OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist

Showing 21-105 of 105 messages
OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist David Anders 8/2/12 5:10 PM
Greetings All,

if you have a wishlist and/or things you wanted changed on the next generation OMAP5 community development board, now is the time to provide them!

Dave

Re: [pandaboard] OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist Robert Nelson 8/3/12 7:25 AM
Looking at the specs of the omap543x's, how about Panda like, but with
sata and an upgrade to the LSR TiWi5 module...

Of course, if the DRAM prices have fallen enough, 2GB of ram would be
nice too. ;)

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/
> > if you have a wishlist and/or things you wanted changed on the next
> > generation OMAP5 community development board, now is the time to provide
> > them!

Expansion (and LCD) headers already in place (even if it costs a
little more)

MicroSD or at least the SD more contained within the board

Instead of a switch for the boot order, a switch to select the
external wifi antenna (or another switch if the one for the boot order
is really used)

Remove the DB-9 serial port and instead put just a 10 pin header (that
will make it easier to place the debugger serial port in enclosures,
with a ribbon cable)

All of this is from a hobby perspective of course, so probably is not
in line with what you need. Anyway I was thinking on something as the
direction of the Exynos4412 Quad-core board (for $129) is heading to
(form-wise)

Lioric

On Aug 3, 9:25 am, Robert Nelson <robertcnel...@gmail.com> wrote:
Re: [pandaboard] Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist Robert Nelson 8/3/12 9:08 AM
On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 10:46 AM, Lioric <lioric...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > if you have a wishlist and/or things you wanted changed on the next
>> > generation OMAP5 community development board, now is the time to provide
>> > them!
>
> Expansion (and LCD) headers already in place (even if it costs a
> little more)
>
> MicroSD or at least the SD more contained within the board
>
> Instead of a switch for the boot order, a switch to select the
> external wifi antenna (or another switch if the one for the boot order
> is really used)
>
> Remove the DB-9 serial port and instead put just a 10 pin header (that
> will make it easier to place the debugger serial port in enclosures,
> with a ribbon cable)

Sadly this brings back memories of the all the RMA's we had on the
Classic Beagle, as users would connect an incorrect header and think
the board was bad, when in reality it was perfectly fine...

Switching to a low profile usb-serial would be a better option, and
wouldn't take up as much room...
Re: [pandaboard] Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller 8/3/12 9:11 AM
My suggestions based on PandaBoard ES Rev B1:

Am 03.08.2012 um 17:46 schrieb Lioric:

>>> if you have a wishlist and/or things you wanted changed on the next
>>> generation OMAP5 community development board, now is the time to provide
>>> them!
>
> Expansion (and LCD) headers already in place (even if it costs a
> little more)

++

> MicroSD or at least the SD more contained within the board

+/- I am indifferent

> Instead of a switch for the boot order, a switch to select the
> external wifi antenna (or another switch if the one for the boot order
> is really used)

I prefer to have both.

> Remove the DB-9 serial port and instead put just a 10 pin header (that
> will make it easier to place the debugger serial port in enclosures,
> with a ribbon cable)

Hm. The OTG-USB is also nearby and defines one edge of the enclosure.

What I would heavily suggest is to make it as flat as possible. I.e.
don't use vertically stacked 3.5mm and USB/RJ45 combination sockets.

> All of this is from a hobby perspective of course, so probably is not
> in line with what you need. Anyway I was thinking on something as the
> direction of the Exynos4412 Quad-core board (for $129) is heading to
> (form-wise)
>
> Lioric
>
> On Aug 3, 9:25 am, Robert Nelson <robertcnel...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 7:10 PM, David Anders <danders....@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Greetings All,
>>
>>> if you have a wishlist and/or things you wanted changed on the next
>>> generation OMAP5 community development board, now is the time to provide
>>> them!
>>
>> Looking at the specs of the omap543x's, how about Panda like, but with
>> sata and an upgrade to the LSR TiWi5 module...

++

>> Of course, if the DRAM prices have fallen enough, 2GB of ram would be
>> nice too. ;)

++

Re: [pandaboard] Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist adco...@gmail.com 8/7/12 10:05 AM
On Friday, August 3, 2012 10:11:12 AM UTC-6, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

> Remove the DB-9 serial port and instead put just a 10 pin header (that
> will make it easier to place the debugger serial port in enclosures,
> with a ribbon cable)

Please don't ditch the DB9 connector, unless you intend to ship a header->DB9
ribbon setup with the board to compensate.  I hate having to source extra parts
just to get a board running the first time.

What I would heavily suggest is to make it as flat as possible. I.e.
don't use vertically stacked 3.5mm and USB/RJ45 combination sockets.

I'm all for this, if it's feasible.  The boards to seem a bit "tall", with all the stacked
components.  That said, I realize that trading vertical real estate for horizontal
might not actually be a win, depending on the layout and density of the new board.

... Adam

PS: You already know my stance on RAM, but please, more, more, more.  Either
hardwire as much as you can to the board, or try to sort out a fancy expansion
option.
Re: [pandaboard] Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist Måns 8/7/12 10:15 AM
adco...@gmail.com writes:

> On Friday, August 3, 2012 10:11:12 AM UTC-6, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>>

>> > Remove the DB-9 serial port and instead put just a 10 pin header (that
>> > will make it easier to place the debugger serial port in enclosures,
>> > with a ribbon cable)
>
> Please don't ditch the DB9 connector, unless you intend to ship a
> header->DB9 ribbon setup with the board to compensate.  I hate having
> to source extra parts just to get a board running the first time.

As long as there is _some_ raw RS232 available, I don't care what
connector it has.  Just *please* no serial over USB.

--
Måns Rullgård
ma...@mansr.com

Best regards
Joaquin
Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist Christopher Friedt 8/7/12 4:55 PM
I'll echo the same things that most others are saying - SATA connector either on board or via expansion, lots of ram, please keep either raw rs232 pinouts / connector, and either a jumper or switch for boot select.

In terms of sw arch, it would be nice if the "ducati" firmware side was a little more transparent wrt the kernel interface though... kind of like what was done with the galaxy nexus and openmax... just my 2¢

The muscle in this chip is unreal compared to the omap parts from only 6 years ago ;-)
Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist haunma 8/7/12 5:32 PM
On Tuesday, August 7, 2012 4:55:58 PM UTC-7, Christopher Friedt wrote:
please keep either raw rs232 pinouts / connector, and either a jumper or switch for boot select.

I'm curious, now that at least three people chimed in for "keep the rs232":  Why?  What is it about serial over USB that's so problematic?  Many of you don't even *own* a PC with an old-fashioned serial port, and are presumably using USB<->serial cables.  Why not put that chip on the board so you don't need the special cable?  Is this a Windows vs Linux thing?

Speaking of old fashioned, does anyone know why google groups is setup to encourage top posting, complete with extra blank lines and the cursor positioned above the quoted text?  Does this mean it's now truly hopeless, and the forces of good^H^H^H^H interspersed-quote-and-reply have finally been vanquished? :)

Whew, time to go home and chase the kids off my lawn...

