Feature Requests

Showing 21-102 of 102 messages
Feature Requests Deadwing 10/5/11 8:49 AM
Will has done some fine work in getting this as polished as it currently is, but there is always room for improvement.  Here are some suggestions for features I've thought of while playing around with MineOS Crux in preparation for moving from my WinXP setup to MineOS.

1.  WebUI should have controls to allow you to reboot or shutdown the MineOS server.  Having to telnet to the server is a PITA

2.  A more robust Import system.  Having to SCP files to /home/mc/import is a PITA.  Why can't the WebUI send the file to the server?

3.  A server monitor for all running Minecraft servers with email notification and auto-restart if one or more servers is unresponsive.

I'll post more as I think of them.

Re: Feature Requests NickJF 10/5/11 9:02 AM
I thought there already was an upload button for the maps ?

A reboot / shutdown button would present a rather large security risk (possibly optional)

Monitor would be pretty cool !
Re: Feature Requests Deadwing 10/5/11 9:07 AM
As far as I know, and according to the docs, it's up to you to get your tar.gz into the /home/mc/import directory via SFTP or SCP (I forget which).  From there, the Import button will extract it to the right place and add it to the server inventory, but it's still up to the user to manage to get his tarred world onto the MineOS server.

How would reboot/shutdown present a security risk?
Re: Feature Requests Will 10/5/11 9:37 AM

1.  WebUI should have controls to allow you to reboot or shutdown the MineOS server.  Having to telnet to the server is a PITA
I've never really felt like SSHing into the server was all that difficult, but for something as infrequent as rebooting the server (which considerably shouldnt happen more than once a day), I feel like it isn't so much a PITA to do.  If rebooting your server is something you want EVERY day, then thats where crontabs + "restore on reboot' address, so you can have the benefits of a freshly rebooted server without having to act.

As a side note, 'security risk' might seem farfetched because its only restarting, but MOST CERTAINLY its a violation of the standard security model.  Unprivileged users (read as: non-root users and non-sudo'ed shells) should not have the capability to reboot/shutdown the server.  I provided a means in the wiki to do this, for the many people who have asked to not have to sudo, but even that is a less-than-ideal method.  Without this method, the 'mc' user (which is what hiawatha/web-ui run as--doesn't have sufficient rights to reboot the server. In other words, adding it to the webui is pointless without this shutdown modification, but adding the shutdown modification to out of the box installs is something I dont intend to do...thus having reboot on the webui still has waaaay too much work ahead in authentication and idiot-proof UI before it could ever be considered.

2.  A more robust Import system.  Having to SCP files to /home/mc/import is a PITA.  Why can't the WebUI send the file to the server?
It's not practical (or desirable) to upload files through ANY webui, MineOS or not.  Most people are accustomed to uploading  ~3MB photos to facebook or something, but thats a long ways from some people's 50-200-500 megabyte archives for importing.  Since HTTP upload doesn't come with really any safeguards from bad uploads, its not an ideal protocol.

There are UI interface options, like that which youtube uses (the 'advanced java uploader'), but this again I think it is facilitating laziness to add this to MineOS--rather than get users accustomed to using Linux-standard methods of SFTP through filezilla or winscp.

3.  A server monitor for all running Minecraft servers with email notification and auto-restart if one or more servers is unresponsive.
A server monitor would be especially nice, but that would require writing up a whole linux daemon, which (although I've planned out such a thing), cannot hope to see the light of day until I make many other changes I have in the works, like the new UI.
Re: Feature Requests Deadwing 10/5/11 10:09 AM
Thanks for your reply.

1.  I don't run my server 24/7 so a shutdown is something I do every day.  I didn't understand the security config you were using, but your explanation makes perfect sense.  I'd even be happy if the power button gracefully shut down the server instead.

2.  I understand that HTTP is crap for data transfer but I had a hard time initially when trying to figure out how to get my WinXP world into MineOS.  I have intermediate-level Linux skills.  I couldn't figure out how to mount a USB drive (I didn't even see it anywhere under /dev/...)  I tried to FTP but that failed as there is no FTP server installed.  I had to dig deep in the wiki to find out that you're using an SCP/SFTP server instead.  I tarred and gzipped my world and uploaded them then tried the Import function.  This complained that there was something wrong with my .tar.gz file structure or something similar.  I manually copied the file and then ran tar xvz on it and it happily uncompress the world.  Then MineOS told me the world was not clean and to clean it.  No matter what I did, the server wouldn't start and kept telling me the world was unclean and to clean it.  I think I deleted the md5 files and tried again and eventually got it going, but the point was that it was a painful process from start to finish.

3.  You could hack together a cheap little shell script that uses cron to check server status every n minutes and react accordingly but it would admittedly be a kludge until you wrote a proper daemon for it.

Re: Feature Requests Will 10/5/11 12:42 PM

1.  I don't run my server 24/7 so a shutdown is something I do every day.  I didn't understand the security config you were using, but your explanation makes perfect sense.  I'd even be happy if the power button gracefully shut down the server instead.

I'll look into what kind of options can be done for saving/closing on shutdown.  As is, I believe that APCI shutdown could be worked with on rc.shutdown to try to stop all servers. That could effectively allow 'pushbutton off' to do a safe, non corrupted shutdown; so we'll see.

[...]

Well, in this case, if you werent able to import via the import function with the tar in the correct directory, the same issue would have arisen even via HTTP upload.  The point is, with the numerous ways it is possible to archive (zip, tar.gz) a file, if the file format doesn't match, it wouldn't work via any upload method.  I provided instructions on how to take it from a linux machine, and ways to verify its validity (linked from the main wiki page http://minecraft.codeemo.com/buildmineos/index.php/Importing_a_world), but bottom line is it should match the ultimate file structure:

/home/mc/servers/servername/
/home/mc/servers/servername/server.properties

You could just as well uploaded the files individually using SFTP and the penultimate effect is the same.  One thing to keep in mind is I hope youre doing all this as 'mc' and not root--all minecraft related actions need to be done as mc.  If files are owned by root, they cant be changed by mc, which is the most common cause of being unable to clean a server--user mc is unable to modify/write to root owned files.

