moving phonegap to the apache software foundation

Showing 1-6 of 6 messages
moving phonegap to the apache software foundation Brian LeRoux 9/27/11 4:17 PM
Hello contributors, friends and PhoneGap hackers,

We have initialized the process to contribute PhoneGap to the Apache
Software Foundation (ASF). The process is straightforward beginning w/
a submission of a proposal to the ASF that describes the move in
detail. We've been looking at different options for a foundation
contribution since the beginning. Now is the time. PhoneGap is hugely
adopted and the IP belongs in an org aligned w/ our goals, philosophy
and the web. It will remain free software, licensed as it always has
been: Apache/BSD/MIT.

A key point of consideration w/ the move currently is the name
PhoneGap itself. As some here may know, we have had some litigious
posturing over the PhoneGap Trademark. This is, sadly, common in the
free software world. We wanted to choose something that was in the
spirit of PhoneGap, illustrated the move beyond phones, and did not
relate us to any companies producing khakis. We're thinking, Apache
DeviceReady. Kudos to Jesse for cooking that beauty up after an hour
of anguished brainstorming.

I will post the proposal to the PhoneGap wiki sometime this week. Your
early feedback is appreciated and encouraged.

Thanks,
Brian

RE: [phoneegap to the apache software foundation Matt Lacey 9/27/11 4:33 PM
I like DeviceReady but, FYI, http://www.deviceready.com/ is an android
testing service.
Matt.
Re: [phonegap-dev] moving phonegap to the apache software foundation Michael Brooks 9/27/11 11:39 PM
Well said. Thank you Brian!
Re: [phonegap-dev] moving phonegap to the apache software foundation Filip Maj 9/28/11 11:04 AM
All I've got to say is f'in rights!

--
Fil Maj
Web Software Engineer - Nitobi

Re: [phonegap-dev] moving phonegap to the apache software foundation Simon 9/28/11 11:23 AM
What are "f'in rights"? Is this equality for animals with dorsal fins like sharks, dolphins and whales? If so Fil you should take that kind of political talk to another list.

Simon Mac Donald
http://hi.im/simonmacdonald
Re: moving phonegap to the apache software foundation sintaxi 9/28/11 11:35 AM
Fantastic! This is great news for the phonegap community and a huge win for
mobile development as a whole. Apache Foundation is an excellent place for
the phonegap project to continue to grow.

-brock