Web Literacy standard - introductions

Showing 1-64 of 64 messages
Web Literacy standard - introductions Doug Belshaw 2/7/13 3:56 AM
Hi everyone. I recently set up a new Google Group for Mozilla's upcoming work with the community on a new learning standard for Web Literacy. However, it's probably best in the long-run if this community joins the Webmaker list. :-)

This thread is for people to introduce themselves. If you were on the other group, please copy and paste your introduction from there below. Here's mine:

=====
I'm Doug Belshaw, Badges & Skills Lead for the Mozilla Foundation. I live on the coast in Northumberland, which is the English county between Newcastle-upon-Tyne and Scotland. As well as Open Badges I'm privileged to work on Web Literacies for Mozilla, which is great as the whole area really interests me. I wrote my doctoral thesis on the topic of digital literacy.

I'm really excited to see what kind of people this initiative attracts as well as working towards a useful, tangible end result. :-)

Although I use my GMail address for Google Groups, you can reach me directly here: doug <at> mozillafoundation <dot> org
=====

Doug Belshaw
Badges & Skills Lead
Mozilla Foundation
Re: Web Literacy standard - introductions jane...@adamsmith.ac.uk 2/7/13 4:02 AM
I am Janet Fyfe from Adam Smith College. Currently teaching IT literacy skills including units in Internet and Online Communications and Social Software. I am interested in learning more about this development to see how this might integrate with the courses we currently offer in further education in Scotland.
Re: Web Literacy standard - introductions Alvar Maciel 2/7/13 4:30 AM
I am Alvar Maciel from Argentina. I'm a teacher, and now I'm coordinating the inclusion of digital technologies in a school. We are continuously searching and trying to learn how to use and produce knowledge for the community.
I'ts hard to me explain my job in English so... here is a video :) http://aequalis.esc.edu.ar/tics.html
Re: Web Literacy standard - introductions sjgknight 2/7/13 6:52 AM
I'm Simon Knight (PhD Student), I'm interested in search engines in education, how we think about what they're doing (providing knowledge, etc.) and how students interact with them.  My website (and blog) is http://people.kmi.open.ac.uk/knight/ and I think everyone should watch this video on use of the internet in Danish exams http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8341589.stm
Re: Web Literacy standard - introductions Santiago Ferreira 2/7/13 7:32 AM
Hi,

I'm Santiago Ferreira, I live in Tacuarembo, Uruguay, here I teach in
a technical school, http://www.utu.edu.uy/ html basics and how to
repair a computer to children around 15 to 30 years. Also I work as a
Moodle administrator in the UDELAR http://universidad.edu.uy/

I'm happy and proud to be a ReMo and a Mozillian :)

Here is my blog http://sanux.net/blog/

see you

Santiago

2013/2/7 Doug Belshaw <dajbe...@gmail.com>:
Re: Web Literacy standard - introductions ju...@fabspaces.cc 2/7/13 8:07 AM
Hi,   I'm Juan Gonzalez, a technologist in Toronto, Canada.   I teach programming for the web at the University of Toronto, but I also have two kids who push me to figure out new and innovative ways to teach them technology.    I've developed a series of workshops that use simple fabrication techniques to introduce them to the world of electronics and programming.    That program is called http://FabSpaces.cc  and our most successful workshop is called the "Magic Cubes".   I would love to figure out ways to make sure the things they learn through these workshops are skills that advance them towards a broader digital literacy certification.
Web Literacy standard - introductions ljan...@gmail.com 2/7/13 8:08 AM
I'm Lou Buran.  I teach English Language Arts at a rural high school in Northern California (Corning Union High School). I have been doing work to prepare for the adoption of the Common Core Standards in ELA. I will be teaching new courses that focus on literacy and technology next year. Course work is on http://cuhs.net. I am interested in doing the same type of thinking about technology that I have been doing over the last couple of years in ELA.
Re: Web Literacy standard - introductions Ethan Crawford 2/7/13 8:16 AM
Hi I'm Ethan, and I come from Denver, Colorado, where I work at the DU Graduate School of Social Work as an Instructional Technologist. I'm also a grad student of international studies and GIS. And I work with the University Sustainability Council, where we're just beginning to discuss informational sustainability (and seeking examples of this among academic institutions??).

