flash moocs (was Re: [p2pu-community] What's Your P2PU Dream Course?)

Showing 1-9 of 9 messages
flash moocs (was Re: [p2pu-community] What's Your P2PU Dream Course?) Jessy Kate Schingler 6/26/12 12:47 AM
cool guys, thanks for the enthusiasm. i will scheme about the flash mooc. i have been thinking of using statusnet for the platform (an open source twitter clone that supports groups!). we have set up a vanilla install of statusnet for p2pu to test our at social.p2pu.org. (it's completely basic install at the moment, no fancy plugins and a pretty ugly theme :p). but i was thinking to spruce that up a bit to run a flash mooc on.

jos, i also like your wonderland idea. and i also had remote + synchronous in mind.

to me the goal would be to identify some basic set of starting conditions/local rules to set such a flash mooc in motion. what types of learning experiences would be appropriate for and best supported by a high intensity burst of interaction? how do you build "reflective practice" into the flash mooc structure? what types of outputs could we expect? and what would make it a course versus just a shared experience?

would be happy for any input/thoughts! i will put it on my list of things to chew on and report back with some initial thoughts.
jessy

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 11:15 PM, Jos Flores <josmas...@gmail.com> wrote:
I really like the idea of flash moocs too; would be great to do some
of these remotely but synchronously, in a platform like Open
Wonderland (http://openwonderland.org/). Would be great to get one
going!

cheers,
Jose

On 25 June 2012 21:44, Alison Cole <ali...@p2pu.org> wrote:
> Let's see if we can get the Piano groups, flash mooc, and one of vanessa's
> ideas off the ground.
>
> I bet others have some ideas for cool courses - dish them out! You won't be
> forced to commit, I promise!
>

> On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 10:11 AM, Vanessa Gennarelli <van...@p2pu.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> Oooooh a flash MOOC. Jessy, that's awesome. A really interesting
>> pedagogical challenge...
>>
>> On Jun 22, 2012, at 9:34 AM, Jessy Kate Schingler <je...@jessykate.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> course ideas i've been mulling over:
>>
>> * flash MOOC - a one-day-hypoer-intensive MOOC on a specific topic, with a
>> target goal that everyone works towards achieving (like, "how to build a
>> particle accelerator").
>> --> might try this while at CERN :).
>>
>> * how to run a corporation (electronically) - manage your own corporate
>> meetings, minutes, bylaws, resolutions, etc. emphasis on distributed/online
>> teams with electronic record books, digital signatures, and maintaining
>> compliance with state and federal laws regarding board votes, meeting
>> notices, etc. generic, applicable to any organization.
>>
>> * hacking the corporation -overview of different types of corporate
>> structures, their respective implications, and then exploring new and
>> different approaches to creating organizational incentives - decision-making
>> breakdown and share distribution, salary-caps, not-for-personal-profit
>> corporations with shares, etc. emphasis on case-studies (real and imagined),
>> with discussions about the (real, observed and imagined) implications of
>> said structural decisions.
>> --> i have someone in mind that could be awesome to co-run this course
>> with. i don't know her, but it would be a perfect excuse to approach her
>> about a collaboration :D. not something i have the badwidth for this summer,
>> but perhaps something for the fall.
>>

>> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 3:10 PM, Vanessa Gennarelli <van...@p2pu.org>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> My dream courses:
>>>
>>> Digital Humanities: Building Humanitistic Interfaces
>>> Art: Make My Own Museum: Cabinet of Curiosities.
>>> Writing: Content Strategy for the Web.
>>> Education: Project-Based Learning.
>>>
>>> Would *love* to team up with anyone who's interested in building out any
>>> of the above.
>>>
>>> Great idea, Ali. Vanessa

>>> --
>>> Vanessa Gennarelli
>>> Learning Lead, Peer 2 Peer University
>>> van...@p2pu.org
>>> @mozzadrella
>>>
>>> --
>>

>> --
>> Jessy
>> http://jessykate.com
>>
>> --
>>
>> --

> Alison

Jessy

Re: flash moocs (was Re: [p2pu-community] What's Your P2PU Dream Course?) Philipp Schmidt 6/26/12 1:51 AM
love flash mooc!

