.asf aggravation

Showing 1-5 of 5 messages
.asf aggravation Ted S. 5/10/12 5:18 AM
I'm on an older computer with Windows XP, if that makes a difference.

<http://vu2005.promin.ispcp.org.ua/index.php?id=308>

The two buttons both seem to open a .asf file.  Opera is set to use the
Windows Media Player Plug-In DLL, but that opens up the program I have
for MP4 files.  (Unsurprisingly, since somewhere along the way it set
itself to be the default for .asf files.)  That program doesn't seem to
be handling .asf audio and when I try to select the DLL for it, which
claims to be in the same folder as Winamp, the program crashes.

I tried selecting the option in Opera to open the .asf file directly in
Winamp (no audio, and it cleared the cache of queued files) and then in
Windows Media Player, which tells me I don't have the proper codec.
Trying to open it directly in Opera yielded a three or four-line text
file.

I presume the problem here isn't with Opera, but with not having the
right DLL or coded, but I have absolutely no idea where to go about
finding the proper codec.  (Well, other than doing a google search,
which has only left me more confused.)  SO I figured I'd start out by
asking whether other Opera users can get the asf file to play.

OT, but this is one of the many reasons I hate hate hate streaming audio
and would much rather download stuff and play it when I'd like.
Unfortunately, the site I mentioned stopped updating their audio on
demand downloads a week ago.  :-(

--
Ted S.
fedya at hughes dot net

Hello Ted !

"Ted S." <fedya@hughes.spam> wrote:

> I'm on an older computer with Windows XP, if that makes a difference.

> <http://vu2005.promin.ispcp.org.ua/index.php?id=308>

> The two buttons both seem to open a .asf file.

    ...no problem.
    What you need is the Firefox plugin that holds those kind of files; your site above works with it:

application/x-mplayer2      *
application/x-ms-wmp        *
audio/x-ms-wax      wax,*
audio/x-ms-wma      wma,*
video/x-ms-asf-plugin       *,asf,asx
video/x-ms-asf      asx,*,asf
video/x-ms-wm       wm,*
video/x-ms-wmv      wmv,*
video/x-ms-wvx      wvx,*

    You can find it here:
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Microsoft-Windows-Media-Player-Firefox-Plugin/1176 822652/1

    Just copy it in the plugin's directory of Opera (works for Firefox too of course).

--
Laurent Jumet - Point de Chat, Liège, BELGIUM
      KeyID: 0xCFAF704C

Gene
Re: .asf aggravation Ted S. 5/11/12 3:51 AM
On Thu, 10 May 2012 15:24:21 +0200, Laurent Jumet wrote:

>     You can find it here:
> http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Microsoft-Windows-Media-Player-Firefox-Plugin/1176822652/1
>
>     Just copy it in the plugin's directory of Opera (works for Firefox too of course).

All I got was a 195 byte file.  Put it in the plugins directory anyhow,
but it didn't work.

Of course, the latest updated version of Windows Media Player (which
damn well ought to be the latest version since "update" downloaded a
25MB file yesterday!) still doesn't work either.
Re: .asf aggravation Ted S. 5/11/12 8:04 AM
On Fri, 11 May 2012 06:51:55 -0400, Ted S. wrote:

> All I got was a 195 byte file.  Put it in the plugins directory anyhow,
> but it didn't work.

I finally found the full-sized .exe and opened it, which installed the
plug-in.  I now get a representation of an audio player with the
play/stop etc. buttons.  But no audio.