A job queue for Mojolicious

Showing 1-14 of 14 messages
A job queue for Mojolicious sri 3/27/14 7:04 PM
Since the topic keeps coming up pretty regularly around here, my latest project might be of interest to some of you.

The idea is to build a minimalistic resque inspired (but Mango based) job queue, that's very tightly integrated into Mojolicious and therefore easy to learn.

--
sebastian
Re: [Mojolicious] A job queue for Mojolicious Johnny O 3/27/14 7:19 PM

Jonathan Otsuka
Re: [Mojolicious] A job queue for Mojolicious sri 4/1/14 8:11 PM
Minion is still experimental, but i don't expect too many big changes anymore, the 0.05 release should be ready for testing. Certain bigger features like a REST API are still planned, but will have to wait until after Mojoconf.

--
sebastian
Re: [Mojolicious] A job queue for Mojolicious Luc Didry 4/2/14 12:12 AM

Am I right ?

PS: it seems to be a great new tool :-)
--
Luc
http://www.fiat-tux.fr/

Re: [Mojolicious] A job queue for Mojolicious sri 4/2/14 5:07 AM
In the README, you say that it is a "A Mango job queue for the
Mojolicious real-time web framework." but it seems to that it could be
used for any other job queue purpose.

Not sure what you mean by that, does the current description imply certain limitations i'm not aware of?

--
sebastian
Re: [Mojolicious] A job queue for Mojolicious sri 4/2/14 5:40 AM

Since the REST API has to wait, Minion will use a command for now, suggestions for making the output more pretty would be very welcome.

--
sebastian
Re: [Mojolicious] A job queue for Mojolicious sri 4/2/14 9:41 AM
Since the REST API has to wait, Minion will use a command for now, suggestions for making the output more pretty would be very welcome.

After some IRC discussions this is what we ended up with, still rudimentary, but i think it gets the information across.

There's also new options for managing jobs.

--
sebastian
Re: [Mojolicious] A job queue for Mojolicious Andrey Khozov 4/4/14 6:25 AM

Do you have a plan to add non-blocking API for Minion? (at least for enqueue, so you can using Minon in non-blocking Mojolicious projects)
Do you have a plan to add capabilities to daemonize workers?​

--
Andrey Khozov
Re: [Mojolicious] A job queue for Mojolicious sri 4/4/14 7:08 AM
Do you have a plan to add non-blocking API for Minion? (at least for enqueue, so you can using Minon in non-blocking Mojolicious projects)

Already done. :)

Do you have a plan to add capabilities to daemonize workers?​

Not sure yet, but i've recently made some changes in Mojolicious that would make it a trivial addition.

--
sebastian
Re: [Mojolicious] A job queue for Mojolicious Andrey Khozov 4/4/14 7:12 AM

On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 8:08 PM, sri <kra...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Do you have a plan to add non-blocking API for Minion? (at least for enqueue, so you can using Minon in non-blocking Mojolicious projects)

Already done. :)

​Thank you very much!​ :)

--
Andrey Khozov
Re: [Mojolicious] A job queue for Mojolicious Ben van Staveren 4/4/14 7:13 AM
On 04/04/2014 09:08 PM, sri wrote:
>> Do you have a plan to add non-blocking API for Minion? (at least for
>> enqueue, so you can using Minon in non-blocking Mojolicious projects)
>>
> Already done. :)

sri++

Re: [Mojolicious] A job queue for Mojolicious sri 4/4/14 1:48 PM
Do you have a plan to add capabilities to daemonize workers?​

Not sure yet...

Two more points i'm a little unsure about.

a) Events for extensions... so far i've only added very basic ones.

b) Job timeouts... killing the forked process really sucks to do portably, so maybe just a SIGALRM based timeout that emits an event.

    $job->on(timeout => sub {
      my ($job, $child_pid) = @_;
      kill 'KILL', $child_pid;
    });

--
sebastian
Re: [Mojolicious] A job queue for Mojolicious Luc Didry 4/4/14 3:02 PM

Well, this is how I understand the description: the mongoDB url as
argument to the plugin seems to tell "use minion only if you use mongoDB".

But since you don't use Mango in the minion's task in the example, it
seems that you can use Minion for any purpose, not only Mango-related
actions.

It's just a little confusing.

The real question I wanted to ask is : do I need a mongoDB connection
for Minion ?
Re: [Mojolicious] A job queue for Mojolicious sri 4/4/14 3:41 PM
The real question I wanted to ask is : do I need a mongoDB connection
for Minion ?

You do, Minion only works with MongoDB.

--
sebastian