Re: [pandaboard] OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist Vladimir Pantelic 8/7/12 6:35 PM
- lots of memory

- SATA port

- USB3.0 OTG

- serial debug over FTDI (USB powered) real serial on header if needed
   (and micro USB, not that dreadful mini)

- boot order switch

- more LEDs on board, blinking leds have such high value to show stuff
   to people

Re: [pandaboard] Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist Måns 8/7/12 7:15 PM
haunma <hau...@keteu.org> writes:

> On Tuesday, August 7, 2012 4:55:58 PM UTC-7, Christopher Friedt wrote:
>>
>> please keep either raw rs232 pinouts / connector, and either a jumper or
>> switch for boot select.
>>

> I'm curious, now that at least three people chimed in for "keep the
> rs232":  Why?  What is it about serial over USB that's so problematic?

USB, mainly.  It is especially annoying when the entire board is powered
through this connector as is the case on the Beaglebone.  On such
boards, catching the first few things printed to the serial console is
almost impossible since you can't start the terminal emulator before
connecting the board.

Even when the "serial port" does not power the board, it is far more
prone to failure than a raw RS232 port.  When debugging early boot
problems (or any problem for that matter), a flaky console is the last
thing you want.

> Many of you don't even *own* a PC with an old-fashioned serial port, and
> are presumably using USB<->serial cables.

With a separate converter, you can buy ones that work well.  With the
converter onboard, you're stuck with whatever crap the manufacturer
decided was cheap enough to use.

The FTDI chips popular as onboard converters are extra annoying for a
number of reasons.  For example, they often have customised USB product
IDs, so stock drivers won't recognise them.  The beagleboard list
archives are full of questions from people struggling to even get the
serial port recognised by their system, be it Linux, Mac, or Windows.

For the record, I have more machines with real serial ports than
without.

--
Måns Rullgård
ma...@mansr.com
Vladimir Pantelic <vlad...@gmail.com> writes:

> - serial debug over FTDI (USB powered) real serial on header if needed

It *is* needed.

--
Måns Rullgård
ma...@mansr.com
On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 5:10 PM, David Anders <dande...@gmail.com> wrote:
Greetings All,

if you have a wishlist and/or things you wanted changed on the next generation OMAP5 community development board, now is the time to provide them!

I think the wish list needs to start with the OMAP5 differences.
Two things stand out to me... Memory and the SATA link.
So more memory and expose the SATA link please.

USB -- I see one USB3 OTG and three USB2 host links
so there should be no need for hubs.  There is a power
out concern for four devices.

Ethernet....  10/100 is fine but a pair of 10/100/1000 links would be cool.

Power.... I think that power from a micro USB is proving less  than
ideal.  Tablets and friends are driving USB wall warts with enough
power but too many users do not read the fine print and use a 0.small watt
when a +1.0 watt wart is called for (slight exaggeration) but just go for
a 5VDC input or perhaps a 12VDC automotive battery safe power option.
SATA can be powered or not... SATA could decide power input solid state
SATA devices are quick.

SDmemory... switch to microSD and save some edge space.
A removable boot device that is easy to load is a good thing.

Two developer markets.   Phone and tablet.   My preference is
for the bigger hardware that a tablet would represent.   4GB
of RAM is on the horizon so look hard at 4GB of RAM.   It might
be nice to add a logic latch so the phone developer can hard
disable external chips/devices  that clutter his goals.

Video out: HDMI is nice but the chip supports more.
Cameras in golly up to four...   I have no idea how to
expose all these on a small inexpensive card.

WiFi and Bluetooth yes please.   Better documentation
would help folk discover how to connect an antenna.

And full clock speed of 2GHz too.

--
  T o m   M i t c h e l l
RE: [pandaboard] OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist VJ 8/8/12 2:08 AM

I captured the input so far, is it as below. Please keep the top list growing and as is and have your discussions below the list.

Around 15 members gave input, would like input from all. Please give input on all aspects of Panda to help us improve.

I will segregate it into OMAP5 wish-list, wiki wishlist, community wish-list etc etc – have more categories:

-          Upgrade to LSR TiWi5 module

-          Expansion and LCD headers – even if they cost more

-          Instead of or along with switch for boot-loader have a switch to select the external wifi antenna

-          Remove DB-9 serial port and instead just put a 10-pin header (easier in enclosures with ribbon cable)

o   Switch to low profile usb-serial would be better option

o   Make it as flat as possible – don’t use vertically stacked 3.5 mm and USB/RJ45 combination sockets

o   Please don’t ditch DB9 connector – hate to source extra parts just to get the board running first time

o   Have some _raw_ RS232 available – don’t care what connector it has

-          \

-          Include camera expansion connector with support for dual camera sensor – can try some 3D image processing

-          Have the board either 100% open or fully supported, don’t give answers like “not available or license restrictions”

-          Would be nice if “ducati” was more transparent wrt kernel interface – like what galaxy nexus and openmax did

-          More LED’s – blinking LED have high value to show off!

-          Expose SATA Link

-          1 USB3 OTG and three USB2 host links – so that no need for USB hub

-          Ethernet 10/100 is fine but a pair of 10/100/1000 links desirable

-          12VDC automotive battery safe power option

-          microSD – have ability for removable boot device

-          4GB of RAM if not at least 2GB

-          logic latch so the phone developer can hard disable external chips/devices  that clutter his goals

-          full clock speed of 2GHz

-          HDMI and whatever other display the chip exposes

-          Four camera

-          Wifi and Bluetooth

-          Better documentation

-          Shorter and smaller more easily embedded

-

Concerns

-          Power out concern for four USB devices

RE: [pandaboard] OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist VJ 8/8/12 4:00 AM

Got few more additions to the list:

Desirable:

-          Upgrade to LSR TiWi5 module

-          Expansion and LCD headers – even if they cost more

-          Instead of or along with switch for boot-loader have a switch to select the external wifi antenna

-          Selectable boot options from Flash or Jumpers

o   Default USB boot instead of MMC boot

-          Remove DB-9 serial port and instead just put a 10-pin header (easier in enclosures with ribbon cable)

o   Switch to low profile usb-serial would be better option

o   Make it as flat as possible – don’t use vertically stacked 3.5 mm and USB/RJ45 combination sockets

o   Please don’t ditch DB9 connector – hate to source extra parts just to get the board running first time

o   Have some _raw_ RS232 available – don’t care what connector it has

-          Flash on Board ( 1 MB , NAND ?? )

o   Boot From flash

-          All Connectors populated  ( either expansion connector / standard connector )

o    JTAG , Camera, LCD ,USB , SATA , PCIe , HDMI , etc or provision for expansion board which has connections for remaining

-          Include camera expansion connector with support for dual camera sensor – can try some 3D image processing

-          Have the board either 100% open or fully supported, don’t give answers like “not available or license restrictions”

-          Would be nice if “ducati” was more transparent wrt kernel interface – like what galaxy nexus and openmax did

-          More LED’s – blinking LED have high value to show off!

-          Expose SATA Link

-          1 USB3 OTG and three USB2 host links – so that no need for USB hub

-          Ethernet 10/100 is fine but a pair of 10/100/1000 links desirable

-          12VDC automotive battery safe power option

-          microSD – have ability for removable boot device

-          4GB of RAM if not at least 2GB

o   scalable memory if possible

-          logic latch so the phone developer can hard disable external chips/devices  that clutter his goals

-          full clock speed of 2GHz

-          HDMI and whatever other display the chip exposes

-          Four camera

-          Wifi and Bluetooth

-          Better documentation

-          Shorter and smaller more easily embedded

-          Container Box with power supply

o   110/230 V power supply box which can house panda5 board and bring out required connections out.

o   This would reduce ESD mis-handling.