3.  You could hack together a cheap little shell script that uses cron to check server status every n minutes and react accordingly but it would admittedly be a kludge until you wrote a proper daemon for it.

You can already make a script like this easily in a crontab: http://minecraft.codeemo.com/buildmineos/index.php/Crontabs

The problem is that unless you have a way to better determine if a server is down, such a script may not always detect server crashes. That is to say, a crashed minecraft java instance doesnt kill the process--it just hangs (process becomes zombie, thus checking if the process is open/closed isnt good enough).   I use the 'existence of lock file' method which has its ups and downs, so it depends on the crash.  Some crashes will delete one or both locks.  These crashes will work with a simple script.  If the crash doesnt delete at least one lock, these scripts wont work.  A daemon would suffice in addressing this, but thats not likely in the near future with my being the only solo programmer.

soooo...
Re: Feature Requests Deadwing 10/5/11 1:03 PM
Thanks again.

Please bear in mind that my preceding suggestions were off the top of my head and all selfishly motivated ;)  Feel free to laugh at and discard anything that sounds stupid.

1.  That would be awesome.  When it's midnight and I'm tired and want to go to bed, having to shutdown the MOS server is a nuisance.  Push a button and walk away is a much nicer solution ;)

2.  I think it was me running as root that might have explained some of the funny that was going on.  I'm doing all this in a virtual environment so that I have a slight clue before I try to replace my physical server.  If I wreck my world my son will make plans to put me in the crooked retirement home he saw on 60 Minutes...

3.  Hmm, too bad an MC instance doesn't have a heartbeat for you to poll.  I wonder if any of the mods like Bukkit have implemented such a thing?
Re: Feature Requests Will 10/5/11 2:36 PM
I completely forgot that I actually made a mineos-script 'service', in the vein of sshd or hiawatha or dhcpd--I dont expect it to get much use (though it is thoroughly useful) because with services you don't get on-screen feedback upon startup.

In other words, right now as you start mineos, the servers are started with a line in the startup script 'rc.local'--if all goes well or if anything goes wrong, you'd get output to the screen.

With services, you dont get any output--and also it adds 15 seconds to starting up services--which some people could misconstrue as stalling.

Regardless, you can take a look in the /etc/rc.d/ directory for this script.  To use it, you'd remove the entry in rc.local and you'd add the service to the end of rc.conf---off the top of my head I dont remember what the script is called.....'admind(?)'...'mineos(d)?'...anyways it'll be clear when you see it. And ill look it up to confirm and ill add it to the wiki. Services start at startup and stop upon shutdown, so this closely matches what youre asking for with easy shutdown.

I'll take a look
unk...@googlegroups.com 10/26/11 5:53 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Feature Requests Jack Kleeman 11/7/11 5:48 AM
How about restarting the server after a crash. I've been trying to
create a script to loop mineos_admin.py start one but its a crude
method.
Re: Feature Requests SBHouse 11/9/11 2:58 PM
Will,

Would love to see a PHP server status page either out of the box on a
new install or as an addon that I could have visible to my players.
Perhaps a /var/www/hiawatha/status/ location.

This site seems to contain the instructions.  If I felt strong enough
in PHP, I'd give it a shot.  But I'm nowhere close to this.

PHP Tutorial: Minecraft Server Status Page
http://betterphp.co.uk/playlist.html?pid=189D521B7F50382D

- SBHouse
Re: Feature Requests Matthew Smollinger 1/2/12 8:25 AM
Two Requests:

1) The ability to view the mineos log file, or at least download it
from the webui. Just spent an hour trying to figure out what was wrong
with my server, only to find out I had a "--XX..." instead of "-XX"
prefixing a java command.

2) I only saw that issue because I'm familiar with Java command line
argument syntax. Anyone who isn't won't see that as an issue, but the
server will still fail to start. Plus, anything more insidious going
on with Java will also not get logged. In my case, executing the
command yields a very verbose Java error:

Unrecognized option: --XX:+DisableExplicitGC
Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.

So perhaps there should be a way to enable Java logging from the
WebUI, and a path to where stuff is logged out to? (Forgive my
ignorance if this exists already, but I can't find it on the wiki if
it does).

Thanks, and as always, loving MineOS Crux

--Matt--
Re: Feature Requests cineh...@gmail.com 1/10/12 5:01 PM
Will there ever be an option to customely put in plugins for a bukkit server throug the web UI? Such as having a list of plugins for each server, and all the user needs to do is pop in a direct download link and a name and they can download the plugin and it will automatically put it into that servers plugin folder if it is a Bukkit server.
Re: Feature Requests Will 1/11/12 3:30 PM
1) Viewing the MineOS Log file is a terrific idea, which I should have included to start--even though most people would never need to use this, the few that do it would save quite a bit of time.  It's always unpleasant to run into java-related issure, rather than Minecraft related issues and have nothing to go on, from it.

This may be easy enough (or rather, it IS easy enough to implement), but I havent spent much time in dev recently with the new job and the hundreds of other things I've been caught up in.  Luckily, as this is a UI-feature, it might be much easier, seeing that these are updated directly from the web-ui.

Bump this in a few days and remind me, because often I get sidetracked!
Re: Feature Requests jgarci...@gmail.com 1/11/12 8:17 PM
I think you should include a function to do pretty much everything through the webUI like add bukkit plugins, delete old/test servers, maybe even a little file explorer and text editor (vi can be really complicated for some people).

I'm also ok with the logs. it would make figuring out why something isn't working and posting in these forums much easier.
Re: Feature Requests NRoach44 1/11/12 9:01 PM
Will doesn't do the whole delete servers thing because how easy it would be to accidentally delete the main server, or someone who really shouldn't be using the UI to delete a server.
Re: Feature Requests Will 1/12/12 6:52 AM
The programming involved in working with files en masse (file explorers) is so large that often large groups of people attempt to tackle it .  Sometimes, it's only one person, but also that person has had an overwhelmingly larger amount of time (for example, the available addon 'extplorer' is maintained by one person, but was a project started in january 2007).

