New gatekeeper

Showing 1-63 of 63 messages
New gatekeeper Ryan Dahl 1/30/12 11:55 AM
Now that the rewrite on top of libuv is largely complete, I am ceding
my position as gatekeeper to Isaac Schlueter. Our energy will now be
largely focused over the next few months on improving the third party
module system experience including a website for browsing modules, a
new addon build system, and binary installations from npm. Isaac is in
the unique position to bridge the gap between core and external
modules to ensure a pleasant experience. After three years of working
on Node, this frees me up to work on research projects. I am still an
employee at Joyent and will advise from the sidelines but I won't be
involved in the day-to-day bug fixes. Isaac has final say over what
makes it into the releases. Appeals for new features, changes, and bug
fixes should now be directed at him.
Re: [nodejs] New gatekeeper 3rdEden 1/30/12 11:58 AM
Congratulations Isaac!

CAN WE HAS WEBSOCKETS AND SPDY IN CORE ;D

Re: [nodejs] New gatekeeper Tim Caswell 1/30/12 11:58 AM
Ryan,

Thanks for an awesome project.  I know many of us will be enjoying it
for years to come.

-Tim

> --
> Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

Re: [nodejs] New gatekeeper Fedor Indutny 1/30/12 12:01 PM
Just, thank you.
Re: [nodejs] New gatekeeper tbranyen 1/30/12 12:34 PM
A tear in my eye, I said I wouldn't cry, time for good bye =(tim branyen, bocoup
Re: New gatekeeper Bradley Meck 1/30/12 12:45 PM
Congrats to Ryan on getting some time to go back to new projects and
congrats to Isaacs on being the guy who will decide on the big stuff
from now on.

Cheers,
Bradley

P.S. Who is the key master...
Re: [nodejs] New gatekeeper Mikeal Rogers 1/30/12 12:53 PM
The "L" in BDFL means LIFE, BRO!

:)

It's good to see the focus moving from core to the module community and there is no better person than Issac to help move it.

-Mikeal

> --
> Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

Re: New gatekeeper Tane Piper 1/30/12 12:58 PM
Good luck with the research stuff - hope we get to see some of the more interesting and successful results.  Thanks again for all your hard work to get us to this point with node, and I'm sure Issac will be as pragmatic in his decisions with node as you were.
Re: New gatekeeper James Carr 1/30/12 1:02 PM
Oh wow.

Good luck with the research stuff, and big thanks for the amazing work
you've put into node.js. It's nice to know that Isaac will be taking
the reins. He's been passionately involved since the beginning.:)

Thanks,
James
Re: New gatekeeper H Schroeder 1/30/12 1:03 PM
Really? This is kind of sad. Anyways, thanks for the fantastic work. Node will always be your baby.
Re: New gatekeeper Scott Ware 1/30/12 1:07 PM
Congrats to everyone! Best of luck on your new research projects, Ryan!
Re: New gatekeeper tjholowaychuk 1/30/12 1:10 PM
I can only imagine how it feels to work on the same thing for ~3
years, good luck with the new stuff! You must have a huge list of
things to tinker with
Re: [nodejs] New gatekeeper Paul Querna 1/30/12 1:18 PM
Thank you for making Node a beautiful system.

-Paul

Re: [nodejs] New gatekeeper Elijah Insua 1/30/12 1:23 PM
congrats to both of you - well deserved!
Re: [nodejs] New gatekeeper maga 1/30/12 1:27 PM
> The "L" in BDFL means LIFE, BRO!
I definitely hope so!

Thanks, Ryan!
Re: New gatekeeper Felix Geisendoerfer 1/30/12 1:33 PM
Thanks for your amazing work Ryan. I'm very much looking forward to the things you will be doing in the future.
Re: New gatekeeper Marco Rogers 1/30/12 1:37 PM
I suppose you deserve a break :) Congrats to Isaac. Here's to continuing to push node forward.

:Marco
Re: New gatekeeper Christopher Jeffrey 1/30/12 1:44 PM
Goodbye, ry. Thanks for node and thanks for serving us well.

On Jan 30, 1:55 pm, Ryan Dahl <r...@tinyclouds.org> wrote:
Re: New gatekeeper substack 1/30/12 1:54 PM
As a fellow mad scientist I understand completely. Have a
commemorative cartoon to mark the occasion:

http://substack.net/images/coronation.png
Re: [nodejs] Re: New gatekeeper Nick Campbell 1/30/12 2:04 PM
Very cool. Thanks for cultivating such an awesome project Ryan.

