IL Tollway fixes Milemarkers, adds Exit Numbers

Showing 1-28 of 28 messages
IL Tollway fixes Milemarkers, adds Exit Numbers Richard Carlson, N9JIG 10/19/09 3:54 AM
Jon Hilkevitch, www.chicagotribune.com 10-19-09

Illinois tollways: New markers to be posted every quarter-mile instead
of half-mile, 562 million upgrade aims to locate car breakdowns, other
emergencies more easily

It might seem like an expensive exercise in sign clutter to some drivers.

But if your car breaks down on the Illinois tollway, doubling the number
of mile marker signs alongside the roadway will make it easier to let
tow truck drivers know your location.

The effort to post new markers every quarter-mile -- instead of each
half-mile -- is costing more than a half-million dollars.

Such an extravagant endeavor was not a consideration when the world's
first mile-marker stone obelisks, made from granite or marble, were
installed by Roman Empire road builders back when people traveled at
most only a few miles per day.

Officials at the Illinois State Toll Highway Authority said installing
4,500 new signs is money well spent to help drivers involved in
accidents, medical emergencies or any other time when the unexpected
happens.

Tollway officials figured that since all the toll roads are being torn
up and rebuilt as part of the agency's $6.3 billion congestion-relief
program, revamping the mileposts made sense.

For safety reasons, officials don't want motorists getting out of their
vehicles to locate a reference point.

"The tollway, along with the Illinois State Police, tow truck operators
and emergency first-responders all agreed that the quarter-mile spacing
would help customers better identify where they are, especially if their
vehicles are stranded and they need to call for help," said Joelle
McGinnis, spokeswoman for the toll agency.

Old mileage markers denoting the start and halfway point of each mile
are being replaced because they are not compatible with the new signs.
In addition, on some segments of the toll road system, mile post zero is
no longer where it had been since the late 1950s, when the toll
authority opened. We'll tell you where it went later in the column.

The new mileage markers posted at the side of roads indicating positions
on the highway grid also will show the direction of travel and the
shield of the particular interstate highway on the entire 286-mile toll
road system. The old signs only displayed the mileage.

And in what might seem like a geeky debate, tollway officials pondered
whether to show the mileage increments in decimals or fractions to make
it easier on the mathematically challenged.

Fractions are used in the new green-and-white quarter-mile signs.

Mileage markers are spaced every mile, meanwhile, on most
state-maintained roads operated by the Illinois Department of
Transportation.

But there are exceptions. Along the recently rebuilt Kingery Expressway,
where there are limited exits or cross streets to be used as reference
points, mileage markers are spaced two-tenths of a mile apart, according
to IDOT. On the Dan Ryan Expressway, which has numerous cross streets
and exits, half-mile spacing is used for the markers.

Some IDOT markers do use decimals.

"It depends on the highway and how congested or urban it is," said Steve
Travia, IDOT bureau chief of traffic for the Chicago area.

On some highways in Wisconsin, mile markers are posted each tenth of a
mile. At most areas on the Illinois tollway system, under the new sign
program, eight signs per mile appear in each direction (four markers
near the right shoulder and four along the median), for a total of 16
markers each mile.

At a cost of $125 to manufacture, each quarter-mile marker at the toll
authority sign shop in Naperville comes out to $2,000 a mile on the
majority of the system, or about $562,000 for the entire tollway system.

Toll authority officials say the cost is worthwhile. They also contend
it's not a case of sign pollution, even though nobody complained about
being given up for lost when the markers were previously posted every
half-mile.

The conversion has been completed on the Reagan Memorial Tollway
(Interstate Highway 88), except in remaining construction zones, and on
the Veterans Memorial Tollway (Interstate Highway 355).The Tri-State
Tollway (Interstate Highway 294), including the Edens Spur (Interstate
Highway 94), will be re-marked by December, officials said. It will be
followed by the Jane Addams Tollway (Interstate Highway 90) in 2010.

The toll authority is altering the location of milepost zero in some
cases in order to resolve mile-marker inconsistencies at the junctions
where toll roads and state highways meet.

Since the tollway began operations in 1958, the markers on the Tri-State
began at zero at Illinois Highway 394 near the Indiana border and
increased heading north. That part will remain the same up to the Edens
Spur in the north suburbs.

