How can we encourage the creation of strong learning objectives?

Showing 1-36 of 36 messages
How can we encourage the creation of strong learning objectives? Pippa B 11/22/10 11:00 AM
I've been thinking a lot about the next intake of course ideas and have
been pondering course learning objectives.  It's something that I wish
I'd done better with my last course and something I'd like to learn more
about in general.

For people who are close within this community we're aware that learning
outcomes exist, even if we're not experts at clarifying and writing them
up ourselves. I'm just wondering how we can make this really important
step of course organisation and design a little bit easier for organisers?

Can anyone recommend some good accessible resources explaining learning
outcomes and outcome based learning that we can direct course organisers
to?

Re: [p2pu-community] How can we encourage the creation of strong learning objectives? Ahrash Bissell 11/22/10 11:39 AM
You might take a look at the resources from the Center for Teaching at Vanderbilt. In particular, this site (referenced within) has a step-by-step tutorial that does a good job of helping people through the (backwards) design process.

-Ahrash

Re: [p2pu-community] How can we encourage the creation of strong learning objectives? Alison Jean Cole 11/22/10 12:54 PM
http://wiki.p2pu.org/course-structure needs a lot of love, especially in relation to learning goals.

We're having a parallel conversation with Nils Peterson about this topic, as well. Learning goals were certainly a part of the last orientation, but we only covered them in a seminar with the Berkeley iSchool folks in relation to identifying the most suitable tools.

Currently the handbook lacks a coherent & provocative appeal to organizers to really get down in the dirt and define learning goals. This may be one of the most crucial take-aways of the course design process, and I think we've (I've?) fallen short of this.

Links to resources on how to define learning goals are useful resources. I would opine that what's really needed is a heavy-hitting, epiphany-inducing, omnipresent method of ensuring all course designers define learning goals, and define them well.

P.S. If you search the p2pu-new-courses archive there's been some interesting discussions about learning goals, as well: http://groups.google.com/group/p2pu-new-courses
Re: [p2pu-community] How can we encourage the creation of strong learning objectives? Philipp Schmidt 11/22/10 9:20 PM
On 22 November 2010 20:39, Ahrash Bissell <ahrash....@gmail.com> wrote:
> You might take a look at the resources from the Center for Teaching at
> Vanderbilt. In particular, this site (referenced within) has a step-by-step
> tutorial that does a good job of helping people through the (backwards)
> design process.

These resources are concise and look extremely helpful. For example,
from the section on goal setting:

Skill Goals: What are the abilities you want students to attain
* What should students be able to do with their learning after your
course? How can they apply their new knowledge?

... and copied from the course design template:

Learning Outcomes (Modules/Unit Learning Outcomes**
- To be more than a wishlist objectives need to be immediate,
measurable and achievable outcomes created for each general objective.
- The objective of each topic stated in realistic and pragmatic, and
preferably behavioural terms ‘By the end of the class you will be able
to...’ The focus is on what students will be able to do or how they
will show that they know...
- More specifically identify the:
* knowledge you want the students to have by the end of the course.
* skills you want the students to master by the end of the course.
* attitudes you want students to demonstrate at the end of the course
(Use Bloom’s taxonomy to help you organize the objectives.)

> -Ahrash
>
> On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 11:00 AM, Pippa Buchanan
> <pipstar....@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I've been thinking a lot about the next intake of course ideas and have
>> been pondering course learning objectives.  It's something that I wish I'd
>> done better with my last course and something I'd like to learn more about
>> in general.
>>
>> For people who are close within this community we're aware that learning
>> outcomes exist, even if we're not experts at clarifying and writing them up
>> ourselves. I'm just wondering how we can make this really important step of
>> course organisation and design a little bit easier for organisers?
>>
>> Can anyone recommend some good accessible resources explaining learning
>> outcomes and outcome based learning that we can direct course organisers to?
>>

>> --
> group. Please stick to the ground rules:
> http://groups.google.com/group/p2pu-community/web/ground-rules

Re: [p2pu-community] How can we encourage the creation of strong learning objectives? Alison Jean Cole 11/26/10 3:06 PM
We should make the course home page more intentional.
Course summary is not very useful for obvious learning objectives, etc.