It's exciting to see Mozilla spearhead this effort in web literacy. As a technologist and knowledge worker (and quasi political scientist), I'm always pleased to see examples of web-literate citizenship, and I'm interested to help the project as I can.

Ethan
@ethang
Re: Web Literacy standard - introductions ohnop...@gmail.com 2/7/13 8:47 AM
Hi all,

I'm Paul Oh, Senior Program Associate with the National Writing Project (http://www.nwp.org and http://digitalis.nwp.org). We're a distributed network of educators who focus on the teaching of writing - in its broadest sense - throughout the United States. I work with on a number of initiatives that involves digital literacies - with educators in school and out engaged in those practices, as well as with other organizations and institutions.

Very interested and appreciative of Doug's work on the Web Literacy standards and looking forward to participating.

-Paul Oh
Re: Web Literacy standard - introductions Will Barkis 2/7/13 9:22 AM
Hi everyone!

Great first call!  I'm Will Barkis and I'm the Project Lead for a partnership Mozilla has with the US National Science Foundation to create a community of practice building high impact applications and services in areas of public benefit like education, public safety and health that are enabled by the ultra fast programmable networks that are beginning to crop up in places like Kansas City with Google Fiber, Chattanooga, TN with their 1 Gbps fiber network, etc.  How can we help people in these communities make new things, learn in new ways, be healthier, happier, and safer using the web of the future?  It's essential that people build up their web literacies as we break down the distances between people and resources of empowerment and knowledge.  Access is so essential.

I'm also very interested in the literacies that we as citizens, lawmakers and policymakers need to make informed decisions about these technologies and their use in society.

Really looking forward to taking this somewhere amazing with everyone else involved!

Will
--
Will Barkis, PhD
Project Lead Mozilla Ignite

Re: Web Literacy standard - introductions fish...@gmail.com 2/7/13 10:02 AM
Hi everyone,

Great to hear about everyone's interests and to meet you all. I'm Tom, based in the UK and also loosely attached to Sussex university in the UK as a research assistant in international education and development, so focusing particularly on education problems in the majority world poorer countries.

I'm also thrilled that Mozilla has taken up this very important challenge and is leading the way and doing such innovative and exciting things with it.  I'm half Australian, and first taught English as a second language for many years and also worked as a literacy teacher particularly with refugees in secondary state schools in Australia. At the moment I am working on a wiki mapping project on open education resources, virtual schools and virtual colleges around the world in different countries which is winding up here:

 http://www.virtualcampuses.eu/index.php/VISCED

I'm interested in looking at literacy from different angles, but I tend to see it as both as a tool for people and as an important part of their realities. I have often seen how fundamental literacy is to empowering people to make the changes they value in their own worlds, and I feel that digital literacy holds the same potential. But I think that this area often gets shallow investment and at least in international education it needs champions (for example globally an organisation like UNESCO has 'held the flame' since the 1950's) to stick together and help each other by making partnerships. Literacy also often gets a rap, often being seen to be treated as a public good of low value. In terms of digital literacy in education, in worst case scenarios this might only focus getting people on-line and using a browser or elementary tools to be I guess 'functionally literate' (and often these concepts can remain unclear in discussions about literacy generally). I think the concept of a framework for web-literacy that could be transformational to people's lives, ties in with ideas about digital citizenship and is about really making learning that is powerful and challenges our expectations of the future is actually an awesome idea (whose time has clearly come :)

So anyway, there is so much going on in Mozilla's work and I'm mainly following Doug's blog and listening in to learn as I go - but at the moment I am not working on anything particularly focusing on web-literacy for now myself.

Cheers

Tom Salmon
Re: Web Literacy standard - introductions Gicela Morales 2/8/13 2:42 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm Gicela Morales. I live in the South West of England, in a village near
Bristol. I've been developing for the web since the 90s and I've been
helping teachers and children in my local primary school creating stuff for
the web. I'm running my first code party for my children and their friends
next week, which I'm very much looking forward to. I hope to find a venue
where I can get reliable wifi and be able to have a larger group of kids -
hard when you live in a village!