But under the new system, Tri-State mileage markers will start at zero
at the Wisconsin state line and increase moving south to the Spur. The
numbers will match up with the existing numbering on the Edens
Expressway and provide consistency with the federal interstate numbering
system, McGinnis said.

There's more. The Tri-State, which had been designated a north-south
road since its opening in 1958, will now be labeled on signs as an
east-west route on the I-94 portion.

The same reversal of mileage markers will occur next year on the Addams.
Mile post zero will be at the Wisconsin border, and the numbers will
increase in the direction toward the terminus of the Addams at the
Kennedy Expressway near O'Hare International Airport. Currently, mile
post zero on I-90 is near O'Hare, and the numbers increase going north
to the Badger State.

Also by next year, the toll authority will implement a new numbering
system to mark exit ramps. The numbers at the exits will correspond to
the mileage at the location. The name of the connecting roadway will
continue to be displayed, officials said.

Contact Getting Around at jhilk...@tribune.com or c/o the Chicago
Tribune, 435 N. Michigan Ave., Chicago, IL 60611. Read recent columns at
chicagotribune.com/gettingaround

Re: IL Tollway fixes Milemarkers, adds Exit Numbers Stop-IL-TollwayRipoffs 10/19/09 4:39 PM
On Oct 19, 5:54 am, "Richard Carlson, N9JIG" <use...@usenet.net>
wrote:
> Jon Hilkevitch,www.chicagotribune.com10-19-09

>
> Illinois tollways: New markers to be posted every quarter-mile instead
> of half-mile, 562 million upgrade aims to locate car breakdowns, other
> emergencies more easily
>
> It might seem like an expensive exercise in sign clutter to some drivers.
>
> But if your car breaks down on the Illinois tollway, doubling the number
> of mile marker signs alongside the roadway will make it easier to let
> tow truck drivers know your location.
>
> The effort to post new markers every quarter-mile -- instead of each
> half-mile -- is costing more than a half-million dollars.

Truely pathetic that a 290 mile system has its own sign shop, pure
featherbedding...JG

Re: IL Tollway fixes Milemarkers, adds Exit Numbers rsh...@gmail.com 10/19/09 10:12 PM

and you are insane

the tollway system has to have 600 major interchanges with thousands
of exit signs, overhead and ground mounted structures

not to mention thousands of regulatory and warning signs

it is much cheaper for them to do signage in house rather then
contracting it out

why do you spew this ignorant garbage of which you know nothing

Re: IL Tollway fixes Milemarkers, adds Exit Numbers Mukade 10/19/09 10:52 PM
On Oct 19, 6:54 am, "Richard Carlson, N9JIG" <use...@usenet.net>
wrote:
> Jon Hilkevitch,www.chicagotribune.com10-19-09
>
> Contact Getting Around at jhilkevi...@tribune.com or c/o the Chicago

> Tribune, 435 N. Michigan Ave., Chicago, IL 60611. Read recent columns at
> chicagotribune.com/gettingaround

I noticed the mile markers back in early August. The Reagan (I-88)
even has some signs with exit number tabs. I have some pictures I took
on this page:
http://www.highwayexplorer.com/il_EndsPage.php?id=3088&section=1


Re: IL Tollway fixes Milemarkers, adds Exit Numbers David Sturm 10/20/09 10:30 AM
Fractions!?!?  The MUTCD standards allow for .1 and .2 of a mile
easily.

Instead of 4 per mile, they'd just need to put 5 per mile.

Why in the world do operations like IL Tollway operate like kings,
without regard to MUTCD standards and get away with it?

Re: IL Tollway fixes Milemarkers, adds Exit Numbers rsh...@gmail.com 10/20/09 1:27 PM


what exactly are yiou complaining about?