Re: flash moocs (was Re: [p2pu-community] What's Your P2PU Dream Course?) mick fuzz 6/26/12 2:50 AM

> to me the goal would be to identify some basic set of starting
> conditions/local rules to set such a flash mooc in motion. what types of
> learning experiences would be appropriate for and best supported by a high
> intensity burst of interaction? how do you build "reflective practice" into
> the flash mooc structure? what types of outputs could we expect? and what
> would make it a course versus just a shared experience?

I'm rolling a few ideas together here.

I love status.net - so the more people using it the better. I do find it  a bit tricky to explain to people in a way. 'It's like twitter but embraces the federated web!' is the essence but try saying that down the pub.

There are docs - and some good ones. http://status.net/wiki/Main_Page
But nothing that leads you by the hand exactly.

So just throwing it out there-  Could the process of creating a p2pu course on using Status.net be a good flash mooc activity?

here are some plus points;

  • If you are going to use Status.net as part of p2pp -  it would be good to have a course on how to use it and why it's federated approach is a good thing.
  • And there are plenty of users and people involved with Status.net out there that are good writers. I co-wrote a book with someone involved with the project - http://openweb.flossmanuals.net/
  • The nature of the socially federated micro-blog lends itself to 'flash'-like experiences. So using it as a subject for a first flash mooc may mean you are pitching it to a receptive audience.
nice one
Mick
Re: flash moocs (was Re: [p2pu-community] What's Your P2PU Dream Course?) Jessy Kate Schingler 6/26/12 8:37 AM
hehe, i am used to getting strange looks at the bar, so i know where you are coming from... :)

so... IIUC, the flash mooc activity would be to create and populate a p2pu challenge, where the topic is installing, configuring, using, and customizing/hacking statusnet? a bit like the "contributing to lernanta" course, it's sort of living, participatory documentation.

i think this is cool, if a bit meta! but i wonder, what is it that makes this a "course"? i see an argument that a) documentation is definitely more fun to build socially, and b) writing things down is often a great way to learn and make sure you understand them. (or, maybe, who cares if its a "course"? and that doesn't matter per se, beause it's still useful?).

i also lament the lack of good docs for statusnet. if you know some of the people involved in this and think you can help get traction with the statusnet community (which i am not connected to) i think it would be a really fun experiment!

jessy

Jessy

Re: flash moocs (was Re: [p2pu-community] What's Your P2PU Dream Course?) Jos 6/26/12 9:37 AM
Hey guys, does it have to be a course? can we do a flash "moop" as in
project? i can think of a bunch of projects we could tackle such as
trying to set up Prose for P2PU projects/labs.
If it's a one day thing it probably won't be 'm' either, right? how
much flexibility can we play with?

cheers,
José
Re: flash moocs (was Re: [p2pu-community] What's Your P2PU Dream Course?) Alan Webb 6/26/12 9:46 AM
Flash TOOPs?  (Tiny Open Online Project?)
Re: flash moocs (was Re: [p2pu-community] What's Your P2PU Dream Course?) Jessy Kate Schingler 6/26/12 10:01 AM
perhaps one end of the "flash mooc" spectrum is basically what we already know as a hackathon, documentation party, or design charet... the other end might be, say, a flash mooc on the influence of religion on european history. or operating systems, or it might be a flash mooc to take on any of the challenges on the p2pu site.

other ideas for flash mooc structures could be:
- have 1000 questions and try to answer as many of them as possible in the 12 hour flash MOOC timeframe, working on your own or with others.
- structure it as a puzzle or virtual treasurehunt
- write a collective, emergent report
- proposing and dissecting counter examples to a proposed theory/hypothesis.

oo, another idea could be a relay MOOC - where you have to do your part when the course "arrives" at you from the previous person.