For me to attempt to reinvent the wheel and tes tit and ensure its usability--and more importantly, file safety--is a task much too much for me to take on, sadly.  With a full time job and a number of other involvements, creating a file explorer (where many already exist) doesn't seem the best appropriation of time.

That said, I have responded many times to requests to have bukkit-integration, which I have turned down on account of my solo-dev work would go much to waste (presumably) in the future.  With a modding API, theres a good chance much about how things will be configured and installed will not be aligned with how it is now, and how I would automate it in a web-ui.  And while these tasks are pretty commonplace, well documented, and (in my opinion) standard fare for being an admin, I opt not to go down that road in dev-work. In over a year that MineOS has existed, unfortunately, I have received practically zero help on development from either a web-ui/OS/scripting standpoint.  I have handled it pretty gracefully (I think), but in the end it just means that the features like these cannot be added in a timely, quality fashion.
Re: Feature Requests Jon M Garcia 1/12/12 9:10 AM
that makes sense. I don't have the hardware to run our server so we've decided to let someone who is not that technically apt be the host. I've had to hold his hand through a lot. It took us nearly an hour to get a proper static IP set.

MineOS wouldn't happen to be compatible with MCMyAdmin would it? because that would be quite handy.
Re: Feature Requests Will 1/13/12 1:05 PM
I have never installed McMyAdmin on MineOS, but according to my server-hardware logging a number of people have installed it successfully.  Using the CRUX packaging system, they installled MONO and then McMyAdmin and voila, I hear.
Re: Feature Requests ErusPrime 1/20/12 1:57 PM
Since you can dump logs to the console, how difficult would it be to actually display other logs like /usr/games/minecraft/mineos.log or the mineos.config inside the webui?
Re: Feature Requests Matthew Smollinger 1/20/12 3:05 PM
Will actually answered that if u read his earlier post. I had asked
for something similar.

Matt
Re: Feature Requests Jon M Garcia 1/20/12 3:06 PM
so he did. There's a lot of requests here and I get them on my phone so it's hard to sift through all of it.
Re: Feature Requests Glitch 2/1/12 3:05 PM
Couldn't you try to put input of an invalid command such as "/ping" into the console, and if it doesn't return anything, force the server to restart.
unk...@googlegroups.com 2/25/12 3:26 PM <This message has been deleted.>
unk...@googlegroups.com 2/25/12 3:27 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Feature Requests skinny...@gmail.com 2/25/12 3:29 PM
I would like to have permissions EX admin page as on option under each of the server here is how i added the pages to mineos crux this would be very easy to script i am just having trouble figuring out the admin section of the web site

##Make Database;##
1.) create a db for the permissions named perm_servername
      mysql -u root -p

      CREATE DATABASE (perm_dbname);
      CREATE USER '(perm_username)'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY '(perm_password)';
      GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON (perm_dbname).* TO '(perm_username)'@'%';
      exit;

##Permissions setup##
1.) Put permissionsex in the plugin folder
2.) Start/Restart your server. Permissions folder will be created inside the plugins folder
3.) Edit "config.yml" to read as follows:
permissions:
    log-players: false
    backends:
        sql:
            driver: mysql
            uri: mysql://localhost/(perm_dbname)
            user: (perm_username)
            password: (perm_password)
    backend: sql
    superperms:
        parent-nodes: true
        enable: true
        strict-mode: false
    createUserRecords: false
    allowOps: false
    debug: false
    basedir: plugins/PermissionsEx

4.) Restart your server. Tables should now have been created in your database.

##Create WEB INTERFACE ##
1.) create needed dirs
mkdir /var/www/hiawatha/permissions
mkdir /var/www/hiawatha/permissions/(servername)

2.) cd to /var/www/hiawatha/permissions/(servername)
git clone http://github.com/NINJ4/wipeX.git
mv wipeX/wipeX/* .
rm -rf wipeX/
nano wipeX_config.php

change
define("SIMPLE_PASSWORD", "DEFAULT");                      //The password to use for Simple Security module.
define("MCMYSQL_SERVER", 'localhost');                                          // Server for database
define("MCMYSQL_USER", 'minecraft-user');                                       // Username for database
define("MCMYSQL_PASS", 'password');                                             // Password for database
define("MCMYSQL_DB", 'minecraft-db');

define("SIMPLE_PASSWORD", "(web login passwd)");                      //The password to use for Simple Security module.
define("MCMYSQL_SERVER", 'localhost');                                          // Server for database
define("MCMYSQL_USER", '(perm_username)');                                       // Username for database
define("MCMYSQL_PASS", '(perm_passwd)');                                             // Password for database
define("MCMYSQL_DB", '(perm_dbname)');

Re: Feature Requests Rashaln 3/11/12 5:11 AM
I'd like to see a few additions to the web console, some more likely than others.

I'd like to be able to set increments in the Archive/Backup/Map fields. In the past I have used a Bukkit Plugin to back up a world every half hour, and to archive it every two hours. With something like that, it'd be nice to be able to prune the archive directory as well, but it's not necessary. In fact, none of what I'm addressing is necessary, just convenience.

I'd also like to be able to modify the few other config files that come with Minecraft. Being able to view and modify banned-ips.txt, banned-players.txt, ops.txt and white-list.txt would be great. In fact, if the web UI were in some way able to dynamically detect any configuration files at all in the server directory, that would be excellent, though I doubt it's in any way reasonable.

As a final thing, it'd be nice to be able to filter the console display. Sometimes I just don't want to see what everyone's been talking about, and want to know if my server's been crying out in pain recently. On the topic of the console, could it be set load scrolled to the bottom and not the top, perhaps as a preference?

I thank you for any consideration you might give.
Re: Feature Requests Will 3/12/12 12:53 PM
I'll address each one in-line.

On Sunday, March 11, 2012 5:11:23 AM UTC-7, Rashaln wrote:
I'd like to see a few additions to the web console, some more likely than others.

I'd like to be able to set increments in the Archive/Backup/Map fields. In the past I have used a Bukkit Plugin to back up a world every half hour, and to archive it every two hours. With something like that, it'd be nice to be able to prune the archive directory as well, but it's not necessary. In fact, none of what I'm addressing is necessary, just convenience.