And, both congrats and good luck to Isaac with the new role. :)

- Nick Campbell

http://digitaltumbleweed.com

> --
> Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

Re: New gatekeeper Martin Lundberg 1/30/12 2:13 PM
Thanks Ryan, Node.js is a great piece of technology!
Re: New gatekeeper Ray Morgan 1/30/12 2:14 PM
Congrats to both of you.

Ryan, thank you for such a well thought out system and not allowing
everything and anything into core!

On Jan 30, 11:55 am, Ryan Dahl <r...@tinyclouds.org> wrote:
Re: [nodejs] New gatekeeper aaronheckmann 1/30/12 2:25 PM
Thank you Ryan for giving javascript its missing arms and legs. Congrats Isaac.

--
Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

Aaron

Re: [nodejs] New gatekeeper DTrejo 1/30/12 2:59 PM
Thank you Ryan — I look forward to the firm rule of Schlueter the beneficent.

Re: New gatekeeper Ryan 1/30/12 3:00 PM
Thanks, you did an awesome job. Hope hope your time isn't all
research, relax.

On Jan 30, 11:55 am, Ryan Dahl <r...@tinyclouds.org> wrote:
Re: [nodejs] New gatekeeper tedsuo 1/30/12 3:39 PM
Hopefully this frees you up for a vacation first!

Ted

On Jan 30, 2012, at 1:54 PM, substack wrote:

[...]

Re: New gatekeeper cwolves 1/30/12 4:14 PM
Good luck to both of you. I look forward to seeing your future
projects, Ryan!
Re: New gatekeeper Chris Grant 1/30/12 1:05 PM
Thanks for all your hard work, Ryan. We wish you the very best in your
research projects!
Re: [nodejs] New gatekeeper Ryan Doenges 1/30/12 12:30 PM
*applause*

This is sad/exciting.

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 12:01 PM, Fedor Indutny <fe...@indutny.com> wrote:
Just, thank you.

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 1:55 PM, Ryan Dahl <r...@tinyclouds.org> wrote:
> Now that the rewrite on top of libuv is largely complete, I am ceding
> my position as gatekeeper to Isaac Schlueter. Our energy will now be
> largely focused over the next few months on improving the third party
> module system experience including a website for browsing modules, a
> new addon build system, and binary installations from npm. Isaac is in
> the unique position to bridge the gap between core and external
> modules to ensure a pleasant experience. After three years of working
> on Node, this frees me up to work on research projects. I am still an
> employee at Joyent and will advise from the sidelines but I won't be
> involved in the day-to-day bug fixes. Isaac has final say over what
> makes it into the releases. Appeals for new features, changes, and bug
> fixes should now be directed at him.

Re: [nodejs] Re: New gatekeeper gabe...@cisco.com 1/30/12 5:31 PM
Good luck Ryan. Not many people can bring about a paradigm shift.

Be proud.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 30, 2012, at 7:14 PM, Chris Grant <cdgo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for all your hard work, Ryan. We wish you the very best in your
> research projects!
>
> --
> Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

Re: New gatekeeper dhruvbird 1/30/12 6:35 PM
Thanks for node.js and everything else that goes with it!! :)
Re: New gatekeeper MK2 1/30/12 7:06 PM
Thanks, Ryan.
Re: [nodejs] Re: New gatekeeper Sri Rangan 1/30/12 7:19 PM
Thanks Ryan, congrats Isaac.

- Sri

Srirangan  |  About   GitHub  LinkedIn  Twitter  |  Review19  "Next generation, real-time project collaboration"

Thanks, Ryan.
--
Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

Re: New gatekeeper ekryski 1/30/12 7:33 PM
Congrats to both you guys!  Thanks for all the hard work.
RE: [nodejs] New gatekeeper Glenn Block 1/30/12 8:04 PM
Congrats Ryan! You've done amazing work on node. You'd be surprised to
know how many teams at my work are really serious about using it! Enjoy
your much deserved break.

Isaac, looking forward to the future!

Sent from my Windows Phone
Now that the rewrite on top of libuv is largely complete, I am ceding
my position as gatekeeper to Isaac Schlueter. Our energy will now be
largely focused over the next few months on improving the third party
module system experience including a website for browsing modules, a
new addon build system, and binary installations from npm. Isaac is in
the unique position to bridge the gap between core and external
modules to ensure a pleasant experience. After three years of working
on Node, this frees me up to work on research projects. I am still an
employee at Joyent and will advise from the sidelines but I won't be
involved in the day-to-day bug fixes. Isaac has final say over what
makes it into the releases. Appeals for new features, changes, and bug
fixes should now be directed at him.