have you nothing else to worry about

you realize yoyu are talking nonsense when bridges go for millions

Re: IL Tollway fixes Milemarkers, adds Exit Numbers Stop-IL-TollwayRipoffs 10/22/09 3:53 PM
On Oct 20, 12:12 am, "rshe...@gmail.com" <rshe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 19, 7:39 pm, JG <jgrov...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> > On Oct 19, 5:54 am, "Richard Carlson, N9JIG" <use...@usenet.net>
> > wrote:
>
> > > Jon Hilkevitch,www.chicagotribune.com10-19-09
>
> > > Illinois tollways: New markers to be posted every quarter-mile instead
> > > of half-mile, 562 million upgrade aims to locate car breakdowns, other
> > > emergencies more easily
>
> > > It might seem like an expensive exercise in sign clutter to some drivers.
>
> > > But if your car breaks down on the Illinois tollway, doubling the number
> > > of mile marker signs alongside the roadway will make it easier to let
> > > tow truck drivers know your location.
>
> > > The effort to post new markers every quarter-mile -- instead of each
> > > half-mile -- is costing more than a half-million dollars.
>
> > Truely pathetic that a 290 mile system has its own sign shop, pure
> > featherbedding...JG
>
> and you are insane
>
> the tollway system has to have 600 major interchanges with thousands
> of exit signs, overhead and ground mounted structures

600 interchanges ?? on a 290 mile system ?? Not bloody likely, and how
many signs need to be replaced each day ?? This is one function that
should be merged with IDOT operations.

Re: IL Tollway fixes Milemarkers, adds Exit Numbers rsh...@gmail.com 10/22/09 5:17 PM

so you know so much, take the Tollway map and count 'em up

> many signs need to be replaced each day ??

not that the signage has to be replaced every day, but when they do
need to be replaced, they don't have to let a contract like IDOT does.

You realize that IDOT lets sign replacement contracts even though they
have sign shops


 This is one function that
> should be merged with IDOT operations.

you are not going to save anything, and what IDOT dist do you want it
to become part of?

1 which already has all of Cook Co?

2 which goes all the way to Moline?

a special IDOT Dist?

Re: IL Tollway fixes Milemarkers, adds Exit Numbers michael e dziatkowicz 10/22/09 8:44 PM
why didn't the tollway do this when they replaced the signs as part of the
widening/rebuild project systemwide? Wouldn't that have been easier and
cheaper since they were replacing all of the signs anyways?

"Richard Carlson, N9JIG" <use...@usenet.net> wrote in message
news:usenet-A001CD.05545919102009@news.eternal-september.org...

Re: IL Tollway fixes Milemarkers, adds Exit Numbers Larry Sheldon 10/22/09 8:50 PM
michael e dziatkowicz wrote:
> why didn't the tollway do this when they replaced the signs as part of
> the widening/rebuild project systemwide? Wouldn't that have been easier
> and cheaper since they were replacing all of the signs anyways?

An example of a self answering question.

Think!  Illinois!  Tollways!  Where did you get the notion that they
wanted to save money?

--
Requiescas in pace o email              Two identifying characteristics
                                              of System Administrators:
Ex turpi causa non oritur actio        Infallibility, and the ability to
                                              learn from their mistakes.
Eppure si rinfresca

ICBM Targeting Information:
        http://tinyurl.com/4sqczs
        http://tinyurl.com/7tp8ml
        

Re: IL Tollway fixes Milemarkers, adds Exit Numbers Stop-IL-TollwayRipoffs 10/23/09 2:06 PM
On Oct 22, 7:17 pm, "rshe...@gmail.com" <rshe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 22, 6:53 pm, JG <jgrov...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> > On Oct 20, 12:12 am, "rshe...@gmail.com" <rshe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > On Oct 19, 7:39 pm, JG <jgrov...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > > On Oct 19, 5:54 am, "Richard Carlson, N9JIG" <use...@usenet.net>
> > > > wrote:
>
> > > > > Jon Hilkevitch,www.chicagotribune.com10-19-09
>
> > > > > Illinois tollways: New markers to be posted every quarter-mile instead
> > > > > of half-mile, 562 million upgrade aims to locate car breakdowns, other
> > > > > emergencies more easily
>
> > > > > It might seem like an expensive exercise in sign clutter to some drivers.
>
> > > > > But if your car breaks down on the Illinois tollway, doubling the number
> > > > > of mile marker signs alongside the roadway will make it easier to let
> > > > > tow truck drivers know your location.
>
> > > > > The effort to post new markers every quarter-mile -- instead of each
> > > > > half-mile -- is costing more than a half-million dollars.
>
> > > > Truely pathetic that a 290 mile system has its own sign shop, pure
> > > > featherbedding...JG
>
> > > and you are insane
>
> > > the tollway system has to have 600 major interchanges with thousands
> > > of exit signs, overhead and ground mounted structures
>
> > 600 interchanges ?? on a 290 mile system ?? Not bloody likely, and how
>
> so you know so much, take the Tollway map and count 'em up

About 105, grand total.