Digital literacy should be at the core of the school curriculum and should
start at primary school :)

Best wishes,
Gicela

Gicela Morales
www.gicelamorales.com
@gicela
http://uk.linkedin.com/in/gicela
Re: Web Literacy standard - introductions Michelle Thorne 2/8/13 8:45 AM
Hey Gicela,

Thanks for writing! And best of luck with your first code party.

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 7:42 AM, Gicela Morales <gic...@mexicanwave.com>wrote:

>  I hope to find a venue where I can get reliable wifi and be able to have
> a larger group of kids -
> hard when you live in a village!

On suggestion to try out (and sorry, it's beta) is to use the hashtag
#mozhelp and ask the larger community if someone has a venue in your area
that they can offer.

For example: "I'm running a code party with youth in __ and wondering if
anyone can lend their venue with wifi? #mozhelp"

And we'll help spread the word.

It's a new protocol, but hopefully a useful one!

// m

> Digital literacy should be at the core of the school curriculum and should
> start at primary school :)
>
> Best wishes,
> Gicela
>
> Gicela Morales
> www.gicelamorales.com
> @gicela
> http://uk.linkedin.com/in/gicela
Re: Web Literacy standard - introductions Chad Sansing 2/9/13 5:13 AM
Hello! I'm Chad Sansing. I am a National Writing Project Teacher Consultant/Connected Learning Ambassador. I teach middle school humanities for the Community Public Charter School in Albemarle County, VA, USA. I live nearby in Waynesboro. I'm keenly interested in Web Literacies because I want my kids and students to be able, quite literally, to make what they need out of the future both digitally and materially.

All the best,
Re: Web Literacy standard - introductions ibrar...@gmail.com 2/10/13 1:28 PM
Hi, all

Copy and paste below:

I'm Ibrar and I'm a PhD candidate at the University of Leeds. My study looks at digital literacies of college students and how they use what they have to get what they need in the classroom, when left to their own devices (pun intended). Doug, your EdD thesis is a great resource.

Digital literacies, both as skills and social practices, are key to this in the bricolage of digital literacy practices of learners.

This sounds like a really great project, and I'm interested in knowing how it will complement the work of others such as the New London Group, and also the extent to which the competences outlined in the Mozilla Wiki (https://wiki.mozilla.org/Learning/WebLiteracies) impinge on computer science knowledge, especially at the higher levels.

Great to meet you all, and looking forward to learning and contributing.

Cheers

Ibrar Bhatt

http://ibrarspace.net
https://twitter.com/linguistics12
http://leeds.academia.edu/IbrarBhatt/About
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/ibrar-bhatt/47/b81/976
http://prezi.com/user/ib
Web Literacy standard - introductions dom...@gmail.com 2/12/13 2:28 AM
Hi all - I'm Donal O' Mahony from Dublin, Ireland. I teach in Portmarnock Community School where I am involved in many digital initiatives. I blog frequently at eLearningIsland and  wrote my Masters dissertation around critical thinking in teaching history in online forums.

I am interested in Web Literacy because it means different things to different people! I believe its definition should be dynamic and full of possibilities for practice.

I also think it is important that Mozilla support this initiative - positive baggage!

Donal

Twitter: @domaho
Re: Web Literacy standard - introductions elys...@gmail.com 2/12/13 4:49 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm Elyse Eidman-Aadahl, and I direct National Programs and Site Development for the National Writing Project network in the United States. I'm based in Berkeley, California at the University of California. The NWP is the largest/oldest network of educators in the US focused explicitly on supporting young people as writers/producers, and that means we have a huge interest in digital tools and web literacies since these are tremendously powerful tools for writers/thinkers/content developers to create, circulate, and participate locally and globally.  You can see some of what NWP teachers are doing at our Digital Is community website. We maintain about 190 local sites at housed at universities across the US (and a few abroad) as well as supporting learning opportunities on the Internet. We are pleased to partner with Mozilla Foundation on a range of efforts that involve people in creating, and not just consuming, on the web.