 The available intervals in the web-ui were chosen with a fairly particular reason, some are technical, some are 'political' (if one could call it that, or just my own imposed reasoning).
  1. hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly are standard interval crontabs with linux-meaningful definitions. Since these crontabs already exist on nearly every linux distro, it felt prudent to mirror this in the web-ui
  2. the server-ui is run by 'mc', where crontabs are ruled by 'root'.  This means that hiawatha cannot arbitrarily allow user input in the web-ui to adjust crontab behavior.  The current configuration is that each of these crontabs run ALL the time (at each interval/frequency) and actions (such as backups) only occur if the corresponding value matches in the individual server's server.config.
  3. In other words, assuming the mc-root barrier was not an issue, the only way to have more variety in crontabs in the web-ui is to A) hardcode more values, e.g., half-hour, every four hours, every six hours) or B) allow user input such as '6', and then see if that value is a multiple of the current time.  However, bad values inputted (that I can't sufficiently predict and clean) would end up nullifying ALL crontabs -- and accidentally putting in a bad value and having 0 crontabs go seems a lot more dangerous.
So basically, the work then becomes 'how well can the web-ui sanitize input and ensure the user gets the desired crontabs?'.  Note, the question can never be 'how can I input into the web-ui to always backup at 6 pm' because then theres even MORE room for error.  Thus, a combination of laziness and safety has drawn me to leave it at these crontabs exactly and to encourage users to do their very specific, very particular crontabs using the prescribed crontab method outlined in the wiki, that matches how crontabs work on all linux distros.

And as far as my own politics goes, I believe that such frequent backups and archives are not only unnecessary, but detrimental. The following paragraph is purely opinion and speculation:
  • backups should never have to occur at half hour frequencies.  This suggests that there's something wrong with the OS or the server that you need to safe-guard at expensive 30 minute increments.  Given the new existing file format, anvil, too, this will become even more expensive to have going on every half hour.  Now, chunk-commits certainly can be done at 30 minute increments--maybe even more frequently--but full-scale rdiff backups are excessive computationally, even if not space-wise.
  • Archives, too, should never have to occur more often than daily.  The point of rdiff-backup is that you can backtrack with great precision and at noticeably lower hdd cost by backing up only what changes.  That is, archives should never be accessed (they get archived) unless you have pruned off backups or backups have failed.  Having two hour archives is especially expensive, in CPU-cycles, hard drive space, and hard-drive seek time (which will affect game performance).
I am particularly reluctant to add half-hour increments for just this reason: if admins use this interval without understanding the performance ramifications, they suffer later HDD out-of-space issues, regularly scheduled slowdowns, and see MineOS as the culprit.

I'd also like to be able to modify the few other config files that come with Minecraft. Being able to view and modify banned-ips.txt, banned-players.txt, ops.txt and white-list.txt would be great. In fact, if the web UI were in some way able to dynamically detect any configuration files at all in the server directory, that would be excellent, though I doubt it's in any way reasonable.

Editing these files can be  done 'directly' (though not as directly) via the console interface in the web-ui.  Although this is notably less convenient than having the whole file show up and act like Notepad, it does provide a means to the end, assuming you can't already just use SFTP to edit the file locally using SFTP text editor and save/autoupload.

There are also concerns about character sets and endlines which might come up when people are given textboxes and copy/paste-ability (where endlines are irrelevant on single line inputs, like the currently provided)

As a final thing, it'd be nice to be able to filter the console display. Sometimes I just don't want to see what everyone's been talking about, and want to know if my server's been crying out in pain recently. On the topic of the console, could it be set load scrolled to the bottom and not the top, perhaps as a preference?

I thought the console already did scroll to the bottom?  That particular functionality took me ages to figure out, since there is apparently convoluted JS to have to do what should be such a simple task.  But I can't think of any way to filter the console display--its a straight injection of  the last 200 lines of logs, which isnt parsed in any way--simply transplanted in there.

I thank you for any consideration you might give.

I have suspicions that my posts in this thread tend to sound exceedingly lazy, but to that I also have a response: Unlike my heavy involvement and development of the past, changes to the  current UI affect greater and greater numbers of people, while I have no infrastructure to deploy 'test' changes.  That is, way more than a simple majority of users don't want to risk losing almost all access to the web-ui when I make a simple off-by-one error or fail to catch an error, which is what happened in the past with ultra-regular updates of large functionality changes.

Since I don't want to put these people's web-ui at risk (by them having them report the issue to me to fix it, then update via SSH, since the web-ui cant update itself), I've resigned to only critical fixes rather than feature-updates. I encourage anybody who has any python ability who makes tweaks and feature additions to submit the code to me (which i'd happily test/clean/improve and deploy), but as these particular suggestions all have SSH ways to do, it's unlikely to occur (sorry!).

if you're curious on how to filter using SSH, I'd happily show you the 'grep' piping command.

Will
Re: Feature Requests Rashaln 3/13/12 1:29 AM
Before I address what you've said, I'll note that I'm an artist, at best I've dabbled in basic HTML. I have adapted to applying basic logic to understand how some coding languages work, but I still apply the "code is magic!" thought-process to any ideas I have.

I understand the unwillingness of compromising the ease of use and fool-proof nature. I know that the first thing I did when I tried out the Crux build of MineOS was to input a world name with a space in it, and then spend much time figuring out why it did not work properly. (I realized what I'd done when I tried to start the server via command-line.)
My claim of half hour increments was shaky, my memory, much like my server's, is terribly finicky. When I consider it, a backup interval is probably unnecessary as, the way I understand it, archives force a save anyway. I do disagree on the 'once a day' claim for archives. I'm more comfortable with two or three times, especially if that's the only backup. Having a timeline to restore to is much nicer to have, and as long as you have the HDD space, I see it as almost requisite. But that really has nothing to do with suggestions for MineOS at this point.

