[2.0] Integrating Play 2.0 applications in a Maven-based build process

Showing 1-8 of 8 messages
[2.0] Integrating Play 2.0 applications in a Maven-based build process Clement Escoffier 4/1/12 9:51 AM
Hi,

I know that Play 2 is promoting SBT, but here it's not the point. We're heavily relying on Maven, and so the question was: how do we integrate Play 2 app in our current build process (Apache Maven, Jenkins, Sonatype Nexus, deployment using Puppet).
So, I've created a play2-maven-plugin to integrate play 2 app within Maven builds. It's pretty simple, and actually don't do much except wrapping play 2 calls.

It supports dependency management, compilation, test and packaging (relying on dist).

Regards,

Clement

unk...@googlegroups.com 7/27/12 2:29 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: [2.0] Integrating Play 2.0 applications in a Maven-based build process Johan Andren 7/27/12 3:33 AM
Just out of curiousity, did you feel that it was impossible to use the sbt build of play with jenkins and nexus or was it more of a political (i.e. we have decided to always use maven for every project at any cost) decision?
Re: [play-framework] [2.0] Integrating Play 2.0 applications in a Maven-based build process Clement Escoffier 7/29/12 1:48 AM
Hi,

Regards,

Clement

On 27.07.2012, at 11:29, Figroc Chen wrote:

Hi Clement,

I'm pretty new to Play! framework. Could you please make a brief example?
Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Figroc

Re: [play-framework] [2.0] Integrating Play 2.0 applications in a Maven-based build process Clement Escoffier 7/29/12 1:57 AM
Hi,

On 27.07.2012, at 12:33, johanandren wrote:

Just out of curiousity, did you feel that it was impossible to use the sbt build of play with jenkins and nexus or was it more of a political (i.e. we have decided to always use maven for every project at any cost) decision?

There are several reasons for using Maven in my case:

1) my team knew Maven, and don't really have time to learn SBT.
2) the play part is just one part of the system we developed, the rest is using Maven, so being able to build everything in one command was better/simpler/faster.
3) Using Jenkins / Nexus with SBT is possible but require quite some configuration, which was already done with Maven (deployment target, profiles, authentication, unit test / integration tests / deployment tests reports…)
4) The release process  and continuous delivery process are really important points for me. We have hard/strict release process and continuous delivery pipelines. Re-implementing them with SBT for only one part of the system was definitely too costly.

So, in my case, switching to Maven is to reduce the cost. However we still use the Play 'development' mode (hot-reload), but the 'real' build use Maven (executed by Jenkins), and it's the Maven build which is deployed on the staging / prod system. So actually, we have the best of both world).

Regards,

Clement

Re: [play-framework] [2.0] Integrating Play 2.0 applications in a Maven-based build process Figroc Chen 7/29/12 2:48 AM

Hi,

I have managed the build process using mvn tool with the plugin. But Eclipse complains constantly, saying that it fails on the compile phase and copydependecy phase. (I've posted detailed message in the plugin 1.2.0 announcement thread. I can't access that info right now. Sorry for the inconvenience.)
Could you please give some hints, checklist, or something alike? My configuration is: jdk 1.7, maven 3.0.4, play! 2.0.2, eclipse juno, play2-maven-plugin 1.2.0. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Figroc

Re: [play-framework] [2.0] Integrating Play 2.0 applications in a Maven-based build process Figroc Chen 7/29/12 8:05 PM

Hi,

The post I've mentioned previously has been deleted somehow. I'll repost the detailed error messages here. Please let me know if it's inappropriate.

Plugin execution not covered by lifecycle configuration: de.akquinet.innovation.play2:play2-maven-plugin:1.2.0:compile (execution: default-compile, phase: compile) pom.xml /net.svr.sms line 40 Maven Project Build Lifecycle Mapping Problem
Plugin execution not covered by lifecycle configuration: de.akquinet.innovation.play2:play2-maven-plugin:1.2.0:copy-dependencies (execution: default-copy-dependencies, phase: process-resources) pom.xml /net.svr.sms line 40 Maven Project Build Lifecycle Mapping Problem

From line 40 from the pom.xml is:
<plugins>
    <plugin>
      <groupId>de.akquinet.innovation.play2</groupId>
      <artifactId>play2-maven-plugin</artifactId>
      <version>1.2.0</version>
      <extensions>true</extensions>
    </plugin>
    <plugin>
      <version>2.5.1</version>
      <configuration>
        <source>1.7</source>
        <target>1.7</target>
      </configuration>
    </plugin>
</plugins>

BTW, the OS is Windows Server 2008 R2 x64, m2e version is 1.1.0.20120530-0009.

Regards,
Figroc

On Monday, April 2, 2012 12:51:01 AM UTC+8, clement escoffier wrote:
Hi,

I know that Play 2 is promoting SBT, but here it's not the point. We're heavily relying on Maven, and so the question was: how do we integrate Play 2 app in our current build process (Apache Maven, Jenkins, Sonatype Nexus, deployment using Puppet).
So, I've created a play2-maven-plugin to integrate play 2 app within Maven builds. It's pretty simple, and actually don't do much except wrapping play 2 calls.

It supports dependency management, compilation, test and packaging (relying on dist).

Regards,

Clement

Re: [play-framework] [2.0] Integrating Play 2.0 applications in a Maven-based build process Clement Escoffier 7/31/12 1:06 AM
Hi,

Did you try without the maven-compiler-plugin ? The compilation is done by play.

Regards,

Clement