We have just launched a Play 2 website

Showing 1-9 of 9 messages
We have just launched a Play 2 website Grant 11/26/12 6:43 AM
Hi all

I mentioned a while back we were re-doing our mobile site in Play 2 (scala + default templating), well we just launched...

http://m.guardian.co.uk (best on mobile devices)

Grant
Steve Chaloner 11/26/12 10:15 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: [play-framework] We have just launched a Play 2 website Guillaume Bort 11/26/12 2:18 PM
Thanks Grant; it's a really nice website!
--

Re: We have just launched a Play 2 website Eric Jain 11/26/12 6:02 PM
Re: [play-framework] We have just launched a Play 2 website soulofpeace 11/26/12 6:06 PM

--

Re: We have just launched a Play 2 website James Roper 11/26/12 9:17 PM
This is great, the site loads very fast on my android.

On Nov 26, 2012, at 9:17 PM, James Roper <jro...@gmail.com>
 wrote:

--

Re: [play-framework] Re: We have just launched a Play 2 website Grant 11/27/12 8:10 AM
Hi

Firstly thanks for all the positive feedback.

I should have mentioned our code is up on GitHub so feel free to take a look. https://github.com/guardian/frontend (also, yes, we wrote the asset hash)

The architecture is pretty simple....

The different types of things you see (such as an article or a video) are Play apps that runs on separate clusters (simple EC2 instances in auto scaling groups) and we route to these via an Nginx cluster (again EC2 autoscale group).

Scalability and speed are handled by some simple rules (not really specific to Play) ...

1. Everything is cached (behind Akamai), even live stuff (but just for a few seconds).
2. No request ever spawns more than one blocking IO request (mainly to our content API).
3. Keep Javascript and css as small as possible and do as much as possible after page load.
4. We do not expect total consistency (no complicated de-cache or launch rules).

Grant

--

Re: [play-framework] Re: We have just launched a Play 2 website Alex Jarvis 11/28/12 8:33 AM
Thanks for posting this Grant, it looks awesome!

What were the reasons for splitting the different sections of the website into different apps? Was it to scale the load independently, modularise development or a mixture of both?

Cheers,
Alex