Ronald Reagan Memorial Tollway I-88
Interchange Westbound Entrance Westbound Exit Eastbound Entrance
Eastbound Exit

East End
I-290 (Eisenhower Expressway) YES  YES
Tri-State Tollway, I-294 YES  YES YES
York Road YES   YES
Spring Road (22nd St.) (Plaza 53)  YES YES
Illinois 83  YES YES
Midwest Road (Plaza 55)    YES YES
Highland Avenue (Plaza 56)  YES YES YES YES
North-South Tollway (I-355) YES YES YES YES
Odgen Avenue (U.S. 34) (Plaza 81) EB Off / WB On  YES   YES
Ogden Avenue (U.S. 34) EB On   YES
Illinois 53   YES  YES
Naperville Road (Plaza 57)  YES YES  YES  YES
Winfield Road (Plaza 58)  YES  YES  YES  YES
Illinois 59  YES  YES  YES YES
Farnsworth Avenue (Plaza 59)  YES  YES  YES YES
Illinois 31 (Plaza 63)  YES YES  YES YES
Orchard Road (Plaza 64)  YES YES  YES  YES
IL-56 to U.S. 30 and IL-47   YES YES
Illinois 47  YES    YES
Peace Road (Plaza 65)  YES  YES YES  YES
Annie Glidden Road (Plaza 67)  YES YES YES  YES
I-39 / U.S. 51 / Rockford YES YES  YES YES
Illinois 251 / Rochelle YES  YES YES  YES
IL-26 / Dixon YES  YES  YES  YES
U.S. 30  YES YES
West End


Tri-State Tollway I-94/I-294
Interchange  Northbound Entrance Northbound Exit Southbound Entrance
Southbound Exit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

North End
U.S. 41 / I-94 Wisconsin   YES YES
Russell Road YES YES YES YES
Rosecrans Road (Illinois 173)   YES YES
Grand Avenue (Illinois 132)  YES YES YES YES
Milwaukee Ave. (Illinois 21)  YES   YES
Belvidere Road (Illinois 120)   YES YES
Buckley Road (Illinois 137) (Plaza 20)  YES YES YES YES
Rockland Road (Illinois 176)   YES YES
Townline Road (Illinois 60) (Plaza 22)  YES YES YES YES
Half Day Road (Illinois 22) (Plaza 23)  YES YES YES YES
Deerfield Road   YES YES
Lake-Cook Road (Plaza 26)  YES YES YES YES
Waukegan Rd (IL-43) / Edens Spur  YES   YES
I-94 (Edens Expressway) / Edens Spur  YES   YES
Willow Road (Plaza 27)  YES YES YES YES
Golf Road (Illinois 58) (Plaza 28)  YES   YES
U.S. 12-14 / Dempster St.  YES YES
Touhy Avenue  YES YES
I-190 YES YES YES YES
Balmoral Ave.    YES
Irving Park Road (Illinois 19)  YES   YES
I-290 / U.S. 20 / Lake St. / Illinois 64  YES via I-290 YES via I-290
I-290 ( Eisenhower Expressway) YES YES YES YES
Roosevelt Rd. (Illinois 38)   YES YES
Cermak Rd. YES   YES
Ronald Reagan Memorial Tollway, I-88 YES   YES
Ogden Ave. (U.S. 34) YES YES YES YES
Wolf Road  YES YES
I-55 (Stevenson Expwy) (Plaza 37)  YES YES via LaGrange Rd YES
75th St. / Willow Springs Rd (Plaza 34)  YES YES YES YES
US 12-20 / La Grange Rd   YES
U.S. 12-20 / 95th Street (Plaza 38)  YES YES YES YES
Cicero Av (IL 50) / 127th St. YES YES YES YES
U.S. 6 / 159th Street (Plaza 40)  YES YES YES YES
Interstate 80 (Plaza 43)  YES YES YES YES
Interstate 80 (Plaza 45) YES YES YES YES
Dixie Highway    YES
Wood Street  YES
Halsted Street / IL-1 (Plaza 47)  YES YES YES YES
I-80/I-94/Illinois 394 (Kingery Expressway)  YES   YES
South End

Veterans Memorial Tollway, I-355
Interchange Northbound Entrance Northbound Exit Southbound Entrance
Southbound Exit