--

Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
For more options, visit this group at

Re: [nodejs] New gatekeeper Alan Gutierrez 1/30/12 8:11 PM
On 1/30/12 2:55 PM, Ryan Dahl wrote:
> Now that the rewrite on top of libuv is largely complete, I am ceding
> my position as gatekeeper to Isaac Schlueter. Our energy will now be
> largely focused over the next few months on improving the third party
> module system experience including a website for browsing modules, a
> new addon build system, and binary installations from npm. Isaac is in
> the unique position to bridge the gap between core and external
> modules to ensure a pleasant experience. After three years of working
> on Node, this frees me up to work on research projects. I am still an
> employee at Joyent and will advise from the sidelines but I won't be
> involved in the day-to-day bug fixes. Isaac has final say over what
> makes it into the releases. Appeals for new features, changes, and bug
> fixes should now be directed at him.

Thank you both for this platform that saved me from a dreadful object
oriented software pattern existence. Node.js peeled back the layers and
layers of abstraction that had congealed over the years, and made it
okay for a programmer to once again, lay hands on the operating system.
A whole new crop of programmers is coming up that know their UDP from
their TCP. They are scary smart and out of control productive.

It would be difficult to overstate the importance of Node.js, but all to
easy to invite an accusation of over-hyping Node.js. Let me understate
that I see a bright future for Node.js.

I am grateful to have this platform in which to express myself.

Thank you.

--
Alan Gutierrez - @bigeasy

Re: New gatekeeper Sanat Gersappa 1/30/12 8:15 PM
Thanks for the awesome work and good luck for future projects. I'm sure node is in good hands and will continue to thrive.
Re: New gatekeeper Mohamed Mansour 1/30/12 8:34 PM
Thanks Ryan! You created something awesome and amazing that you spend contributing code for all these three years! You inspire me and many others! Looking forward seeing what you will cook up next :)
Re: [nodejs] New gatekeeper inimino 1/30/12 9:19 PM
Thanks, congratulations, and best wishes to you both!
Re: New gatekeeper Bruno Jouhier 1/30/12 9:24 PM
Thanks Ryan. I hadn't had so much fun programming in years. And node
is not just fun, it is an incredible enabler. Many many thanks.

And good luck to Isaac. I'm sure you'll carry the spirit forwards.

Bruno
Re: [nodejs] New gatekeeper koichik 1/30/12 9:27 PM
Thanks Ryan, good luck with the new stuff!
Congrats Isaac!

2012/1/31 inimino <ini...@inimino.org>:

> Thanks, congratulations, and best wishes to you both!
>

> --
> Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
> For more options, visit this group at

Re: New gatekeeper Le Zhang (@le_isms) 1/30/12 9:52 PM
Thanks for everything Ryan! Hope you can get some nice R&R along w/
that R&D..
Re: New gatekeeper Josh 1/30/12 10:29 PM
I remember I was about 5 or so beers to the wind at Node Summercamp hanging out by some sort of dance barn (... ??), and you said "I won't be around forever you know" or some such, and some guy next to me almost lost his shit. Amusing memory. Here is a commemorative song:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKO_1xf0Sjw - congrats Isaac!

On another note, just decided we'll be using Node as our web platform of choice after I sent one of my guys to Node Summit. Glorious!

Josh
Re: [nodejs] New gatekeeper Herry 1/30/12 10:55 PM
i just jumped into nodejs days ago and have fun with it...

Thanks for create it.

Thanks
Herry

Re: [nodejs] New gatekeeper Andrew Chilton 1/30/12 11:35 PM
On 31 January 2012 08:55, Ryan Dahl <r...@tinyclouds.org> wrote:
> Now that the rewrite on top of libuv is largely complete, I am ceding
> my position as gatekeeper to Isaac Schlueter.

Very many thanks Ryan for creating something awesome and for making a
great language like JS into a great tool with Node.

Also, congratulations to Isaacs and thanks for stepping into large
shoes ... it's a good job you have big feet too ... you're prefect for
the role and we as a community can't ask for anyone better. :)

Cheers,
Andy

--
Andrew Chilton
e: chi...@appsattic.com

Re: [nodejs] New gatekeeper Felix Halim 1/31/12 12:37 AM
Thanks, Ryan Dahl!

You've made web development fun again :).

Good luck with your new research projects.
I'm sure you will make yet another breakthrough!