anyway, indeed, i think we have infinite flexibility! IMHO the question is more about if, and how, we are creating new tools/techniques for learning.

jessy
Re: flash moocs (was Re: [p2pu-community] What's Your P2PU Dream Course?) mick fuzz 6/27/12 4:53 AM

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Jessy Kate Schingler <je...@jessykate.com> wrote:
hehe, i am used to getting strange looks at the bar, so i know where you are coming from... :)

so... IIUC, the flash mooc activity would be to create and populate a p2pu challenge, where the topic is installing, configuring, using, and customizing/hacking statusnet? a bit like the "contributing to lernanta" course, it's sort of living, participatory documentation.

i think this is cool, if a bit meta! but i wonder, what is it that makes this a "course"? i see an argument that a) documentation is definitely more fun to build socially, and b) writing things down is often a great way to learn and make sure you understand them. (or, maybe, who cares if its a "course"? and that doesn't matter per se, beause it's still useful?).

I think you are right, while a good thing in itself it doesn't quite fit for a flash mooc as you describe it.
I was trying to roll a few things together I guess.
  • The idea of a flash or sprint for creating a course which could mirror some of the book sprint elements - http://www.booksprints.net/about/
  • The idea of using status.net for a communication tool for a flash mooc -
  • The idea of using this activity as excuse to get better status.net docs for new users.
So I don't want to send this thread off in a different direction so I'll come back to your original question as I'm enjoying throwing these ideas out there!

> conditions/local rules to set such a flash mooc in motion. what types of
> learning experiences would be appropriate for and best supported by a high
> intensity burst of interaction? how do you build "reflective practice" into
> the flash mooc structure? what types of outputs could we expect? and what
> would make it a course versus just a shared experience?

So maybe learing to use Status.net rather than creating a status.net course is a good candidate for a flash mooc. Of course we'd have to create a course first.

I say this because you need people to interact with to really test out this social networking software. It suits getting lots of people on board at one time. I know that plenty of my friends would like to escape facebook but lack any kind of critical mass of friends using other tools to be able to do that. A critical mass of accidental friends could help. (I've seen that happen a bit with diaspora). So a flash Mooc course in this area would certainly be best supported by a high intensity burst of interaction especially if lead by a community of interest like p2pu.

Reflective practice for new users could come through the use of the new tool and through interaction with existing communities. Trying to share understanding of the advantages of federation and open web technologies is also an additional, reflective learning outcome.

It could be a skill based course with a badge available saying you can sent dents, connect to other users, join and post to groups, and interact across different status net installs.

Outputs?

Here's a bit of a story.

One of my colleagues gave 2 presentations a couple of gatherings. He outlined what Status.net was, what the implications of 'federated social web' were and offered to set up a Status.net node if we used it and invited our friends. He set it up at http://Indy.im

Very quickly it spread amongst friends and campaigns. So now there is a fairly wide circle of us that use a combination of status.net  and blog posts linked to in our 'dents' (read tweets). For us this is a very effective replacement for facebook and email lists. Well not a replacement but a good alternative. It allows us to dip into the conversation when we want to and adds lots of new content (mostly open tech and protest related) into the status.net eco system. It's a great resource for us which required minimal effort!

It is totally possible to imagine a similar output for a flash MooC on using Status.net which invites people to join the http://social.p2pu.org/ instal.  It would add a lot of peer / online learning content into the status.net eco-system and promote exchange of info between the existing status.net community (which is pretty massive) and p2pu folk.

So this is just blue sky thinking as it would need quite a bit of preparation. But there were traction in this kind of idea then I think that there would be people in the FM community that would input into process of creating docs for a course and there are links to the Status.net developers that could be explored.

Sorry for the length of that post, I'm clearly avoiding other work!

mick

Re: flash moocs (was Re: [p2pu-community] What's Your P2PU Dream Course?) Leah MacVie 6/27/12 10:27 AM
Jessy
Please, please let me know about this! If you need any help on the management or development fronts, please let me know. What a nifty idea!