Eric Rescorla, Co-Autor of Extended-Random NSA Backdoor, working for Mozilla

Showing 1-2 of 2 messages
Eric Rescorla, Co-Autor of Extended-Random NSA Backdoor, working for Mozilla lia.n...@googlemail.com 4/2/14 2:20 AM
Reuters reported yesterday that the Extended-Random function that was used as NSA Backdoor was co-written by Eric Rescorla:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/31/us-usa-security-nsa-rsa-idUSBREA2U0TY20140331

Eric Rescorla is working for Mozilla and he's working on the new TLS 1.3:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rescorla-tls13-new-flows-01

Mozilla has declined any comment about this. What do you guys think about that NSA connection? He could be innocent but he also could be involved in this....
Re: Eric Rescorla, Co-Autor of Extended-Random NSA Backdoor, working for Mozilla Sailfish 4/2/14 9:36 AM
My bloviated meandering follows what lia.n...@googlemail.com graced us
with on 4/2/2014 2:20 AM:
It has long been rumored that the reason the US stopped it's suit
against Phil Zimmermann (PGP fame) was that they had already found a way
to easily crack RSA encryption so finding out recently that RSA had used
a easily crackable random number generation system wasn't all that
surprising.

As to Mozilla's (or Eric personally) possible involvement into possible
culpability into newer forms of attack, I would find that highly
unlikely but since I've never code-reviewed his stuff, I can only offer
an opinion.

--
Sailfish