Learning objectives should be their own box, and maybe that is a better place to contain the Syllabus, which also needs greater visibility on the course home page. IMHO syllabus should have it's very own, very visible box.

Does anyone have a epiphanous (yes - it's a made up word) layout vision?

p2pu.org
Re: [p2pu-community] How can we encourage the creation of strong learning objectives? bdieu 11/26/10 4:22 PM
>Learning objectives should be their own box.
I know it's a naive question... but whose learning objectives?

Warm regards from Brazil,
B.

--
Barbara Dieu
http://barbaradieu.com

Re: [p2pu-community] How can we encourage the creation of strong learning objectives? Alison Jean Cole 11/26/10 5:11 PM
Essentially it would be the basic learning objectives for the course.
This way we have a visible foundation for researchers and assessment.

It's use can be creatively altered if an organizer or group of participants see fit.

p2pu.org

Re: [p2pu-community] How can we encourage the creation of strong learning objectives? bdieu 11/27/10 1:58 AM
>Its use can be creatively altered if an organizer or group of participants see fit.
Thanks, Alison. Yes, they would need to know they are allowed to do it and what it takes to creatively alter it.

When I saw:

* knowledge you want the students to have by the end of the course.
* skills you want the students to master by the end of the course.
* attitudes you want students to demonstrate at the end of the course

I wondered what is it that made P2P different from regular courses. For the time being the structure and objective looks more instructor than peer directed
Re: [p2pu-community] How can we encourage the creation of strong learning objectives? Jos 11/27/10 2:23 AM
Barbara, couldn't agree more! where's the benefits of peers when
everything seems to be measured in a very traditional educational way?
it's the same feeling I had when i saw the threads about assessment...
you do want to know that you are making progress but focusing on
grades is probably one of the major forces against real learning.
If you are opening the creation and organisation of courses to anyone,
I'm not sure you can expect that all organisers will be familiar with
all the pedagogical bits (which are mainly used on measuring anyway)
such as learning objectives, lecture plans, etc.
I thought it would all be a lot more organic. I work in software
development and I would probably value much more a course organised by
a real software craftsman that doesn't know what 'learning objectives'
mean in the pedagogical sense, and does not have a proper plan for the
course, than a course from a CS lecturer that has been teaching for 10
years but had never worked one day of their lives in a real software
environment.

This is not to say that measure and organisation are not needed, but
there should be a balance... somehow! :)
Sorry for being so vague... it's just an opinion.

cheers,
José

> group. Please stick to the ground rules:
> http://groups.google.com/group/p2pu-community/web/ground-rules

Re: [p2pu-community] How can we encourage the creation of strong learning objectives? Alison Jean Cole 11/27/10 11:23 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about the use of language within the list, I can say with good confidence that within the community folks are also apprehensive about traditional lingo and often work to translate these ideas into a workable p2p practice.

The learning goals quote is from a traditional resource, but highlights important aspects of what learning goals are. It would be much more useful if we used this discussion to actively agree on a practice for course organizers and participants to identify learning goals than debating meta questions.

ALISON

p2pu.org
Re: [p2pu-community] How can we encourage the creation of strong learning objectives? Jessy Kate 11/27/10 11:36 AM
i think a lot of it comes down to people taking ownership of their learning... then their objectives will be strong wrt their own goals, if that makes sense. in BCN we talked about having people explicitly assert their personal learning goals at the beginning of the course, and similarly having them explicitly assess their own achievement of those goals during/after the course.

i still feel like that would be a huge step for our courses, to systematically include that component.

is what you're talking about different than that? and/or are you feeling like you want to take it further?

jessy
Jessy Cowan-Sharp
http://jessykate.com

Re: [p2pu-community] How can we encourage the creation of strong learning objectives? Alison Jean Cole 11/27/10 11:46 AM
+1  systematically include  learning goals

There are two tiers of learning goals that must be stated.

  1. An organizer should identify the basic learning objectives of the course while designing. They already do this during the orientation so they are able to better choose participatory media. We need to create a place for them to properly display them. Applicants should be able to clearly see these learning objectives when reviewing/signing-up for a course.

  2. When the course begins, organizers should encourage introductions, create a discussion around openness (license) and collaboration (p2p/community learning + personal responsibility for learning) and most importantly ask everyone to openly express their learning goals (a process we loosely refer to as a "social contract").

