DUNBOYNE, The Rt Hon 29th Baron (John Fitzwalter BUTLER 1951-2013)

Showing 1-11 of 11 messages
DUNBOYNE, The Rt Hon 29th Baron (John Fitzwalter BUTLER 1951-2013) Richard R 7/16/13 4:02 AM

From the Telegraph and Times of 16 July 2013: DUNBOYNE The Rt. Hon. the Lord Dunboyne (John Fitzwalter), peacefully on 11th July 2013, aged 61..—Much loved family man. Funeral Service at St. Denys' Church, Rotherfield on 25th July at 12 noon. Family flowers only. Donations, if desired, to MDF The Bipolar Organisation c/o Tester & Jones Funeral Services, London Road, Crowborough, East Sussex

He was s of the 28th Baron Dunboyne VRD (1917-2004) and Anne Marie d of Sir Victor Alexander Louis MALLET GCMG CVO (1893-1969, scion of the ADEANE gentry family of Barbraham and the earls of HARDWICKE). He m Diana Caroline d of Sir Michael Sanigear WILLIAMS KCMG (1911-84) and Mary Grace Lindon HARDING, and had a son and three daus (the eldest of whom predeceased him). His son succeeds him:

Richard Pierce Theobald BUTLER 30th Baron DUNBOYNE (20th Baron by patent) (b 1983). Has yet to establish his claim and appear on The Roll of the Peerage. He m 2012 Anneka Eileen (b 1984) d of (Peter) Andrew ANKETELL-JONES and Roseleen L QUIGLEY.

Re: DUNBOYNE, The Rt Hon 29th Baron (John Fitzwalter BUTLER 1951-2013) bx...@yahoo.com 7/22/13 5:40 PM
Who is the heir presumptive to this title?

Thanks.

Brooke
Re: DUNBOYNE, The Rt Hon 29th Baron (John Fitzwalter BUTLER 1951-2013) Richard R 7/23/13 12:07 AM
The new Baron is 2nd cousin once removed of his hp MICHAEL JAMES Butler (b 1944) who is married with a dau. The next heir is the latter's brother Robert Patrick BUTLER (b 1947) who is m with 2 sons, the younger of whom married in 2006 but has no issue.

This may be academic as the new Baron married last year and may produced more than one maile heir himself.
Re: DUNBOYNE, The Rt Hon 29th Baron (John Fitzwalter BUTLER 1951-2013) sarac...@googlemail.com 7/23/13 5:01 AM
Is not this title and the senior Butler branch of the Viscounts Mountgarret,both in line to the Earldom of Ormonde and Ossory(dormant since 1997)?
Re: DUNBOYNE, The Rt Hon 29th Baron (John Fitzwalter BUTLER 1951-2013) Richard R 7/23/13 8:15 AM
That's right. Debrett describes Lord Mountgarret as "the senior known heir to the Earldoms of Ormonde and Ossory". Clearly noone is rushing to claim!
Re: DUNBOYNE, The Rt Hon 29th Baron (John Fitzwalter BUTLER 1951-2013) bx...@yahoo.com 7/23/13 4:14 PM
Thanks, Richard.

I was a little confused as I know this is one title that passes in the female line and the new Baron has 2 surviving sisters.

Hopefully, the new Baron and his wife will be as lucky as the Cambridges.

Brooke
Re: DUNBOYNE, The Rt Hon 29th Baron (John Fitzwalter BUTLER 1951-2013) Richard R 7/24/13 12:18 AM
I don't believe it can pass in the female line. I think there was an unsuccessful claim long ago, but when the 25th Baron died in 1899 leaving an only daughter, the title passed to his brother.
Re: DUNBOYNE, The Rt Hon 29th Baron (John Fitzwalter BUTLER 1951-2013) bx...@yahoo.com 7/24/13 3:11 AM
Re: DUNBOYNE, The Rt Hon 29th Baron (John Fitzwalter BUTLER 1951-2013) bx...@yahoo.com 7/24/13 3:14 AM

On Wednesday, July 24, 2013 6:11:23 AM UTC-4, bx...@yahoo.com wrote:

On Wednesday, July 24, 2013 3:18:09 AM UTC-4, Richard R wrote:
I don't believe it can pass in the female line. I think there was an unsuccessful claim long ago, but when the 25th Baron died in 1899 leaving an only daughter, the title passed to his brother.

Interesting.

 Dunboyne was one of the titles on Debrett's website (at least at one time) that they said could pass in the female line.

Thanks for the clarification.

Brooke
Re: DUNBOYNE, The Rt Hon 29th Baron (John Fitzwalter BUTLER 1951-2013) bx...@yahoo.com 7/24/13 3:15 AM

On Wednesday, July 24, 2013 6:11:23 AM UTC-4, bx...@yahoo.com wrote:

On Wednesday, July 24, 2013 3:18:09 AM UTC-4, Richard R wrote:
I don't believe it can pass in the female line. I think there was an unsuccessful claim long ago, but when the 25th Baron died in 1899 leaving an only daughter, the title passed to his brother.

Re: DUNBOYNE, The Rt Hon 29th Baron (John Fitzwalter BUTLER 1951-2013) Richard R 7/24/13 6:03 AM
It's still on the website I see. Along with Dunsany and Le Poer and Massereene/Loughneagh. The last is correct as it was cr with a remainder that defaults to heirs-general. Le Poer
was allowed in the 18th century by the Irish House of Lords, who resolved the woman in question had a right to the Barony of Le Poer in fee when, in fact, no such barony ever existed, thereby creating a barony. See CP X pp565-566 for details and authorities cited.

The doctrine of abeyance/co-heirship is peculiar (I've chosen my word carefully!) to England of course and cannot be applied to peerages in any other kingdom.