Portable Container & Web Intents

Showing 1-5 of 5 messages
Portable Container & Web Intents Jonathan Beri 7/1/11 9:56 PM
Paul Kinlan from Google is working on a project called Web Intents.I just learned about Web Intents in a recent post. He describes Web Intents as "a framework for client-side service discovery and inter-application communication." Sounds a lot like embedding gadgets. This may be a good solution for a portable container, even better than something like oEmbed. There's even a concept of actions & types, that corresponds to activity stream model.

There's already plenty of sample code to play with & its even under Apache licensing.

What do you guys think? I'd love to see portable container make it into 2.1.
Re: Portable Container & Web Intents Jonathan Beri 7/6/11 3:09 AM
Paul Kinlane just posted some slides on Web Intents.
Re: [osgs] Re: Portable Container & Web Intents Paul Kinlan 7/6/11 3:14 AM
Hi Guys,

I also happen to be on this list, so feel free to ask any questions :)

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 12:09 PM, Jonathan Beri <jmb...@gmail.com> wrote:
Paul Kinlane just posted some slides on Web Intents.

Paul Kinlan
Developer Advocate @ Google for Chrome and HTML5
t: +447730517944
tw: @Paul_Kinlan
LinkedIn: http://uk.linkedin.com/in/paulkinlan
Blog: http://paul.kinlan.me
Skype: paul.kinlan
Re: [osgs] Re: Portable Container & Web Intents Jonathan Beri 7/8/11 9:48 PM
One of the next major topics for OS is a portable container - an easy way to embed a container + gadget on the client (or even a server application.) We've talked about oEmbed, but it has its pros and cons. Web Intents seems like it may be a more robust solution - especially when combined with the Common Container. Also seems to have momentum, since Google & Firefox are working on the solution together.

What do you think?
Re: [osgs] Re: Portable Container & Web Intents Mark W. 7/12/11 4:26 AM
Jonathan & Paul K.
I'd like to learn more about this and, as Jonathan points out, not go down a path that will put us in a corner later.