North End
Army Trail Road  YES YES YES YES
North Avenue (Plaza 75)  YES YES YES YES
Roosevelt Road/IL-38 (Plaza 77)  YES YES YES YES
Butterfield Road/IL-56 (Plaza 79)  YES YES YES YES
Ronald Reagan Memorial Tollway, I-88 YES YES YES YES
Ogden Avenue (U.S. 34)  YES YES YES YES
Maple Avenue (Plaza 83)  YES YES YES YES
63rd Street (Plaza 85)  YES YES YES YES
75th Street (Plaza 87)  YES YES YES YES
Boughton Road
(Plaza 90)  YES YES YES YES
I-55  YES YES  YES YES
127th St.
(Plaza 93)  YES YES YES YES
Archer/143rd St.
(Plaza 95)  YES YES YES YES
159th St./IL7
(Plaza 97)  YES YES YES YES
U.S. 6
(Plaza 101)  YES YES YES YES
I-80 YES   YES
South End

Jane Addams Memorial Tollway, I-90
Interchange Westbound Entrance Westbound Exit Eastbound Entrance
Eastbound Exit

North End
Rockton Road / I-90 Wisconsin  YES YES YES YES
IL 173 YES YES YES YES
East Riverside Blvd. YES YES YES YES
Bus. U.S. 20 / Rockford YES YES YES YES
Cherry Valley / I-39 YES YES YES YES
Genoa Road YES YES YES YES
U.S. 20 (at Marengo-Hampshire) YES YES YES YES
Illinois 47  YES YES
Randall Road (Plaza 8)  YES YES YES YES
Illinois 31 (Plaza 11)  YES YES YES YES
Illinois 25 (Plaza 13)  YES YES YES YES
Beverly Road (Plaza 16B)   YES YES
Illinois 59 (Plaza 14/16A)  YES YES YES YES
Barrington Road (Plaza 10)   YES YES
Roselle Road (Plaza 12)   YES YES
I-290 / Illinois 53 (Plaza 15)  YES YES YES YES
Arlington Heights Road (Plaza 18)  YES YES YES YES
Elmhurst Road   YES YES
Lee Street / Illinois 72   YES YES
Devon Avenue YES
O'Hare Int'l Airport    YES
Tri-State Tollway, I-294 YES YES YES YES
I-90(Kennedy Expwy) YES

>
> > many signs need to be replaced each day ??
>
> not that the signage has to be replaced every day, but when they do
> need to be replaced, they don't have to let a contract like IDOT does.
>
> You realize that IDOT lets sign replacement contracts even though they
> have sign shops
>
>  This is one function that
>
> > should be merged with IDOT operations.
>
> you are not going to save anything, and what IDOT dist do you want it
> to become part of?

The same way they handle statewide stuff, out of Springfield.


Re: IL Tollway fixes Milemarkers, adds Exit Numbers michael e dziatkowicz 10/25/09 7:47 AM
oh yeah, I forgot they are in the business for raising tolls and leaving
common sense behind.
"Larry Sheldon" <lfsh...@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:7kcngvF37chl4U1@mid.individual.net...
Re: IL Tollway fixes Milemarkers, adds Exit Numbers Free Lunch 10/25/09 9:23 AM
On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 10:47:11 -0400, "michael e dziatkowicz"
<mnm...@verizon.net> wrote in misc.transport.road:

>oh yeah, I forgot they are in the business for raising tolls and leaving
>common sense behind.

But, don't forget, they run really cheap toll roads and have the biggest
discount for general uses who use electronic tolling.

Re: IL Tollway fixes Milemarkers, adds Exit Numbers Rick Powell 10/25/09 11:17 AM
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------­-----> The same way they handle statewide stuff, out of Springfield.- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

Darn...I was hoping District 3 would get the 18 miles in DeKalb
County.  It would be an easy stretch.