I assume by "directly" you mean with the console commands, such as "whitelist username." I'm very familiar with that, I was just looking for the possibility to at least just look at the contents of the whitelist without having to SFTP in, something which I do. Being able to edit them isn't something I'd consider necessary. Though, being able to view and edit something like Bukkit.yml through the web-ui would be nice. Of course, if it meant a custom rule for various different configs used in various different things, as I assume it would (You're not dynamically parsing server.properties or anything, I assume) that it's probably not worth it.

The console doesn't scroll to the bottom for me, but then who knows what the cause is. I'm running the beta channel of Firefox, and Chrome is constantly informing me that my profile is unusable because I downgraded from beta without deleting the profile, by accident.
Would it not be possible to not display lines containing certain characters or character sets? <*> (where * is a wildcard) could almost reliably filter out all player chat.

Heh, don't come across as lazy to me, you made a custom-tuned OS for running MineOS as a non-commercial time expenditure. And really, asking users to justify their suggestions is just a time-honored tradition, at this point.

Oh post why do you need to be so many words. All I wanted to do was make a small reply, not write an essay, why are you not more succinct?
Re: Feature Requests Will 3/13/12 7:59 AM

My claim of half hour increments was shaky, my memory, much like my server's, is terribly finicky. When I consider it, a backup interval is probably unnecessary as, the way I understand it, archives force a save anyway. I do disagree on the 'once a day' claim for archives. I'm more comfortable with two or three times, especially if that's the only backup. Having a timeline to restore to is much nicer to have, and as long as you have the HDD space, I see it as almost requisite. But that really has nothing to do with suggestions for MineOS at this point.

This is actually kinda the point I'm hoping to address.  With backups, you can make 48 backups a day (30 minute increments) which will end up being cheaper in HDD space than 3 archives a day.  Because of the design of rdiff-backup, there is an optimization made in which files to restore without compromising the ability to restore--in this case, you'd have 16 times as many restore points using backups vs archives.  (http://minecraft.codeemo.com/adv_features.html)  That said, given you'd then be able to restore to 30 minute precision from within the web-ui, archives daily would be the most you would probably want.

Re: Feature Requests Rashaln 3/13/12 7:31 PM
Ahh, of course! When I ever used backups, I assumed that, from a cursory glance at the folders, it was a singular backup of the world at the point it was run. I was never even remotely aware that it was incremental as well! I get myself in more trouble that way, really. rdiff meant nothing yo me, you see, now that you explained it, its meaning is far more clear, and now that I've looked it up, it's entirely foolish that I never did. I'm not hurting in relation to disk space, I have an entire 130GB drive dedicated to the server, but I think I'll be using the backups from now on, just to save the overhead.
Re: Feature Requests zifu 3/16/12 2:52 PM
Hi Will,

Posting this here since this seems to be feature requests page.

I just found this awesome Minecraft/iOS integration app called Adminium that hooks into Bukkit enabled servers via JSON: http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/admn-info-jsonapi-v3-4-5-json-http-and-socket-api-for-controlling-a-server-1-1-r6-1-2-rc0-2.14270/

Only downside to it is that you can't use some of the features on a MineOS installation without serious modification.   Starting/stopping the server through Adminium requires the 'RTK_JSON' Toolkit, which is a launcher that responds to start/stops from the iOS app.   Since these devs have already created a great UI, and I know you hate coding UIs, maybe you could get with them to do some type of MineOSCRUX/Adminium integration?

Thanks,
Zifu

On Wednesday, October 5, 2011 8:49:38 AM UTC-7, Deadwing wrote:
[...]

Re: Feature Requests bobb...@gmail.com 3/18/12 4:15 PM
1. While I'm not sure if this is even feasible, a way to put single-player maps on the server? If there is a way and I'm not aware of it someone please tell me.
2. An easier way to install mods
3. Perhaps the development of a "portable" version(not booting from a flash drive but just running something on the flash drive)

On Wednesday, 5 October 2011 08:49:38 UTC-7, Deadwing wrote:
[...]

Re: Feature Requests Rashaln 3/18/12 11:05 PM
On Sunday, March 18, 2012 6:15:31 PM UTC-5, bobb...@gmail.com wrote:
1. While I'm not sure if this is even feasible, a way to put single-player maps on the server? If there is a way and I'm not aware of it someone please tell me.
2. An easier way to install mods
3. Perhaps the development of a "portable" version(not booting from a flash drive but just running something on the flash drive)

"Easier" world importing was already covered, and denied, I'm sorry to say. Using SFTP isn't terribly difficult, and is superior.

On Wednesday, October 5, 2011 11:37:42 AM UTC-5, Will wrote:
2.  A more robust Import system.  Having to SCP files to /home/mc/import is a PITA.  Why can't the WebUI send the file to the server?
It's not practical (or desirable) to upload files through ANY webui, MineOS or not.  Most people are accustomed to uploading  ~3MB photos to facebook or something, but thats a long ways from some people's 50-200-500 megabyte archives for importing.  Since HTTP upload doesn't come with really any safeguards from bad uploads, its not an ideal protocol.
Re: Feature Requests bwbio...@gmail.com 4/2/12 7:57 PM
I think that there should be the ability to upload a custom minecraft_server.jar file (for those of us using modified versions, in order to use smp mods).
Re: Feature Requests Will 4/2/12 8:30 PM

On Monday, April 2, 2012 7:57:52 PM UTC-7, bwbio...@gmail.com wrote:
I think that there should be the ability to upload a custom minecraft_server.jar file (for those of us using modified versions, in order to use smp mods).

There is no means to upload the file itself through the UI, but you would instead use SFTP.
If you upload your modified jars to /usr/games/minecraft, the jars will be immediately usable within the web-ui. This way, you can have any number of modified server jars which you can easily toggle between, simply by stopping the server.

Re: Feature Requests bwbio...@gmail.com 4/3/12 10:35 AM
Oh, that's great to know. Thanks :D
Re: Feature Requests Nicolas Masters 4/16/12 6:52 AM
Great! This was the information I was looking for :)

Is possible to use another name or does it have to have a standard name? (like minecraft_server.jar)

Op dinsdag 3 april 2012 05:30:43 UTC+2 schreef Will het volgende:
Re: Feature Requests Will 4/16/12 10:51 AM
It's actually advised to use unique names:  http://minecraft.codeemo.com/mineoswiki/index.php/Bukkit#Non-recommended_builds

minecraft_server.jar is meant only for the current, recommended official build.