-          ARM-DS5 community edition support continued

-          BIOS Firmware support

o   Something similar to Award BIOS on PC/desktops/laptops

o   Diagnostics/Self Test on Flash instead of using validation image.

o   splash screen

o   Ability to Flash BIOS

-

Concerns

-          Power out concern for four USB devices

Re: [pandaboard] OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist Bill Fleming 8/8/12 4:39 AM
I would also like a thinner board if possible. You could do away with the combo USB/ethernet and put just the ethernet and maybe just some USB headers. The customer could use USB header adapters to put the ports where they want, or not wire them up at all. (Assuming that headers would save board space/cost)
SATA booting would good.
I would like to see some embedded display port and/or regular display port on the board. (LCDs have been available for a few months now)
Having dual monitor capabilities (or quad) out of the box would be nice too. (no changing resistors, etc)
I would like to see the other LCD interfaces kept though, even if it means resistor changing. For instance there are some MIPI WUXGA displays that are under 10 inches, should be able to plug them right into a Pandaboard. In fact I like the idea of plugging 2 or 3 into one. Could make for a good dual screen device.
I also like the option of more RAM.
With dual channel DDR3 support maybe you could even put 2 desktop RAM slots on the board. 4/8/16GB dual channel kits are cheap now. (16GB for $80 now)
Since the new OMAP5 is gunning for the existing PC/laptop space I think we should try to support a good size of RAM.
BIOS support and some kind of boot loader would be nice. I don't know if this is supported already on the Panda but there are going to be people that want to dual boot on the OMAP5, especially if they are testing Windows RT and linux.
Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist Lioric 8/8/12 9:08 AM

On Aug 8, 6:39 am, Bill Fleming <billflemin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> SATA booting would good.

> Having dual monitor capabilities (or quad) out of the box would be nice

> I also like the option of more RAM.
> With dual channel DDR3 support maybe you could even put 2 desktop RAM slots

> Since the new OMAP5 is gunning for the existing PC/laptop space I think we
> should try to support a good size of RAM.

> BIOS support and some kind of boot loader would be nice. I don't know if
> this is supported already on the Panda but there are going to be people
> that want to dual boot on the OMAP5, especially if they are testing Windows
> RT and linux.

So you basically want a small Desktop PC board?
But then why not just buy an EXISTING Pico-ITX board, way more
powerful than the Panda, x86 (and probably x86-64 now) system,
upgradeable beyond what an embedded board will currently provide, more
gpu juice, more memory

I think that for this wishlist to be of any sense, first we need to
define what is a PandaBoard intended for, and where is it going
forward

Officially the PandaBoard is:

"PandaBoard is intended to be used as a platform for mobile software
development and OMAP™ 4 processors are intended for manufacturers of
Smartphones and other mobile devices."

Actually that is not really clear on what it is for and where it is
going (what exactly is mobile software?, does it count for the
software that is inside my workstation Core I7 16GB when I travel with
it?)

So what is the PandaBoard (TI) really targeting for? big manufacturers
only, embedded developers, hackers, the next desktop PC based on ARM,
just a marketing tool for the OMAP line, hobby, or what exactly?

Unless that is clearly defined, there will be a lot of contradicting
"wishlists"

Lioric
Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist David Anders 8/8/12 11:36 AM
Lioric,

agreed, TI and PandaBoard.org have failed to clearly state the purpose of PandaBoard and how it is different from BeagleBoard......

Dave
Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist zygmunt....@linaro.org 8/8/12 11:54 AM
Speaking as the former LAVA developer I would like to see future boards lowering the barrier to full-image test automation.

I'd would be nice to have a programmable power controller integrated right on the board itself, so that automation tools could power it off and on again. That controller could be exposed over USB as a dedicated USB device or a simple serial port. It would be excellent if the code associated with that micro controller was open and user-upgradable in the field with a dedicated connector. It would be awesome if one could use the same micro controller for power measurements but that may be prohibitive with the aim of low cost. Perhaps we can put the equivalent of TI launchpad (MSP430) somewhere on each panda for that.

Booting over serial or USB should be well documented, ideally there would be a working sample on day one. This would allow tools like LAVA to automatically boot real Android and classic Linux images without adding additional devices or delays.

Default boot order should allow one to push the bootloader over USB or serial even if there is a bootable payload on the SD card or any on-board flash. Please keep the boot order configurable as on Panda ES, with the DIP switches soldered in.

If there is an dedicated 'debug' USB OTG (for serial and micro controller control) it would be awesome if had some serial number unique to each device. Imagine ~50 such devices plugged into one control machine. You want to be able to differentiate those boards reliably even be

Lastly, think about cable management. Some people put lots of those devices in racks. Please try to keep the essential cables together so that we don't need to plug something to all the sides of the board. At minimum that is power and serial (would be good over USB, standalone serial is almost as good).

Oh and please show some prototypes to the good folks at Linaro that look after LAVA (just enough to understand if we need to do something new to get them supported quickly).

Best regards
Zygmunt Krynicki
Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist zygmunt....@linaro.org 8/8/12 12:07 PM

W dniu środa, 8 sierpnia 2012 20:54:07 UTC+2 użytkownik zygmunt....@linaro.org napisał:

If there is an dedicated 'debug' USB OTG (for serial and micro controller control) it would be awesome if had some serial number unique to each device. Imagine ~50 such devices plugged into one control machine. You want to be able to differentiate those boards reliably even be

I meant to say "even before they boot"
Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist Thomas 8/8/12 1:45 PM
Just so it doesn't get lost. As mentioned on IRC.
Print some of the core HFAQ on the board/PCB.

e.g. "Doesn't boot without properly prepared SD card!"
"Don't power over USB"

Bonus points for routing some additional balls out to test points, doesn't need to be on headers as the PCB will be crammed anyway.
Re: [pandaboard] Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist rob.cob...@gmail.com 8/8/12 2:45 PM
On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 2:15:13 PM UTC+12, Måns wrote:
haunma <hau...@keteu.org> writes:

> On Tuesday, August 7, 2012 4:55:58 PM UTC-7, Christopher Friedt wrote:
>>
>> please keep either raw rs232 pinouts / connector, and either a jumper or
>> switch for boot select.
>>

> I'm curious, now that at least three people chimed in for "keep the
> rs232":  Why?  What is it about serial over USB that's so problematic?

> USB, mainly.  It is especially annoying when the entire board is powered
> through this connector as is the case on the Beaglebone.  On such
> boards, catching the first few things printed to the serial console is
> almost impossible since you can't start the terminal emulator before
> connecting the board.

My 2c worth on this is that USB-serial is fine even if it powers the board, because you can power the board up, establish the USB-serial link (to the on-board FTDI chip, or whatever) and then hit the reset switch on the board so you get to see the early output. DB9s are huge and take up too much of the board's outline, plus vertical height. I have no machines with DB9 serial any more.

Rather than adding another post to the thread, I'll put my other wishes here too: SATA please, and an imaging connector that's in some way compatible with the Leopard Imaging modules (a la BeagleBoard xM).

