Drive Motors

Showing 1-24 of 24 messages
Drive Motors Buck Cronk 4/9/12 11:22 AM
Anybody know of a good source for wheelchair motors?
Re: Drive Motors Pete Arundel 4/9/12 4:12 PM
Yes - but it depends on how ruthless you are . . .
Re: Drive Motors Buck Cronk 4/9/12 4:55 PM
I just picked up a couple. Thanks, though! And sorry, Grandma! Hope you find a new one soon... just kidding. What do you mean? I really would want to use wheelchair motors in a tank, as they are pretty strong... 24v might be best, but whatever has plenty of power.

Buck "The Ruthless"
Re: Drive Motors Buck Cronk 4/9/12 4:57 PM
I think I've gotten into this strange habit of assuming random nicknames just to "sign" my post...

Buck "The Guy With The Strange Habit of Assuming Random Nicknames Just to 'Sign' His Post"
Re: [TANKS] Re: Drive Motors tan...@gmail.com 4/9/12 5:22 PM
There is nothing wrong with using wheel chair motors.  The issues are that they are very heavy in most cases and geared to run very slow (like 100-150RPM).  Most of our tanks run on the rule of 4's...or something similar.

Joe's rule of 4's....

I recommend the *Rule* of *Fours*

>    4 inch DIA drive sprockets
>    400 rpm no load speed at each drive sprocket
>    400 in.lbf stall torque at each drive sprocket
>    4 mph with sufficient torque for full-skid steer

Derek

Re: [TANKS] Re: Drive Motors Buck Cronk 4/10/12 6:43 AM
so, gear them back up... they're plenty powerful. I just looked at
T081... he used ATV starter motors for his tank, and at 12v it ran too
fast. He had to run it on 6v to go slow enough... sounds like a
definite motor possibility.

On 4/9/12, Derek Engelhaupt <tan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There is nothing wrong with using wheel chair motors.  The issues are that
> they are very heavy in most cases and geared to run very slow (like
> 100-150RPM).  Most of our tanks run on the rule of 4's...or something
> similar.
>
> *Joe's rule of 4's....
> *
>
> *I recommend the *Rule* of *Fours*
> *
>
> *>    4 inch DIA drive sprockets

>>    400 rpm no load speed at each drive sprocket
>>    400 in.lbf stall torque at each drive sprocket
>>    4 mph with sufficient torque for full-skid steer *

Re: [TANKS] Re: Drive Motors Mike Mangus 4/10/12 7:31 AM
 Something I would love to do is rewind those ATV starter motors into a more friendly rpm.  It is doable ... just have to find the time.  Heh.

Mike

Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 11:17:35 -0500
Subject: Re: [TANKS] Motor swap anyone?
From: tan...@gmail.com
To: rctank...@googlegroups.com
Re: [TANKS] Motor swap anyone? Frank Pittelli 4/18/12 10:15 AM
Put a piece of tape on the axle and count how many times it goes around
in one minute.  Of course, you need to count really fast :-)
RE: [TANKS] Motor swap anyone? Norman James 4/18/12 10:21 AM
Yea, it's the really fast counting bit that has me stumped.
It does have a fairly large reduction going to the main drive wheel, so maybe that'll be slow enough to allow me to count.

By-the-by, is there anyone whose successfully used a cordless-drill trigger as an ESC? I've got a scrapped 12V drill and in my mind I can see how it might work (hooking up a cam to servo to actuate the mechanism), but if anyone has had any experience...?

Thanks!

> Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 13:15:53 -0400
> From: frank.p...@gmail.com
> To: rctank...@googlegroups.com

> Subject: Re: [TANKS] Motor swap anyone?
>
> --
> You are currently subscribed to the "R/C Tank Combat" group.
Re: [TANKS] Motor swap anyone? Mike Mangus 4/18/12 10:54 AM
A low cost model aircraft tachometer works nicely.

Mike