In my mind I envision the course's learning objectives having clear placement on the course page. At the moment we just have a course summary which is not explicit enough in intention.

It would be ideal for participants to have a clear place to display/keep track of their personal learning goals - but I have little idea of how to incorporate that technically - I would hope that we could transform the profile page into a living portfolio, rich with information on participation and achievements.

Input on these ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Alison

p2pu.org
Re: [p2pu-community] How can we encourage the creation of strong learning objectives? Laura White 11/27/10 12:22 PM
I really like the idea of having a tiered system of learning objectives. I also think that it's really important that the course participants decide on specific learning objectives.

Perhaps then for the tiers we could have: (1) Organizers identifying general topics or questions and then spending the first course meeting (2) identifying as a peer group what specifically they want to learn together, and having the latter be measured by some sort of assessment. For example, for a course like Social Innovation in Education, an organizer would identify solving problems in education (really broad) as the general theme of the course. At the first meeting, the group could identify key questions in education problems to explore (I.E. Why do some parents remain uninvolved in their children's education?), identify skills associated with that (I.E. Root cause analysis, systems thinking), and then develop a rigorous assessment mechanism together that can be submitted for review and approval by somebody/some entity (perhaps each individual school?)

Best wishes,

Laura
Re: [p2pu-community] How can we encourage the creation of strong learning objectives? Joe Corneli 11/27/10 12:34 PM
> Perhaps then for the tiers we could have: (1) Organizers identifying general
> topics or questions and then spending the first course meeting (2)
> identifying as a peer group what specifically they want to learn together,

Nice plan Laura.  I'd add in, (3), individualized learning goals for
each participant that may diverge from those shared by the entire
group.

Re: [p2pu-community] How can we encourage the creation of strong learning objectives? Alison Jean Cole 11/27/10 3:41 PM
big +1's to Laura and Joe.

This idea reflects the ideal scenario we've talked about over the past few months.

p2pu.org

Re: [p2pu-community] How can we encourage the creation of strong learning objectives? Jessy Kate 11/27/10 4:01 PM
agreed!
Re: [p2pu-community] How can we encourage the creation of strong learning objectives? bdieu 11/28/10 3:24 AM
Alison,
Here's Bloom's revised taxonomy for people to check when defining their learning  objectives

I also suggest this excellent site on Bloom's digital taxonomy

Warm regards from Brazil,
Re: How can we encourage the creation of strong learning objectives? Pippa B 11/28/10 4:34 AM
A number of people on the dev list and those who were in Barcelona for
Drumbeat Festival have heard about Michael Nelson's learning goals
project:

https://www.drumbeat.org/project/learning-goals

I think incorporating something like this into the course design
process is a nice way to work with participant's own objectives.

P*

On Nov 28, 12:24 pm, Barbara Dieu <beeonl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Alison,
> Here's Bloom's revised taxonomy for people to check when defining
> their learning  objectiveshttp://wikieducator.org/Bloom's_revised_taxonomy
>
> I also suggest this excellent site on Bloom's digital taxonomyhttp://edorigami.wikispaces.com/Bloom%27s+Digital+Taxonomy
Re: [p2pu-community] Re: How can we encourage the creation of strong learning objectives? Michael Nelson 11/28/10 5:38 AM
On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 1:34 PM, Pippa B <pipstar....@gmail.com> wrote:
A number of people on the dev list and those who were in Barcelona for
Drumbeat Festival have heard about Michael Nelson's learning goals
project:

https://www.drumbeat.org/project/learning-goals

I think incorporating something like this into the course design
process is a nice way to work with participant's own objectives.

Thanks Pippa - it does sound very similar to the goals of the Learning Goals project (but similar also it seems to something that lots of other ppl have been thinking about too).

For anyone interested, I've put a 1.5minute intro here, highlighting the peer support for Learning Goals (goal tracking):

and a longer (6minute) video here of an early prototype that I did a while back:

(which chats about the reasons for making it really easy for people to define and see their progress with their learning goals).

I'd love to put some more time into Learning Goals and see it used within Lernata - or the reverse, if something like that is already part of Lernata, to work there to help it become a small re-usable app that can be used within our outside of P2PU.