Cheers!

Re: [pandaboard] Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist Måns 8/8/12 2:46 PM
Thomas <dm8...@gmail.com> writes:

> Just so it doesn't get lost. As mentioned on IRC.
> Print some of the core HFAQ on the board/PCB.
>
> e.g. "Doesn't boot without properly prepared SD card!"
> "Don't power over USB"

Bonus point if powering over USB is not possible at all.

--
Måns Rullgård
ma...@mansr.com

The Raspberry-Pi has the low budget low hanging fruit covered (pun intended).
It is a marvel and very much addresses  the goals of a worthy machine placed
in the hands of students.  Thus, no obvious reason to reach for that bit
of the low end market today.

The Pandaboard is a much more serious board.   More cores, more memory,
faster clock...   enough to make me want just a bit more.    It is constrained on
memory so windowing suffers as a desktop.   It is constrained on "disk"
so SATA would be a win.   So reach up and load the PandaNext with as much
as the current price point can buy.  Knowing how functional the Pandaboard
is, an OMAP5 with enough more functionality could justify a 10-15% cost  bump.

In one of the TI papers they mention that the tablet and phone world will
be needing more memory as per TI research.    As a phone+tablet dev.
platform this could be critical as would a good display connector.

Now if TI and friends are feeling rich, please do both price points justice with an OMAP5
upgrade to both.

--
  T o m   M i t c h e l l
RE: [pandaboard] OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist VJ 8/8/12 9:59 PM

Got more input from yesterday’s posts to the thread. Tried to capture them all and categorize them.

Some members mentioned message not clear about what Panda is for and where it is going.

Agree that we need to get a clear message out and we will do it in the short future.

We want to capture all input. Some members have mobile in mind and give input in that direction.

Some others have PC like in mind and give input in that direction. We want to hear the community, capture the input.

There is always opportunity for derivative boards if enough community members are leaning towards a segment!

Vikas

Desirable:

Dimensions, connectors and Usability:

-          Thinner board – possibly do away with combo USB/ Ethernet and just keep Ethernet and some USB headers

-          Pay thought for cable management since lot of people put the boards in racks

-          All Connectors populated  ( either expansion connector / standard connector )

o    JTAG , Camera, LCD ,USB , SATA , PCIe , HDMI , etc or provision for expansion board which has connections for remaining

-          Lower barrier for full-image test automation

o   Put programmable power controller on board – this can be exposed over USB or over serial

o   Perhaps having equivalent of MSP430 on board would be good

-          Print some HFAQ on board/PCB – i.e. “Don’t power USB”, “Doesn’t boot without properly prepared SD card”

-          Have the board either 100% open or fully supported, don’t give answers like “not available or license restrictions”

-          Better documentation

-          Shorter and smaller more easily embedded

-          Imaging connector that’s in some way compatible with the Leopard imaging modules

-          More LED’s – blinking LED have high value to show off!

-          logic latch so the phone developer can hard disable external chips/devices  that clutter his goals

-          full clock speed of 2GHz

-          ARM-DS5 community edition support continued

Display:

-          Embedded display port/

o   Have dual or quad monitor capability out of the box

o   Keep LCD interface even if resister changing

-          Expansion and LCD headers – even if they cost more

-          HDMI and whatever other display the chip exposes

Memory

-          Dual channel DDR3 support

o   Possibly put 2 desktop RAM slots on board

-          Flash on Board ( 1 MB , NAND ?? )

o   Boot From flash

-          Expose SATA Link

-          4GB of RAM if not at least 2GB

o   scalable memory if possible

Connectivity

-          Upgrade to LSR TiWi5 module

-          Wifi and Bluetooth

-          1 USB3 OTG and three USB2 host links – so that no need for USB hub

-          Ethernet 10/100 is fine but a pair of 10/100/1000 links desirable

Booting, debugging

[...]

Power

-          12VDC automotive battery safe power option

-          Container Box with power supply

o   110/230 V power supply box which can house panda5 board and bring out required connections out.

o   This would reduce ESD mis-handling.

Camera

-          Include camera expansion connector with support for dual camera sensor – can try some 3D image processing

-          Would be nice if “ducati” was more transparent wrt kernel interface – like what galaxy nexus and openmax did

-          Four camera

Concerns

-          Power out concern for four USB devices

RE: [pandaboard] OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist mr_sven 8/8/12 10:29 PM
Hi,
I would like to have a Place to add a RTC backup battery like on BeagleBoard. In case of a standalone unit it is very helpful.

Regards Sven

Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist Alison Chaiken 8/8/12 11:05 PM
I love all the ideas everybody has, and agree with most of them of
them, especially making the "why doesn't my Panda boot when I plug in
my UltraLaser mouse?" FAQ go away, plus the support for SATA and
somehow making console easier.    Don't forget though, that all these
changes make the board larger and more expensive.     What I'd like to
see is some of the features that are planned offered as daughter cards
as with the Beagle, for example accelerometer, GPS and CAN bus
adapter.   I'm not sure if the expansion connectors and interface of
the board could somehow be redesigned to make it more attractive for
companies to offer them or if the Panda ecosystem is simply too small
to be attractive to manufacturers.    Would it be possible to make
Panda's expansion connections compatible with the Beagle XM in the way
that chipKIT products accept Arduino accessories?

--
Alison Chaiken
(650) 279-5600  (cell)                       {she-devel.com,

* Adding any need for cooling devices. Def. the top reason I bought my Panda was that its totally silent yet offers me a decent amount of processing power - this feature needs to stay to retain my interest.

* Making the board any bigger than it already is. I'd like the next revision to retain the layout of the Panda /ES as much as poss but I agree about the high rise ports / UART should be optional.

* Making it expensive. There are people on here asking for 4GB RAM etc. I won't be buying the next Panda if it costs me 2x or 3x what this model has

That my short list of top things to avoid but another has come to me that really nagged me when I first got my board

* The test suite should be able to show its test results over DVI/HDMI if your DVI/HDMI port is functional - if you see no results over DVI well you know that parts knackered (if you have tested the cable and screen already) - you'd be able to confirm the video hardware is broken via UART if you have a cable + second machine.
Re: [pandaboard] OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist Emmanuel Deloget 8/10/12 7:09 AM

Some ideas and counter-ideas.

Le jeudi 9 août 2012 06:59:26 UTC+2, VJ a écrit :

-          Have the board either 100% open or fully supported, don’t give answers like “not available or license restrictions”

The most important here is "fully supported". Even if some IP vendors do not want to open their code, TI must make sure that every bit of functionnality is supported by the shipped blobs. For instance, it's not possible (or excessively difficult) to have OpenGL ES and HD video decoding without X on the current Panda (this should not be a prerequisite).

-          Flash on Board ( 1 MB , NAND ?? )

o   Boot From flash

In my personnal experience, I believe this is a bad idea. Boot from flash means that you'll have to put extra effort to design something that will not be brickable - having to buy another PB because the flash is corrupted is harsh, and most people here will not buy a JTAG (even if there are some inexpensive ones).

I understand that some people will think that booting from flash is a good thing, but for a development board like the Panda, I think one shall make sure that the board will always boot (and this is not something you can achieve with flash).