Felix Halim

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 3:55 AM, Ryan Dahl <r...@tinyclouds.org> wrote:
> Now that the rewrite on top of libuv is largely complete, I am ceding
> my position as gatekeeper to Isaac Schlueter. Our energy will now be
> largely focused over the next few months on improving the third party
> module system experience including a website for browsing modules, a
> new addon build system, and binary installations from npm. Isaac is in
> the unique position to bridge the gap between core and external
> modules to ensure a pleasant experience. After three years of working
> on Node, this frees me up to work on research projects. I am still an
> employee at Joyent and will advise from the sidelines but I won't be
> involved in the day-to-day bug fixes. Isaac has final say over what
> makes it into the releases. Appeals for new features, changes, and bug
> fixes should now be directed at him.
>
> --
> Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

Re: [nodejs] New gatekeeper murvinlai 1/31/12 12:52 AM
Thanks for the great work Ryan, and bring us this awesome and exciting thing called Node.js  :)   All the best!
Re: [nodejs] New gatekeeper Outsider 1/31/12 6:21 AM
Thanks for awsome project.
I love it!!!
Outsider
Front-end & Server-side Developer

Twitter : @Outsideris
*************************************************/

Re: New gatekeeper Stephen Veit 1/31/12 6:53 AM
Ryan,

Thanks for Node.js! It is my webserver of choice. Good luck in your
future endeavors!

--
Steve Veit
Re: New gatekeeper Chris Partridge 1/30/12 5:16 PM

Cheers,
Just another fan ;)
Re: [nodejs] Re: New gatekeeper Pedro Narciso García Revington 1/30/12 10:09 PM
Thanks Ryan!

2012/1/31 Le Zhang <le.z...@llzgroup.com>
--
Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

Re: New gatekeeper Abdel Said 1/30/12 5:25 PM
Thank you for the great product.
Re: New gatekeeper GottZ 1/30/12 11:23 PM
i've been watching this since 0.2
i was impressed. i was thinking that i known javascript very well but
you have proven me wrong.
node enhanced my javascript skills and so did some books i bought in
that time.

i was searching for something like this for ages.
i've even poked around with spidermonkey in order to run some of my
applications in javascript. then came v8 and you got this here rolling
pretty well.

i dunno how i could express my mind but but but.. thank you. you sir,
are an enlighter.

time to create a church of nodejs.

"for(;;){check();do();}"
Re: New gatekeeper Darren 1/31/12 10:45 AM
Big thanks, Ryan. Great work on node.  Looking forward to see where
your research projects will lead.

Darren
Re: New gatekeeper edmellum 1/31/12 12:42 PM
Thanks to both of you for all the amazing work. Here's to a bright
future for
Ryan, Issac and Node.
Re: New gatekeeper Robert Gould 1/31/12 3:15 PM
Ryan, thanks for making the world a better place!

On Jan 31, 8:00 am, Ryan <ryanro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, you did an awesome job. Hope hope your time isn't all
> research, relax.
Re: [nodejs] Re: New gatekeeper iwater 1/31/12 5:54 PM
Thanks Ryan, I love node.js !

发自我的 iPhone

在 2012-1-31,6:14,Martin Lundberg <martin....@gmail.com> 写道:

> Thanks Ryan,

Re: New gatekeeper Garrett Wilkin 2/1/12 9:58 AM
This is such a huge milestone for the community.

Thanks to you Ryan for forging ahead to create this project back in the days when we didn't have upload progress bars :)

Isaac, I've been burning through the NodeUp podcasts, and I definitely think you've got the sensible approach that's needed to steer this project forward.

The module system is the primary way for the wider community to participate in node, and getting that part right will really contribute to the long term success of the project.
Re: New gatekeeper Fauzi As 2/1/12 11:32 AM
Long life BDFL! It was such an excitement to see what you guys gone throughout these years, it was such an amazing experiences me and my teams have.

My decent respect for your initiative Node.JS, i will remember this, and good luck on your next 'research' projects. perhaps an 'ipod' gentleman?
New gatekeeper m1k3l 2/4/12 9:23 PM
Thanks Ryan for making this project such a success; what an inspiration for developers all over the world.

Congrats Isaac! Let the fun continues ;-)

Re: New gatekeeper George Snelling 2/6/12 9:30 PM
Ryan,

Only time will tell, but I think historians will count you among those who have have moved the discipline a step forward. You join an august group of engineers who have followed s similar path:  a brilliant insight, an elegant implementation, a select team.  The codebase will have its long run, and will eventually be replaced by something better.  But the ideas embodied in node are with us forever.  You have made the whole world better with your mind and your two hands. Thank you.

-George
Re: New gatekeeper phidelta 2/8/12 5:45 AM
The king is dead; Long live the king!

Thanks to your great leadership, this will not negatively impact the
vibrant nodejs community. It will however positively impact the
personal satisfaction with your daily tasks. So I congratulate you
from the bottom of my heart. Let's have an adequate period of mourning
and then decide where and how to errect proper statuary and memorials.

Oh wait, you have already done so by creating Node. My Bad. ;)
More topics »