All other jars should be named to describe their version so you have an easier time with the web-ui and knowing which you're applying.
Re: Feature Requests Will 6/6/12 10:58 AM
I'm now writing a whole 0.5.0 revamp.  Basically, due to somewhat myopic design, as more and more users of MineOS wanted to use more and more mods, I had to keep updating too many areas to accommodate (e.g., tekkit).

By writing from the ground up, I hope to make this future-mod proof by providing a solid framework for dynamically adding and modifying mods via the web-ui.  Basically, in the end, the mineos.config and server.config files will determine what shows up on the web-ui, rather than hard-coded ones.

So, where 'minecraft, bukkit and canary' are the options that show up now, when it comes to file checking, downloading, etc, there will be a value like
[mineos]
managed_mods = minecraft,bukkit,tekkit,mypersonalmod, mysecondmoddedjar
managed_directories = /home/mc/dynmap,

This in turn will show these options in the web-ui, sparing you from unwanted info and displaying previously unlisted info (like being able to decide which directories to show megabyte footprints for).

In addition, things like permissions checks will be implemented, attempted to autofix from the script itself, and give more useful logging info.

Lastly, it should introduce the capability of writing plugin-scripts.  That is, somewhere in here i'll provide a safe way to access and execute python scripts, such as with:

./mineos_console.py plugin emptylogs
./mineos_console.py plugin dynmap serverone
./mineos_console.py plugin logparser

I'm sure other things will come up too, seeing the new scripts being written by Shaun McCarty. My true goal here is to write up so good a framework that contributing developers can write plugins and override_methods rather than have to deal with the mineos.py file at all, which should make for cleaner code, less buggy, and easier to debug code.
Re: Feature Requests Jon M Garcia 6/6/12 11:51 AM
Awesome.
From: Will <wdchr...@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 10:58:06 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Feature Requests
Re: Feature Requests SBHouse 6/7/12 10:43 AM
This is exciting, Will!  Can't wait!
Re: Feature Requests Gabriel 6/8/12 9:19 PM
That's great news. That ought to make it easier for me to test out mod configurations, as I tend to get pretty heavy with them, and with that comes incompatibilities.
Re: Feature Requests Martin Ramshøj 6/9/12 6:20 AM
This just sound absolutely great :)
More flexibility is always great!
I can't wait to get to mess around with this!

- Martin
Re: Feature Requests trout121234 6/12/12 8:28 AM
So then you are saying that tekkit will be compatible, and be able to be chosen via the Web -UI?

On Wednesday, June 6, 2012 1:58:06 PM UTC-4, Will wrote:
Re: Feature Requests Will 6/14/12 9:56 AM
On Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:28:23 AM UTC-7, trout121234 wrote:
So then you are saying that tekkit will be compatible, and be able to be chosen via the Web -UI?

Yes, but it'll actually even be more extensible than that.  How things look to be working out is you'll be able to create server profiles, which get assigned to each server.

So, you might have two profiles [vanilla] and [tekkit] and any given server will be one of them, which you can switch back and forth at will.

Or you might have:

[bukkit104] [bukkit105] [tekkit30] [tekkit31]

Which means that old jars are left alone and can be switched to easily for plugin-testing. One thing to keep in mind though, while the jars and their accompanying files will be isolated, the plugins directory remains static, so all four above profiles would use the same /home/mc/servers/myserver/plugins.
Re: Feature Requests trout121234 6/25/12 2:48 PM
Well see what if I want to have two separate servers have different plugins?
Re: Feature Requests Will 6/25/12 7:31 PM
That's how it has always been and still is.
Re: Feature Requests ad...@reviews.wox.org 7/3/12 12:02 AM
Wow i am behind here.  New scripts sound exciting. Well
Interesting more than exciting.  But ye.

Question - will the new scripts be fully updatable from the
webadmin, or as what appeared to happen on the last update,
a file here or there has to be manually dropped in?

Also Will -
as was suggested in a few places i read - could you perhaps
by default include a rule in iptables restricting the number
of ssh connection attempts to one a minute or even 30 seconds.

I have already done that on mine.    But reason I ask is ive
been eyeing off my auth log off and on last few weeks, and
it appears there is a lot of bruteforce attempts going on -
and not all from the same person.  Seems to be pretty common
"background" noise any time I have an ssh server - so that
setting it a common sense one in my mind.  (short of adding
a rule restricting ssh to only my IP address)

There is no danger since they are trying to break the root
account or random stuff like the nobody account, none of
which have ssh access, it just bugs me they can make that
many attempts in a minute!
Re: Feature Requests David Emahiser 12/4/12 4:04 AM
2 requests.

1, allow us to upload through the server's web UI, this would be super sweet for if we're off site, or simply don't want to spend the first 5 hours of having said server trying to figure out how to transfer these files ( which I have been trying to do, and have yet to succeed at)

2. allow us to manage and upload pluggins to and from the web UI. ideally, never having to access the server directly would be cool.

On Wednesday, October 5, 2011 10:49:38 AM UTC-5, Deadwing wrote:
Will has done some fine work in getting this as polished as it currently is, but there is always room for improvement.  Here are some suggestions for features I've thought of while playing around with MineOS Crux in preparation for moving from my WinXP setup to MineOS.

1.  WebUI should have controls to allow you to reboot or shutdown the MineOS server.  Having to telnet to the server is a PITA

2.  A more robust Import system.  Having to SCP files to /home/mc/import is a PITA.  Why can't the WebUI send the file to the server?

3.  A server monitor for all running Minecraft servers with email notification and auto-restart if one or more servers is unresponsive.

I'll post more as I think of them.

Re: Feature Requests Zone 12/4/12 6:51 AM

On Tuesday, December 4, 2012 6:04:41 AM UTC-6, David Emahiser wrote:
2 requests.

1, allow us to upload through the server's web UI, this would be super sweet for if we're off site, or simply don't want to spend the first 5 hours of having said server trying to figure out how to transfer these files ( which I have been trying to do, and have yet to succeed at)

2. allow us to manage and upload pluggins to and from the web UI. ideally, never having to access the server directly would be cool.