-          Ethernet 10/100 is fine but a pair of 10/100/1000 links desirable

There is no need to transform the PB into an ethernet router (not to mention that 2 links means that the board should integrate a switch) but a Gbe link would definitely be a good thing (and even better if it's not a USB-based PHY).

-          Remove DB-9 serial port and instead just put a 10-pin header (easier in enclosures with ribbon cable)

o   Switch to low profile usb-serial would be better option

o   Make it as flat as possible – don’t use vertically stacked 3.5 mm and USB/RJ45 combination sockets

o   Please don’t ditch DB9 connector – hate to source extra parts just to get the board running first time

o   Have some _raw_ RS232 available – don’t care what connector it has

I'm all in favor of keeping the DB9. Any other option is very likely to become a PITA (not to mention that we already have the cables :))

-          BIOS Firmware support

o   Something similar to Award BIOS on PC/desktops/laptops

o   Diagnostics/Self Test on Flash instead of using validation image.

o   splash screen

o   Ability to Flash BIOS

... and to brick the box.

I'm not sure that a BIOS would add any value to the box. It's not a PC, and the current bootloader perform well. Similar functionnality can be achieved using a 2 stage bootloader (the first one performs the CPU init, the second one offers a few higher leve functionalities).

That would require nvram or something like a serial eeprom (i2c).  And that would be a good thing IMHO.

But the most important thing are :

* keep the hardware simple and inexpensive. If you can lower the price, do it.
* support your product - far beyond scenarios that you envisionned. If you cannot provide the source, provide blobs that are not tied to a particular scenarios (or multiple blobs, for different scenarios). There are hackers here and there that really want to do things you didn't think of. And remember that Ubuntu is NOT an embedded platform.

best regards,

-- Emmanuel

Re: [pandaboard] Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist Tom Mitchell 8/10/12 11:20 AM

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 11:43 PM, Dan MacDonald <all...@gmail.com> wrote:
The next Pandaboard should basically be as powerful as TI can make it whilst avoiding:

Good list....

Of critical importance to me is eliminating the risk of becoming a BRICK
so +1 on Dan's comments.

Those that want a BIOS can develop and build one then install it on the SD card.
A BIOS is just a bootstrap tool one of MANY.    For students of computer
science this low level stuff is is important to learn.    Lack of a fixed BIOS also permits
the development of true embedded systems.     Thin would be nice but for a development
board constrains what can be brought out.   I have no problem with the height and
know that should I want to build a "thin product" stuffing options would get me
to a product as would a slightly different lay out.   But without the development
platform the task at hand gets more difficult.   So this is a good thing.

Re: [pandaboard] Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist David Anders 8/10/12 11:31 AM
just FYI on the "brick" comment. the OMAP3/4/5 all have an on board ROM that basically prevents the system from being "bricked". you can always boot from uart, usb, or sd card. other boot options that are being discussed such as boot from eMMC, and SATA are possible with OMAP5....

Dave
Re: [pandaboard] Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist Tom Mitchell 8/10/12 5:09 PM
On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 11:31 AM, David Anders <dande...@gmail.com> wrote:

> just FYI on the "brick" comment. the OMAP3/4/5 all have an on board ROM that basically prevents the system from being "bricked". you can always boot from uart, usb, or sd card. other boot options that are being discussed such as boot from eMMC, and SATA are possible with OMAP5....
>
> Dave

Thank you.
    Good to know the value of the
    various I/O options.  Time for me to dig deeper
    into the documentation.
Re: [pandaboard] OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist rob 8/11/12 7:47 AM
On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 9:09 AM, Emmanuel Deloget <log...@free.fr> wrote:

>> -          Have the board either 100% open or fully supported, don’t give
>> answers like “not available or license restrictions”
>

> The most important here is "fully supported". Even if some IP vendors do not
> want to open their code, TI must make sure that every bit of functionnality
> is supported by the shipped blobs. For instance, it's not possible (or
> excessively difficult) to have OpenGL ES and HD video decoding without X on
> the current Panda (this should not be a prerequisite).

It is certainly a challenge to support every possible permutation of
windowing system, application that could use hw video encode/decode,
etc.  We'd like to be able to support non-X11 environments as well,
but well.. some limitation about # of hours in a day and we need to
sleep for at least a couple of them :-P

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I *think* we have the most comprehensive
gpu and video encode/decode support for linux, compared to any of the
other community ARM boards.  I think snowball and some of the others
may include x11+gles but I don't think they have hw video decode.  We
do try to support as much as possible.

And this should improve once we are ready to push wayland/weston
support (which we are getting closer to).. weston is using gles
without x11, using a combination of kms/gbm and some egl extensions to
go between egl-images and buffer objects that you can pass to
drmModePageFlip(), etc.  An application that wished to bypass X11
could do the same.  It is a bit more complex than nullws, but this is
out of necessity as it is a lot more powerful (can deal with hotplug,
multiple displays, using hw overlays to bypass GPU when appropriate,
etc).

Obviously it would be much easier for us if we could just give out the
src code for the gles stuff.. if someone wanted something that we
didn't have time to implement ourselves, well they could always send a
patch.  Sadly this is not an option.  If it was, we would have done it
a long time ago.

BR,
-R
Re: [pandaboard] Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist omap7777 8/12/12 8:19 AM
Yes, I agree the $129 of Exynos-4412 ARM Quad-core board has a good direction.
Every developers will love the small form factor, rich (optional/official) interfaces, computing power as well as superior low cost.

2012/8/4 Lioric <lioric...@gmail.com>
> > if you have a wishlist and/or things you wanted changed on the next
> > generation OMAP5 community development board, now is the time to provide
> > them!

Expansion (and LCD) headers already in place (even if it costs a
little more)

MicroSD or at least the SD more contained within the board

Instead of a switch for the boot order, a switch to select the
external wifi antenna (or another switch if the one for the boot order
is really used)

Remove the DB-9 serial port and instead put just a 10 pin header (that
will make it easier to place the debugger serial port in enclosures,
with a ribbon cable)

All of this is from a hobby perspective of course, so probably is not
in line with what you need. Anyway I was thinking on something as the
direction of the Exynos4412 Quad-core board (for $129) is heading to
(form-wise)

Lioric

On Aug 3, 9:25 am, Robert Nelson <robertcnel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 7:10 PM, David Anders <danders....@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Greetings All,
>
> > if you have a wishlist and/or things you wanted changed on the next
> > generation OMAP5 community development board, now is the time to provide
> > them!
>
> Looking at the specs of the omap543x's, how about Panda like, but with
> sata and an upgrade to the LSR TiWi5 module...
>
> Of course, if the DRAM prices have fallen enough, 2GB of ram would be
> nice too. ;)
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Robert Nelsonhttp://www.rcn-ee.com/

Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist rahul 8/15/12 12:39 PM
I have two requests, and both are on the software side:

1. Pandaboard provided good Ubuntu support and it would be great to see that continue. Too many other dev boards are focused on Android only.
2. If possible, provide OpenCL drivers for the GPU.

thanks,
rahul

On Thursday, August 2, 2012 8:10:34 PM UTC-4, David Anders wrote:
Greetings All,

if you have a wishlist and/or things you wanted changed on the next generation OMAP5 community development board, now is the time to provide them!