Either way, a big +1 from me for helping people capture and reflect on their own learning goals throughout the course (ie. helping people learn a process of monitoring and improving their own learning).

-Michael

--
-
Michael Nelson

Re: [p2pu-community] Re: How can we encourage the creation of strong learning objectives? Pippa Buchanan 11/29/10 1:56 AM
I really like what Laura and Joe are saying too - at a technology supported level (write the class goals here, enter your individual goals here) it's one of those things we'll have to wait for in the Lernata release.

Coming up to January we should be encouraging this process of glass goals and I'm not really sure which part of the course design handbook is the best place for incorporating a description of this process.  I've incorporated some of this discussion into the Course Structure chapter of the handbook.  Feel free to hack, expand or relocate to a different section.

P*
Re: [p2pu-community] Re: How can we encourage the creation of strong learning objectives? bdieu 11/29/10 7:33 AM
>I thought it would all be a lot more organic. I work in software
development and I would probably value much more a course organised by a real software craftsman that doesn't know what 'learning objectives' mean in the pedagogical sense, and does not have a proper plan for the course, than a course from a CS lecturer that has been teaching for 10 years but had never worked one day of their lives in a real software environment. Sorry for being so vague... it's just an opinion.

Hello José,
Sorry I did not respond to you immediately.

You are in software development and I  teach :-)  People in different fields  have different perspectives on what constitutes learning, how we make meaning, what strategy to adopt and how to go about it  ...and yet ... though we operate in separate ecosystems, our ideas seem to converge and we agree on how we perceive certain aspects of the course/community structuring process.

The example you give of your learning preferences is not vague, nor an opinion. It exemplifies well the contrast between didactic, academic and experiential learning.
http://tip.psychology.org/rogers.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Experiential_learning

Warm regards from Brazil,
B.

--
Re: [p2pu-community] Re: How can we encourage the creation of strong learning objectives? bdieu 11/29/10 8:26 AM
>(which chats about the reasons for making it really easy for people to define and see their progress with their learning goals).

Hi Michael,
Nice project.  It reminds me a bit of 43things <http://www.43things.com/>,

but more focused on education.
Re: [p2pu-community] Re: How can we encourage the creation of strong learning objectives? Michael Nelson 11/29/10 8:55 AM
On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 5:26 PM, Barbara Dieu <beeo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>(which chats about the reasons for making it really easy for people to define and see their progress with their learning goals).

Hi Michael,
Nice project.  It reminds me a bit of 43things <http://www.43things.com/>,

but more focused on education.

Hey Barbara!

Yep, I spent a bit of time evaluating 43things (among other tools) before investing the time in a Learning Goals prototype - just seeing if I could use it to avoid writing a new tool. It certainly does allow you to list stuff that you want to do in life (which could be learning goals) - and it worked well for a fun activity in a class that I had a few years ago.

I need to start a wiki-page with various tools/projects out there that are related with pros/cons etc., with use-cases.

Re: [p2pu-community] Re: How can we encourage the creation of strong learning objectives? Jos 11/29/10 2:26 PM
Hi Barbara, thanks for the detailed reply. We certainly converge on
many aspects!
In my case, coming from a software background, I tend to focus on what
works best (in my opinion) in my field, which is mainly experiential
learning. But I always look at 'all things learning' from a social
perspective, drawing heavily from Resnick
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out_of_school_learning) and all the way
up to communities of practice.

That's why I couldn't agree more with your statement of structure and
objectives looking more instructor than student oriented. And I still
do! :)
But Alison is certainly right and this kind of discussion, although
entertaining, won't help to get any work done.

cheers,
José

> group. Please stick to the ground rules:
> http://groups.google.com/group/p2pu-community/web/ground-rules

Re: [p2pu-community] Re: How can we encourage the creation of strong learning objectives? Joe Corneli 11/29/10 2:53 PM
Hi José:

This kind of discussion may actually count as "work" for people who
make it their business to theorize about education and assessment :).

On that note, now I'm thinking that "learning goals" isn't a
descriptive enough term -- "learning pathways" might conceivably be
better, since it could encompass both goals and methods.

But switching to a not-so-theoretical point of view, I know when I
write code it is all about "experiential learning".  And asking
questions in various mailing lists.  There's often a very clear
NON-learning goal (i.e. to get such-and-such a program to work
properly) which ends up having various learning sub-goals feeding into
it.