On Wednesday, October 5, 2011 10:49:38 AM UTC-5, Deadwing wrote:
Will has done some fine work in getting this as polished as it currently is, but there is always room for improvement.  Here are some suggestions for features I've thought of while playing around with MineOS Crux in preparation for moving from my WinXP setup to MineOS.

If you can connect through SSH you can just as easily contact through FTP with a program like WinSCP.  Check out the YouTube tutorials. The purpose of Will, creating mine OS is to teach you how to use Linux not  just simply another minecraft tool.
Re: Feature Requests Zone 12/4/12 6:53 AM

I have after request in the future could you add the ability to edit/delete profiles?

I'm sure this would come with some complications if the server is using one of those profiles, but it's up to you if you want to implement it.
Re: Feature Requests jesusthekiller 12/31/12 7:16 AM
I want a way to delete Profiles-at-a-Glance, as zone said :3
Re: Feature Requests jesusthekiller 1/1/13 2:20 AM

On Tuesday, December 4, 2012 1:04:41 PM UTC+1, David Emahiser wrote:
2 requests.

1, allow us to upload through the server's web UI, this would be super sweet for if we're off site, or simply don't want to spend the first 5 hours of having said server trying to figure out how to transfer these files ( which I have been trying to do, and have yet to succeed at)

2. allow us to manage and upload pluggins to and from the web UI. ideally, never having to access the server directly would be cool.

Re: Feature Requests Todd Ferguson 1/7/13 9:51 AM
Like to setup RSync for the backups.

Re: Feature Requests Will 1/7/13 10:52 AM
?
Re: Feature Requests Todd Ferguson 1/7/13 11:19 AM

sorry I tried to cancel that post.  I'd like to have more configuration of R-diff to do off server/network backups.  I'm limited to a 10GB ssd, and its a small amount of space for backups.  I'd like to set it up to backup to another server or a different folder.

Todd
Re: Feature Requests Alwyn 1/24/13 12:30 AM
Mount another drive, move backup folder to drive. Create symlink from folder on other drive to default backup location.
That should work :P

Op maandag 7 januari 2013 20:19:19 UTC+1 schreef Todd Ferguson het volgende:
Feature Requests Lemystere Man Carlo c 5/15/13 7:36 PM
Two words
Mobile site
Live update console makes my phone a little loopy
Re: Feature Requests Dan Klenczar 5/15/13 10:03 PM
1. Button to delete server with some sort of confirmation or announcement of intent

2. Button to delete profiles
unk...@googlegroups.com 5/21/13 10:26 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Feature Requests F Weers 5/21/13 10:29 PM
Hey,

Mineos is cool, but maybe a restart option for your minecraft server? With the option for daily restart the minecraft server? That would be cool!

Re: Feature Requests Ian M. Melsom 6/20/13 5:45 AM
I would like MineOS to have a system for virtual hosts for a multi server system, instead for using only ports.

Example.
On your MineOS server you run three Minecraft servers; Main, Testlab and KidsPlayground.  for your users it would be easier to use main.example.com, testlab.example.com and kidsplayground.example.com instead for example.com:25565, example.com:25566 and example.com:25567.

How?
MineOS need to listen on port 25565, and based on the sent hostname open a minecraftserver on the relevant port. MineOS would then be responsible for the hostname to servernambe:port translation.
Re: Feature Requests Will 6/20/13 8:12 AM
I don't believe this is possible, but I may be mistaken.  Name-based virtual hosts would be a terrific idea, but I believe the way they work is strictly on a server-based implementation, not simply a DNS one.  That is, hiawatha (already installed) can respond to several domains or sub-domains because the hostname is sent to the server as part of the HTTP headers. Hiawatha, in response, recognizes the hostname and does the appropriate mapping to the directory of your choosing.

But we see that this is a function of hiawatha, the service itself.  I believe that in order for your three minecraft server scenario, it would require minecraft server software to recognize inbound traffic and redirect accordingly.  At this time (nor do I believe it to be planned), I do not think this is functionality minecraft has built in.  Minecraft, for example, I imagine would not use HTTP headers, which is the vessel in which domain/subdomain information is transferred.  In other words, unless the minecraft protocol supports this information being sent and the server software itself has a way of parsing and redirecting, ports are the only way you can multi-host minecraft servers.
Re: Feature Requests Ian M. Melsom 6/22/13 6:38 AM
Hi again Will.

I did some research. since the 1.3 minecraft update minecraft supports SRV records in DNS. Follow link for information :http://servers.withalan.com/dns-srv-records-for-minecraft/

This means that for those of us who own (and use) our own domain name, we can with some DNS setup work around the port-system and let the DNS server handle it all:D

I still feel that a virtual host based system within mineraft would have been a simpler solution, but with the SRV-record it is at least possible :) (and it moves the entire problem out of MineOS ;) )
Re: Feature Requests Raymond Townsend 8/18/13 4:15 PM
I am not sure if anyone knows about free DNS, but I am making use of no-ip which allows you to words instead of ip addresses like google.com. I would think it would make a great addition to add a link in somewhere or make documentation on how to take good use of free DNS.
Re: Feature Requests Brian Lowery 8/18/13 5:19 PM
I have been using them for about 18 months. In the last 4-6 months, i have not been able to get my friends outside my network to connect without the ip address.
I have not made any changes to it, it just not sending with the no-ip address.

This is the video that I used about 2 years ago.

it worked for me, up until about 6 months ago.

Brian L

On Sunday, August 18, 2013 4:15:39 PM UTC-7, Raymond Townsend wrote:
I am not sure if anyone knows about free DNS, but I am making use of no-ip which allows you to words instead of ip addresses like google.com. I would think it would make a great addition to add a link in somewhere or make documentation on how to take good use of free DNS.
Re: Feature Requests Markus Geuken 8/25/13 1:10 PM
Without taking the time to read all the posts.