Dave

Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist TheSmileMan 8/15/12 7:03 PM
OpenCL drivers at launch are a must. Getting the drivers for the current board has taken so long. We need to actually be able to access the hardware from the start with solid tools (or even beta tools).

Jim

On Thursday, August 2, 2012 7:10:34 PM UTC-5, David Anders wrote:
Greetings All,

if you have a wishlist and/or things you wanted changed on the next generation OMAP5 community development board, now is the time to provide them!

Dave

Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist Weston Weems 8/20/12 1:21 PM
My wishlist items would be in a perfect world

1) usb 3.0
2) nfc functionality would be nice, but by no means a deal breaker.

Weston
Re: [pandaboard] OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist Weston Weems 8/21/12 3:05 PM
I"ll second this.
Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist stu....@gmail.com 8/25/12 8:23 AM
The OMAP4 is generally very cool, but it was the _nominal_ OpenCL support that really attracted me to it, and the lack of _actual_ OpenCL support that has delayed my developing on it.

My summary:

- start with the existing PandaBoard

- as part of replacing the OMAP4 with the OMAP5, _expose_ everything the latter can do (but not necessarily w/full hardware on the main board, daughterboards & headers are fine)

- SATA, SD and _all_ the USB ports (inter alia) should be connectorized, _not_ headers

- SATA, SD and USB boot all should be supported

- I would rather _not_ have flash on the main board (MicroSD is perfect)

- do not skimp on RAM (2GB is an absolute minimum and more is better)

I agree that drivers for each hardware subsystem must be fully open source and/or fully supported.

To facilitate moving beyond hobby scale development, provisions should be made for production volumes (obviously at non-subsidized prices).

All just IMHO, of course.
Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist jobe...@gmail.com 8/25/12 2:33 PM
+1 for 4.3'' LCD touchscreen already in place.

Le vendredi 3 août 2012 02:10:34 UTC+2, David Anders a écrit :
Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist Josef R. 8/26/12 1:29 AM
Hi,

what I would like to see is the use of the OMAP5432. Why? It supports true Dual-Cannel DDR3, which is much faster than the low power DDR2 RAM used in most high-end mobile devices today.

Another very important thing is the PowerVR Driver. An annoying fact for the PandaBoard and the BeagleBoard is the lack of an open source Driver for hardware accelerated 3D graphics. I know that TI can only ask Imagination Technologies because they licensed the SGX544 to them but it would be really nice to see an open source driver. At least binary drivers usable in custom built Linux versions and hardfp support are necessary.

Regards,
Josef

Am Freitag, 3. August 2012 02:10:34 UTC+2 schrieb David Anders:
Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist David Anders 8/26/12 8:28 PM
with the exception of the SGX GPU, every piece of the OMAP4 has driver support and is open source and fully supported.....

Dave
Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist Emmanuel Deloget 8/29/12 5:08 AM
This will raise the price of the board and is unnecessary for many applications. I, for example, don't want that touchscreen. Farnell lists a capacitive touchscreen at 17,19 € (q >= 500) si I guess adding one of these to the PB will add at least 25-30$ to the price (if not more).
Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist bill.f...@teamfdi.com 8/30/12 7:39 AM
I'm personally interested in running one of these 8.9" 1920x1200 displays from the OMAP5 dev board.
It uses a MIPI interface. You should be able to run 2 or 3 from one OMAP5.
If all of the MIPI interfaces are brought out to headers it should be simple to build a hardware adapter board.
I am worried though about the software/drivers. If driver support is non-existent like it seemed to be on the Panda it could be really difficult to get them to run.

On Thursday, August 2, 2012 7:10:34 PM UTC-5, David Anders wrote:
Greetings All,

if you have a wishlist and/or things you wanted changed on the next generation OMAP5 community development board, now is the time to provide them!

Dave

Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist mcmo...@gmail.com 8/30/12 9:58 AM
One feature I would like to see:

- Release it soon!
Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist David Anders 8/31/12 8:10 AM
just some clarifications:

1) MIPI is an organization which has a wide range of standards. the LCD panel you linked to is a MIPI DSI panel.
2) OMAP MIPI DSI support has been in the mainline kernel since before the release of the PandaBoard.
3) the PandaBoard-ES has a fully support 4 data lane MIPI DSI expansion header on the bottom of the board.

Dave
Re: [pandaboard] OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist Austin Schuh 8/31/12 3:49 PM
The two features that I'd really like to see are an ethernet link that doesn't use a USB based PHY, and SATA.

SATA is one of the features that has me most excited about the new OMAP5.  I forsee owning a couple boards if it supports SATA.

Austin Schuh
Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist UrQuan3 9/18/12 3:02 PM
I am rather new to the non-PC arena and picked up a Pandaboard as a learning platform. As such, don't give my comments too much weight.  I've seconded several other people's comments though.

-I would love access to the SATA port.  Booting from it would be even better.  SD is *so* slow.

-A way to choose the boot device.  The existance of that switch is the main reason I bought the ES instead of the standard Pandaboard.  SD+USB+SATA would be best.

-Keep the serial port or sell an adapter for the pin headers.  I spent a weekend digging through the ubuntu-omap4-extras listings on this page.  the existance of a real serial port instead of USB emulation was critical for some of their debugging.  Messing with USB translators is annoying enough on the PC-host side.

-A set of built in connectors so that the board can be up and running using common parts.  For example, the current Pandaboard has HDMI, USB, SD, and ethernet already soldered on instead of needing headers.  All the average user needs is the board and a power supply.

-Expose most or all of the capabilities that don't make the cut as pin headders or holes.  I'm a fan of expansion boards.

-Is it actually possible to have all of those CPUs exposed?  2 high-end CPUs, 2 low-power CPUs, the SGX, and a C64x DSP.  There's all kinds of crazy things we could do with that.

-OpenCL support?  Heck, current desktop support isn't all that good.  I wonder if the new OpenGL standard would be better?  As an off-topic side note, I now believe that the only thing that prevents the OMAP CPU and the GPU from writting to the same RAM location is a boot arguement.  Could be a facinating research point since we don't have to move data across the PCIe bus on this platform.  However, OS support for that could be....interesting.

Brian
Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist radio...@gmail.com 9/19/12 6:50 AM
There is no doubt that 4 GB is a minimum for 2012 electronics. Luckily, OMAP 5 could address up to 8GB !
So, I expect at least 50% of that volume - 4GB - to be present in the next Pandaboard system.

Sure, if you are doing some light stuff - such as web browsing - you wouldn't notice the difference between 1GB and 4GB.
Same story if you are developing some simple applications or casual games for outdated Android mobile phone.

But if you are busy with a heavy, serious development, this extra memory will be, definitely, quite useful.
At least, it could be used for storing a cache, which would result in a great I/O speedup !

SATA would be great as well. Let's be realists: memory card is a bottleneck for such a fast CPU.
And, with SATA, we could use a fast SSD drive so it make our Pandaboards fly.
I am not asking about SATA III - even SATA I would be nice, compared to memory card!

Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist philip.da...@googlemail.com 9/24/12 9:47 AM
I would agree with a lot of the comments here. My specific interests would be in:
- SATA interface
- Connectors for Camera, and other expansion.
- more RAM if is doesn't add significantly to the price
- DDR3 if it doesn't add significantly to the price
- keep the RS232 connectorr
- microSD to save space
- same board size if possible
- 1000M Ethernet

Multiple (eg two) build options if all requests can't be accommodated for the current price

As this is an OMAP5 dev board, then it need to expose the additional features of the OMAP5 (compared to the OMAP4)

Phil
Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist philip.da...@googlemail.com 9/25/12 5:46 AM
Do you have an indication of the likely timescale for this board?

Thanks,

Phil

Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist plug...@p10link.net 10/19/12 2:05 PM

On Friday, 3 August 2012 01:10:34 UTC+1, David Anders wrote:
if you have a wishlist and/or things you wanted changed on the next generation OMAP5 community development board, now is the time to provide them!
Looking at this from the perspective of a debian developer and maintainer of a debian deriviative.

The single biggest thing to me is ram. Debian is designed to be built natively and 1GB isn't really enough to build some big packages. 2GB would be the minimum for me to be interested, more would be better.
Next up is native sata, not so much for the performance but because USB has been unstable sometimes.
Next up is native ethernet for much the same reason as SATA.
It's not strictly a feature of the board itself but next up for me would be getting support upstreamed for at least the basic hardware and prefferablly for all hardware

Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist mario...@gmail.com 11/2/12 10:03 AM
My qishlist for the next panda is simple just add micro PCI support
this way the users can equp it with wathever thy want
sata; sata; radio; rtc clock ...;
not just one 2 or 3 at the sides of the bord (the user needs to create a mounting board to fix the extra cards

thx
Mario

Am Freitag, 3. August 2012 02:10:34 UTC+2 schrieb David Anders:
Greetings All,

if you have a wishlist and/or things you wanted changed on the next generation OMAP5 community development board, now is the time to provide them!

Dave

Re: [pandaboard] Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist Andy Tai 11/2/12 9:52 PM
This may be a dump question, but ARM hardware cannot offer support for PC style RAM slots?  Would that allow use of inexpensive RAM chips?  For development hardware, or server, is this possible?
--
Andy Tai, at...@atai.org, Skype: licheng.tai
Year 2012 民國101年
On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 9:51 PM, Andy Tai <at...@atai.org> wrote:
This may be a dump question, but ARM hardware cannot offer support for PC style RAM slots?  Would that allow use of inexpensive RAM chips?  For development hardware, or server, is this possible?

Not a dumb question, There isn't anything particularly difficult about adding a JEDEC compliant memory bus to the chip, just that demand has been non-existent. I expect that to change with AMD's Opteron ARM chips which are designed to be used in Servers (rather than embedded devices) so its a design feature that you can have 1, 2 or even 256 GB of RAM on them.

--Chuck

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 10:03 AM, <mario...@gmail.com> wrote:
My qishlist for the next panda is simple just add micro PCI support
this way the users can equp it with wathever thy want
sata; sata; radio; rtc clock ...;
not just one 2 or 3 at the sides of the bord (the user needs to create a mounting board to fix the extra cards

thx
Mario

Am Freitag, 3. August 2012 02:10:34 UTC+2 schrieb David Anders:
Greetings All,

if you have a wishlist and/or things you wanted changed on the next generation OMAP5 community development board, now is the time to provide them!

Dave

--
Andy Tai, at...@atai.org, Skype: licheng.tai
Year 2012 民國101年
自動的精神力是信仰與覺悟
自動的行為力是勞動與技能

Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist Dawid Ciężarkiewicz 11/3/12 7:08 PM
Any information on when such a nice omap5 board would be available?

Regards,
Dawid
Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist casso 11/5/12 7:56 PM
Please note that my preferences below relate to building software natively on the board. Remember that people do actually use the PandaBoard directly for building code, so this is not unusual.
 - At least 2GB of RAM. 4GB would be ideal. Since everyone else seems to be adding that one in, it should be enough said.
 - Keep the boot switch. My original PandaBoard is a pain for the MMC boot option only.
 - eSATA support. This would entail SATA support at the PHY/SoC level, not USB. If you're going to run SATA, might as well make it eSATA.
 - Gigabit Ethernet support at the PHY/SoC level, not USB.

Unfortunately the PandaBoard is missing eSATA and GbE. The CuBox however has support for these and is a great little device, but unfortunately is not as powerful processor wise. I do understand that they are for different target markets.

eSATA/SATA support is useful for compiler cache (ccache). For a developer it is a frequently used feature. Gigabit Ethernet support is useful for distributed C compilation (distcc) which is another frequently used developer tool for compilation speed-up.

It would also be nice to have 802.1q support as the SMSC95xx chips do. Think testing of KVM/Xen and network separation.

In regards to connectors occupying too much space, connectors don't have to all be connected on the board permanently. It may be an option to have an expansion board shipped with the board that includes 2 USB host ports, Ethernet port and DB9 connector. The expansion board is electrical interface only and can be removed post development to reduce space, but makes all the functionality available.

Whatever happens, remember that the PandaBaord is used for a lot more than mobile development. While there should be a target market for this board, it would be wise to make as much functionality as possible available. You've got the Arndale board to compete with too.
Re: [pandaboard] Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist Ming Lei 11/9/12 5:32 AM
Hi,

Samsung A15 based Arndale board is coming now, see below:

         http://www.arndaleboard.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Maybe OMAP5 Community Board can refer to Arndale's spec.

Hope it may be released soon, :-)

Ming Lei
Re: [pandaboard] Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist spych102 11/12/12 3:47 AM
I just noticed that the Arndale has a mechanical power switch and the Origen has this too. Very useful.
Re: [pandaboard] Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist Joaquin Castellanos 11/12/12 10:33 AM

Here some (industrial)
system-on-module (SoM) based on omap5 that will be available soon.

http://www.embedded.rs/products/ti-omap5430-pico-itx-sbc

http://www.variscite.com/products/item/96-var-som-om54-omap5432
http://www.phytec.com/products/som/phycore/omap5.html

Best Regards
Joaquin

Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist omap7777 11/30/12 6:12 PM
Even $69 Quad-core dev board...??
http://www.cnx-software.com/2012/11/30/69-odroid-u-89-odroid-u2-exynos-4412-development-boards/

On Friday, August 3, 2012 9:10:34 AM UTC+9, David Anders wrote:
Greetings All,

if you have a wishlist and/or things you wanted changed on the next generation OMAP5 community development board, now is the time to provide them!

Dave

Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist mitzals 3/5/13 11:28 AM
Some of your wishes may have come true. I have stumbled upon an unidentifiable dev pandaboard recently used by QNX - pause this video from youtube, after changing the resolution to max. What do you think?
Re: [pandaboard] Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist ndec 3/5/13 11:06 PM
On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 8:28 PM, mitzals <pe...@student.chalmers.se> wrote:
> Some of your wishes may have come true. I have stumbled upon an
> unidentifiable dev pandaboard recently used by QNX - pause this video from
> youtube, after changing the resolution to max. What do you think?

oh oh... that sounds familiar to me ;-)
Re: [pandaboard] Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist casso 3/6/13 4:25 PM
That board looks similar to the Arndale board. The reasons why I think it is taken from the Arndale reference are the two USB OTG ports, the SATA port and the camera interface (bottom of picture). I don't know so much about the audio interfaces so I could be wrong. Either that USB header on the right is for USB3.0, or something is weird with their setup. Why else would you connect a USB to Ethernet adapter, yet have Ethernet support via a header on the left side?
Re: [pandaboard] Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist plug...@p10link.net 3/7/13 8:33 AM

On Thursday, March 7, 2013 12:25:34 AM UTC, casso wrote:
That board looks similar to the Arndale board.
The board in the video clearly had a pandaboard logo on to me. It seems highly unlikely that Ti would make a board with a competitors chip on it.