RP

Re: IL Tollway fixes Milemarkers, adds Exit Numbers rsh...@gmail.com 10/25/09 5:07 PM

>
> About 105, grand total.
>

so that is about 300-400 ramps maybe more

and that does not include regulatory and warning signs

but you know what the best thing about all your bitching and moaning
is

you have absolutely NOTHING to do with anything,

NOTHING

other then bitching and moaning on mtr, you cannot do anything


>
>
>
> > > many signs need to be replaced each day ??
>
> > not that the signage has to be replaced every day, but when they do
> > need to be replaced, they don't have to let a contract like IDOT does.
>
> > You realize that IDOT lets sign replacement contracts even though they
> > have sign shops
>
> >  This is one function that
>
> > > should be merged with IDOT operations.
>
> > you are not going to save anything, and what IDOT dist do you want it
> > to become part of?
>
> The same way they handle statewide stuff, out of Springfield.

as per usual, you have NO idea what you are talking about

none whatsoever

firstly, all sign replacement for Dist 1 is handled by contract

all sign replacement that is required as a result of knockdowns is
done by contract on an as needed basis

the state wide sign shop in springfield does not handle structural
items as those are done by contract

Re: IL Tollway fixes Milemarkers, adds Exit Numbers michael e dziatkowicz 10/25/09 9:47 PM
And ALL of those signs have been changed in the past 3 or 4 years because
of the entire tollway being reconstructed and widened. I still don't know
why they didn't do this then. I mean they had to know they were going to
number the exits. They could have allowed the contractors to put the tabs on
and use the left over blank metal to cover the tabs until they decided to
remove the covers and number the exits.
<rsh...@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:aeba3bed-9001-4658-8760-4290b2e9f830@e34g2000vbc.googlegroups.com...
Re: IL Tollway fixes Milemarkers, adds Exit Numbers rsh...@gmail.com 10/25/09 11:09 PM
On Oct 26, 12:47 am, "michael e dziatkowicz" <mnm...@verizon.net>
wrote:

>  And ALL of those signs have been changed in the past 3 or 4 years because
> of the entire tollway being reconstructed and widened. I still don't know
> why they didn't do this then. I mean they had to know they were going to
> number the exits. They could have allowed the contractors to put the tabs on
> and use the left over blank metal to cover the tabs until they decided to
> remove the covers and number the exits

here Mike

http://www.illinoistollway.com/pls/portal/docs/PAGE/TOLLWAY/NEWSROOM/NEWSROOM_FOIA/FOIA_GUIDELINES_01_2007.PDF


make a foi req and let us know what they say

Re: IL Tollway fixes Milemarkers, adds Exit Numbers Stop-IL-TollwayRipoffs 10/26/09 1:51 PM
On Oct 25, 10:23 am, Free Lunch <lu...@nofreelunch.us> wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 10:47:11 -0400, "michael e dziatkowicz"
> <mnm...@verizon.net> wrote in misc.transport.road:
>
> >oh yeah, I forgot they are in the business for raising tolls and leaving
> >common sense behind.
>
> But, don't forget, they run really cheap toll roads and have the biggest
> discount for general uses who use electronic tolling.
>

Doubled tolls for cash payers is unwarranted and not connected to the
extra costs for handling cash.
And 6 employees for every mile is pathetic.

Re: IL Tollway fixes Milemarkers, adds Exit Numbers rsh...@gmail.com 10/26/09 2:02 PM

oh, boo hoo, I don't want to get IPASS, I just want to bitch and moan,
bitch and moan, bitch and moan

and you are free to never use the tollways

then just think, you get a totally free ride

Re: IL Tollway fixes Milemarkers, adds Exit Numbers Stop-IL-TollwayRipoffs 10/26/09 2:56 PM

Just return a fraction of the area's road taxes to provide the same
level of service Peoria and Moline get. Hint: even IDOT Ferries are
FREE. Not to mention all the FREE expressways around Metro STL on the
IL side...JG

Re: IL Tollway fixes Milemarkers, adds Exit Numbers rsh...@gmail.com 10/26/09 3:30 PM

lets see now,

how long after snow does it take IDOT to clear those FREE expwys??

late 1950's, Chicago had  COMPLETED interstate bypass AND completed
interstate to Rockford AND WI

and all you do is whine and bitch and moan

Re: IL Tollway fixes Milemarkers, adds Exit Numbers Stop-IL-TollwayRipoffs 10/27/09 3:23 PM
> and all you do is whine and bitch and moan- Hide quoted text -

>
> - Show quoted text -

Mr. Kozel said it best:
"As usual, you discuss posters and personalities, to avoid discussion
of
the highway topics in question."

And IDOT does a fine job of plowing the Chicago expressways, in many
cases being clear when Metra and Pace have major delays. My last trip
on an IL tollway in snow (outside of rush hour) was a skating rink.