Here are my personal requests,

1. Restart the minecraft server (not entire server) every X hours. ie shut it down, with a configureable message sent from console repeating x minutes before shutdown.
2. A gui to select and edit backup increments and what time of day these should be run.
3. Set a max backup increment / configureable autoprune (Daily / weekly)
4. a list to see all selected backup/archiveing tasks currently enabled (since if you have more than one server, these could slow down the system considerably).
5. A Paypal donate button for will, on the main page or subpage.
Re: Feature Requests Elpres 9/9/13 11:42 PM
I use DynDns as it is supported by my router. What this means is that I give my router the account details and whenever the external IP changes it automatically updates the DynDNS record.

I suspect that you need to make sure your no-ip account has been updated with your current ip address. I think there is a linux client for doing the update process for no-ip but check your router.
Re: Feature Requests Brian Lowery 9/10/13 5:23 AM
I did this with no-ip under this thread:
It has been working like a charm.
My router/modem usually updates the ip every 5-7 days.
Just didnt update this post.

Brian L
Re: Feature Requests themadnun 10/24/13 3:15 PM
Live console monitoring, standard white-on black text and searchable with ctrl+f would be an amazing improvement on what is currently available in the new UI.
Re: Feature Requests Will 11/1/13 9:39 AM
On Thursday, October 24, 2013 3:15:11 PM UTC-7, themadnun wrote:
Live console monitoring, standard white-on black text and searchable with ctrl+f would be an amazing improvement on what is currently available in the new UI.

Live console monitoring seems like an unnecessary web-ui addition, in that the functionality you're already asking for has been well-refined and perfected in a number of other approaches.

It's possible to do live console monitoring via SSH:

cd /usr/games/minecraft
./mineos_console.py -d /var/games/minecraft -s servername console

Or if you don't want an SSH app, use the already-available shellinabox (ssh in a browser)

Admittedly, opening up a different browser tab and remembering/typing all this is more work than opening it up in the web-ui, but also the product I would create (way more work than can be imagined) would also be far inferior.  In other words, there's no way I could build a live console better than the live consoles already available.

Alternatively, you don't need to actually learn ./mineos_console.py syntax....you could always just screen -r to attach to (one session) or learn screen syntax to find out how to attach to one (of many) sessions.  Shellinabox is standard fare on all turnkey ISOs.

Re: Feature Requests IRQ 11/1/13 11:54 AM
I'd like to mention once again password field in WebUI. Is it possible to make browser save password? As far as I understand browser does not understand that it must save password as field is not password, it is plain text. Therefore I have to enter password every time I use WebUI. I can't tell my browser just save the password 1 time and fill it automatically.
Re: Feature Requests IRQ 12/5/13 12:21 AM
One more note - it would be nice to make buttons in web-ui more responsive. If I push buttons for update profile, create archive and so on it is not obvious that the button was really pushed. I can't understand whether I ushed it or not.

And a bit more - site icon. I think it would nice to replace cherry with something mc.
Re: Feature Requests Tim Radford 12/5/13 9:00 AM
I have actually used my personal website at 1and1 hosting to forward with an included port. This creates an "implied port forward" (that's just my description). Not every provider gives this option. I used my subdomains to control which port was used. Seemed to work fine for me. This was about a year or more ago, haven't tried since.
Re: Feature Requests apas...@gmail.com 12/11/13 2:48 PM
Would be great to have the ability to Sleep State 3 the server when noone is on for predetermined amount of time. Then wake up when a connection attempt is made.

On Wednesday, October 5, 2011 8:49:38 AM UTC-7, Deadwing wrote:
Will has done some fine work in getting this as polished as it currently is, but there is always room for improvement.  Here are some suggestions for features I've thought of while playing around with MineOS Crux in preparation for moving from my WinXP setup to MineOS.

1.  WebUI should have controls to allow you to reboot or shutdown the MineOS server.  Having to telnet to the server is a PITA

2.  A more robust Import system.  Having to SCP files to /home/mc/import is a PITA.  Why can't the WebUI send the file to the server?

3.  A server monitor for all running Minecraft servers with email notification and auto-restart if one or more servers is unresponsive.

I'll post more as I think of them.

Re: Feature Requests aihng...@gmail.com 12/11/13 7:19 PM
radio button to use -Xincgc or -Xms
Re: Feature Requests IRQ 12/13/13 10:00 AM
One more moment - a restart button for a running server.
Re: Feature Requests fire...@gmail.com 12/16/13 6:44 AM
Wedui Feature requests
1.) Download progress bar for the profiles downloading
2.) Ability to edit profile download locations

Using MineOS to host some FTB Servers and updates are a pain! You have to go in and create a new profile for each update then download with now idea on progress of the download will take. Then change the server config file to change the profile. It would be just easier to edit the profile's download location and hit download....WITHOUT ssh to the server and manually editing the file.
Re: Feature Requests IRQ 3/2/14 12:34 AM
Once again I want to ask about ajax queries to UI. Can you change the way ajax queries are made? The problem lies in IE that I'm using now. It caches all queries to UI so that it queries the page once and my UI never updates. I have to press F5 manually. The only way to solve is to change requests, it isn't possible to configure IE itself.
Re: Feature Requests Adam E 4/1/14 6:01 PM
For that cache issue of IE...

If you cannot install programs on the computer but can run any program (read: from a CD / thumb drive / etc.) you could get Firefox Portable from the Portable Apps website: http://portableapps.com
If you don't need the launcher (which is under the "Download" section) just click "Get Apps" on the page then find it under the Internet category. Don't when you get the downloads at Sourceforge (a pro- open-source website that hosts downloads for numerous projects including Notepad++) as that is the official home (but worry if you go to the wrong Portable Apps website (ex. "Portable Appz") as it could contain malware)

Just a workaround... why IE is programmed so bad, we'll never know.

Re: Feature Requests IRQ 5/16/14 7:21 AM
I can. But i don't want :) I want to use IE for the time being. As far as I rememeber it's suffice to change methods being called (ajax instead of get if I don't mistake). I changed this myself long ago but UI is updated periodically so I had to merge versions. I just gave up.

среда, 2 апреля 2014 г., 5:01:59 UTC+4 пользователь Adam E написал:
More topics »