The reasons why I think it is taken from the Arndale reference are the two USB OTG ports, the SATA port and the camera interface (bottom of picture).
Two mini/micro USB ports is hardly unusual, with serial ports becoming less common it's quite common to have a dedicated USB device port connected to a USB to serial chip for debugging and a second for an OTG connection to the main processor.

I don't know so much about the audio interfaces so I could be wrong. Either that USB header on the right is for USB3.0, or something is weird with their setup. Why else would you connect a USB to Ethernet adapter, yet have Ethernet support via a header on the left side?
My guess would be that the onboard ethernet isn't working properly in their configuration.

Re: [pandaboard] Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist casso 3/7/13 5:03 PM
 That answers that one then. Modified PandaBoard design with USB to serial and SATA onboard. I did notice the logo, but couldn't make it out because it was upside down. Now that you mentioned PandaBoard it does look familiar.
Re: [pandaboard] Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist casso 3/7/13 5:12 PM

Just watched whole clip (yes I deserve flaming for that). It's a stock PandaBoard earlier on in the clip for sure. What they end up using after around 2 minutes into this clip doesn't look stock, but you may certainly be right on it having the PandaBoard logo.
Re: [pandaboard] Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist David Anders 3/11/13 2:51 PM
yes it is an OMAP5432 based board....
Re: [pandaboard] Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist Tom Mitchell 3/11/13 4:32 PM
> yes it is an OMAP5432 based board....
That is cool.
So far the only omap5 boards I have found are a bit expensive but time will tell
if this is the follow up to the panda or someone else's special purpose product.

I am very happy with the pandaboard even with the annoyance that the
graphics drivers
are not open and in the main flow.   Folk at Ti have been making progress but
it would be cleaner if they were not on an add on distribution.

To be fair the ARM universe is a minor tangle.  With all the freedom
that ARM gives we have seen the
development of a number of binary compatible designs and issues.

My mental clock tells me that the contractors at Ti working on the
OMAP5  follow up to
the panda are about to pull the curtain back from their project.  ;-)

The complexity of these modern systems on a chip has my brain hurting.

  T o m   M i t c h e l l
Re: [pandaboard] Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist David Anders 3/12/13 9:04 PM
uh no...
Re: [pandaboard] Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist David Anders 3/21/13 7:34 AM
what would have been the omap5 based pandaboard  is now available from svtronics by invitation only:

https://www.svtronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=33
Re: [pandaboard] Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist Jnaneshwar 5/8/13 7:09 PM
Hi,

       I am Jnaneshwar from Bangalore, India.  I am new to this community.     I am specialist  in embedded system.   I would like to involve in software  development for omap5 based board and also I would like to open distribution centre in India.   Kindly share evaluation board for software development purpose  and process to become distributor for omap5 board.   Please share some more references.

Thanks and regards
Jnaneshwar B.T.
Re: [pandaboard] Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist ndec 5/10/13 2:07 AM

Le 9 mai 2013 19:53, "Jnaneshwar" <jnane...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hi,
>
>        I am Jnaneshwar from Bangalore, India.  I am new to this community.     I am specialist  in embedded system.   I would like to involve in software  development for omap5 based board and also I would like to open distribution centre in India.   Kindly share evaluation board for software development purpose  and process to become distributor for omap5 board.   Please share some more references.

Hmmm.. i am afraid it might be a little too late!

Re: [pandaboard] Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist ndec 5/10/13 3:41 AM

No private msg, please. Cc  pandaboard group.

Le 10 mai 2013 11:18, "Jnaneshwar T" <jnane...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> Thank you for response.     Any suggestions to proceed further?  I am bit serious about it.  I would like to buy the hardware board.  How can I get it?

OMAP5 panda was cancelled. You should check out the 5432 EVM from svtronics which has lots in common with the never released panda5. However please note that this board is not a pandaboard.org board.

See https://www.svtronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=33

Re: [pandaboard] Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist Jnaneshwar T 5/10/13 11:17 AM
Ok.   To begin I  can  start for my development activities on this board.

How can I  become distributor for the pandaboard &  all upcoming new boards ?   Do I need to become member for the same?     I am aware that it is bit too late.  Can I have hope for the same for all upcoming new boards?  If so,  can you please elaborate procedure to become h/w distributor. Please brief about the business strategy / partnership for the same.

Re: [pandaboard] Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist Tom Mitchell 5/10/13 9:08 PM
Since TI canceled their project there is no procedure.
There are no upcoming new boards known to the public
and there are no rumors hinting at future products.

To the best of my knowledge these people (svtronics) now have rights to make
and distribute what might have been the next gen pandaboard board.
It would have had its own name and own community.   The hardware
is just different enough that this group would likely find it a distraction.

See https://www.svtronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=33

Contact them and if you can build your product on top of it work with svtronics.
If you wish to modify the design or craft your own design you will have to start
talks with TI as well as the other chip vendors the board depends on.

For those of us that like to tinker there other options to look at.
One is to buy a $250 chromebook and load it with code of your own
invention.   The chromebox is another hacking target.  There are
a lot of low cost tablets out there many are very friendly to hacking.

So talk to svtronics
Re: [pandaboard] Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist Bill 5/12/13 5:19 AM
What makes the SVTronics hardware a distraction? It seems to have about every feature that we asked for within reason.
The only things really different are that it has a microSD slot and a USB-TTL instead of a big bulky DB9. (and no Pandaboard logo)

The only negative thing I can see is the $330 price of the board. (being 10 layers has something to do with that I'm sure)
If you look at the spec document they seem to include the full schematics, and you can also get a copy of the BOM and gerbers apparently.
So if you really want to develop on the OMAP5 and don't want to purchase something like a SOMDIMM style pin-limited module, this is what you should buy.

However Samsung's Arndale board is $80 cheaper and it has better expansion options.

Bill
Re: [pandaboard] Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist David Anders 5/23/13 4:52 PM
Bill,

the omap5432 uEVM is for all practical purposes the PandaBoard5 minus the logo as you point out.

the key difference is that TI no longer subsidizes the cost of the OMAP processor, for the OMAP5432 uEVM you are paying full price.....

that is where the cost difference comes from....

Dave
Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist Parvese Muhammed 6/13/13 8:02 AM

I thought this may be useful for individual developers who are looking for some discount for OMAP5432 EVM. Please use coupon code " 30OFF5432 " for getting $30 off on OMAP5432EVM when you purchase the boards from www.svtronics.com. you need to create a login to use this coupon

Re: OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist mult...@gmail.com 5/19/14 2:52 AM
I must say, this OMAP5432 EVM is labeled as "Pandaboard5" in the official documentation. So yes, that seems to be the latest official Pandaboard available
More topics »