Elyse
Re: Web Literacy standard - introductions Carla Casilli, Badge System Design Lead 2/12/13 3:48 PM
Hello all,

I'm Carla Casilli, Mozilla Web Literacies / Webmaker Badges Lead. Currently I hail from Los Angeles, CA. Previously I headed up the Open Badges project and still love to talk about it, so watch out. :) In this role I'm applying the amazing theory of Open Badges to Mozilla's Web Literacies: to say I'm excited about how this all ties together is an understatement.

I'm also the Mozilla point person for discussions about badge system design. How does all this tie together? Literacies of all sorts fascinate me, e.g., their recursive qualities, their replication, their dissemination, their systemic nature. I'm looking forward to working with all of you to co-create a new standard——a standard that will be expressed through a variety of means but will become social currency through the exchange and use of web literacy badges. To stay abreast of our thinking on the universe of web literacy badges (current goal: a badge system network that acknowledges and includes badges from organizations that align with the new standard) read my blog: http://carlacasilli.wordpress.com

BTW, I use my gmail address here but the best way to reach me is through my work address. Carla at mozillafoundation [dot] org.
Re: Web Literacy standard - introductions Mark Surman 2/13/13 6:34 AM
Mark Surman here. I live in Toronto and work for Mozilla.

I'm excited to be digging into this discussion about what web literacy
means when we break it down. Even more: I want to see how we can
translate that into a series of Mozilla Webmaker badges that anyone can
offer.

Great to see the group forming around this conversation. I'm already
humbled and impressed that such a solid posse is forming.

ms
Re: Web Literacy standard - introductions Tanya Prescott 2/14/13 1:12 AM
Hi I'm Tanya Prescott and I work as a teacher and a learning technologist.  I teach ICT and Politics which is a fascinating combination when it comes to digital literacy and getting students to engage critically with what they find on the web.

I am currently exploring different methods of flip teaching with students as well as mentoring other teachers to embed learning technologies and digital literacy in to their lessons.  This is really interesting too because it opens up a whole new perspective on the issue of web literacy.  I am learning so much in the process.  Sometimes my head hurts too :)  But most of the time I feel privileged to be alive in a time when so much creativity and change is occurring and I am looking forward to seeing how web literacy evolves...

Tanya
@flippedteaching
Re: Web Literacy standard - introductions Dorine Flies 2/14/13 4:31 AM
I'm Dorine, I'm the HR director for ionCube we are in Canterbury East Kent, I'm exploring how to get young people to be "Digital Makers" and web literacy is a massive part of it, especially as an interest based pathway to learning, it's a very powerful needs based reason to engage using tech as the facilitator.

I've committed for 2013 to do a Free "Digital Makers" physical event every 3 months hosted by EPIK, our first large scale event is next week 22nd- 24th FEB 19 IT mentors and 46 young people aged 8 - 25 across 4 East Kent hubs, "Code the world around you" - The aim of that event is not to turn them into coders but for them to experience the process of creating their own WebApp using open data sources, as a tester of what it is to be in our industry including a show and tell, prizes and judges.

I am also starting to invite teachers to also be mentors so that they in turn can bring this back to their schools independently to me knocking at their doors - so far I've had 2 school teachers signed up, interestingly as a result quite a few of their students are also taking part in our Feb event.

For more details http://epik.org.uk/epikwiki/index.php/EPIK_Mentor
http://www.meetup.com/EPIK-UK anyone interested please do join us
Re: Web Literacy standard - introductions Dorine Flies 2/14/13 5:18 AM
On Thursday, 7 February 2013 12:02:56 UTC, jane...@adamsmith.ac.uk  wrote:
> I am Janet Fyfe from Adam Smith College. Currently teaching IT literacy skills including units in Internet and Online Communications and Social Software. I am interested in learning more about this development to see how this might integrate with the courses we currently offer in further education in Scotland.

Hi Janet, have you heard of the YRS (Young rewired State)? They are doing YRS Scotland now http://youngrewiredstate.org, we hosted the first Kent YRS2012 last August, I found the whole thing addictive, it was in part responsible for us committing to doing coding based events every 3 months in 2013 for Kent youths.

