  He said you can have
your post office, but it's gonna be called DuBois (doo-bwa, the PG's own
name).  The people said no, it's gonna be Doo-boys.

Re: How to pronounce Langevin? Chris! 5/4/04 3:13 AM
> I was told that there is some story behind it. IIRC, something about a
> weird name that the people wanted to register for their town, the
> officials refused and at the last moment picked a random name, of some
> city official. People were pissed and they decided to pronounce it as
> Doo-Boys.

The lovely town of Buena Vista, Virginia, is pronounced so that the first
syllable rhymes with "you".

--
Chris White, Freelance Advertising Writer & Voice Overs*
Email: ch...@chriswhite.com   Web: www.chriswhite.com

Re: How to pronounce Langevin? neil.he...@sbcglobal.netNOSPAM 5/4/04 5:51 AM
"Chris!" <ch...@chriswhite.com> wrote in message

> > I was told that there is some story behind it. IIRC, something about a
> > weird name that the people wanted to register for their town, the
> > officials refused and at the last moment picked a random name, of some
> > city official. People were pissed and they decided to pronounce it as
> > Doo-Boys.
>
> The lovely town of Buena Vista, Virginia, is pronounced so that the first
> syllable rhymes with "you".

Buena Yousta?
--

Neil Henderson
Progressive Rock

Re: How to pronounce Langevin? Mike Rivers 5/4/04 6:25 AM

In article <11Klc.38138$NZ4.34914@lakeread05> ch...@chriswhite.com writes:

> The lovely town of Buena Vista, Virginia, is pronounced so that the first
> syllable rhymes with "you".

They pronounce Pulaski as PYEW-lasky.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers (mri...@d-and-d.com)

Re: How to pronounce Langevin? Last Samurai 5/6/04 12:54 PM
S O'Neill <nos...@nospam.org> wrote in message news:<c77i1s$q7n$1...@woodrow.ucdavis.edu>...
> Last Samurai wrote:

> > isn't that how the Dubois, Idaho pronounced as?
> >
> > I was told that there is some story behind it. IIRC, something about a
> > weird name that the people wanted to register for their town, the
> > officials refused and at the last moment picked a random name, of some
> > city official. People were pissed and they decided to pronounce it as
> > Doo-Boys.
>

> The name of the town was Never Sweat, at the headwaters of the Wind
> River in western Wyoming.  It grew large enough they wanted a post
> office, so they submitted it to the PG of the US.  He said you can have
> your post office, but it's gonna be called DuBois (doo-bwa, the PG's own
> name).  The people said no, it's gonna be Doo-boys.

Thanks! Yes, never sweat it was. I vaguely remembered the reference to
some post office. I was told about this when a couple of my colleagues
visited the town and came back with this interesting history.

Re: How to pronounce Langevin? Terry King 5/10/04 6:53 AM
> I had a friend I use to work with with that name... his pronounciation
> Lan Juh Vin

That same pronunciation is used by a woman Engineer I knew at IBM
named Kelly Langevin. But we're pretty used to French pronunciations up
here in the U.S. North Country where the nearest big city is Montreal...

--
Regards, Terry King  ...In The Woods In Vermont
te...@terryking.us

More topics »