Even in other domains it can be very difficult to phrase a clear
"learning goal" -- I think I personally tend to assume that learning
happens "automatically" as a side-effect of working on challenging
tasks.  But as a researcher, I have to ask questions and come up with
a plan as to how I will *learn* the answers.

In short, whether it's a learning goal or some other kind of goal, it
can sometimes be useful to clarify it...

Joe

Re: [p2pu-community] Re: How can we encourage the creation of strong learning objectives? Jos 11/29/10 3:21 PM
Hi Joe,

I'm afraid am in that business so it is 'work' for me, but maybe
doesn't have a place in this thread. Or maybe it does? :)

+1 for "learning pathways". Especially after watching Michael's video,
in which you can actually write your own path through steps and
feedback along the timeline. It's a very neat idea. Would be a great
add-on within the current infrastructure for courses.

When you say "I think I personally tend to assume that learning
happens "automatically" as a side-effect of working on challenging
tasks" you are pretty much summarising the anthropological view of
theories of situativity. My big question here is how to capitalise on
that to create a learning experience.
Sorry for deviating the thread again; I'll be quiet now :)

cheers,
José

On 29 November 2010 22:53, Joe Corneli <holtze...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi José:
>
> This kind of discussion may actually count as "work" for people who
> make it their business to theorize about education and assessment :).
>
> On that note, now I'm thinking that "learning goals" isn't a
> descriptive enough term -- "learning pathways" might conceivably be
> better, since it could encompass both goals and methods.
>
> But switching to a not-so-theoretical point of view, I know when I
> write code it is all about "experiential learning".  And asking
> questions in various mailing lists.  There's often a very clear
> NON-learning goal (i.e. to get such-and-such a program to work
> properly) which ends up having various learning sub-goals feeding into
> it.
>
> Even in other domains it can be very difficult to phrase a clear
> "learning goal" -- I think I personally tend to assume that learning
> happens "automatically" as a side-effect of working on challenging
> tasks.  But as a researcher, I have to ask questions and come up with
> a plan as to how I will *learn* the answers.
>
> In short, whether it's a learning goal or some other kind of goal, it
> can sometimes be useful to clarify it...
>
> Joe
>
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 10:26 PM, Josmas Flores <josmas...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Barbara, thanks for the detailed reply. We certainly converge on
>> many aspects!
>> In my case, coming from a software background, I tend to focus on what
>> works best (in my opinion) in my field, which is mainly experiential
>> learning. But I always look at 'all things learning' from a social
>> perspective, drawing heavily from Resnick
>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out_of_school_learning) and all the way
>> up to communities of practice.
>>
>> That's why I couldn't agree more with your statement of structure and
>> objectives looking more instructor than student oriented. And I still
>> do! :)
>> But Alison is certainly right and this kind of discussion, although
>> entertaining, won't help to get any work done.
>>
>> cheers,
>> José

>>> Hey Barbara!
>>> Yep, I spent a bit of time evaluating 43things (among other tools) before
>>> investing the time in a Learning Goals prototype - just seeing if I could
>>> use it to avoid writing a new tool. It certainly does allow you to list
>>> stuff that you want to do in life (which could be learning goals) - and it
>>> worked well for a fun activity in a class that I had a few years ago.
>>> I need to start a wiki-page with various tools/projects out there that are
>>> related with pros/cons etc., with use-cases.
>>> --
>>> -
>>> Michael Nelson
>>> http://liveandletlearn.net
>>>
>>> --

Re: [p2pu-community] Re: How can we encourage the creation of strong learning objectives? bdieu 11/30/10 3:43 AM
> It would be ideal for participants to have a clear place to display/keep track of their personal learning goals - but I have little idea of how to incorporate that technically - I would hope that we could transform the profile page into a living portfolio, rich with information on participation and achievements.

Do you want to capture and centralize this info in the p2pu.org site/server or are you comfortable with piping this info into the profile  from different sources?
B.

--
Barbara Dieu
http://barbaradieu.com
On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 11:43 AM, Barbara Dieu <beeo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It would be ideal for participants to have a clear place to display/keep
>> track of their personal learning goals - but I have little idea of how to
>> incorporate that technically - I would hope that we could transform the
>> profile page into a living portfolio, rich with information on participation
>> and achievements.
>
> Do you want to capture and centralize this info in the p2pu.org site/server
> or are you comfortable with piping this info into the profile  from
> different sources?