Re: IL Tollway fixes Milemarkers, adds Exit Numbers rsh...@gmail.com 10/27/09 3:33 PM

and all you do is bitch and moan about things you have nothing to do
with, no part of

the tolls on the tollway, no matter how you feel are going no where
but UP.

and if it is a choice between believing you or the Chicago Tribune on
the fallacies of IDOTand snow plowing, well guess who I don't believe

I am waiting for the next round of Tollway toll hikes

which again there is nothing you can do about except bitch and moan

bitch and moan, bitch and  moan, bitch and moan

that is all you do

Re: IL Tollway fixes Milemarkers, adds Exit Numbers rsh...@gmail.com 10/27/09 3:37 PM

and what does metra or pace have to do with what we are talking about

other then Pace using IDOT maintained streets

Re: IL Tollway fixes Milemarkers, adds Exit Numbers rsh...@gmail.com 10/27/09 3:39 PM

and my suggestion would be to substantially raise the tolls and
substantially raise the state gas tax for transit

Re: IL Tollway fixes Milemarkers, adds Exit Numbers rsh...@gmail.com 10/27/09 3:43 PM
On Oct 27, 6:23 pm, JG <jgrov...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 26, 5:30 pm, "rshe...@gmail.com" <rshe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> > On Oct 26, 5:56 pm, JG <jgrov...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > On Oct 26, 3:02 pm, "rshe...@gmail.com" <rshe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > > On Oct 26, 4:51 pm, JG <jgrov...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > > > On Oct 25, 10:23 am, Free Lunch <lu...@nofreelunch.us> wrote:
>
> > > > > > On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 10:47:11 -0400, "michael e dziatkowicz"
> > > > > > <mnm...@verizon.net> wrote in misc.transport.road:
>
> > > > > > >oh yeah, I forgot they are in the business for raising tolls and leaving
> > > > > > >common sense behind.
>
> > > > > > But, don't forget, they run really cheap toll roads and have the biggest
> > > > > > discount for general uses who use electronic tolling.
>
> > > > > Doubled tolls for cash payers is unwarranted and not connected to the
> > > > > extra costs for handling cash.
> > > > > And 6 employees for every mile is pathetic.
>
> > > > oh, boo hoo, I don't want to get IPASS, I just want to bitch and moan,
> > > > bitch and moan, bitch and moan
>
> > > > and you are free to never use the tollways
>
> > > > then just think, you get a totally free ride
>
> > > Just return a fraction of the area's road taxes to provide the same
> > > level of service Peoria and Moline get. Hint: even IDOT Ferries are
> > > FREE. Not to mention all the FREE expressways around Metro STL on the
> > > IL side...JG
>
> > lets see now,
>
> > how long after snow does it take IDOT to clear those FREE expwys??
>
> > late 1950's, Chicago had  COMPLETED interstate bypass AND completed
> > interstate to Rockford AND WI
>
> > and all you do is whine and bitch and moan- Hide quoted text -
>
> > - Show quoted text -
>
> Mr. Kozel said it best:
> "As usual, you discuss posters and personalities, to avoid discussion
> of
> the highway topics in question."
>


mr kozel, huh???


nut job like you

and another ineffectual poster who whines and bitches and moans and
can do nothing

tollway toll hikes are coming, and other then bitching and moaning you
can do nothing

Re: IL Tollway fixes Milemarkers, adds Exit Numbers Stop-IL-TollwayRipoffs 10/27/09 3:46 PM
> > And IDOT does a fine job of plowing the Chicago expressways, in many
> > cases being clear when Metra and Pace have major delays. My last trip
> > on an IL tollway in snow (outside of rush hour) was a skating rink.
>
> and what does metra or pace have to do with what we are talking about
>
> other then Pace using IDOT maintained streets- Hide quoted text -

>
> - Show quoted text -

Some people have a choice to drive or take Metra in snow storms, and
many times the expressways have been plowed clear when Metra has
switching and loco issues.
And IL plates are going to $99 from $79, so more money for FREE
bridges to STL.

Re: IL Tollway fixes Milemarkers, adds Exit Numbers rsh...@gmail.com 10/27/09 3:53 PM

presuming you live in Chicago land, enjoy paying for them

I am sure everyone in StL metro east appreciates your contributions
from Cook Co

and btw, you never, ever have to get off an expwy on to a city street
that has not been plowed

that is a really newt trick

More topics »