One of them especially went from MineCraft to building his own apps at home, age 10 just because we hosted :)
Re: Web Literacy standard - introductions aranu...@gmail.com 2/14/13 9:18 AM
Hello everyone,

I am Anurag Ramdasan. 22 year old computer engineer from India planning to apply for a masters course in US.
I love programming and I try to learn as much as I can online about programming and other related topics.
Re: Web Literacy standard - introductions Kevin Stranack 2/14/13 9:43 AM
Hi everyone,

It has been great to read about everyone's background and interests. My
name is Kevin Stranack and I'm a librarian and educator working on a
variety of online learning initiatives. I'm just starting a new project
that will be developing a new province-wide digital literacy space, a kind
of virtual learning commons, and will rely heavily on the amazing work done
by Mozilla on digital literacy standards, badges, and more. I'm very
excited by the opportunity to work with and learn from all of you in this
new community we're building together.

All the best,
Kevin
@stranack
Re: Web Literacy standard - introductions sil...@gmail.com 2/14/13 10:04 AM

Hi I'm Silona

I live in Austin Texas but I travel a ton.  I have taught for many years on a collegiate level and have recently (because of nieces and nephews) become more involved in k-12 education here in the US.  I helped create the developer site for the Gate Foundation's inBloom project.  And I have created curriculums for developing countries and a technical college.  I am involved in semantic web technologies and bigdata analytics so I like to watch and participate in various web standards.

Once again very happy to see Mozilla getting involved in this!  I also attended the first Drumbeat in Barcelona and LOVED it.

Cheers!
Re: Web Literacy standard - introductions Beth 2/14/13 10:18 AM
Hi, I'm Beth Ayer from Providence RI. I am a web editor with a background in writing and in teaching English/writing. I am mostly interested in web writing standards, website structure/design, and in communicating standards and guidelines to content providers I work with. I am also interested in digital literacy as it relates to reading and writing literacy (new forms of writing, messaging, sharing information, interpreting and understanding). I am joining this group to learn and to see if I have any way of contributing to the project.
unk...@googlegroups.com 2/15/13 1:47 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Web Literacy standard - introductions Martyn Eggleton 2/15/13 1:50 AM
I am Martyn Eggleton from Sheffield England.

I'm Technical Projects Manager @ Access Space ( access-space.org ) we are a creativity focused, peer learning powered, Media Lab that has run for nearly 13 years on FLOSS software & recycled hardware.

We have always struggled to record peer learning and then align that to recognised standards so this initiative is really interesting to us.
Re: Web Literacy standard - introductions Matt Thompson 2/15/13 11:11 AM
Hi, everyone. I'm Matt Thompson from Toronto, aka @OpenMatt.

This year I'll be focusing a lot on Webmaker's storytelling and web presence for mentors --
instructors, educators, techies and anyone interested in helping to spread web literacy.
So I've really been enjoying getting to virtually know you all through this thread. :)

One of the things I'm working on right now is a new mentor page on webmaker.org.
It will link to the web literacy work Doug's been spearheading, plus our our various resources and tools for teaching digital literacy.
i just blogged about it here:

Creating a new webmaker.org page for mentors
http://mzl.la/mentor_page

Looking forward to getting to know you all better this year. :)

--Matt

Re: Web Literacy standard - introductions ojon...@gmail.com 2/15/13 12:46 PM
Hello,

I`m Owain Jones and I`m a Social Studies teacher at an international school in Monterrey, Mexico. I`m originally from Middlesbrough, England. My interest stems from a desire for students to have a visible measure of the progress they have made in developing their web literacy.........
Web Literacy standard - introductions tom salmon 2/15/13 4:38 PM
Hi,

Nice to say hello :) Just to introduce myself, my name is Tom Salmon, I am an ex-literacy teacher and now research assistant in the UK at the university of Sussex. I am looking forward to learning a lot more about the efforts to spread and develop standards for Web-literacy and am excited by the awesome ideas that have been proposed so far. Currently I am working as a consultant on an EU funded project to map Open Educational Resources and investments in infrastructure and e-learning initiatives particularly looking at mapping virtual schools and colleges around the world. The link is here:

The wiki for different countries is here:
http://www.virtualcampuses.eu/index.php/VISCED

I am also joining in with the general discussion and learning going on with the ETMOOC community on Google+ which is looking at Web-literacy next week.

Looking forward to getting to know you all !

Best

Tom