In any case, it would be really nice to see some mockups or examples,
with evidence or guesses about how they are useful!  In fact, I have
one example, but frankly I'm not sure if it's useful.

http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/User:Arided/Learner_Profile

I'd really like to see some additional examples and ideas for 'best
practices'.  This definitely seems like an eat-our-own-dog-food
situation (if we can't find uses for these things, why should we
expect others to?).

Joe

Re: [p2pu-community] Re: How can we encourage the creation of strong learning objectives? Laura White 11/30/10 12:09 PM
I don't know anything about mockups or know of any examples, but one thing that I think would be really useful is if the information on people's profiles could be used to recommend courses that they would like based on interests, learning goals, and previous courses taken. I suppose that would involve a lot of tagging and refining, but I think the main goal of a P2PU learner is to find courses she/he will like and benefit from, so as P2PU grows and gains schools, perhaps this would be a good way to help a learner chart her/his learning experience.

Laura

Re: [p2pu-community] Re: How can we encourage the creation of strong learning objectives? Joe Corneli 11/30/10 12:57 PM
Fully agree.   I'll try to incorporate more info on the courses I'd
like to take or facilitate into my own profile.
Re: [p2pu-community] Re: How can we encourage the creation of strong learning objectives? bdieu 11/30/10 1:06 PM
I have just come across a presentation about the 5 mistakes of virtual education.
http://www.slideshare.net/guiramirez/the-5-bigmistakesofvirtualeducation
Not sure this is the thread for it, and whether it is too meta :-), but still,
it got quite a number of favourites and it is quite straightforward.
Warm regards,
Re: [p2pu-community] Re: How can we encourage the creation of strong learning objectives? Maria Droujkova 11/30/10 1:50 PM
Mistake number one: modeling education as transfer of information.

Cheers,
Maria Droujkova

Make math your own, to make your own math.
Re: [p2pu-community] Re: How can we encourage the creation of strong learning objectives? Jessy Kate 11/30/10 2:50 PM
wow, exceptional presentation barbara. some great quotes:

a "package" is the product of a designer, [but] a course is an unpredictable and single event hosted by an educator.

a "module" is predetermined, [but] a course is contingent, like the course of a river.

this is totally what we're trying to address at p2pu... totally recommend skimming through this.

jessy

Jessy Cowan-Sharp
http://jessykate.com

Re: [p2pu-community] Re: How can we encourage the creation of strong learning objectives? Stian Håklev 11/30/10 5:17 PM
Yeah I love this presentation, great content and beautiful design. I wonder if it was ever "delivered", or if it was designed just to be consumed by itself - unlike all of my presentations it actually works great without voice. (And without overloading the slides with text)...

Stianhttp://reganmian.net/blog -- Random Stuff that Matters

Re: [p2pu-community] Re: How can we encourage the creation of strong learning objectives? bdieu 12/1/10 1:00 AM
>Yeah I love this presentation, great content and beautiful design.
Guillermo Ramirez seems to be a Colombian educator so  you can find the presentation both in Spanish and in English.
Here is the article (or maybe it is the transcript of the presentation) he wrote (in Spanish) about the 5 mistakes
http://www.profevirtual.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=33&Itemid=1
Re: [p2pu-community] Re: How can we encourage the creation of strong learning objectives? bdieu 12/1/10 1:27 AM
>or if it was designed just to be consumed by itself - unlike all of my presentations it actually works great without voice. (And without overloading the slides with text)...
It might be an idea to have something similar summarizing visually  the main steps for course creation at P2PU. Check this out:

Situations where slideshows rock: Slideshows are perfect for linear storytelling and step-by-step processes.

News sites rightly use slideshows to complement feature articles. Carousels of photos are great for providing supplemental content. They can also be strong vehicles for illustrating a news story exclusively through photojournalism.

Another content situation perfectly suited for the “next button” is the how-to. Step by step instructions—from makeup application, cooking recipe steps to home improvement—fit naturally into the slideshow structure.

http://notesondigital.com/2010/10/is-your-content-right-for-a-slideshow/
More topics »